Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 10, 2016 19:30

stones40

As yet no one representing any of these labels has as yet confirmed that there a release taking place 30/09/16.

Official now: [www.universal-music.co.jp] .

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 10, 2016 19:58

Ok I am slightly excited about a Box Set of all MONO mixes. Now let's see if ABKCO does something right and issues a box set of all the TRUE STEREO mixes they have been keeping a secret for all these years. Why? I still can't figure it out.

Sincerely,

SOULSURVIVOR

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 10, 2016 20:05

stones40
Yes Amazon.com is showing the label as ABKCO with ASIN: B01H2NU8DQ
yet Amazon.co.uk is showing label as Commercial Marketing with ASIN: B01H2NU8DQ.
This discrepency requires to be cleared up as it is clouding the adverts.
However it is possible that this is a semi combination of the US and UK Mono LP's up to Let It Bleed where
ABKCO , Polydor, Universal , Decca And London were all labels involved in the songs contained in the 15 CDs/Vinyls.
As yet no one representing any of these labels has as yet confirmed that there is a release taking place 30/09/16.
Would have expected Universal/ABKCO to be publishing this rare and spectacular event and perhaps that will follow shortly.
The lack of information from a trustworthy source and the extremely high selling prices i.e.

Purchase The CD for £96.79 (HERE) Amazon.co.uk

Purchase the Vinyl for £251.49 (HERE) Amazon.co.uk

should make one cautious about committing to this purchase until it becomes abundantly clear that this is a genuine release from ABCKO/Universal.
Until these issues have been cleared up i will not consider placing a pre-order even it it means that i will miss out on this limited edition.
It is entirely up to each individual Stones fan whether they trust the Amazon only pre-order advert and order now or wait a bit longer to see what develops via ABCKO/Universal.
Hopefully this will turn out to be absolutely the genuine article as the overall 15 CD/Vinyl package could be something spectacular for Stones fans looking for high quality mono sound songs from 1963- 1969.

It must be hard to be so suspious about the obvious.
Anyway, it is now officially confirmed by Universal.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 10, 2016 21:09

Is BB and LIB in true mono?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 10, 2016 21:42

Best price via [www.soundstagedirect.com]

Free shipping. Comes out to $312, a $78 savings. Use code LP20 If you want this, Id order before this pricing goes away. They only sell vinyl on this site, so no CD discount here. Ive ordered from them before with this same 20% discount. This is legit.

Date: August 10, 2016 21:57

DrPete
Is BB and LIB in true mono?

Actually no. Except for one track: "Sympathy For The Devil" was given a dedicated mono mix. The rest of "Beggars Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" are folddowns.
However, "Let It Bleed" in mono has it's fans, since much of it has more punch.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 11, 2016 00:46

The price at Amazon UK is starting to go up considerably. I bought it for 83.74 pounds( approx 109.00 US dollars) a couple of days ago. The price is now up to 148.56 pounds which is about 193.00 US dollars.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 00:54

Blueranger it is better to be suspicious than moneyless as there have been many Stones record cons over the years.
Thanks for your input plus Irix.
I have been carefully looking through my Stones record collection and already have all listed songs in one form or another.
Have to assume that Universal/ABCKO are actively trying to encourage fans to think that this new release is something extra special using the Limited Edition banner as the seducer.

Date: August 11, 2016 01:48

stones40
Blueranger it is better to be suspicious than moneyless as there have been many Stones record cons over the years.
Thanks for your input plus Irix.
I have been carefully looking through my Stones record collection and already have all listed songs in one form or another.
Have to assume that Universal/ABCKO are actively trying to encourage fans to think that this new release is something extra special using the Limited Edition banner as the seducer.

I don't agree. I placed an order via Amazon when it was still not officially confirmed. If it had turned out it was a fake release, I could have cancelled it right away, and certainly I would.

However, it's been 14(!) years since ABKCO last promoted the 60's records. Since then, a whole new generation of music-enthusiasts has come to the fore. There is nothing wrong with a record label promoting the records of a household name to generate new fans.

Every time a re-release or a compilation is promoted, the hardcore fans automatically thinks it's aimed at them, when it's clearly not the case.
This kind of egocentric behaviour among the hardcore's are downright wrongheaded.

Don't we all agree on this board that new generations of fans should own all these fantastic records? It's among the best music ever created!
So let ABKCO or who it is re-release all they want. It's the better for it. The music will be heard. And those who already own it all: Fine. Stick with your collection. No one forces you to buy this one!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 11, 2016 09:07

The Rolling Stones Mono Box Set From ABKCO Coming September 30th

ABKCO today announced the long expected Rolling Stones16 LP MONO box set, due September 30th.
The set will be available on vinyl, CD, Standard Digital, Mastered for iTunes, and TruHD (96/24, 192/24 and DSD) and totals 186 tracks, 56 of which have never before been heard in mono by "the digital people".

As with The Beatles, between 1963 and 1969 when these albums were originally released, the mono mixes were considered more important since that's how most kids listened both on the radio and at home.

And like the mono Beatles albums, the mono Rolling Stones albums have a directness and impactful sound quality arguably lacking in the more disjointed stereo mixes. In fact, the earliest records were never released in genuine stereo but album buyers in large numbers did buy the "electronically reprocessed for stereo" versions, which is one reason original monos in good condition have become so collectible—especially the rare UK pressed "London FFRR" records packaged in the American jackets.

Here is the album line-up—a mix of UK and U.S. releases plus a collection of singles and E.P. tracks:

1) The Rolling Stones (UK, 1964)
2) 12 X 5 (1964)
3) The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK, 1965)
4) The Rolling Stones Now! (1965)
5) Out of Our Heads (US, 1965)
6) Out of Our Heads (UK, 1965)
7) December’s Children (And Everybody’s) (1965)
8) Aftermath (UK, 1966)
9) Aftermath (US, 1966)
10) Between the Buttons (UK, 1967)
11) Flowers (1967)
12) Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967) 13) Beggar’s Banquet (1968)
14) Let it Bleed (1969)
15) Stray Cats (a new collection of single A & B sides plus E.P. tracks)

Rolling Stone senior editor David Fricke penned the 5000 word annotation included in a four color deluxe 48 page "lie flat" book that features many rare Terry O'Neil photos. The LPs are housed in the original full color (where appropriate) album jackets that are presented along with the book in a one piece, specially crafted box.

Now for the details you really want to know: Bob Ludwig mastered at Gateway. I emailed Bob this afternoon. He told me he produced both 192/24 bit PCM and DSD masters (2,822,400) for project supervisor Teri Landi, who did an excellent job with the Decca era Stones LP box set cut from DSD masters.

Lacquer cutting was at Abbey Road Studios, with both Alex Wharton and Sean Magee doing the honors. Not yet sure from what digital source the lacquers were cut (PCM or DSD). But when that's clarified, this news item will be updated.

LPs will be pressed at GZ Media in the Czech Republic—a pressing facility that did an excellent job with the previous Rolling Stones box sets. Yes, many of you are disappointed that the cutting source was not analog tape, but let's reserve judgement until we actually listen. The Decca stereo Stones box set sounds great.

I have original mono pressings (U.S. and UK) of everything in the box other than Satanic Majesties Request and Let It Bleed so let the comparisons begin!...well when the records arrive...

Speaking of which, the press release included an Amazon link that appears to be the only place where the set (at first at least) will be available. The price now is $391.95, with Amazon assuring buyers that if the price goes lower by the end of the release date, buyers will get the lowest available price.

Read more at [www.analogplanet.com]

Date: August 11, 2016 09:27

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 22:24 by stones40.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 11, 2016 10:22

Noticed in the press blurb..."Sam Cooke biopic ".
ABKCO Films have been workng on this forever.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 11, 2016 10:41

Irix
stones40

As yet no one representing any of these labels has as yet confirmed that there a release taking place 30/09/16.

Really? Because I got error 404 page does not exist.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 11:08

On Rolling Stone magazine too:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: August 11, 2016 11:35

ironbelly
Irix

Really? Because I got error 404 page does not exist.

Yes - it was definitely there on 11-Aug-2016 (from midnight on, Tokyo time). Dunno why Universal has it removed now. Still no press release from ABKCO at the moment.

The content of Universal's press release was: [www.iorr.org] .

The japanese original is still in Google's Cache - insert the Link from above in Google's search bar and then choose the dropdown menu 'Cached'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 11:50 by Irix.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2016 15:37

What ever your thoughts on this box set, if nothing else it's nice to have all of the UK/US Jones era albums etc in one set.

I hope they use the true mono mix for TSMR and not the later stereo fold down, but to be honest, I don't think Aftermath - TSMR albums are better in mono, more punchy for sure, but with denser instrumentation of that time the not so well done stereo mixes allow you to hear things that are kind of missing or buried in the mono mixes.

It shall be bought. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 15:48 by His Majesty.

Date: August 11, 2016 16:21

Blueranger you are absolutely correct in that music fans of any age ( new or older ) should be able to buy and enjoy the brilliant Stones music emulating from 1963 - 1969 period as its some of the best music ever created.
They should also check out the period from 1971 - 1981 as that also contains a multitude of really excellent songs.
A new generation of fans buying and enjoying Stones songs would be absolutely brilliant and that should be actively encouraged by all concerned.

Amazons price list from a week ago has increased dramatically as follows -

Purchase The CDs for £96.79 (then) now £148.56

Purchase the Vinyl(s) for £251.49 (then) now £391.68

One has to ask what has caused this substantial increase in price ?
Is it because they have only a low quantity of the limited edition available and that Universal/ABCKO are anticipating that demand will far exceed availability.
Anyway let not the price put anyone off buying this treasure trove of excellent Stones songs which should be enjoyed by everybody.

Ps - still no official press releases from Universal/ABCKO but we should hear something definite shortly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 17:05 by stones40.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 16:53

stones40
When you look further in to things this has already been tried in a similar fashion in 2010 by ABCKO - see Amazon.com Rolling Stones Mono -
It would appear that limited edition release 30/09/16 is perhaps an extension of product described below showing on Amazon.com at some ridiculously high prices.

The Rolling Stones 1964-1969 - Limited Edition Remastered Vinyl Box SetNov 22, 2010 | Box set
by The Rolling Stones

$662.27used & new(7 offers)

3.9 out of 5 stars

Product Description

Strictly limited edition 13 vinyl LP box set that encompasses the Stones' early UK releases. The box set includes nine remastered Rolling Stones studio albums, two remastered EPs, plus two 'Big Hits' collections. The first five titles in the set are presented in their original mono format, affording, for the first time in years. The inclusion of the band's original two Hits collections was mandated by the fact that UK album releases in that era most often did not include contemporaneously released hit singles.

Review

THE ROLLING STONES 1964-69/THE ROLLING STONES 1971-2005
Upper Manhattan, mid-1980s, an underfurnished railroad apartment. Three young men whose last meal was almost certainly noodle-based sit on overturned milk crates near a turntable. They're listening hard. To what? To a fixation: the first five Rolling Stones LPs in mono.

We weren't ridiculous. We weren't wrong. If you bought these records new at Sam Goody, you'd hear sound fit for a dog: old mono reprocessed into fake stereo, bassy in one speaker, trebly in the other, sloshed with reverb. If you got yourself around a used mono version, not so hard to find in those days -- especially of the sacramental "Out of Our Heads" -- you'd hear the band's greasy transmission, its full feckless assault, much more clearly.

We didn't have the British versions, though, some with different songs in a different order. We weren't that pro. We were 20 years too early. In a breathtaking all-vinyl boxed set, ABKCO has reissued the Stones' studio-album corpus up through 1969, and those that were originally mono (pre-"Aftermath") have been kept that way. Some of these probably sound as good as is currently possible. Simultaneously, Universal has released its own vinyl-only boxed set for the rest of the band's work, from "Sticky Fingers" to "A Bigger Bang." These will be more familiar to anyone who grew up with them: there was no mono-stereo issue here, no track-order scrambling between markets. They look and sound beautiful, using the best recent remastering and vinyl cutting. And here, cultured reader, would be the occasion to start building your defense of the undervalued "Goats Head Soup." -- The New York Times, November 26, 2010

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Bye Bye Johnny

2. Money

3. You Better Move On

4. Poison Ivy

Disc: 2

1. Route 66

2. I Just Want To Make Love To You

3. Honest I Do

4. Mona (I Need You Baby)

5. Now I've Got a Witness

6. Little by Little

7. I'm A King Bee

8. Carol

9. Tell Me

10. Can I Get A Witness

11. You Can Make It If You Try

12. Walking the Dog

Disc: 3

1. If You Need Me

2. Empty Heart

3. 2120 South Michigan Avenue

4. Confessin' the Blues

5. Around and Around

Disc: 4

1. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

2. Down Home Girl

3. You Can't Catch Me

4. Time Is On My Side

5. What a Shame

6. Grown Up Wrong

7. Down the Road Apiece

8. Under the Boardwalk

9. I Can't Be Satisfied

10. Pain In My Heart

11. Off The Hook

12. Suzie-Q

Disc: 5

1. She Said Yeah

2. Mercy, Mercy

3. Hitch Hike

4. That's How Strong My Love Is

5. Good Times

6. Gotta Get Away

7. Talkin' About You

8. Cry To Me

9. Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin')

10. Heart of Stone

11. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man

12. I'm Free

Disc: 6

1. Mother's Little Helper

2. Stupid Girl

3. Lady Jane

4. Under My Thumb

5. Doncha Bother Me

6. Going Home

7. Flight 505

8. High And Dry

9. Out Of Time

10. It's Not Easy

11. I Am Waiting

12. Take It or Leave It

13. Think

14. What To Do

Disc: 7

1. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

2. Paint It, Black

3. It's All Over Now

4. The Last Time

5. Heart of Stone

6. Not Fade Away

7. Come On

8. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

9. Get Off Of My Cloud

10. As Tears Go By

11. 19th Nervous Breakdown

12. Lady Jane

13. Time Is On My Side

14. Little Red Rooster

Disc: 8

1. Yesterday's Papers

2. My Obsession

3. Back Street Girl

4. Connection

5. She Smiled Sweetly

6. Cool, Calm & Collected

7. All Sold Out

8. Please Go Home

9. Who's Been Sleeping Here?

10. Complicated

11. Miss Amanda Jones

12. Something Happened to Me Yesterday

Disc: 9

1. Sing This All Together

2. Citadel

3. In Another Land

4. 2000 Man

5. Sing This All Together (See What Happens)

6. She's A Rainbow

7. The Lantern

8. Gomper

9. 2000 Light Years From Home

10. On With The Show

Disc: 10

1. Sympathy For The Devil

2. No Expectations

3. Dear Doctor

4. Parachute Woman

5. Jigsaw Puzzle

6. Street Fighting Man

7. Prodigal Son

8. Stray Cat Blues

9. Factory Girl

10. Salt of the Earth

Disc: 11

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash

2. Mother's Little Helper

3. 2,000 Light Years From Home

4. Let's Spend The Night Together

5. You Better Move On

6. We Love You

7. Street Fighting Man

8. She's A Rainbow

9. Ruby Tuesday

10. Dandelion

11. Sittin' On The Fence

12. Honky Tonk Women

Disc: 12

1. Gimme Shelter

2. Love In Vain

3. Country Honk

4. Live With Me

5. Let It Bleed

6. Midnight Rambler

7. You Got The Silver

8. Monkey Man

9. You Can't Always Get What You Want

Disc: 13

1. Out Of Time

2. Don't Lie To Me

3. Somethings Just Stick In Your Mind

4. Each and Every Day of the Year

5. Heart Of Stones

6. I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys

7. (Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City

8. We're Wastin' Time

9. Try A Little Harder

10. I Don't Know Why

11. If You Let Me

12. Jiving Sister Fanny

13. Downtown Suzie

14. Family

15. Memo From Turner

16. I'm Going Down

Product Details

Vinyl (November 22, 2010)
Limited Edition edition
Number of Discs: 13
Format: Box set, Limited Edition, Original recording remastered
Note on Boxed Sets: During shipping, discs in boxed sets occasionally become dislodged without damage. Please examine and play these discs. If you are not completely satisfied, we'll refund or replace your purchase.
Label: Abkco
ASIN: B00461MY30
Average Customer Review: 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (17 customer reviews)

Regrettably there will always been some fans out there who will be conned in to paying way over the odds for song compilations that are not value for money.

Don't worry mate. I am sure that will be plenty to go around. You don't have to talk those of us who want to buy a set out of it just so you can score. I want a vinyl set, really do, but just can't afford one at this stage. If I had the readies no amount of your negativity and bleating could stop me buying one. Give it a rest. First... Is it real, be careful. Now, you berate fans who willingly buy a set knowing what it is they are buying. We're not idiots. We have eyes. And we're intelligent. You don't have to be our guardian.

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:09

Vinyl set listed at "only" £275 at

Rod

Date: August 11, 2016 17:16

Bitusa2012 - Perhaps you should have read my earlier e-mail Date: August 11, 2016 14:21 to Blueranger
before replying which was as follows -

Blueranger you are absolutely correct in that music fans of any age ( new or older ) should be able to buy and enjoy the brilliant Stones music emulating from 1963 - 1969 period as its some of the best music ever created.
They should also check out the period from 1971 - 1981 as that also contains a multitude of really excellent songs.
A new generation of fans buying and enjoying Stones songs would be absolutely brilliant and that should be actively encouraged by all concerned.

Amazons price list from a week ago has increased dramatically as follows -

Purchase The CDs for £96.79 (then) now £148.56

Purchase the Vinyl(s) for £251.49 (then) now £391.68

One has to ask what has caused this substantial increase in price ?
Is it because they have only a low quantity of the limited edition available and that Universal/ABCKO are anticipating that demand will far exceed availability.
Anyway let not the price put anyone off buying this treasure trove of excellent Stones songs which should be enjoyed by everybody.

Still no official press releases from Universal/ABCKO but with the various leakages we should hear something definite shortly.

Ps - I am not trying to talk anyone out of buying so that i can capture one myself.
I am fortunate enough to already have all the songs shown in my Stones record collection in both formats.

Remember - We're free to do what we want any old time
We're free any old time to get what we want
And We're free any old time to get what we want
We're free to choose what we please any old time

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 17:39 by stones40.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:23

Bashlets
The price at Amazon UK is starting to go up considerably. I bought it for 83.74 pounds( approx 109.00 US dollars) a couple of days ago. The price is now up to 148.56 pounds which is about 193.00 US dollars.

yes, glad to have nabbed it at that price as well. too bad the vinyl was never discounted.

Date: August 11, 2016 17:25

What's on the bonus 7" single?

[www.platekompaniet.no]

[store.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: August 11, 2016 17:25

Now listed again at Universal Music Japan: [www.universal-music.co.jp] .

Universal-Music-Store LP-Box: [store.universal-music.co.jp] - 54.000 JPY (approx. EUR 477 / USD 532 / GBP 408).

Universal-Music-Store CD-Box: [store.universal-music.co.jp] - 23.143 JPY (approx. EUR 205 / USD 228 / GBP 175).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 17:40 by Irix.

Date: August 11, 2016 17:30

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:33

DandelionPowderman

[www.platekompaniet.no]

Which one?
"In nine countries these 7” 45s will be available in local stores in limited quantities, but all nine are also available exclusively through uDiscover Music when you order the CD or LP box sets."

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 11, 2016 17:35

Oh hell, they just upped the anty didn't they. Anyone know where Udiscover is out of? If they are in Europe I'm in.

Date: August 11, 2016 17:39

Deltics
DandelionPowderman

[www.platekompaniet.no]

Which one?
"In nine countries these 7” 45s will be available in local stores in limited quantities, but all nine are also available exclusively through uDiscover Music when you order the CD or LP box sets."

Sorry, that was the only norwegian line in the platekompaniet.no-link.

It says: «Everybody who orders The Rolling Stones In Mono on vinyl or cd will get an exlusive vinyl single included».

Date: August 11, 2016 18:00

DandelionPowderman

German 7” Single
A - 2,000 Light Years From Home
B - She's A Rainbow

UK 7” Single
A - Poison Ivy
B - Fortune Teller

Australian 7” Single
A - Fortune Teller
B - Sad Day

U.S.A 7” Single
A - Street Fighting Man
B - No Expectations

French 7” Single
A - We Love You
B - Dandelion

Japanese 7” Single
A - Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
B - Carol

Norwegian 7” Single
A - Time Is On My Side
B - Congratulations

Dutch 7” Single
A - Empty Heart
B - Around And Around

Canadian 7” Single
A - Not Fade Away
B - I Wanna Be Your Man

Date: August 11, 2016 18:02

Irix
DandelionPowderman

German 7” Single
A - 2,000 Light Years From Home
B - She's A Rainbow

UK 7” Single
A - Poison Ivy
B - Fortune Teller

Australian 7” Single
A - Fortune Teller
B - Sad Day

U.S.A 7” Single
A - Street Fighting Man
B - No Expectations

French 7” Single
A - We Love You
B - Dandelion

Japanese 7” Single
A - Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
B - Carol

Norwegian 7” Single
A - Time Is On My Side
B - Congratulations

Dutch 7” Single
A - Empty Heart
B - Around And Around

Canadian 7” Single
A - Not Fade Away
B - I Wanna Be Your Man

Thanks!

Looks like the germans, the french and the americans got the best bonus singles smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 18:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 11, 2016 18:10

THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO - Vinyl Box Set - €350/£295/$388 - [store.udiscovermusic.com]

THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO - CD Box Set - €173/£145/$191 - [store.udiscovermusic.com]

THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO - Vinyl Box Set + Exclusive 7" Singles - €400/£345/$445 - [store.udiscovermusic.com]

THE ROLLING STONES IN MONO - CD Box Set + Exclusive 7" Singles - €229/£195/$255 - [store.udiscovermusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-11 18:20 by Irix.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home