Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 23, 2016 20:54

whitem8
Were is that quoted from? And could be one source...I am still not convinced. There could have been a full-fledged mono mix made. And if there wasn't if this team for this release had access to the original source tapes they could have made a mono new mono mix.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 23, 2016 21:20

I love the Steve Hoffman site....in small doses.
I can't think of an equivalent forum in the UK? Maybe we're not as obsessive, that's all.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 24, 2016 21:38

jlowe
I love the Steve Hoffman site....in small doses.
I can't think of an equivalent forum in the UK? Maybe we're not as obsessive, that's all.

I dip my toe in then run every now and then.

Posted by: hj3009 ()
Date: August 28, 2016 16:02

According to:
[www.superdeluxeedition.com]
Stray Cats (new compilation)
1.Come On
2.I Want To Be Loved
3.I Wanna Be Your Man
4.Stoned
5.Fortune Teller
6.Poison Ivy (Version 1)
7.Bye Bye Johnny
8.Money
9.Poison Ivy (Version 2)
10.Not Fade Away
11.I’ve Been Loving You Too Long
12.The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man (Single)
13.19th Nervous Breakdown
14.Sad Day
15.Con Le Mie Lacrime (As Tears Go By)
16.Long, Long While
17.Who’s Driving Your Plane?
18.We Love You (Single Version)
19.Dandelion
20.Child Of The Moon
21.Jumpin’ Jack Flash
22.Street Fighting Man (Single)
23.Honky Tonk Women
24.You Can’t Always Get What You Want (Single)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 28, 2016 16:45

hj3009

Stray Cats (new compilation)

Still the same Tracklist as already posted here: [iorr.org] . Official Tracklist: [www.universal-music.co.jp] . Therefore: No changes .... smiling smiley

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: August 28, 2016 17:22

Who need Stones in Mono? That's the way they always been heard. What i want is Stones in Stereo.For the CD edition they could have put both stereo and mono
mixes on the same disc, exept for Aftermath that could have been a double.
Matt

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 28, 2016 18:52

Ragnbert
Who need Stones in Mono? That's the way they always been heard. What i want is Stones in Stereo.For the CD edition they could have put both stereo and mono
mixes on the same disc, exept for Aftermath that could have been a double.
Matt

but if they did that, they wouldn't be able to sell us the all-true-stereo boxset in two years.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 28, 2016 18:58

well I for one am very happy to have this coming. I was listening to their first four albums and it says on the cover, "processed to Stereo..." So these dont even seem to be true stereo, but a sloppy afterthought. The Mono will/has much more punch with the early stuff. More guitar attack up and center. and a deeper bass sound. The superdeluxe site describes the process using the original tapes and converting to 24 bit for cutting at Abbey Road studios, so very similar to the recent Exile release, which is the definitive mix and sound! So I am optimistic this will sound pretty good. Well as good as the early ones can (due to their early stuff being very sloppily produced by novices).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-28 21:02 by whitem8.

Date: August 28, 2016 19:05

whitem8
well I for one am very happy to have this coming. I was listening to their first four albums and it says on the cover, "processed to Stereo..." So these done even seem to be true stereo, but a sloppy afterthought. The Mon will/has much more punch with the early stuff. More guitar attack up and center. and a deeper bass sound. The superdeluxe site describes the process using the original tapes and converting to 24 bit for cutting at Abbey Road studios, so very similar to the recent Exile release, which is the definitive mix and sound! So I am optimistic this will sound pretty good. Well as good as the early ones can (due to their early stuff being very sloppily produced by novices).

me too...the beatles mono boxset is excellent...startlingly better than the stereos. hope for the same with the stones!

Date: August 28, 2016 19:44

In Europe they weren't processed to stereo, only "true" mono so I guess there is nothing new to our ears. Also I don't think we will ever see a true stereo box. Maybe we can hope for a a compilation of the stereo mixes we know exists but never officially released.
Matt

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 30, 2016 19:23

Ragnbert
In Europe they weren't processed to stereo, only "true" mono so I guess there is nothing new to our ears. Also I don't think we will ever see a true stereo box. Maybe we can hope for a a compilation of the stereo mixes we know exists but never officially released.
Matt
Is this really true? So all my old records are actually mono and there is no difference between Mono and Stereo for the european decca recordings?
Where did you get this info from?

Date: August 30, 2016 23:37

What I mean is that the first albums that were only mono weren't processed to fake stereo by Decca in europe, except for OOOH which is labelled stereo but is not. I don't think it is processed either, at least not in the way the american processed albums are with treble in one channel and bass in the other. Albums from Aftermath are in true stereo and mono.

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:32

Blueranger
Bill Levenson, the original mastering engineer for the mono and stereo version of Beggars Banquet, has stated openly that he got specific instructions to use a dedicated mono mix for "Sympathy For The Devil", which was put on at the end of the mastertape of the stereo mix. He was asked to fold down the rest of the songs from stereo into mono.

Bill isn't a mastering engineer, and I don't believe he's ever supervised a mastering of the album, but as subsequently noted, he has indeed handled a/the Decca master of Beggars Banquet.

As I noted elsewhere, what likely happened was:

1) Beggars Banquet was mixed to stereo at Sunset Sound in LA.
2) First (stereo) LPs were cut from the master tape in LA. EQ'd cutting master made during mastering on an off-speed tape machine.
3) EQ'd cutting master sent to Decca for further cutting.
4) Decca cutting engineer notices that the piano in Sympathy disappears when the mix is folded to mono, and requests a mono mix.
5) Mono mix of Sympathy, and only Sympathy, is made and sent to Decca. Decca uses this mono mix along with a fold-down of their off-speed EQ'd cutting master for the rest of the album.

Also, this was alluded to above, but the uncensored mix of Under Assistant on the 45 is identical to the censored LP version. The LP version was only edited. However, the version on the 1989 Singles Collection is a different, new mix, that (while uncensored), has the vocal/harmonica higher in the mix and has a longer fade-out. Presumably the unedited original mix went missing.

Date: September 2, 2016 18:00

From ABKCO's official Facebook page:

"With The Rolling Stones [UK] featuring mostly covers, 12x5 marks The Rolling Stones’ coming of age as innovative and successful songwriters.
“Time is on My Side” was the first original song recorded by The Rolling Stones to reach the Billboard Hot 100 top 10".

[www.facebook.com]

Face meets palm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-02 19:48 by Deltics.

Date: September 2, 2016 19:25

Deltics

From ABKCO's official Facebook page:
“Time is on My Side” was the first original song recorded by The Rolling Stones to reach the Billboard Hot 100 top 10".

"Time Is On My Side" was written by Jordan Ragovoy under the pseudonym of Norman Meade (with additional lyrics by Jimmy Norman).

The "Time Is On My Side" - Single (US-Release: September 26, 1964) peaked at #6 on the US-Billboard Hot 100 and became the Rolling Stones' first Top-10-Hit in the United States.
B-side was "Congratulations", a composition by Jagger/Richards, [en.wikipedia.org] .

"The Last Time" was the Band's first Single written by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards (US-Release: March 13, 1965) and peaked at #9 on the US-Billboard Hot 100 (Wikipedia).

The Rolling Stones Singles: [en.wikipedia.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-02 20:00 by Irix.

Date: September 3, 2016 02:02

Irix
"The Last Time" was the Band's first Single written by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards (US-Release: March 13, 1965) and peaked at #9 on the US-Billboard Hot 100 (Wikipedia).

In the US, Tell Me beat it by 9 months. And Heart of Stone beat it by 3.

But yes, The Last Time was the first Jagger/Richards single in the UK.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 3, 2016 03:36

i have the no 1 and no2 stones cd on mono and out of our heads to came out in mono when they put scad cds out,very good sound,i do not think i will buy this box ,i do want stones usa cds ,bad track listings.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 06:17

We HAVE the first, what?,4 of these albums in mono already don't we? That's how they were initially released. So we're being asked to pay big bucks for 11 others.

Or will there be a substantive difference in the sound of the first 4 due to remastering, mixing etc? Just interested in everyone's take on this.

Rod

Date: September 3, 2016 09:55

lukpac

In the US, Tell Me beat it by 9 months. And Heart of Stone beat it by 3.

But they weren't in the Top-10 of the US-Billboard Hot 100: 'Tell Me' #24, 'Heart of Stone' #19 - [www.billboard.com] .

The requirements are: 1st original song recorded by The Rolling Stones in the Top-10 of the US-Billboard Hot 100.

It seems that ABKCO have noticed their error and have meanwhile removed the questionable entry from their Facebook page.

Date: September 3, 2016 12:38

Irix
It seems that ABKCO have noticed their error and have meanwhile removed the questionable entry from their Facebook page.

So it would seem! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-03 12:42 by Deltics.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 3, 2016 13:42

bitusa2012
We HAVE the first, what?,4 of these albums in mono already don't we? That's how they were initially released. So we're being asked to pay big bucks for 11 others.

Or will there be a substantive difference in the sound of the first 4 due to remastering, mixing etc? Just interested in everyone's take on this.

No one is forced to buy anything. Besides that, the albums will be released seperately next year, as already announced.

All releases carries new remastering as of 2016.

Sometimes I wish people would just take 5 minutes and read the press releases before start bullying.

And by the way, how come this habit that old fans always thinks products like these are aimed at them, personally? As I said earlier in this thread: How about the generation of new Stones fans and vinyl freaks which has emerged since the vinyl became hip again? Shouldn't they have the opportunity to buy these wonderful records as well?

As I said: No one forces you or anyone to buy the thing. If you want to stick with your originals, then fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-03 13:44 by Blueranger.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 3, 2016 15:15

..for Abkco..."12x5"was not issued in UK...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2016 15:19

Blueranger
bitusa2012

No one is forced to buy anything. Besides that, the albums will be released seperately next year, as already announced.

Sometimes I wish people would just take 5 minutes and read the press releases before start bullying.

And by the way, how come this habit that old fans always thinks products like these are aimed at them, personally? As I said earlier in this thread: How about the generation of new Stones fans and vinyl freaks which has emerged since the vinyl became hip again? Shouldn't they have the opportunity to buy these wonderful records as well?

As I said: No one forces you or anyone to buy the thing. If you want to stick with your originals, then fine.

Glad I asked. Sorry for being a bully. Bold text, by the way, was not in my original post. Someone else seems to have put that in to sort of emphasise my ( their) point. I wonder who?

Rod

Date: September 3, 2016 23:40

Blueranger
bitusa2012

my addiction forces me to buy it, and i resent them for this.

Date: September 5, 2016 10:50

jp.M

And ABKCO as well as [timeisonourside.com] say that '12x5' was released on October 24, 1964 - while [nzentgraf.de] and [en.wikipedia.org] say it was released on October 17, 1964 ....

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: September 6, 2016 10:02

DandelionPowderman

Aftermath in particular benefits highly when in mono.

Soooooo true! Aftermath is almost unlistenable in stereo. It's that dead space...

"stereo mixes were pretty crude: everything was left, centre or right, with lots of dead space in between"

It's a big relief to FINALLY have the mono releases out. I thought Brenda would never bother saying 'yes' to the mono versions being released...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2016 10:03

Brenda !!!!!!!! .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: September 6, 2016 11:12

Irix
jp.M

And ABKCO as well as [timeisonourside.com] say that '12x5' was released on October 24, 1964 - while [nzentgraf.de] and [en.wikipedia.org] say it was released on October 17, 1964 ....

This is really amazing. How difficult can it be! A Rolling Stones LP with the name 12 x 5 was never issued in UK. Well, a reissue came in the 90's.
Even ABCKO page says:
"12x5" was released on 24 October 1964, reaching No 3 on the UK charts"

The LP issued in UK is Rolling Stones No2. and NOT 12x5 ......

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 6, 2016 11:30

Jan Richards
Irix
jp.M

This is really amazing. How difficult can it be! A Rolling Stones LP with the name 12 x 5 was never issued in UK. Well, a reissue came in the 90's.
Even ABCKO page says:
"12x5" was released on 24 October 1964, reaching No 3 on the UK charts"

The LP issued in UK is Rolling Stones No2. and NOT 12x5 ......

Guys, you are too pickywinking smiley
History is a discipline that could be re-written anew. And the new version will look better and more punchy smiling smiley

Date: September 7, 2016 02:02

frenki09
Soooooo true! Aftermath is almost unlistenable in stereo. It's that dead space...

"stereo mixes were pretty crude: everything was left, centre or right, with lots of dead space in between"

It's a big relief to FINALLY have the mono releases out. I thought Brenda would never bother saying 'yes' to the mono versions being released...

Depends on the song.

Mother's Little Helper is definitely a bit overly discrete in stereo. But Under My Thumb arguably sounds great in stereo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home