Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 13, 2016 21:25

TravelinMan

You're talking about precision. Mick Taylor is was an extremely precise player born out of the B.B. King tradition of blues guitar playing. Doesn't mean he hasn't dabbled in dirty, crunchy tones though.

Dirty is the opposite of clean and I suppose I mainly think of it in terms of a guitar player's tone. A dirty/distorted tone vs. a clean tone. Usually, when one says a guitarist's actual playing is clean, the opposite is sloppy, not dirty.

Neil Young is a dirty, sloppy player whom I thoroughly enjoy. He's extremely creative as well.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 13, 2016 21:27

GasLightStreet
HMS
Indeed. MT gave even rocking Stones-songs a mellow touch. Very unfitting most of the times. With MT the Stones were in danger to end up sounding like any (american) rock-band. Playing melodic, not too hard rocking songs and having a guitar-hero soloing the usual stuff. They´ve almost lost their identity while Taylor was in the band. Of course Taylor isn´t to blame for everything that went wrong, but he isn´t totally innocent either. His playing and style watered down the Stones.

Where you hear "watered down" Taylor era Stones, real Stones fans hear searing rock'n'roll. There's one of many reasons why GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! is such a stellar album - Taylor's playing.

Where real Stones fans hear shit you hear excellence. Coincidence?

Nope. Just a fact.

Huge parts of GHS and IORR are watered down Stones. No coincidence that those albums are the ones on which Taylor is most prominently featured and most audible. Regarding live albums - especially Brussels is sometimes watered down by Taylor taking away the roughness of the originals by his virtuoso playing. And with YaYa´s I´ve always felt a bit bored. It lacks the roughness of Love You Live and it also lacks the in some way charming hectic of Still Life. YaYa´s for the most part is like afternoon tea with the Queen compared to the aforementioned live-albums.

Date: October 13, 2016 21:31

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
That's distorted, not dirty.

Ever heard of a dirt pedal?

Look, players like Don Fender, Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder won't sound dirty because of a pedal. They play and produce their tones a different way. The attack is different - as are the notes and motifs they are creating.

The dirt happens when one lets go of the precision and focus solely on the energy and drive (Chuck Berry, Keith, Ronnie, Lou Reed, John Lee Hooker and others).

On the contrary, distorting a sound can make it even more pretty (Hotel California, Through The Lonely Nights, Winter, Sway).

You're talking about precision. Mick Taylor is an extremely precise player born out of the B.B. King tradition of blues guitar playing. Doesn't mean he hasn't dabbled in dirty, crunchy tones though.

Dirty is the opposite of clean and I suppose I mainly think of it in terms of a guitar player's tone. A dirty/distorted tone vs. a clean tone. Usually, when one says a guitarist's actual playing is clean, the opposite is sloppy, not dirty.

Neil Young is a dirty, sloppy player whom I thoroughly enjoy. He's extremely creative as well.

It comes down to what you do with the distortion. And you can be as dirty as it gets, even with clean sound (Keith).

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 22:02

HMS
Rip This
...taylor's style as beautiful as it was and can sometimes be is essentially very dated... He sounds as old as he is...probably older...in 50 and counting he was a duck out of water...even for the Stones.

Fully agree. Midnight Rambler always has a lot more punch with MT not being around. Now that he´s gone MR finally sounds aggressive and fresh again.
It sure wasn't aggressive or fresh last weekend. Struggling and anemic was what I heard.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 14, 2016 03:50

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
Indeed. MT gave even rocking Stones-songs a mellow touch. Very unfitting most of the times. With MT the Stones were in danger to end up sounding like any (american) rock-band. Playing melodic, not too hard rocking songs and having a guitar-hero soloing the usual stuff. They´ve almost lost their identity while Taylor was in the band. Of course Taylor isn´t to blame for everything that went wrong, but he isn´t totally innocent either. His playing and style watered down the Stones.

Where you hear "watered down" Taylor era Stones, real Stones fans hear searing rock'n'roll. There's one of many reasons why GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! is such a stellar album - Taylor's playing.

Nope. Just a fact.

Huge parts of GHS and IORR are watered down Stones. No coincidence that those albums are the ones on which Taylor is most prominently featured and most audible. Regarding live albums - especially Brussels is sometimes watered down by Taylor taking away the roughness of the originals by his virtuoso playing. And with YaYa´s I´ve always felt a bit bored. It lacks the roughness of Love You Live and it also lacks the in some way charming hectic of Still Life. YaYa´s for the most part is like afternoon tea with the Queen compared to the aforementioned live-albums.

And the ongoing HMS mission of turning common Stones sense upside down continues, now with stabbing Brussels... What's next?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 14, 2016 03:54

My favorites were pre- Stones. his slide playing on the Faces 'Around the Plynth" and 'That's All You Need " were the best !

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 14, 2016 05:04

alimente
HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Nope. Just a fact.

And the ongoing HMS mission of turning common Stones sense upside down continues, now with stabbing Brussels... What's next?

I believe HMS is a covert Beatles fan who still believes Stones vs Beatles is a thing.

Date: October 14, 2016 08:58

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS

Nope. Just a fact.

I get what you are saying re. those other live albums; but I think you might be seeing the wrong reasons. Lots of what you talk about is just tempos; and also amps; and song choice.
In 69 they were using big Ampegs; not the confrontational Mesas. There were practically no f/x boxes used, so there was loud and not so loud. Taylor was on the SG, not on LP. But mainly IMO they were in this more laid back Bluesy mode. It is well documented that LYl and even more SL are plaid at frantic speed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 17:44

HMS
Huge parts of GHS and IORR are watered down Stones. No coincidence that those albums are the ones on which Taylor is most prominently featured and most audible.

All of DIRTY WORK is an unflushed toilet bowl. Ronnie Wood is prominently on that album. So is Keith Richards. Aside from those facts, it's no coincidence - it is a bowl of shit.

STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG - all have watered down Stones on them, with or without Ronnie, Keith and Mick. That is no coincidence.

HMS
Regarding live albums - especially Brussels is sometimes watered down by Taylor taking away the roughness of the originals by his virtuoso playing. And with YaYa´s I´ve always felt a bit bored. It lacks the roughness of Love You Live and it also lacks the in some way charming hectic of Still Life. YaYa´s for the most part is like afternoon tea with the Queen compared to the aforementioned live-albums.

You can't regard live albums because your auditory perception has a percentage of zero.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:00

GasLightStreet
HMS
Huge parts of GHS and IORR are watered down Stones. No coincidence that those albums are the ones on which Taylor is most prominently featured and most audible.

All of DIRTY WORK is an unflushed toilet bowl. Ronnie Wood is prominently on that album. So is Keith Richards. Aside from those facts, it's no coincidence - it is a bowl of shit.

STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG - all have watered down Stones on them, with or without Ronnie, Keith and Mick. That is no coincidence.

HMS
Regarding live albums - especially Brussels is sometimes watered down by Taylor taking away the roughness of the originals by his virtuoso playing. And with YaYa´s I´ve always felt a bit bored. It lacks the roughness of Love You Live and it also lacks the in some way charming hectic of Still Life. YaYa´s for the most part is like afternoon tea with the Queen compared to the aforementioned live-albums.

You can't regard live albums because your auditory perception has a percentage of zero.

I agree. Dirty Work is an ugly floater. Everything that followed is waters down. I get the warnings of watering down by being "too fluent" or simply too great as in Taylors case but not to worry. Pick any Rambler from those years and Ill show you rough, fluent, dirty - you name it. Both players, and the bass, the drums, the singer, the harmonica. If Taylor plays jazzy, bluesy he doesnt do it without roughness or darkness. This is no schoolboy blues guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex41YOpA8Uo 1.45 - : enter the devil. Satan himself is prominent from 1.45 to 2.35. Taylor brought him there. smoking smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:01

maybe we should cut him some slack because maybe he has hearing loss ?

Date: October 14, 2016 18:10

I always get a laugh when you people call Taylor a ''virtuoso'', he never was. Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuel, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson etc those guys are virtuosos. Taylor is blues player who started out by copying Clapton on his first Mayall record and then moved on the his own style with the Stones. But he was never a fast player with amazing chops. He was a blues player with fantastic tone, vibrato and great flow in his playing, but not by any means a virtuoso.

Date: October 14, 2016 18:43

So what awards have Mr.Big and Eric Johnson and the others that you mentioned won that identified and proclaimed them to be virtuosos ?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:49

TheGreek

But it doesn't have anything to do with the spewing like the BP oil well: nothing good about it in any possible way.

Date: October 14, 2016 19:58

GasLightStreet
TheGreek

But it doesn't have anything to do with the spewing like the BP oil well: nothing good about it in any possible way.
Totally agree 100%, also goes without saying

Date: October 14, 2016 20:22

Date: October 16, 2016 14:20

RaiseTheKnife
I always get a laugh when you people call Taylor a ''virtuoso'', he never was. Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuel, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson etc those guys are virtuosos. Taylor is blues player who started out by copying Clapton on his first Mayall record and then moved on the his own style with the Stones. But he was never a fast player with amazing chops. He was a blues player with fantastic tone, vibrato and great flow in his playing, but not by any means a virtuoso.

Your last sentence is odd. Because to me it comes off like a contradiction.
I guess it comes down to the definition of 'virtuoso'. In your opinion is it all about speed?
And actually MT at times can be heard playing with a lot of speed. Maybe it was a choice; to not play with too much speed.
I do want to say though, that those names you mention are all pretty decent guitarists.They're not shredders.

Date: October 16, 2016 14:53

Palace Revolution 2000
RaiseTheKnife

I guess it comes down to the definition of 'virtuoso'. In your opinion is it all about speed?
And actually MT at times can be heard playing with a lot of speed. Maybe it was a choice; to not play with too much speed.
I do want to say though, that those names you mention are all pretty decent guitarists.They're not shredders.

I think it's a combination of both great tone, vibrato, flow and speed. Taylor never had the speed, which comes naturally comes to anyone with enough mastery of the instrument.

I'm not a fast guitar player, but I can still play any Taylor solo note for note after a day of two if I want to learn it. It may not sound like Taylor but from a technical standpoint he has never played anything which requires 5+ hours of daily practice like those others players I mentioned.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 17, 2016 02:45

RaiseTheKnife
Palace Revolution 2000
RaiseTheKnife

I think it's a combination of both great tone, vibrato, flow and speed. Taylor never had the speed, which comes naturally comes to anyone with enough mastery of the instrument.

I'm not a fast guitar player, but I can still play any Taylor solo note for note after a day of two if I want to learn it. It may not sound like Taylor but from a technical standpoint he has never played anything which requires 5+ hours of daily practice like those others players I mentioned.

The notes you don't play are just as important as the notes you play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-17 02:49 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 17, 2016 09:41

As for speed, it's how you define it. Does speed mean what Frank Zappa once described as, "clouds of gnat notes?" Or something like "Flight of the Bumblebee?" Maybe Taylor never played like that but he did certainly play some rather fast runs at times. So has Wood.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 17, 2016 10:45

On the 1972-versions of GS, Taylor plays as fast as anyone. It's just that speed and virtuosity wasn't really his style.

But keep in mind, RaiseTheKnife, it's natural for a lot of posters here to compare his «virtuosity» to the other guitar players in the Stones winking smiley

IMO, Taylor could have been a virtuous if he wanted, but instead he went for the tone, feel and the melodic motifs.

Date: October 17, 2016 12:02

Spot on Dandie!

Date: October 17, 2016 12:03

video: [youtu.be]

Date: October 17, 2016 12:55

RaiseTheKnife
Palace Revolution 2000
RaiseTheKnife

I don't quite agree w/ you Knife; MT didn't do it for drawn out passages, but I have heard him play fast. Esp. in the live 73 shows. Stones music just doesn't call for that kind of playing.
Again - it seems that it was a choice of his, the way he played. He comes from the school of Blues, and I personally take his style of Blues over Jimmy Page Blues. He plays differently on his solo stuff.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 17, 2016 14:07

...isn't this a Ronnie thread?...why are we talking about Taylor....%^&$ him.

Date: October 17, 2016 14:25

Rip This

Haven´t you realized yet that every thread on this board sooner or later becomes a Mick-Taylor-thread?grinning smiley

Those Taylorites are everywheresmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 17, 2016 14:57

HMS
Rip This

Haven´t you realized yet that every thread on this board sooner or later becomes a Mick-Taylor-thread?grinning smiley

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. Taylor hasn't been a member since 1974 but you can't just talk about Ronnie without MT coming up....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 17, 2016 15:16

Back to topic, I found a great solo by Ronnie from YCAGWYW in Saitama 2006: Ronnie solo YCAGWYW

Date: October 17, 2016 15:30

Yes he did some of his best work on several versions of YCAGWYW.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 17, 2016 17:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
Rip This

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. Taylor hasn't been a member since 1974 but you can't just talk about Ronnie without MT coming up....

Especially since you brought him up multiple times in this thread out of nowhere.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home