Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:54

MartinB
I am glad that somebody else feels that the vocals is the weak point of the otherwise very strong record. I don't think Mick is a blues singer; his singing does not have the balls of the great masters..

Not sure what you heard, but it certainly wasn't the same thing I have been listening to.

Date: December 9, 2016 14:00

MartinB
I am glad that somebody else feels that the vocals is the weak point of the otherwise very strong record. I don't think Mick is a blues singer; his singing does not have the balls of the great masters..

LeonidP

Not sure what you heard, but it certainly wasn't the same thing I have been listening to.

I don't think I've ever heard cooler blues singing than on Hoo Doo Blues and Little Rain.

Mick's voice is perfect for blues now. Now, he has a bit darker voice, hence his singing is more credible and authentic than in his younger years.

This is Mick's best singing since Undercover, imo. I know many don't like that album, but his singing on it was excellent.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 9, 2016 14:11

okay okay... It is not what I hear but what I like. Son House, Bukka White... Personal preference.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 14:14

OK so that's a blues purist's opinion.

But this is The Rolling Stones...
singing THE BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
at their best, baby !

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 14:23 by 1962.

Date: December 9, 2016 14:24

DandelionPowderman
MartinB

I don't think I've ever heard cooler blues singing than on Hoo Doo Blues and Little Rain.

Mick's voice is perfect for blues now. Now, he has a bit darker voice, hence his singing is more credible and authentic than in his younger years.

This is Mick's best singing since Undercover, imo. I know many don't like that album, but his singing on it was excellent.

Absolutely agree!

Date: December 9, 2016 14:25

MartinB
okay okay... It is not what I hear but what I like. Son House, Bukka White... Personal preference.

I love those cats as well. Add Leadbelly to the mix.

But Mick is my favourite singer smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 9, 2016 14:29

"I don't think I've ever heard cooler blues singing..."

Yes the right word for Mick's singing is: COOL

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 9, 2016 14:40

Where is Doxa? I miss his erudite analysis. Did he make a big farewell that i may have missed?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 9, 2016 14:52

The Stones DO listen to us even if it does take 8 years for them to act upon our wishes winking smiley Ignore Harlem Shuffler at your peril!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()

Date: September 27, 2008 21:42

With Amy Winehouse and Duffy selling their retro music in enormous quantities (deservedly so IMHO), wouldn't it be great if the Stones went back to their roots instead of producing the uninspired rock (NOT rock 'n' roll) that has littered their releases for so long.
The less polish on the production the better.
I agree with the "less is more" comments above as far as the number of tracks is concerned.

Date: December 9, 2016 14:57

peoplewitheyes
Where is Doxa? I miss his erudite analysis. Did he make a big farewell that i may have missed?

Right now he's busy posting in a thread bearing his own name (on a different board)..

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 9, 2016 15:23

why did he leave here? i cant be the only one who misses him

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 9, 2016 15:39

Isn't it Jagger being Jagger? Bulletin: Mick Jagger really isn't Howling' Wolf, Magic Slim, Willie Dixon or Eddie Taylor. Refreshing vocals on B&L, harkens back to Dear Doctor and Melody!!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2016 15:52

peoplewitheyes

From January: [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 9, 2016 15:59

OMG the weak part is the vocals *guffaw*
Lawd have mercy.
I think that is the funniest post on IORR.
Take the wax out.
Get the lead out.

Date: December 9, 2016 16:02

35love
OMG the weak part is the vocals *guffaw*
Lawd have mercy.
I think that is the funniest post on IORR.
Take the wax out.
Get the lead out.

Yeah, when Mick finally ditches the «contrived mannerism» in his singing (except for a couple of places in All Of Your Love and I Can't Quit You Baby), some people don't like that either. No criticism from me, it's just a little surprising smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 16:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:23

Melody Maker April 6, 1963

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:32

DandelionPowderman

Right now he's busy posting in a thread bearing his own name (on a different board)..

A link please? Would love to know what he thinks about B&L.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:04

Deltics

[i417.photobucket.com]
Melody Maker April 6, 1963

Love that quote...
"Unrepressed Rhythm 'N' Blues with unmitigating, ebullient, perturbing Rollin' Stones

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:05

at their best, baby !

I disagree - they have done a lot better. Listen to the band at their bluesiest in the early 60s, late 60s, early to mid 70s. When I heard their debut album i couldnt connect those little pics on the back sleeve to the music and the vocals. I knew they had to have another singer. This is Peter Pan pretending to sing the blues. I enjoy some of the music but thats about it.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:49

no.. really... they ve done better in the 60ies and early seventies?... i'm shocked
need a time machine immediately cant stand living here and now a minute more

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:10

Redhotcarpet

at their best, baby !

I disagree - they have done a lot better. Listen to the band at their bluesiest in the early 60s, late 60s, early to mid 70s. When I heard their debut album i couldnt connect those little pics on the back sleeve to the music and the vocals. I knew they had to have another singer. This is Peter Pan pretending to sing the blues. I enjoy some of the music but thats about it.

It's not about "past glory" and all that. It's about NOW. That's all it is. So what if they've done better in the past. In the past they've also done worse (DIRTY WORK through A BIGGER BANG is a great example). Weirdly enough A BIGGER BANG is quite raw but some of it is too baked (Streets Of Love, Rain Fall Down, Sweet Neo Con) and it's too long.

This blows all of those albums away. No one is saying it's better than (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS). Just that it's about damn time they did something good.

Date: December 9, 2016 18:30

GasLightStreet

at their best, baby !

It's not about "past glory" and all that. It's about NOW. That's all it is. So what if they've done better in the past. In the past they've also done worse (DIRTY WORK through A BIGGER BANG is a great example). Weirdly enough A BIGGER BANG is quite raw but some of it is too baked (Streets Of Love, Rain Fall Down, Sweet Neo Con) and it's too long.

This blows all of those albums away. No one is saying it's better than (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS). Just that it's about damn time they did something good.

Exactly!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:32

Maindefender

Isn't it Jagger being Jagger? Bulletin: Mick Jagger really isn't Howling' Wolf, Magic Slim, Willie Dixon or Eddie Taylor. Refreshing vocals on B&L, harkens back to Dear Doctor and Melody!!

The blues are a personal thing. Every blues singer is simply expressing themselves. Mick has an uncanny ability to translate/mimic whatever music genre he chooses to sing. He puts his own unique stamp on it. This is the genius of Jagger as vocalist. B and L is an excellent example of this.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:34

GasLightStreet

at their best, baby !

They did something very good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:36

What's up with the quoting being so weird?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:43

jlowe

I suspect the (commercial) success of the new album has rather caught Mick and the boys at Universal by surprise. Lets hope it gives them the motivation and confidence to finish an album of new material and then tour to promote.

With the commercial success, wondering if Mick will ever dig this out of the vaults for an official release?

Mick Jagger & The Red Devils - The Blues Sessions (June 1992)

Vocals: Mick Jagger
Harp: Lester Butler
Guitar: Paul Size
Bass: Jonny Ray Bartel
Drums: Bill Bateman

Producer Rick Rubin was working on Mick Jagger's third solo album when he recommended the Rolling Stones musician link up with blues-rock band, The Red Devils. After performing live with them in spring of 1992, they all set out to the studio for a rumored 13-hour recording session in Hollywood where they recorded 12 tracks, many of which were unrehearsed or finished with only one or two takes. The songs remain officially unreleased with the exception of "Checkin' Up On My Baby" which was released on the 1997 The Very Best of Mick Jagger. One to three takes were done for each track, which can be found elsewhere, this video has one take for each of the twelve different tracks recorded.

Have to say I honestly enjoy this more than Blue and Lonesome - there's simply more grit, raunch, and sincerity (band and vocals), although I might be a bit biased. I grew up with Red Devil singer/harmonica player Lester Butler (or Les as he we knew him) in Santa Monica. Being a few years older, my friends and I looked up to him as he was a great harp player even way before he recorded anything. He'd sit in with bands at high school parties, jamming along to just about anything (he sang a mean version of Radar Love!). When word was out that he was recording with Mick Jagger, everyone was blown away that good old Les was actually 'making it big'. He and his band eventually went on to bigger things - festivals in Europe, etc., and then he formed his own blues band - 13. Sadly, Mick decided to not release the album officially other than one tune on his 'greatest hits', and it's all remained a boot ever since. Tragically Les OD'd on heroin before he could really enjoy the fruits of his labor in 1998, but his officially released albums are a reminder of his greatness as a blues singer and harmonica player. This unreleased Mick collaboration showcases his virtuosity as a harmonica player. So now with the success of B&L and it's blues covers, hoping there's a chance Mick might dig into the vaults and release this - I don't see any reason why not. It would probably sell more than all of his previously released solo albums, and would certainly be better received.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:55

I think that on B&L Mick is singing very well, but nothing truly different from what I have been hearing in the past 4 years.

What I always loved about Mick's way of singing the blues is that he always sings with his natural voice without trying to reproduce the usual stereotyped "blues vocals" (you know, the growl, the deep tone etc) as most white blues singers (clapton of from the cradle, for example).

The timbre of Mick's voice is quite unusual in the blues context. This is the reason why - I think - the vocals on the Stones' blues songs at first might sound slightly odd to the ears of "blues purists". You got to move is a good example: the sound of the band is familiar, it falls perfectly in the tradition, the vocals do not.

On the other hand, Mick's phrasing, accents, time etc. is so competent and respectful of the tradition, that yes, I truly think that he can be regarded as (also) a great blues singer.

To make another example, take his duets with blues giants Muddy Waters or Buddy Guy. First verse, you have the feel of an uneven match, but by the end of the song Mick always conquers you and sounds 100% authentic.

The same applies to this album.

At first, with the vocals of the original artists so deeply imprinted in my mind, Mick's vocals did sound odd. But after repeated listening, he did it again, he won me completely!

Truly a great performance!!!

C

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:07

peoplewitheyes
why did he leave here? i cant be the only one who misses him

In the end nobody really misses anyone. We are all just a bunch of music nomads.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:42

Jagger can sing and evoke feelings. Purist or not. Just listen to any number on Let it Bleed, Exile, ghs, b&b. Or why not the blues Still a föll - one of the best covers ever.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:49

Ouch, I still haven't heard it! Will get it for my Birthday from my sister in two weeks. I am avoiding youtube and other sources in order not to hear anything in advance. I am so much looking forward to sitting down with headphones and the booklet and some wine.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home