Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2016 09:16

Hey said it before it ain't nuffin' till Harmonica Frank gets in ... The guy deserves it for Rock-A-Little Baby ....... the loosest god-damn thing next ta Charlie Feather's - One Hand Loose ... NOW there's another rockin' boy who deserves a place toooooo

And those Harmonica Frank Sun recordings are da closet fing ta Huck Finn cutting a record ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 21, 2016 13:55

While I love Molly Hatchet, I don't think they are a hall of fame act.

Date: October 21, 2016 14:03

Elmo Lewis
While I love Molly Hatchet, I don't think they are a hall of fame act.

smileys with beer Good posting

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 21, 2016 17:36

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
For some reason the RNRHOF doesn't know who The Meters are.

I believe they've been nominated before. And they are not a Hall Of Fame band.

They are only the definition of funk. That's reason enough.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2016 17:39

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
For some reason the RNRHOF doesn't know who The Meters are.

I believe they've been nominated before. And they are not a Hall Of Fame band.

They are only the definition of funk. That's reason enough.
So put them in the funk Hall Of Fame. People get all bent out of shape because its exclusive but it IS the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Why people insist on broadening the definition to include rap and stuff is beyond me. I get that there were influences, but now they are just inducting people that have nothing to do with rock and roll.

Date: October 21, 2016 17:43

Well, that's kind of the point: if Madonna and not-rock acts are in it... why not The Meters?

Date: October 21, 2016 18:13

GasLightStreet
Well, that's kind of the point: if Madonna and not-rock acts are in it... why not The Meters?

I get the argument, and I have nothing against The Meters. But every year my thought process is "despite their missteps, I try and think of the best people that still actually fit the original idea of a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame." Do certain great bands get left out in the process? Yes, but I'm just incapable of looking at it from the other way or else I would be pushing for my favorite bands like Triumph and Tesla, who I know damn well don't deserve to be in. Just the way I see it. I laugh when someone like Janet Jackson or Tupac is nominated, but hey some people agree with it so its all in the eye of the beholder.

Date: October 21, 2016 18:19

It is a bit weird. I always thought it was about acts in rock music that had huge influences on music and or maybe or helped evolve the concert industry through and because of a loyal following etc.

Perhaps it's the wrong title and should just be The Music Hall Of Fame? Although some people don't consider rap and music in the same sentence since music generally implies tuneful.

Date: October 21, 2016 18:31

GasLightStreet
It is a bit weird. I always thought it was about acts in rock music that had huge influences on music and or maybe or helped evolve the concert industry through and because of a loyal following etc.

Perhaps it's the wrong title and should just be The Music Hall Of Fame? Although some people don't consider rap and music in the same sentence since music generally implies tuneful.

And I would say those people are ignorant. I get it, I'm not a rap guy myself, although I do like Kanye West. Not as a person, but I like his songs and beats and think they are catchy. Different things click with different people.

Yeah, the Hall sort of, for no reason, because the Music Hall Of Fame, and until its changed to that name there's going to be weirdness. There is a difference between inducting early influences of rock or R&B people that have a connection to the music than just inducting Madonna who, I'm sorry, isn't rock and does not belong there. I have nothing against her talents, but she's honored enough, her being in a Rock Hall is completely for what I would assuming is broadening the Halls interest. And the second you start doing that, the whole thing crumbles. Its doomed from the beginning, but in the end only very very few people measure up to the Stones and the Beatles and thats what a Hall Of Fame is. Its for the Nirvana's who despite all odds are still a massive act. They made an impact. For awhile, the Hall was ran right. I always said they had too many inductees each year so you quickly run out. It should have been every two years or something. And there are still key people missing.

But again, until they change the name, I will laugh off suggestions like Janet Jackson and Chic (nominated a record 11 times) because they simply aren't rock. Induct someone like the Misfits or the New York Dolls or MC5. Not all bands I love, but are at least rooted in rock and are bands that wouldn't ordinarily get the credit elsewhere. THAT was the whole point of the Hall Of Fame.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:00

GasLightStreet
I always thought it was about acts in rock music that had huge influences on music
It's so media figures and industry insiders can have an annual party, with the added bonus of believing that they're the gatekeepers of pop consciousness and are shaping collective memory as to what gets carried forward.

Other than that, it's mainly about who's the more popular in a given time, who has had the biggest career, etc.

Take the Baseball Hall of Fame. No one hits .400 anymore, no one has stats like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, etc., yet there's a ballot every year and a selection of the biggest names from a given era are voted in, just because once upon a time they were big names.

Note the keyword in these types of pop culture museums: "Fame".

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:01

These 5 great artists should be part of The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

#1 - Journey

#2 - Electric Light Orchestra

#3 - Joan Baez

#4 - Yes

#5 - Pearl Jam

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 22, 2016 02:18

Where the Fook is Humble Pie?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 22, 2016 03:59

DandelionPowderman
I'm not sure if ELO or Yes deserve a «rock» nomination, but in terms of name and merits they certainly do.

J. Geils Band is probably the best rock band out of USA ever. It's a shame that they never got inducted.

Two of your worst statements ever. In fact, I'm rather shocked that this drivel managed to roll off your tongue.

If Yes does not deserve a rock nomination, what does it deserve? A set of steak knives? If you saw them in the 70's you would certainly understand.

J. Geils is a great band, but certainly not the best American band. Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Grateful Dead, CCR, etc...to name a few.

Date: October 22, 2016 04:01

The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman
I'm not sure if ELO or Yes deserve a «rock» nomination, but in terms of name and merits they certainly do.

J. Geils Band is probably the best rock band out of USA ever. It's a shame that they never got inducted.

Two of your worst statements ever. In fact, I'm rather shocked that this drivel managed to roll off your tongue.

If Yes does not deserve a rock nomination, what does it deserve? A set of steak knives? If you saw them in the 70's you would certainly understand.

J. Geils is a great band, but certainly not the best American band. Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Grateful Dead, CCR, etc...to name a few.

i have a hard time listing hendrix experience because its just 1 guy from america

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 22, 2016 04:34

black n blue
Where the Fook is Humble Pie?
Live

Just another example (in a long list) of how absurd janny's music and rap thing in Cleveland is and how far away it is from being an honest ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME. But everyone knows how silly that thing is at this point...

Someone over in Europe or Japan or Australia should start a REAL rock and roll hall of fame. Surely there is some 50-60 year old crazy rocking bazillionaire out there who would love to do this.

Set up and build a REAL RnR HOF and allow ONLY real rock and roll bands in. And make sure rock and roll bands world wide are represented and nominated. And just to make the point at the start, the mission statement of the REAL RNR HOF should specifically exclude every non-worthy act that somehow made it in to janny's farce in Cleveland, unless those acts somehow in the future become actual rock and roll bands

Can someone get David Walsh or someone like him on the phone and get this done before the end of the world happens.

... so anyway... I wonder if Bob Dylan has acknowledged the Nobel people yet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-22 04:45 by HankM.

Date: October 22, 2016 04:49

It's a good bet that Yawn Weener hasn't even heard of The Sonics.

Sonics page of "Not in Hall of Fame": [www.notinhalloffame.com]

Main page for "Not in Hall of Fame": [www.notinhalloffame.com]

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 22, 2016 06:28

keefriffhard4life
The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

i have a hard time listing hendrix experience because its just 1 guy from america

Billy Cox and Buddy Miles were American. I think Hendrix would be termed an American artist rather than the Experience being an American band. Billy Cox took over on bass after Redding. In addition, many of the studio outtakes feature Cox and/or Miles.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-22 06:36 by boogaloojef.

Date: October 22, 2016 17:05

boogaloojef
keefriffhard4life
The Sicilian
DandelionPowderman

Billy Cox and Buddy Miles were American. I think Hendrix would be termed an American artist rather than the Experience being an American band. Billy Cox took over on bass after Redding. In addition, many of the studio outtakes feature Cox and/or Miles.

yeah but the original band that made him famous was 2 english gents and hendrix.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 22, 2016 19:30

The J. Geils Band is the BEST LIVE AMERICAN BAND EVER.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 22, 2016 22:35

IMHO The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame has changed drastically. I was there at the start of RNRHOF. It was my idea to show videos at the induction ceremonies at the Waldorf Astoria. I did the very first video presentation for them. I was also on the nomination committee and voted for who should get in. I voted for about 5 or 6 years then stopped. I was "verbally" promised I could do the video presentations for the next few years. It was a promise that was broken.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame was about the induction of Artist and bands that were about and who helped start Rock n Roll and people who helped influence it. You had to have a record released for at least 25 years to be on the list. Then people in the music press, record business and some other Rock n Roll related thing voted.. . First though a lot of big record company CEO's. who helped put the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame together along with a few other people high up first picked out 10-15 artist/bands and that list was then mailed out to writers/photographers/managers and many other people(maybe 1500 people??) and we would vote on our top 7.
Voting went like this.... our first choice would get X amount of points and our second choice getting a little less X amount of points and so on down to our 7th choice. Then the totals were added and the highest 7 point total people were who got in. For Example I could pick "Elvis Presley" as my first choice and he would get say 15 points while my 7th choice "1910 Fruit Gum Company' would get only 1 point.
Sadly (or unfairly I believe) for example if 14 people voted Elvis as their 7th choice and he only got 1 point per persons vote and just one person voted for say the "1910 Fruit Gum Company" as their #1 choice and they got 15 points. The 1910 FGC would get in (with 15 points) and Elvis with 14 points wouldn't, get in, even though more people (14) voted for Elvis and only 1 person voted for The 1910 Fruit Gum Company.
So there may have been many artist that had more people voting.for them but didn't have the point total to get in, which could explain why some artist we think should have been inducted didn't get in and wonder why others got in.
Some of the choices(artist) today we have leave one to scratch their head.. It looks to me that one day they will be inducting "cover bands".into the Hall of Fame.

Date: October 23, 2016 01:13

VideoJames
IMHO The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame has changed drastically. I was there at the start of RNRHOF. It was my idea to show videos at the induction ceremonies at the Waldorf Astoria. I did the very first video presentation for them. I was also on the nomination committee and voted for who should get in. I voted for about 5 or 6 years then stopped. I was "verbally" promised I could do the video presentations for the next few years. It was a promise that was broken.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame was about the induction of Artist and bands that were about and who helped start Rock n Roll and people who helped influence it. You had to have a record released for at least 25 years to be on the list. Then people in the music press, record business and some other Rock n Roll related thing voted.. . First though a lot of big record company CEO's. who helped put the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame together along with a few other people high up first picked out 10-15 artist/bands and that list was then mailed out to writers/photographers/managers and many other people(maybe 1500 people??) and we would vote on our top 7.
Voting went like this.... our first choice would get X amount of points and our second choice getting a little less X amount of points and so on down to our 7th choice. Then the totals were added and the highest 7 point total people were who got in. For Example I could pick "Elvis Presley" as my first choice and he would get say 15 points while my 7th choice "1910 Fruit Gum Company' would get only 1 point.
Sadly (or unfairly I believe) for example if 14 people voted Elvis as their 7th choice and he only got 1 point per persons vote and just one person voted for say the "1910 Fruit Gum Company" as their #1 choice and they got 15 points. The 1910 FGC would get in (with 15 points) and Elvis with 14 points wouldn't, get in, even though more people (14) voted for Elvis and only 1 person voted for The 1910 Fruit Gum Company.
So there may have been many artist that had more people voting.for them but didn't have the point total to get in, which could explain why some artist we think should have been inducted didn't get in and wonder why others got in.
Some of the choices(artist) today we have leave one to scratch their head.. It looks to me that one day they will be inducting "cover bands".into the Hall of Fame.

Very interesting, Thank you for the insight. It is cool you were there at the beginning, no matter what a farce it has turned in to.

You have my thanks for doing your part in the early years. It was all very cool for awhile. Thank You!! smileys with beer

Last night I was looking at the inductees list over the years and the early years were fine. I remember being excited and happy back in the day that there was going to be a RNR HOF, my music would have a HOF!! HOORAY!! I even went there to see it. Then.. over time..... you know.... I guess that is why I am so harsh when I talk it about these days.

And yeah... I wont be surprised next year when they start inducting DJs like Calvin Harris, Paris Hilton and Daft Punk...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 23, 2016 01:15

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame was about the induction of Artist and bands that were about and who helped start Rock n Roll and people who helped influence it

That's right but if they kept with this the RARHOF would have ended years ago..................

Date: October 23, 2016 02:39

VideoJames
It looks to me that one day they will be inducting "cover bands".into the Hall of Fame.
In that case, my vote is for Vanilla Fudge.

Vanilla Fudge page of "Not in Hall of Fame": [www.notinhalloffame.com]

Date: October 23, 2016 02:45

NICOS
The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame was about the induction of Artist and bands that were about and who helped start Rock n Roll and people who helped influence it

That's right but if they kept with this the RARHOF would have ended years ago..................
The institution itself would still be around, just the annual induction ceremonies would have ended.

Regarding the above "who helped start Rock n Roll and people who helped influence it", one glaring omission is Link Wray, which proves that people who know absolutely nothing about rock and roll and its history shouldn't be given the responsibility of voting on a museum dedicated to celebrating the music and its history.

Link Wray page of "Not in Hall of Fame": [www.notinhalloffame.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 23, 2016 03:55

The Cars

Date: October 23, 2016 04:28

shattered
The Cars

Excellent example of a rock and roll band that influenced the genre, pushed it in different new original directions, released multiple good albums and stayed rock and roll.

Of course I am sure some here will bash on The Cars like they bash on Queen and other groups. I am not going to argue opinions, but I think The Cars and Ric Ocasek are deserving. Not to mention Ric has been married to the same super hot wife since 1989...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-23 04:31 by HankM.

Date: October 23, 2016 05:05

the cars should be in for sure so should janes addiction

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 23, 2016 06:14

The hall is one big joke. Beatles are legends and Joan Jett is in makes me wanna puke!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 24, 2016 00:05

Before I left the voting committee of the RnRHOF I had been pushing for Ed Sullivan to be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame but it fell to deaf ears. Ed had a show that reach many millions of viewers and had artist like Bo Diddly,Sam Cooke,Jackie Wilson etc. on in the 50's. These artist really weren't getting any national exposure on TV back then. Yes, Ed at first did not want Elvis on his show but later did realize Rock n Roll was going to be big. His having The Beatles on 3 weeks in a row in Feb. 1964 was never done before and this helped open the door for the British invasion and Rock n Roll. I think Ed Should be in one day..Yes, I also believe the RnRHOF has gone down hill and has lost it original direction.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 00:42

VideoJames

I completely agree on your logic for Ed Sullivan. He probably did more for RnR than most of the folks in the HoF.

I think in realty the HoF is basically meaningless when you really get down to it.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home