Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:14

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
What's not to like? A typical Ronnie solo.

[www.youtube.com]

That is a good lead that would have been even better solo with Taylor live like in 1973. I like it but it doesnt really change the song into something bigger.

Does it have to? I don't see the need for comparing. They both did good things with this song - differently.

Yes but i compare because Taylor was so good and Wood replaced him.

Does that mean that Brian Jones was a lousy guitarist, and should be bashed?

Point is, ALL of the three second guitarists in the Stones have done a great job - in different ways.

Brian Jones was great but Taylor was the best guitar player in this band.

Date: October 7, 2016 14:50

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

That is a good lead that would have been even better solo with Taylor live like in 1973. I like it but it doesnt really change the song into something bigger.

Does it have to? I don't see the need for comparing. They both did good things with this song - differently.

Point is, ALL of the three second guitarists in the Stones have done a great job - in different ways.

I'd say Keith Richards was the best guitar player in the band, although very few have inspired me more when it comes to solos than Mick Taylor.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:09

Mick Taylor played some remarkable solos in 1973, his solo on Angie from the first Brussels show 1973 is among the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. But he was never a team-player. His playing always seemed so self-absorbed and he never really played ''with'' the band like Ronnie does.

For instance Taylor's playing on Dead Flowers from Marquee 1971 is hideous and annoying, it reminds me of a bored 16 year old noodling through his new licks over and over again. Ronnie's playing was never annoying.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:09

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

I'd say Keith Richards was the best guitar player in the band, although very few have inspired me more when it comes to solos than Mick Taylor.

Agreed. Taylor was technically the best soloist, but when it comes to putting out pure, raw rock and blues feeling and emotion, nobody does it like Keith.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 7, 2016 15:11

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Agreed. Taylor was technically the best soloist, but when it comes to putting out pure, raw rock and blues feeling and emotion, nobody does it like Keith.

Not to mention a rather important part of being a great guitar player: Using the guitar as a vehicle to write great songs.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 7, 2016 16:27

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Not to mention a rather important part of being a great guitar player: Using the guitar as a vehicle to write great songs.
What does it has to do with it M.Taylor & B.Jones with "Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos' ? Why dirty the 3d?

Date: October 7, 2016 17:21

I think it has to do with his performances as a guitar player. There are many examples of Ronnie failing to perform a guitar solo but none of Taylor. I'm not gonna dirty him but I find it hard not to compare. If he didnt have to try to play solos on songs like Worried about you, YCAGWYW etc nobody would compare him to Taylor. His solo on Shattered is perfect, it fits the song. His playing on Hey Negrita is great. His fills on She's so cold are splendid, I love them. thumbs up

Date: October 7, 2016 17:47

Love his WAY-solos! Here's a dirty one from Zürich 2014.

Sometimes I wonder which standards you're judging the Stones by. Baffling smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 7, 2016 18:25

Tough love Dandie tough love grinning smiley

Actually I was surprised by some clips of Ronnie doing Worried bout you. He obviously has some tricks up his sleeve but it's like someone else wrote before me, he lacks the ability of the typical solo guitarist to connect those licks and turn them into something special, a solo that stands on its own. There are bits and pieces that are above the standard bluesscale and bendings but I dont hear a complete fluid solo.
On the edited version of YCAGWYW from Lets spend the night he does a good job, I like that short simple yet fluent thing but that's because it's edited - the producer felt that was the right thing to do. I remember seeing that and thinking it would have been great to hear a whole solo but now Im thankful they didnt want that.

Date: October 7, 2016 18:27

A good example: Ronnie on All down the line 1981. It's not what i d call a fluid great solo but some raw nice slide lead playing. It fits the 1981 version well. thumbs up
video: [www.youtube.com]

I wont post a Taylor version. smoking smileygrinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 18:30 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 7, 2016 18:48

I never understood the need for long fluid solos in Stones songs. It's not like they are all over their albums.

Like Stu said to Chuck: "Don't play too much, but highlight those short golden tiaras" (I wish he had listened...).

Short, biting lead bits have characterised the Stones's sound from the beginning. The other hard rock bands took care of those long, flashy solos. The more the Stones started doing that on stage, the more they begun to sound like those other bands.

IMHO, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 18:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:49

TheBlockbuster
Mick Taylor played some remarkable solos in 1973, his solo on Angie from the first Brussels show 1973 is among the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. But he was never a team-player. His playing always seemed so self-absorbed and he never really played ''with'' the band like Ronnie does.

For instance Taylor's playing on Dead Flowers from Marquee 1971 is hideous and annoying, it reminds me of a bored 16 year old noodling through his new licks over and over again. Ronnie's playing was never annoying.

Obviously your opinion, here are mine: I love Taylor's beautiful leads on Dead Flowers. Ron Wood is annoying when he's messing up and choking out notes. I've never been a fan of his tone either. Or when he plays aggressive blues guitar on Angie, it sounds out of place. Also whatever he is doing on the early versions of Jumping Jack Flash isn't working for me either, and I love that song. Both Richards and Wood are extremely annoying on 70's Sympathy too, unbearable.

Date: October 7, 2016 18:58

DandelionPowderman
I never understood the need for long fluid solos in Stones songs. It's not like they are all over their albums.

Like Stu said to Chuck: "Don't play too much, but highlight those short golden tiaras" (I wish he had listened...).

Short, biting lead bits have characterised the Stones's sound from the beginning. The other hard rock bands took care of those long, flashy solos. The more the Stones started doing that on stage, the more they begun to sound like those other bands.

IMHO, of course.

Yep, the Stones surely didn't start out as the type of band to feature lead guitar showmanship. They morphed into that with Mick Taylor simply because he had that ability. Ronnie Wood fits more into the original idea of the band but he's at a disadvantage because whenever the Stones do songs from the Taylor years, he get's compared to Mick Taylor. Personally I think he's done a fine job putting his own touch on those songs.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:22

MT´s playing is fluid and gentle, Ronnie attacks and stings, that´s why he´s a perfect fit for the Stones.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 7, 2016 19:51

Taylor's playing is lyrical and Wood's playing is not.

Date: October 7, 2016 19:57

boogaloojef

Indeed, but are Beggars banquet, Exile or SG "lyrical"?

Date: October 7, 2016 20:06

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Those albums are great examples of the Stones being all about songs rather than musical virtuosity.

Date: October 7, 2016 20:18

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Those albums are great examples of the Stones being all about songs rather than musical virtuosity.

Don't get me wrong, I love a brilliant solo when it suits the song (ADTL, for instance).

What I don't get is people bashing Ronnie's style, while claiming to adore the guitars in the early 60s. There's a discrepancy there, as the style with short biting leads was what was going on back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 20:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:19

DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

If a solo is going to be played at all, I enjoy it more if it is lyrical.

Date: October 7, 2016 20:20

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Don't get me wrong, I love a brilliant solo when it suits the song (ADTL, for instance).

What I don't get is people bashing Ronnie's playing, while claiming to adore the guitars in the early 60s. There's a discrepancy there, as the style with short biting leads was what was going on back then.

Exactly! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 7, 2016 20:20

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

If a solo is going to be played at all, I enjoy it more if it is lyrical.

No matter what kind of music is being played?

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:42

TravelinMan
TheBlockbuster

Obviously your opinion, here are mine: I love Taylor's beautiful leads on Dead Flowers. Ron Wood is annoying when he's messing up and choking out notes. I've never been a fan of his tone either. Or when he plays aggressive blues guitar on Angie, it sounds out of place. Also whatever he is doing on the early versions of Jumping Jack Flash isn't working for me either, and I love that song. Both Richards and Wood are extremely annoying on 70's Sympathy too, unbearable.

The guitar work was sometimes a bit overwhelming on SFTD in 1975, but that's just the first year for Ronnie as a stone. You will hardly find any other annoying rhythm playing from him in later years.

His tone is very unique and yes the mistakes can be slightly annoying but at the same time they're kind of musical and just small cracks in a bigger picture. Taylor's bored overplaying dragging the rest of the band down for large portions of songs is, on the other hand not musical at all.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:21

Lots of very old Ronnie solos...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:06

I never get tired of listening to JJF from Love You Live. No one has ever flowed guitar solos and licks overtop of Keith's driving rhythm better than this version.

If there is a better 2nd guitar version of JJF please post it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:17

Does missing a note here and there but making the right facial expressions count as a solo?

Date: October 7, 2016 22:41

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

What I don't get is people bashing Ronnie's style, while claiming to adore the guitars in the early 60s. There's a discrepancy there, as the style with short biting leads was what was going on back then.

I bash Ronnie but I was doing the e x a c t same comparison to the early 60s. Incredible.

Date: October 7, 2016 22:47

Stoneage
Does missing a note here and there but making the right facial expressions count as a solo?

Only if you look like you´re in great pain.

Date: October 7, 2016 22:51

Markdog
I never get tired of listening to JJF from Love You Live. No one has ever flowed guitar solos and licks overtop of Keith's driving rhythm better than this version.

If there is a better 2nd guitar version of JJF please post it.

Every single version with Mick taylor on it. I get what you mean. It's a second guitar filling in blanks. NOt bad on JJF and same goes for Brown Sugar but the thing is I get tired of those version for that very reason. That second guitar doesnt lift the song, it's just there buzzing around. The Brown Sugar solo on LYL is good but again, Taylor, whatever he did, gave these songs a new aura if you like. Another example is Angie. With Taylor the song comes alive and is stunningly beautiful. That has never ever been repeated since he left.

Date: October 7, 2016 23:05

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

I bash Ronnie but I was doing the e x a c t same comparison to the early 60s. Incredible.

I missed those comparisons. Show us.

Date: October 8, 2016 02:11

"All Down The Line" IMO requires the trickiest solo-ing of them all. What Taylor did with that one was awesome. And there are times, many times Ronnie does it just as well.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1944
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home