Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 9, 2016 01:37

Maindefender
IMO Blues In The Morning is better than I Gotta Go........BITM is in pretty good company ..... drinking smiley

I agree with you on this. and.. would have loved Keef singing Blue n Lonesome.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 02:03

howlingmad
"Best first week EVER". This is amazing. Do you or your contacts have any theories as to why it so popular, georgelicks?

I'd also be curious to hear what georgelicks' contacts at Universal are saying after this debut.

Personally, I think it's a combination of being the kind of novelty concept that tends to be an easy sell around the holidays (think Rod Stewart's Songbook albums), as well as a reminder of what everyone loves about the Stones.

Blue And Lonesome actually makes the band seem cool again and it restores some of the menace and edge that's absent whenever they try to manufacture a modern pop hit. The public no longer looks to this band expecting a dance hit but few can deliver something this pure and organic with the same level of authority.

This LP would generate interest no matter what time of year period.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2016 06:55

The Sicilian

I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Hairball

Somewhat agree about Mick's vocals and 'lack of grit' throughout the album. But one of the problems I have with it is an overall lack of sincerity which is most evident on I Can't Quit You Baby where he sounds a bit too forced, contrived, and over-enthusiastic. With that said, given the circumstances of 'one or two takes' and 'no ovedubs', I'd say he stepped up to the plate as best as he could. The ace in the hole and the ultimate highlight for me on this album is Mick's harmonica playing. Would have loved to hear some jamming extended instrumentals with the harp blazing the trails. Which has me wondering why there was no B-side on the Ride 'em On Down single...maybe there's nothing left to be released from these sessions?

I agree on "I Can't Quit You Baby." I think he is trying too hard to fit into the music. Everyone is cohesive and tight, except for those vocals. It feels like he is singing over the top of the music. Just listen to those awkward wails on "All Of Your Love" and you can start to see my point. Again the way he sings the lyric "baby" throughout the album is just plain bad in itself. But his harp work on this song is fantastic. I would have loved to hear this song without any singing. Just an instrumental version with harp. And what is with that slight echo the engineers put in? "I Gotta Go" is full of it. I still really like the album but I would have never sent it out with vocals sounding disruptive like that.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2016 07:28

Maindefender
IMO Blues In The Morning is better than I Gotta Go........BITM is in pretty good company ..... drinking smiley

BITM's only letdown is the fact that Keith's singin' on it IMO .....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2016 07:34

keefriff99
Maybe I'm listening to the album more through a "rock'n'roll" filter, so I'm expecting more distortion than I should. In terms of blues guitar, they sound fine. I just would have liked a little more punch and grit on their tone.

Guitar sound is just perfect on all tracks IMO. This ain't no Honkin' On Bobo trash!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 09:05

keefriff99

Maybe I'm listening to the album more through a "rock'n'roll" filter, so I'm expecting more distortion than I should. In terms of blues guitar, they sound fine. I just would have liked a little more punch and grit on their tone.

I still need to listen to it MANY more times to properly digest it.

Your making the classic mistake that many a white guitar player makes when playing the blues. They can't play em....... The Stones can....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 09:07 by strat72.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 09:16

The Sicilian

I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Somewhat agree about Mick's vocals and 'lack of grit' throughout the album. But one of the problems I have with it is an overall lack of sincerity which is most evident on I Can't Quit You Baby where he sounds a bit too forced, contrived, and over-enthusiastic. With that said, given the circumstances of 'one or two takes' and 'no ovedubs', I'd say he stepped up to the plate as best as he could. The ace in the hole and the ultimate highlight for me on this album is Mick's harmonica playing. Would have loved to hear some jamming extended instrumentals with the harp blazing the trails. Which has me wondering why there was no B-side on the Ride 'em On Down single...maybe there's nothing left to be released from these sessions?

I agree on "I Can't Quit You Baby." I think he is trying too hard to fit into the music. Everyone is cohesive and tight, except for those vocals. It feels like he is singing over the top of the music. Just listen to those awkward wails on "All Of Your Love" and you can start to see my point. Again the way he sings the lyric "baby" throughout the album is just plain bad in itself. But his harp work on this song is fantastic. I would have loved to hear this song without any singing. Just an instrumental version with harp. And what is with that slight echo the engineers put in? "I Gotta Go" is full of it. I still really like the album but I would have never sent it out with vocals sounding disruptive like that.

Balls...... Mick has not sounded this good for a long time. You both have shit taste. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 09:17 by strat72.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 9, 2016 09:43

retired_dog

BITM's only letdown is the fact that Keith's singin' on it IMO .....

An acquired taste for some I guess.

Date: December 9, 2016 10:13

Try deamplify by 3-4 db and apply ClipFix 95 or 98 per cent. Save in 24 bit and play back. Even the vocals then improve.

A pity they put this out clipped, since the distortion they used does not work well when also clipped. That might be why vinyl version is perceived as better.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 10:46

The Sicilian

thumbs up spot on the both of youse.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 11:10

DandelionPowderman

So, I'm the only one not particularly overwhelmed by this album?

Guess that flying dutchmaker isn't impressed as well...so you're not the only one...

It's the same with our red hot finnish friend, I believe smiling smiley

Swedish! grinning smiley

Blue and Lonesome - My Review
Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:27

The new release by the Rolling Stones is so fantastic. I had to give it a song by song review on my blog.

[rustedtourdemichigan.blogspot.com]

http://rustedtourdemichigan.blogspot.com/

Re: Blue and Lonesome - My Review
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 8, 2016 22:23

fzv98d
The new release by the Rolling Stones is so fantastic. I had to give it a song by song review on my blog.

i know you feel very important and that you really have alot to say thus the blog-but at iorr you're just a douche with 27 posts and your opinion isn't worth any more than anyone elses. so if you have an opinion on the album put it in the blue and lonesome thread-k?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 9, 2016 00:44

It's a nice review - and as for putting it in the B&L thread, bv will do that soon enough.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 9, 2016 01:01

Thank you!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 9, 2016 01:18

Green Lady
It's a nice review - and as for putting it in the B&L thread, bv will do that soon enough.

Nice review indeed.

Thanks for posting, fzv98d. thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 9, 2016 03:03

I've always felt best album reviews include a calamari reference. Well done fzv98d...drinking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 03:16

lem motlow

i know you feel very important and that you really have alot to say thus the blog-but at iorr you're just a douche with 27 posts and your opinion isn't worth any more than anyone elses. so if you have an opinion on the album put it in the blue and lonesome thread-k?

Uh, come on, man. The guy wrote up something about the LP and thought it would be good to post here. It's not like HMS throwing a 'I wrote a blog about how good DIRTY WORK is' blogload of crap. There are probably posters here with lest posts. This isn't 1996.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 9, 2016 04:07

Nice review and work.. fzv98d!
Thanks for posting.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 9, 2016 07:58

Thanks for posting. It must be the best review I've read so far. "Critics" don't bother anymore to put things into perspective, which you did really well. Really nice work.

BTW I Gotta Go is one of my favorite tracks so far. Just love the guitars play on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 08:03 by kowalski.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 9, 2016 08:05

fzv98d

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 12:45

lem motlow

HE'S a douche? Check out a mirror buddy.

OP, nice review. Thanks for taking time and putting in effort with some nice contextual material.

Rod

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2016 12:57

KRiffhard

thumbs up

I would say that Clapton plays the first Quit You Baby solo, and Ronnie the second.

First is very classy, but the second blows me away!

C

Date: December 9, 2016 13:04

liddas

thumbs up

I would say that Clapton plays the first Quit You Baby solo, and Ronnie the second.

C

That's correct.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:09

liddas

thumbs up

C

Yes, no doubt about Clapton doing the first solo and Ronnie the second. Ronnies solo is really up there with his best recorded work ever.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:20

Olly
I'm not so sure about the view that the Stones should continue releasing covers albums. The album is doing well no doubt, but I'm not sure further covers albums would meet with similar success, blues or otherwise.

I suspect the (commercial) success of the new album has rather caught Mick and the boys at Universal by surprise. Lets hope it gives them the motivation and confidence to finish an album of new material and then tour to promote.

Looking further ahead, what about a project that gets everyone in a location: Chicago or New Orleans or Alabama or Memphis come to mind.
A series of club gigs recorded, maybe using some 'old' blues guys..and some younger ones for guest spots.
Album+TV documentary+ longer DVD film.
It wouldn't be too physically arduous for the musicians.
Would be a nice follow up to BL , also to "Checkerboard Lounge' which whilst not technically a Stones work, is still one of my all time favourites.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:33

Re Ronnie on B&L, can we finally all agree that the man deserves a standing ovation!!!

C

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:40

liddas
Re Ronnie on B&L, can we finally all agree that the man deserves a standing ovation!!!

C

Yes he does.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:42

Redhotcarpet

thumbs up spot on the both of youse.

I am glad that somebody else feels that the vocals is the weak point of the otherwise very strong record. I don't think Mick is a blues singer; his singing does not have the balls of the great masters.

Another observation is that Keith functions almost as a part of the rhythm section. This, I think, gives the record the very raw and compact sound.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 13:44

Mick's singing is amazing on B @ L.
11/10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 13:45 by 1962.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home