Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 17, 2016 19:22

Here is a helpfull suggestion , do not for any reason feed the tr#$% ,because he will just keep coming back

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 17, 2016 20:26

There were the Stones with Brian, then with Taylor and then with Wood, according to taste each one has preferences, but maybe not.
I prefer Brian period, undoubtedly the best time Stones, Wood I like it because it is much more like Brian, while Taylor is another matter entirely.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 17, 2016 21:34

Palace Revolution 2000
RaiseTheKnife

I think it's a combination of both great tone, vibrato, flow and speed. Taylor never had the speed, which comes naturally comes to anyone with enough mastery of the instrument.

I'm not a fast guitar player, but I can still play any Taylor solo note for note after a day of two if I want to learn it. It may not sound like Taylor but from a technical standpoint he has never played anything which requires 5+ hours of daily practice like those others players I mentioned.

I don't quite agree w/ you Knife; MT didn't do it for drawn out passages, but I have heard him play fast. Esp. in the live 73 shows. Stones music just doesn't call for that kind of playing.
Again - it seems that it was a choice of his, the way he played. He comes from the school of Blues, and I personally take his style of Blues over Jimmy Page Blues. He plays differently on his solo stuff.

When I say fast I mean this kind of speed: John Petrucci solo. Not the Clapton inspired hammer-on licks Taylor always played. Taylor had other qualities to his playing and not being a fast player does not make one less worth as a guitar player, but the fact still remains that you can't call Taylor a fast guitarist or a virtuoso. BTW Taylor was much closer to being a ''virtuoso'' than the sloppy Jimmy Page was. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-17 21:37 by RaiseTheKnife.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 17, 2016 21:42

I really don't have any favorite RW solos. I prefer Keith's virtuoso chord and riff playing. I know Keith enjoys the "weaving" with Ronnie, but personally I preferred the more lead playing style of Mick Taylor.

Date: October 18, 2016 00:21

beachbreak
I really don't have any favorite RW solos. I prefer Keith's virtuoso chord and riff playing. I know Keith enjoys the "weaving" with Ronnie, but personally I preferred the more lead playing style of Mick Taylor.

You don't like his Wild Horses or Angie-solo from Hold On Tight 1975?

I would be interested in hearing why..

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 18, 2016 03:52

Ronnie talented but the Angie solo just doesn't move me at all. I didn't hear Wild Horses.

Date: October 18, 2016 08:23

RaiseTheKnife
Palace Revolution 2000
RaiseTheKnife

I think it's a combination of both great tone, vibrato, flow and speed. Taylor never had the speed, which comes naturally comes to anyone with enough mastery of the instrument.

I'm not a fast guitar player, but I can still play any Taylor solo note for note after a day of two if I want to learn it. It may not sound like Taylor but from a technical standpoint he has never played anything which requires 5+ hours of daily practice like those others players I mentioned.

I don't quite agree w/ you Knife; MT didn't do it for drawn out passages, but I have heard him play fast. Esp. in the live 73 shows. Stones music just doesn't call for that kind of playing.
Again - it seems that it was a choice of his, the way he played. He comes from the school of Blues, and I personally take his style of Blues over Jimmy Page Blues. He plays differently on his solo stuff.

When I say fast I mean this kind of speed: John Petrucci solo. Not the Clapton inspired hammer-on licks Taylor always played. Taylor had other qualities to his playing and not being a fast player does not make one less worth as a guitar player, but the fact still remains that you can't call Taylor a fast guitarist or a virtuoso. BTW Taylor was much closer to being a ''virtuoso'' than the sloppy Jimmy Page was. smiling smiley

I fear we might be speaking in different languages by now. That Petrucci clip is cold to me. I would never call that a virtuoso. It's just fingers moving really fast. I have seen these rare 8 or 9 year olds who can just fly all over the fretboard; or on a piano. But ..we need some kind of emo 'tipping the hat'.

Date: October 18, 2016 08:46

beachbreak
Ronnie talented but the Angie solo just doesn't move me at all. I didn't hear Wild Horses.

Did you hear the video I posted in this thread?

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: October 18, 2016 12:49

Good to see this has turned into a regular "Post about Ronnie Wood that inevitably results in MT vs Woody debates"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 18, 2016 14:28

video: [www.youtube.com]

Solo is Keith but the key outro lick - one of their best - is pure Ronnie.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2150
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home