Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 7, 2016 17:17

Hairball -> Thanks so much for the detailed instructions/summary of your purchase experience with the three for one offer. After deciding that I really didn’t need the deluxe edition and buying the standard edition at a local store on Friday when it was released, I became more and more interested in the offer after reading all of the posts here. I just followed your instructions and now can confirm that there will be three deluxe packages headed my direction in the near future.

AMERICANS (USA) I live outside Knoxville, TN and CAN CONFIRM that Hiarball’s instructions on PAGE 82 of this thread DO INDEED WORK for delivery in the USA. At least they did for me and I hope that they will for you if you try.

From my Order Details page:
3 of Blue & Lonesome
The Rolling Stones
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£29.16
Condition: New

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 87.48
Postage & Packing: GBP 5.06
Total Before VAT: GBP 25.06
VAT: GBP 0.00
Total:
Promotion Applied: -GBP 67.48
Grand Total: GBP 25.06
Payment Grand Total: USD 32.96

Arriving 29 Dec 2016 - 5 Jan 2017.

GasLightStreet -> Windows Media Player was/is the same for me regarding not recognizing the album. Interesting to me though: The copy disc I burned using Media Player WAS recognized by my blue-ray/surround system with full artwork when I played the burned disc in there. Also, my google play account, which links to my computer’s music folder successfully identified the album as well. I guess 2 out of 3 ain’t bad, right?

Again, Thanks Hairball for the instructions! You’ve allowed this American to spend a bit of money he didn’t necessarily intend to… AND BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2016 17:18

DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

Mick Jagger is not mentionned playing guitar on the twelve songs, Yet he is seen playing guitar on different photos (artprint, book, digipack ...). Has anybody spotted his guitar in the music, have his guitar tracks been removed ? Or are the photos not from the sessions for Blue & Lonesome ?

I can't read all 83 pages on Blue & Lonesome, so pardon me if this question has been discussed before.

resotele

We're still going a bit back and forth about whether there is an acoustic guitar (center-left) on Commit A Crime - or if it's percussion that we're hearing.

Sounds like an acoustic to me.

Date: December 7, 2016 17:22

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

Mick Jagger is not mentionned playing guitar on the twelve songs, Yet he is seen playing guitar on different photos (artprint, book, digipack ...). Has anybody spotted his guitar in the music, have his guitar tracks been removed ? Or are the photos not from the sessions for Blue & Lonesome ?

I can't read all 83 pages on Blue & Lonesome, so pardon me if this question has been discussed before.

resotele

We're still going a bit back and forth about whether there is an acoustic guitar (center-left) on Commit A Crime - or if it's percussion that we're hearing.

Everytime I think that, I start wonder whether it is Charlie or Jim Keltner doing something smiling smiley It's only there in bits, and strategically placed, too.

It might very well be an acoustic (with which nobody is credited, though).

Date: December 7, 2016 17:32

Send It To me
GasLightStreet
Like it matters. They have 3000 albums, they haven't done one in 11 years and since Wyman quit they've done THREE albums.

Who gives a shit? ENJOY IT.

I count as four albums since Wyman left. Missing fourth: (1) Highwire, (2) Sex Drive, (3) Like A Rolling Stone, (4) Don't Stop (5) Keys to Your Love (6) Stealing My Heart, (7) Losing My Touch (8) Plundered My Soul, (9) Doom & Gloom (10) One More Shot

Well you're wrong. Those weren't released on a new studio album. That's like saying BLACK AND BLUE is a longer album if you include THE ROLLING STONES EP. Doesn't work that way.

They did three studio albums after Wyman quit. B&L is the fourth. Besides, you included 2 songs they did with Wyman in 1991 that were tagged onto a live album.

Not sure what you did to screw up the quoting, Send It To Me, but it was a pretty good job. Here's what you intended, I suppose, to quote:

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
Isn't this uncalled for blues cover album really a case of procrastination? And an indication of the fact that the prospect of a fresh, new album is pretty slim by now?

Well, if it is, so what!

Like it matters. They have 3000 albums, they haven't done one in 11 years and since Wyman quit they've done THREE albums.

Who gives a shit? ENJOY IT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 17:37 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 7, 2016 17:40

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

resotele

Everytime I think that, I start wonder whether it is Charlie or Jim Keltner doing something smiling smiley It's only there in bits, and strategically placed, too.

There are just a couple of gaps where it's the most audible. It does sound like an acoustic guitar being essentially hand muted. Keltner is credited only on Hoo Doo Blues.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 7, 2016 18:19

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

resotele

The term "Guitar" may include the subspecies "Acoustic Guitar".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2016 18:33

mr_dja
Hairball -> Thanks so much for the detailed instructions/summary of your purchase experience with the three for one offer. After deciding that I really didn’t need the deluxe edition and buying the standard edition at a local store on Friday when it was released, I became more and more interested in the offer after reading all of the posts here. I just followed your instructions and now can confirm that there will be three deluxe packages headed my direction in the near future.

AMERICANS (USA) I live outside Knoxville, TN and CAN CONFIRM that Hiarball’s instructions on PAGE 82 of this thread DO INDEED WORK for delivery in the USA. At least they did for me and I hope that they will for you if you try.

3 of Blue & Lonesome
The Rolling Stones
£29.16

Order Summary
Total:

GasLightStreet -> Windows Media Player was/is the same for me regarding not recognizing the album. Interesting to me though: The copy disc I burned using Media Player WAS recognized by my blue-ray/surround system with full artwork when I played the burned disc in there. Also, my google play account, which links to my computer’s music folder successfully identified the album as well. I guess 2 out of 3 ain’t bad, right?

Again, Thanks Hairball for the instructions! You’ve allowed this American to spend a bit of money he didn’t necessarily intend to… AND BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!

Peace,
Mr DJA

From one American (in California) to another American (in Tennessee) - you're welcome Mr DJA!thumbs up

There must have been some very minor fluctuation in the exchange rate between the time we placed our orders, as I paid 21 more cents than you!

(Order Total: GBP 25.06)
Payment Total: USD 33.17

I've already received (two) email notifications that my order "has been dispatched"...for some reason they're sending two separate packages - first one containing one deluxe, the second one containing the other two.
Leave it to the Brits to complicate things more than they need to be (trust me I should know - my wife is originally from England and it can get very complicated winking smiley )!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 18:37 by Hairball.

Date: December 7, 2016 18:38

mr_dja

Since I did the LP cover myself and typed in the songs etc I'm waiting to see if it transfers like that to Google Music Player so I can listen to it elsewhere via my phone.

That's one way around iTunes - GOOGLE!

Date: December 7, 2016 19:13

GasLightStreet
mr_dja

Since I did the LP cover myself and typed in the songs etc I'm waiting to see if it transfers like that to Google Music Player so I can listen to it elsewhere via my phone.

That's one way around iTunes - GOOGLE!

On my google play (computer) I did have to use the "edit info" after the tracks were uploaded (I typed all the information myself into media player as well but did not include the artwork) but, thankfully, on each one, the "use suggestions" option was available as google clearly recognized the files and had the links to the artwork already in place. Not sure about my phone as, due to me needing to clear memory space on the phone itself, none of my recent google play updates have shown up in a month or so.

Peace,

Mr DJA

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 7, 2016 19:14

Despite the content of the review (they gave it a decent 6,9/100 though) the very fact that a Rolling Stones new record made the pages of snobbish Pitchfork is a sign they made some wide noise with B&L.

About the content: scrapping off the snob shit it tells some truths (if unpleasant) about the band looked at from a critical distance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 19:15 by maumau.

Date: December 7, 2016 19:32

maumau
Despite the content of the review (they gave it a decent 6,9/100 though) the very fact that a Rolling Stones new record made the pages of snobbish Pitchfork is a sign they made some wide noise with B&L.

About the content: scrapping off the snob shit it tells some truths (if unpleasant) about the band looked at from a critical distance.

Thanks maumau. thumbs up

"they don’t really give a shit about being a contemporary concern anymore, so they’re just going to do something that feels good".

Keith deserves some credit for steering the band in this direction with the 'don't give a shit' attitude as heard on Crosseyed Heart.

"But for the most part, Blue & Lonesome doesn’t aspire to be anything more than a good-time frolic among old pals (Eric Clapton cameos included),
with the interchangeable, upbeat takes on Buddy Johnson’s “Just Your Fool” and Eddie Taylor’s “Ride ‘Em on Down”
more conducive to knee-tapping in a seated supper club than tearing the roof off a juke joint".

That just about sums it up for me, but glad to have a new Stones album where there's nothing cringeworthy!

Date: December 7, 2016 19:34

Hairball
mr_dja

3 of Blue & Lonesome
The Rolling Stones
£29.16

Order Summary
Total:

Peace,
Mr DJA

From one American (in California) to another American (in Tennessee) - you're welcome Mr DJA!thumbs up

There must have been some very minor fluctuation in the exchange rate between the time we placed our orders, as I paid 21 more cents than you!

(Order Total: GBP 25.06)
Payment Total: USD 33.17

I've already received (two) email notifications that my order "has been dispatched"...for some reason they're sending two separate packages - first one containing one deluxe, the second one containing the other two.
Leave it to the Brits to complicate things more than they need to be (trust me I should know - my wife is originally from England and it can get very complicated winking smiley )!

Interesting to see (based on results) that the currency conversion must be done in "real time". I can't imagine that there would be a $0.21 difference between Tennessee & California.

So far, I've just received one email confirming my order. Looking forward to getting as many shipping confirmations as they deem necessary to get me the discs! Although I'm sure your wife could give us more details, I did have a conversation with an amazon.com reseller a couple years back (I buy a fair amount of cds from amazon and one seller in particular based in London) who, when one of my orders had been broken up into multiple shipments, explained to me that, regardless of where they are shipping to, they don't send anything out that is too large to go through the "Mail slots in the doors" of their local (London) customers. Like you said, leave it to the Brits to complicate things, right??

Thanks again for all the effort you put into sharing the instructions with us. I'm kinda liking that site... I found a listing for the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds Super Deluxe" (amazon.de) that I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2016 19:41

Date: December 7, 2016 19:51

Nice pic Cristiano!

@Mr DJA

I also buy a fair amount of cd's from the US amazon marketplace resellers - several of which are based England.
Some of the deals are extraordinary when compared to some of the 'deals' in the US - especially when you consider the time, effort, overseas shipping, etc. thumbs up

Date: December 7, 2016 19:59

Hairball

Thanks maumau. thumbs up

"they don’t really give a shit about being a contemporary concern anymore, so they’re just going to do something that feels good".

Keith deserves some credit for steering the band in this direction with the 'don't give a shit' attitude as heard on Crosseyed Heart.

"But for the most part, Blue & Lonesome doesn’t aspire to be anything more than a good-time frolic among old pals (Eric Clapton cameos included),
with the interchangeable, upbeat takes on Buddy Johnson’s “Just Your Fool” and Eddie Taylor’s “Ride ‘Em on Down”
more conducive to knee-tapping in a seated supper club than tearing the roof off a juke joint".

That just about sums it up for me, but glad to have a new Stones album where there's nothing cringeworthy!

1 yes I do believe the dont give a shit attitude is something Keith brought in and it was effective

2 it is the old story of the glass half full / half empty. me I dont feel any empty feeling about the new stones record. maybe because my ears can listen separately to Hate to see you go (now, 2016, 73 years olds) and Shake your hips (then, 1972, 30 years old) and they dont merge in a way that makes my knee feel blue grinning smiley

expectations maybe? dont know

and yes agree I dont miss the cringeworthy stones here!

enjoy smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 20:01 by maumau.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 7, 2016 19:59

enjoying the album.

sorry...haven't visited iorr in a while...so I am unaware of all details. i am aware that this album came about spontaneously as a result the band being in the studio to write new material...and wanted get things kick-started by playing some blues. does anyone know if there was also new material written/recorded at the same time? thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 7, 2016 20:23

Opinions differ greatly on the likelihood of another studio album.

As you say, sweet neo con, the band were in the studio with another purpose in mind, but whether there is / will be enough to form another album remains unknown.

I'm treating Blue & Lonesome as a coda, but will be happy to be proved wrong.

Olly.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2016 20:46

UK sales update (Friday/Tuesday)

1 Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (87,069)
2 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together (48,831)
3 Little Mix - Glory Days (39,568)
4 Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You (38,370)
5 Olly Murs - 24 HRS (28,652)

12k sold yesterday, the Amazon deal is killing the competition.
The album is on track to be the second best debut of the year in the UK and the best first week EVER for the Stones in homeland, beating the opening sales of 40 Licks on 2002 (99,800 copies)

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 7, 2016 20:55

georgelicks

The album is on track to be the second best debut of the year in the UK and the best first week EVER for the Stones in homeland, beating the opening sales of 40 Licks on 2002 (99,800 copies)

"Best first week EVER". This is amazing. Do you or your contacts have any theories as to why it so popular, georgelicks?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:10

Harlem Shuffler
georgelicks

"Best first week EVER". This is amazing. Do you or your contacts have any theories as to why it so popular, georgelicks?

I have; look at the competition ? Competition used in the loosest possible sense.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:14

Considerable and diverse advertising campaign and released just in time for Christmas.

Olly.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:34

... okay, so for the most part people seem pleased, it would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned, if they also did reggae & country covers albums - plus keith would surely sing at least a song or two on each.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:44

LeonidP
... okay, so for the most part people seem pleased, it would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned, if they also did reggae & country covers albums - plus keith would surely sing at least a song or two on each.

A reggae album would be great!

Date: December 7, 2016 21:51

LeonidP

I've had similar thoughts, as well... With a few conditions...

Only if Mick agreed to do the country album without attempting to affect a "psudo-country/southern accent".

The reggae album I'm not really all that sure about.

Two others that I'd like to hear:

1) A soul/r&b covers album
2) A rock & roll covers album
both with new covers as opposed to new version of the soul/r&b/r&r songs they've already covered.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:56

Harlem Shuffler

I'd also be curious to hear what georgelicks' contacts at Universal are saying after this debut.

Personally, I think it's a combination of being the kind of novelty concept that tends to be an easy sell around the holidays (think Rod Stewart's Songbook albums), as well as a reminder of what everyone loves about the Stones.

Blue And Lonesome actually makes the band seem cool again and it restores some of the menace and edge that's absent whenever they try to manufacture a modern pop hit. The public no longer looks to this band expecting a dance hit but few can deliver something this pure and organic with the same level of authority.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 7, 2016 22:07

mr_dja
Only if Mick agreed to do the country album without attempting to affect a "psudo-country/southern accent".

The reggae album I'm not really all that sure about.

Two others that I'd like to hear:

1) A soul/r&b covers album
2) A rock & roll covers album
both with new covers as opposed to new version of the soul/r&b/r&r songs they've already covered.

I think the smart money (at least at the record label) is probably going to be on another blues album. The Stones just aren't as closely identified with country and reggae enough to justify an entire album devoted to those genres.

The best option would probably be a mix of original tunes combined with a few blues and soul covers- essentially making the kind of album that could've been released in the early 60s. I'm just not sure Mick would approve of such an approach. Since 1989, he seems to have become very adamant about only including new material on Stones albums- presumably to give the impression of still being a prolific artist.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 7, 2016 22:32

Turns out the record company is Micks best producer as far as what music genre the public will embrace. Low and behold some good old Rolling Stones music. Hopefully the new album will also lean in that direction also. PLEASE...drinking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 7, 2016 22:40

Olly
Opinions differ greatly on the likelihood of another studio album.

As you say, sweet neo con, the band were in the studio with another purpose in mind, but whether there is / will be enough to form another album remains unknown.

I'm treating Blue & Lonesome as a coda, but will be happy to be proved wrong.

i just got around to reading the Rolling Stone Magazine interview...and it seems they are intent on finishing the album of original material started back in Dec 2015 (when B&L was recorded). If I recall, i think it was Ronnie that said Mick had 10-12 songs and I think Keith mentioned that they even had material "from 15 yrs ago" they would revisit. Guess that would make it from the 40 Licks NEW MATERIAL sessions that included Don't Stop etc....

IMO best option (for next album) would be what howlingmad suggested...a mixture of new material and blues covers.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 22:41 by sweet neo con.

Date: December 7, 2016 22:51

for the next lbum I hope they just mantain the "i dont give a shit" attitude that led them to put out a great record as b&l

no need more blues covers just keep that attitude whater is the material

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 7, 2016 23:00

maumau
for the next lbum I hope they just mantain the "i dont give a shit" attitude that led them to put out a great record as b&l

no need more blues covers just keep that attitude whater is the material

thumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home