Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 4, 2016 18:55

Plynth from the Faces First Step album

Date: October 4, 2016 18:56

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
GLS, come on ,man, LOL. Leads - Solos? When does a lead become a solo?I do think I know what you mean, but to differentiate like that just becomes too subjective. One could take Ron's solo-ing on "Negrita" very much as a "solo". I think you are using placement within the song to make your qualifications.

HA HA! I guess what I call a lead is not a solo! How about "not a flat out solo"? A solo is an instrumental part of the song with the guitar soloing? A lead is soloing without it being a solo!

Haha smileys with beer

Date: October 4, 2016 19:17

For a long time I did consider "Hold Back" the absolute worst Stones track ever.

Dirty Work is such an odd album. If I ponder it, I must lay most the blame with Jagger. It obviously started out as a Keith/Ron album. Seems they were on fire; jamming heavily; and had Covay and Womack checking in. There's lots of guitars on the album. There's just no melodies; or lyrics; no structure. The point that the album was left at, the point in the creative process - is right where now a vocalist steps in and starts molding these riff-fests into songs. That is another heavy step; that requires a lot of work, dedication. This is probably the one step where it makes a huge difference if the parties are getting along, or not.
The twins were not getting along, Jagger had used much of his ideas and energy on solo venture, and he was obviously not into it. We are left with "Fight", "Hold Back", "Back to Zero" and "Dirty Work". The album could have fared better, had Keith drove it all the way home.
"one Hit" and "Winning Ugly" are crafted songs; like them or not.
But Jagger was right - he says the band was in no shape to tour. But the album alone, had no tour in it. No hooks. How would you play a stadium show with "Fight" and "Hold Back" ?
The bad rep that DW has, stems from all the bulk of album tracks, which are terrible. And it's Jagger who did not do his part on them.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 4, 2016 22:42

Hold Back is an outstanding song. It´s pure aggression and raw energy. Lots of great guitar sounds. Some people like it, some do not. I LOVE it.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 5, 2016 10:58

HMS
Hold Back is an outstanding song. It´s pure aggression and raw energy. Lots of great guitar sounds. Some people like it, some do not. I LOVE it.

I, for one agree wholeheartedly on this. It's become so expected of people on this forum to jump on the DW hating bandwagon, but this song floored me when I first heard it. Like you said, lots of aggression and energy, nasty guitar work. Good stuff. Would've been well worth trying live. And while Jagger may have had some involvement with the songs, it is so much Keith's album. That's especially evident in light of how Talk Is Cheap sounds. The only songs that sound very Jaggeresque are Winning Ugly and Back To Zero, the album's two most non-Stones sounding tracks.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 11:03 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: October 5, 2016 16:35

I was just posting on "Keith's solo" thread re. "Hold on to your Hat"; where Keith fires off those volleys. And I was kind of singing them in my head, when I realized I was actually thinking of Ronnie's bursts in "Look what the Cat dragged in".
(But I still love Keith in 'Hat')

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 5, 2016 17:43

Ron Wood cannot be compared to Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder. They are guitar slingers, the best. You hire them and you get results.

Ron Woods doing a solo is more like Paul McCartney doing a solo, at best he will come up with something unique for the song, nothing fancy but if your lucky it fits the song. Like on Shattered at Hampton. Perfect little solo that perfectly fits the song. It's a pop-rock song solo. You wouldnt hire the guy to save a song or turn a liveshow into something much better, even otherworldly - like with Taylor - but when in the band he might have a solo or a riff a lick or some little fill that fits the song.

Date: October 5, 2016 17:46

In some way Look What The Cat can be considered the best track on ABB. Rocks like hell and has some interesting changings going, loved it from the start.

The guitars on Hold On To Your Hat are glorious. Some say it´s a bad song, but listen to the guitars, simply great. I can´t believe that Flip The Switch is actually faster than HOTYH... Hold is incredibly fast. Wish they´d done more things like that on Steel Wheels.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2016 17:58

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS

I, for one agree wholeheartedly on this. It's become so expected of people on this forum to jump on the DW hating bandwagon, but this song floored me when I first heard it. Like you said, lots of aggression and energy, nasty guitar work. Good stuff. Would've been well worth trying live. And while Jagger may have had some involvement with the songs, it is so much Keith's album. That's especially evident in light of how Talk Is Cheap sounds. The only songs that sound very Jaggeresque are Winning Ugly and Back To Zero, the album's two most non-Stones sounding tracks.

Hold Back is pedestrian and reeks of a Jagger solo song with a Jeff Beck arrangement. Stereotypes are true and the bandwagon exists for a reason - it's true. So there are guitars on DIRTY WORK - no one outside of some fans that didn't know better knows anything from that plague of an album with the possible exception of Harlem Shuffle.

The best playing by the best musicians can't save shit songs and a shit album and that is the case with DW.

Date: October 5, 2016 18:22

If you consider "Dirty Work" & "Had It With You" "shit-songs" than you might as well consider half of Some Girls "shit" and I haven´t even mentioned DW´s best songs...

Somebody somewhere somewhen invented the "I hate DW"-bandwagon and a lot of people jumped on it howling with the wolves for no other reason than the howling.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:27

HMS
Somebody somewhere somewhen invented the "I hate DW"-bandwagon and a lot of people jumped on it howling with the wolves for no other reason than the howling.

You do that a lot for other stuff so it's okay.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:30

TravelinMan
HMS

You do that a lot for other stuff so it's okay.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2016 18:36

HMS
If you consider "Dirty Work" & "Had It With You" "shit-songs" than you might as well consider half of Some Girls "shit" and I haven´t even mentioned DW´s best songs...

I don't consider those songs shit songs but rather the shine on the album that is shit.

You're such a cry baby. Howling for howling? What a yuge political way to view your own truth ie not the truth. It's because it BLOWS.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 6, 2016 00:41

"I hate DW"
The important thing is that music generates emotions and hate is a large and powerful emotion, so the Stones even with DW have done their dirty work.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 6, 2016 00:53

RockingLonestar
Plynth from the Faces First Step album

The Live version on the Faces boxset is even better!

Also his solo on Midnight Rambler at Arrowhead on the Zipcode tour was awesome.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:58

His solo on Five Long Years with Buddy Guy and Jonny Lang at Crossroads Festival in 2010 is great!

Date: October 6, 2016 22:18

Redhotcarpet
Ron Wood cannot be compared to Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder. They are guitar slingers, the best. You hire them and you get results.

Ron Woods doing a solo is more like Paul McCartney doing a solo, at best he will come up with something unique for the song, nothing fancy but if your lucky it fits the song. Like on Shattered at Hampton. Perfect little solo that perfectly fits the song. It's a pop-rock song solo. You wouldnt hire the guy to save a song or turn a liveshow into something much better, even otherworldly - like with Taylor - but when in the band he might have a solo or a riff a lick or some little fill that fits the song.

My main issue with Ronnie's solos, is that he doesn't finish phrases; doesn't make statements, for better or for worse. Now, with the Faces he wasn't guilty of this so much. I suspect this because he was the one guitarist, and also a main writer. So he needed to 'say something'. In the Stones his role is to play in between Jagger, and in between Keith. So he is a colorist. He adds to someone else's phrase. He only re-acts. When it does come time for him to take center stage, he never looks comfortable anymore. He rattles off a phrase, and it will be good, and you think 'oh there he goes', but then it fizzles out, and he might jump, or wave, and then starts into a new phrase; often disjointed and unconnected.
To this day Keith completes his sentences. Even in his worst solos he's saying something. And Taylor - forget it; I've never seen a guitarist who could inpeovise so effortlessly, and so well rounded-ly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 12:39 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 7, 2016 12:06

Spot on.

Date: October 7, 2016 12:17

What's not to like? A typical Ronnie solo.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:30

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up
plus 'Sway' from Sticky Fingers Live 2015.

Indeed! I get so tired of people saying Sway is never any good unless Mick Taylor's on it. On SFL, Wood does an awesome job at making the solos his own!

True, Ronnie really improved his playing between 2013-2015, maybe he started practicing again after listening back to his slightly embarrassing solo on Champagne And Reefer with Clapton in 2012?
SFT has some of his best guitar work ever with the Stones if would say.

Ronnie improved while making I Feel Like Playing.

True! What an album!

Date: October 7, 2016 12:30

pepganzo
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

Indeed! I get so tired of people saying Sway is never any good unless Mick Taylor's on it. On SFL, Wood does an awesome job at making the solos his own!

True, Ronnie really improved his playing between 2013-2015, maybe he started practicing again after listening back to his slightly embarrassing solo on Champagne And Reefer with Clapton in 2012?

True! What an album!

Indeed. I still listen to it a lot. One of his best.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:36

I know that it's not a 'solo', but I love also what he did during the Last Waltz Jam, in 1976.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 7, 2016 12:37

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

True! What an album!

Indeed. I still listen to it a lot. One of his best.

Absolutely! In some other thread I posted that nowadays I listen to early Stones the most; like '63-64 years. But overall, in Stones camp, I probably listen to all of Ronnie's solo albums the most. More than Stones albums nowadays. He has never made a bad album.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:17

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

That is a good lead that would have been even better solo with Taylor live like in 1973. I like it but it doesnt really change the song into something bigger.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:37

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

That is a good lead that would have been even better solo with Taylor live like in 1973. I like it but it doesnt really change the song into something bigger.

Does it have to? I don't see the need for comparing. They both did good things with this song - differently.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:46

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Does it have to? I don't see the need for comparing. They both did good things with this song - differently.

Some people will never get over Mick Taylor. He was great but he quit about four decades ago. Woody does a good job ever since.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:48

I know, he quit in 1974.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:49

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Yes but i compare because Taylor was so good and Wood replaced him.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:53

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Does that mean that Brian Jones was a lousy guitarist, and should be bashed?

Point is, ALL of the three second guitarists in the Stones have done a great job - in different ways.

Date: October 7, 2016 13:57

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Does that mean that Brian Jones was a lousy guitarist, and should be bashed?

Point is, ALL of the three second guitarists in the Stones have done a great job - in different ways.

Amen. I wish all Stones fans could see that each guitarist that has played along with Keith brought something unique and special to the Stones. Brian, the mercurial multi-instrumentalist; Taylor the soloist, Wood the mesher...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home