Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 6, 2016 09:36

Idorh
just enjoy. Great album.

thumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:00

I listen to it still, and I think it's head and shoulders above people like Beth Hart, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, who are considered Blues rock.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:10

Hairball
And from the same review above:

"It’s the best work they’ve done in many years, but it would be a mistake to paint “Blue & Lonesome” as being anywhere close to their glory days".

I can't argue with that, though some might beg to differ.

Spot on. And of course they can play and and really feel or be or have the blues, they sure have in the past, but to my ears this is (mostly) a bit too much blues&roll. Im left with the impression this is a Jagger plays the harmonica showcase.

Date: December 6, 2016 10:18

I really like the guitar and the guitar sound on little rain thumbs up

Date: December 6, 2016 10:21

"It’s the best work they’ve done in many years, but it would be a mistake to paint “Blue & Lonesome” as being anywhere close to their glory days. The Rolling Stones have hit “reset” with this entertaining collection and, in so doing, have avoided sounding like a parody of themselves.

For a band with 54 years on the clock, that’s no small achievement."

http://nypost.com/2016/12/01/the-rolling-stones-blue-lonesome-is-their-best-work-in-years/

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:28

tomcasagranda
I listen to it still, and I think it's head and shoulders above people like Beth Hart, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, who are considered Blues rock.

oh my for sure! I was about to report your post for quoting Joe Bonamassa in a Stones related forum grinning smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:42

Redhotcarpet
Hairball

"It’s the best work they’ve done in many years, but it would be a mistake to paint “Blue & Lonesome” as being anywhere close to their glory days".

Spot on. And of course they can play and and really feel or be or have the blues, they sure have in the past, but to my ears this is (mostly) a bit too much blues&roll. Im left with the impression this is a Jagger plays the harmonica showcase.

Now I wonder, if I may ask, "(mostly) a bit too much blues&roll", too much for what?

From my listening, independent of rumours of what album the Stones might or might not release, among other music, I have during the preceding months listened to my not too many blues albums (approximately 40). This time around, the very song that made the greatest impression on me, was ..... Little Walter's "Blue And Lonesome".

Yesterday night, I confronted the Stones version with Little Walter and his band's original. In the first place, the versions were more alike than I had thought. Secondly, Stones'version "survived" the demanding test. I can't nominate a superior version. [Added : Of course, I don't claim to be "neutral", by taste I have got and will always have a certain bias in favour of the Rolling Stones.]

Then I must temporarily conclude, at least some songs on the album are a token of a late golden moment in their career. A moment of glory. Only time and many more listenings will decide if that is going to be and remain a main impression of this album. For has the album got the staying power, I (and we) can't know yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 10:48 by Witness.

Posted by: biggzee ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:51

CD Box set currently £10 on Amazon UK, just ordered one! 08.50am UK time.

biggzee

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:53

Redhotcarpet
Hairball

blues&roll, that's exactly what I like in that and makes this collection enjoyable for me or makes it far from a boring karaoke, imo. I see the "jagger's harmonica showcase" but actually I can't regret. though I wonder what could have been if horns would substitute here and there in some tracks. But I am really satisfied with the result.

The glory days argument is tricky here. I speak for myself, you will never hear me say "best since..." And with this record exspecially, for the very good reason that you cant compare a cover collection with album of originals. I am keen to enjoy what I have for what it is, if it is enjoyable ;-) and I think B&L is.

To compare (this record with previous records, the covers to the originals) is human though grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 10:54 by maumau.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:55

The more you hear the album, the better I will find, it is so good that it is indescribable. I, as an old man of 69 years just want to dance and move in and around my home. My wife should of course not at home hahaha.

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: December 6, 2016 11:14

The album is raw, exciting and far, far better than expected.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 6, 2016 12:22

Spud
It cut out all the agonising and second guessing about what type of music they should be playing, wanted to be playing or were expected to be playing.

They just played the Blues, their common ground "as best as they know" , enjoyed it ...and the results are here to be heard.

thumbs up
This is exactly the point in my opinion as well. It was spontaneous (not quite as spontaneous as the myth, but spontaneous by any standards) and they enjoyed themselves so that we can as well.

Others are perfectly entitled to be highly analytical about the album. That might be appropriate for a painstakingly produced album of originals but in my humble opinion it's missing the point of this album by a mile.

Date: December 6, 2016 12:30

JumpinJimF
Spud
It cut out all the agonising and second guessing about what type of music they should be playing, wanted to be playing or were expected to be playing.

They just played the Blues, their common ground "as best as they know" , enjoyed it ...and the results are here to be heard.

thumbs up
This is exactly the point in my opinion as well. It was spontaneous (not quite as spontaneous as the myth, but spontaneous by any standards) and they enjoyed themselves so that we can as well.

Others are perfectly entitled to be highly analytical about the album. That might be appropriate for a painstakingly produced album of originals but in my humble opinion it's missing the point of this album by a mile.

What's wrong with discussing what we're hearing?

I'm not missing any point here, because I really love this album. That doesn't mean that I won't analyse WHY it's so great smiling smiley

Date: December 6, 2016 12:30

maumau
tomcasagranda

oh my for sure! I was about to report your post for quoting Joe Bonamassa in a Stones related forum grinning smiley

I don't know much Bonamassa but did funnily I listen to a few tracks shortly after hearing B&L for the first time. The comparison didn't go in his favour. He seems like a good guy, clearly loves the blues and can play the socks off more or less anyone. But it all feels empty to me. One of the songs was "The Meaning Of The Blues". Sorry, no. Personal opinion, feel free to differ.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 6, 2016 12:38

Excellent blues songs, excellently played. The album is pure diamond...

Date: December 6, 2016 12:38

DandelionPowderman
JumpinJimF
Spud

thumbs up

What's wrong with discussing what we're hearing?

I'm not missing any point here, because I really love this album. That doesn't mean that I won't analyse WHY it's so great smiling smiley

Nothing wrong with discussing and analysing. I'm a pretty analytical person myself and as a non-musician I highly appreciate the comments of those on this forum who really know about musical stuff, keep it up smiling smiley.

But sometimes something spontaneous can just be enjoyed for what it is.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 13:07

JumpinJimF
Spud

thumbs up

... From the person who, a few days ago, was going to give it a few more plays and then report back to us what worked and what didn't in terms of distortion? THAT seems very analytical to me.

Rod

Date: December 6, 2016 13:17

bitusa2012
JumpinJimF
Spud

thumbs up

... From the person who, a few days ago, was going to give it a few more plays and then report back to us what worked and what didn't in terms of distortion? THAT seems very analytical to me.

Don't think I said that. I have never mentioned distortion or giving it a few more plays. Maybe you're thinking of someone else.

Date: December 6, 2016 13:37

That was me. Yes I still think that especially some tracks have been too much distorted or compressed. I tried audacity with Clip Fix, some tracks have subjective improved but I do not know to what extent that is because of the volume drop and to what because of Clip Fix.

I wish the album had been mastered differently. But the tracks are good and bands performance is great.

Date: December 6, 2016 13:55

jumpingjackflash5
That was me. Yes I still think that especially some tracks have been too much distorted or compressed. I tried audacity with Clip Fix, some tracks have subjective improved but I do not know to what extent that is because of the volume drop and to what because of Clip Fix.

I wish the album had been mastered differently. But the tracks are good and bands performance is great.

Some of the things you are calling distortion aren't really distortion, but merely an effect on Mick's voice (reminiscent of the natural echo and delay the blues men got in their recordings).

Just Your Fool, however, is full of distortion - on the guitars.

Date: December 6, 2016 13:57

Yes it can be effect of Micks voice. But sometimes too strong e.g. tracks 4,5,12 on some places it is annoying to me. I could have been minimized by not clipping the audio. It is not clipped as much as e.g. A Bigger Bang, but the distortion from clipping contributes to the overall (already "effected" sound).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 13:58 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 6, 2016 14:00

jumpingjackflash5

Thanks Jack. Didn't think it was me...

"But it ain't me, babe
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe
It ain't me you're lookin' for"

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 6, 2016 14:10

Song of the day for me: All Your Love.

Great work by the rhythm section in there and Keith's bit in the end has to be the best piece of guitar playing on the record!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2016 14:11

jumpingjackflash5

Just so.

I'm normally a big critic of mastering/production values etc ... and often lament at length about how the recording industry seems to forgotten how to make a record.

That said, some albums are so good that it doesn't seem to matter.
For me, This is evidently one of them winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 14:52 by Spud.

Date: December 6, 2016 14:22

Wild Slivovitz
Song of the day for me: All Your Love.

Great work by the rhythm section in there and Keith's bit in the end has to be the best piece of guitar playing on the record!

I like that part very much! It's a bit more ragged, but it reminds me of his playing on Melody. Great stuff thumbs up

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 6, 2016 14:39

Socrates1
DoomandGloom
First time listening. It's ok. Tries to hard to sound old, guitR playing is not outstanding, expected more from Ronnie.

Says DoomandGloom! >grinning smiley<

doom & gloom indeed....just another old argument disguised as a dig against RW who absolutely kills it on this record.

Date: December 6, 2016 14:57

My song of the day: I Gotta Go. Especially the beginning is stunning ...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:43

JumpinJimF
bitusa2012
JumpinJimF
Spud

thumbs up

Don't think I said that. I have never mentioned distortion or giving it a few more plays. Maybe you're thinking of someone else.

I HUMBLY AND SINCERELY APOLOGISE.

Rod

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:19

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5

Some of the things you are calling distortion aren't really distortion, but merely an effect on Mick's voice (reminiscent of the natural echo and delay the blues men got in their recordings).

Just Your Fool, however, is full of distortion - on the guitars.

You gotta crank up the gain and reverb on cheap old tube amps to get that nasty, distorted Chicago harp sound. Old juke joints didn't have PA systems and the guys couldn't afford 2 rigs, so they ended up singing through the same mic rigged into the amp that is set up for that harp sound. We see Mick singing and playing harp through the same mic on the live footage in the studio, which is where the distortion on the vocals comes from. Personally, I love it!

Date: December 6, 2016 16:26

bitusa2012
JumpinJimF
bitusa2012
JumpinJimF
Spud

thumbs up

I HUMBLY AND SINCERELY APOLOGISE.

No probs bitusa smiling smiley

Hope we can both agree we really like the album anyway

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home