Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:01

Stoneage
So, I'm the only one not particularly overwhelmed by this album?

No.
Some voiced their negative reviews before they even heard it.
Not surprisingly,they stood by it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:10

In the last few days there were some short reports about 'Blue & Lonesome' in austrian / german TV:

ARD Brisant - Video link: [ondemand.mdr.de]

RBB zibb - Video link: [media-stream-pmd.rbb-online.de]

ORF Kultur heute - Video link: [apasfpd.apa.at] (only available in Austria)

ORF ZIB 1 - Video link: [apasfpd.apa.at]

ORF ZIB 24 - Video link: [apasfpd.apa.at]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 19:20 by Irix.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:25

The Sicilian
I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Somewhat agree about Mick's vocals and 'lack of grit' throughout the album. But one of the problems I have with it is an overall lack of sincerity which is most evident on I Can't Quit You Baby where he sounds a bit too forced, contrived, and over-enthusiastic. With that said, given the circumstances of 'one or two takes' and 'no ovedubs', I'd say he stepped up to the plate as best as he could. The ace in the hole and the ultimate highlight for me on this album is Mick's harmonica playing. Would have loved to hear some jamming extended instrumentals with the harp blazing the trails. Which has me wondering why there was no B-side on the Ride 'em On Down single...maybe there's nothing left to be released from these sessions?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:32

No question that the Stones versions blow away the originals in several of the songs ... Little Rain, Everybody Knows About My Good Thing, I Can't Quit You Baby are the main 3 I am thinking about. Not really even close.

Some sound a lot like the originals, such as Commit A Crime, Just Your Fool & Ride Em On Down, but still w/ Mick singing, that adds a huge plus too.

It's a great album! 4/5, easy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 19:33 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:33

It looks like there was a party on the day before the release of this record in Amsterdam (I don't speak dutch, so I'm assuming it was a party related to this release), and it looks like fun. Any IORRians in it?
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:40

The Sicilian
But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Mick's vocals are absolutely phenomenal on this album.

Drew

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:44

LeonidP
No question that the Stones versions blow away the originals in several of the songs ... Little Rain, Everybody Knows About My Good Thing, I Can't Quit You Baby are the main 3 I am thinking about. Not really even close.

Some sound a lot like the originals, such as Commit A Crime, Just Your Fool & Ride Em On Down, but still w/ Mick singing, that adds a huge plus too.

It's a great album! 4/5, easy!

"All of Your Love" also blows away the original ... I can't stop listening to it! smiling bouncing smiley

Speaking of, does anyone know why Magic Sam's "All Your Love" became "All of Your Love"? Was this intentional??

Drew

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:47

we have the whole spectrum here: "I dont like that much because it is kind of just a showcase of mick vocals and harp" to "I dont like it because of Mick's bad vocals"

I like it very much though I can see its limits, but they're not overwhelming.. at all

Just got the vinyl tongue sticking out smiley tonight neighbours will have to be patient again smileys with beer

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 8, 2016 19:58

TheflyingDutchman

---------------------------
stoneage

So, I'm the only one not particularly overwhelmed by this album ?

---------------------------

shortfatfanny

Guess that flying dutchmaker isn't impressed as well...so you're not the only one...

----------------------------

grinning smiley I didn't ask Kleermaker yet but I'm quite sure that just like me, he isn't impressed at all.

In case you'll have a meet and greet with him...he owes me a fine bottle of wine... cool smiley

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: December 8, 2016 20:53

Hairball

I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Somewhat agree about Mick's vocals and 'lack of grit' throughout the album. But one of the problems I have with it is an overall lack of sincerity which is most evident on I Can't Quit You Baby where he sounds a bit too forced, contrived, and over-enthusiastic. With that said, given the circumstances of 'one or two takes' and 'no ovedubs', I'd say he stepped up to the plate as best as he could. The ace in the hole and the ultimate highlight for me on this album is Mick's harmonica playing. Would have loved to hear some jamming extended instrumentals with the harp blazing the trails. Which has me wondering why there was no B-side on the Ride 'em On Down single...maybe there's nothing left to be released from these sessions?

The Stones records
5 songs 11 Dec.
6 songs 14 Dec.
But only 1 song on the last day.???????
Can't believe it.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:00

rusty
The Stones records
5 songs 11 Dec.
6 songs 14 Dec.
Can't believe it.

Wasn't the last track Hoo Doo Blues? (Don't have the booklet with me right now.)

If so, Mick has said Ronnie wasn't too familiar with that song and implied it took a while for the band to work out their arrangement. That may explain why the last day wasn't as productive.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:17

Lorenz
No please, no more cover albums. 1 was cool, more would be lame and cement their reputation as not having any creative force left.

Yes, I suspect Mick will be more motivated now to deliver an album of new material and will want to avoid becoming stuck in a rut of making cover albums.

I always had the impression that a blues album was his way of testing the waters. Some fans want to credit Blue And Lonesome to Keith but let's be honest here. Had it been up to Keith they would've recorded a couple of tracks and then we would've spent the next few years hearing about how he hopes to get the boys back in the studio soon and complete an album's worth. LOL

Mick was clearly focused (and surprisingly committed, judging by his performance) on getting this material recorded and apparently spent a lot of time discussing the best way to market it with the label. I think he knew if the album flopped it would've been easy to dismiss the failure, as no one would've expected a blues album to be a huge seller anyway. However, if the Stones had failed to sell a new studio album after an 11 year delay that would've made the band (and Mick) appear to be completely finished as a popular recording act.

The good news is that the band will now be more likely to put out a new album in 2017, as the label will surely want to capitalize on this success. It might also mean Mick will be more inspired to make the new material as raw and gritty as Blue And Lonesome and (hopefully) less likely to try and explore EDM, co-writing with Ariana Grande, or some other ill-fated nonsense.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 21:18 by howlingmad.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:37

howlingmad

No please, no more cover albums. 1 was cool, more would be lame and cement their reputation as not having any creative force left.

Yes, I suspect Mick will be more motivated now to deliver an album of new material and will want to avoid becoming stuck in a rut of making cover albums.

I always had the impression that a blues album was his way of testing the waters. Some fans want to credit Blue And Lonesome to Keith but let's be honest here. Had it been up to Keith they would've recorded a couple of tracks and then we would've spent the next few years hearing about how he hopes to get the boys back in the studio soon and complete an album's worth. LOL

Mick was clearly focused (and surprisingly committed, judging by his performance) on getting this material recorded and apparently spent a lot of time discussing the best way to market it with the label. I think he knew if the album flopped it would've been easy to dismiss the failure, as no one would've expected a blues album to be a huge seller anyway. However, if the Stones had failed to sell a new studio album after an 11 year delay that would've made the band (and Mick) appear to be completely finished as a popular recording act.

The good news is that the band will now be more likely to put out a new album in 2017, as the label will surely want to capitalize on this success. It might also mean Mick will be more inspired to make the new material as raw and gritty as Blue And Lonesome and (hopefully) less likely to try and explore EDM, co-writing with Ariana Grande, or some other ill-fated nonsense.

I hope so!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:38

I've given the album a real good listen and I must say that for what it is, I really like it. The Stones know how to play the blues. Also, it would have been easy, and perhaps tempting to pick more obvious blues material. I'm glad they went down the road they did. The songs they picked are damn fine.

Jagger is the star on this record. I love both his vocals and his harmonica.

Keith and Ronnie both take the simple uncomplicated approach. This works very well. Both are sounding good.

Charlie, as per usual makes it swing

I like the sound of the album. So hats off to Don Was and The Glimmers. The band sound great when recorded this way. The live no nonsense style..... If they record a new album of original material, I hope they record it the same way as this album.

Overall...... 8/10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 21:43 by strat72.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:49

Stoneage
Certainly not. This band has always been innovative when interpreting the blues... Take "love in Vain" for instance. So yes I expected a blues album more on that course, unrealistic perhaps..B & L should really be titled "Blues for Dummies"... Despite it being "live" it feels very contrived, there is a general misunderstanding here on IORR of how this album was assembled. Worst for me is the production itself and the poor attempt to make it sound like a Chess style recording, The use of blatant distortion and bleed, especially Mick's harp mic, tries to convey the feeling of live but instead it is simply bad recording technique, easy to be enamored with for some including the band but still sloppy and inexcusable. The Beatles rooftop session had much the same problems but the results were better because the engineers and producers were brilliant. Don Was is not... On the other hand I am happy for the band and fans here that they can once again have a raging hit album... Time will tell, if it grows on me personally I will add my 2 cents.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:06

doom&gloom wrote:

>>Despite it being "live" it feels very contrived, there is a general misunderstanding here on IORR of how this album was assembled.<<

this album has blues power. whatever that is, its got a lot of it.

no one who likes it will care much how it was assembled. Its the Stones doing what they do!

although I would like to know how you think it was assembled, as I know you're a knowledgeable recording engineer..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 22:07 by duke richardson.

Date: December 8, 2016 22:18

Cristiano Radtke
It looks like there was a party on the day before the release of this record in Amsterdam (I don't speak dutch, so I'm assuming it was a party related to this release), and it looks like fun. Any IORRians in it?
[www.youtube.com]

I wasn't at the party but have played with the band (undercover) on an occasion long ago. It was fun, at least to me. cool smiley

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:06

TheflyingDutchman

[www.youtube.com]

I wasn't at the party but have played with the band (undercover) on an occasion long ago. It was fun, at least to me. cool smiley

I am !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 23:26 by Lien.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:16

strat72
I've given the album a real good listen and I must say that for what it is, I really like it. The Stones know how to play the blues. Also, it would have been easy, and perhaps tempting to pick more obvious blues material. I'm glad they went down the road they did. The songs they picked are damn fine.

Jagger is the star on this record. I love both his vocals and his harmonica.

Keith and Ronnie both take the simple uncomplicated approach. This works very well. Both are sounding good.

Charlie, as per usual makes it swing

I like the sound of the album. So hats off to Don Was and The Glimmers. The band sound great when recorded this way. The live no nonsense style..... If they record a new album of original material, I hope they record it the same way as this album.

Overall...... 8/10

thumbs up
Comparing the sound of BLUE and LONESOME album to the sound of Watching The River Flow from Tribute to STU and all I can do is hot smileyhot smileyhot smiley to the NEW album.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:24

spinning the black circles now
though it is utterly absurd to have it on a double, the sequence of sides is really good. weakest for me is C, absolutely in love with B and D. On A everything is obscured by the sheer pleasure of B&L

I can hear why the distorted sound annoys some, I dont die for it either. but to dismiss this record for that... it is full of great and laid back performances of the stones and you can hear it! damn smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 23:27 by maumau.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:28

DoomandGloom

Certainly not. This band has always been innovative when interpreting the blues... Take "love in Vain" for instance. So yes I expected a blues album more on that course, unrealistic perhaps..B & L should really be titled "Blues for Dummies"...

I think you're very harsh. Most blues tourists have never heard of most of the tracks that are on this album. Only "...Quit You" and "...My Good Thing" would appear on their radar.
The Stones made no concessions to market trends, they recorded songs they like, thye give us an album that could have been a bootleg collection of outtakes from the SG sessions and I admire them for that! thumbs up

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:29

dcba

Certainly not. This band has always been innovative when interpreting the blues... Take "love in Vain" for instance. So yes I expected a blues album more on that course, unrealistic perhaps..B & L should really be titled "Blues for Dummies"...

I think you're very harsh. Most blues tourists have never heard of most of the tracks that are on this album. Only "...Quit You" and "...My Good Thing" would appear on their radar.
The Stones made no concessions to market trends, they recorded songs they like, thye give us an album that could have been a bootleg collection of outtakes from the SG sessions and I admire them for that! thumbs up

+ 1

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:50

I have a lot of blues records but thanks to b&l I have discovered all this songs:

Just your fool
I gotta go
Ride 'Em On Down
Hate To See You Go
Hoo Doo Blues
Little Rain
Just Like I Treat You

The first time that I listen blue and lonesome (the song) was on "under the influence"

Maybe the sales encourage the band to release a record with new music, and why not, a blue and lonesome vol. 2

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:53

Maindefender
Thanks Berry88, I knew it had to be but Ronnie is deservedly so getting kudos but not much mention of Keith's playing.

Everyone shines on this album including Keith. Lovely little touches all over the place and exquisite timing. He and Charlie really do compliment each other in the "less is more" department.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 8, 2016 23:57

I wonder what will soon officially the charts worldwide for this great album.
Gr Bert Strijk.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:01

Maindefender
Thanks Berry88, I knew it had to be but Ronnie is deservedly so getting kudos but not much mention of Keith's playing.

I'm glad you asked, I was 99% sure it was Keith by that
perfect impeccable timing and in front strength,
it's juicy.
I was wrong at first blush about B & L being Clapton.
Gorgeous work in here.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:17

Some thoughts on the Stones doing more covers records:

Dylan has done four official covers albums aside from Self Portrait which was mainly covers. Classic singers like Louis Armstrong or Ella did loads of them. The issue with the Stones covering other sorts of music is that this one sounds like a combo playing, though admittedly with Jagger the star, and soul covers would be more merely his vocals with accompaniment. Delta Blues isn't really combo oriented either, being more vocals with lead guitar. O.G. country and rockabilly would be more appropriate, but probably wouldn't have the same impact.

So I don't think the issue is that they would look bad in doing more covers records, it's that they aren't really appropriate to what the band does. This one with Chicago blues was, with Charlie's joyous racket, Keith's careful and rhythmically specific guitar touches and Ronnie's go-for-it style. I'm liking it more with each listen, including the production. In the end, the Stones still resemble more than anything a Chicago blues combo from the fifties and sixties. Now if only a Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley album would interest people...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:22

rusty

The Stones records
5 songs 11 Dec.
6 songs 14 Dec.
Can't believe it.

Quoting system is screwed up rusty as what you originally quoted was mistakenly attributed entirely to me.
I can't take credit for The Sicilian's well written post!It should read:

The Sicilian

Hairball

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 00:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:39

DandelionPowderman

Whoever said it...I don't think the guitars sound thin & reedy at all.

They growl very nicely to my ears.

For this listener that statement is absurd.

Can the guitars sound more "meaty" and angry than on Ride 'Em On Down and Hoo Doo Blues? Not thin.
Maybe I'm listening to the album more through a "rock'n'roll" filter, so I'm expecting more distortion than I should. In terms of blues guitar, they sound fine. I just would have liked a little more punch and grit on their tone.

I still need to listen to it MANY more times to properly digest it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 9, 2016 01:36

IMO Blues In The Morning is better than I Gotta Go........BITM is in pretty good company ..... drinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home