Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: September 18, 2016 17:46

Maindefender
The 2002 TSMR SACD is not mono, correct? I'm looking for a reason not to cancel my order. Happy Sunday all......

Stereo, as are Aftermath and Between The Buttons.

There are 4 mono Satanic songs on the 2002 Singles Collection, however.

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: September 18, 2016 20:21

Hey guys, Amazon.es(Spain) just dropped the Vinyl price, including shipping to the U.S. it's now under $300:

[www.amazon.es]

Mickboy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-18 20:23 by mickboy.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 19, 2016 00:21

lukpac
Maindefender
The 2002 TSMR SACD is not mono, correct? I'm looking for a reason not to cancel my order. Happy Sunday all......

Thanks looks like I'll bite the bullet....

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 19, 2016 09:36

FNAC in France corrected the release date as October 21
[recherche.fnac.com]

Date: September 20, 2016 17:11

lukpac
Maindefender

So, Teri Landi was involved with both the 2002 SACD's and this new release. Is this a good thing?
I don't have the 2002 singles but have the 1989 release which I would imagine is mono also.

Date: September 20, 2016 19:05

Japanese SHM-CD box looks like this
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Date: September 21, 2016 04:00

Maindefender
So, Teri Landi was involved with both the 2002 SACD's and this new release. Is this a good thing?
I don't have the 2002 singles but have the 1989 release which I would imagine is mono also.

As far as Teri Landi goes, I'm not sure who to praise/blame for various ABKCO decisions, so it's hard to say.

The 1989 Singles Collection has some mono and some stereo. Quickly listening, She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home are mono, but In Another Land and The Lantern are (narrowed) stereo.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 21, 2016 10:18

Oh man, after watching the Japanese video it does look like the 3D cover for TSMR is not there. Not mentioned in the text and I can't see it in the box set. Though hard to tell exactly, but it looks like a flat picture. Why not replicate this I wonder.

Date: September 21, 2016 11:22

frankotero
Oh man, after watching the Japanese video it does look like the 3D cover for TSMR is not there. Not mentioned in the text and I can't see it in the box set. Though hard to tell exactly, but it looks like a flat picture. Why not replicate this I wonder.
It is not only about 3D cover. Some Japanese OBIs say STEREO winking smiley

Date: September 21, 2016 12:11

Ya'll are going to laugh, I cancelled my pre-order twice. Really wanted to buy this but I'm blown away by too many let downs/missed opportunities/botched attempts over the years. This hardly seems like a replica set to me considering the amount of fold downs and artwork. Still curious though if the disc have the big Decca letters on them.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 21, 2016 12:56

frankotero
Ya'll are going to laugh, I cancelled my pre-order twice. Really wanted to buy this but I'm blown away by too many let downs/missed opportunities/botched attempts over the years. This hardly seems like a replica set to me considering the amount of fold downs and artwork. Still curious though if the disc have the big Decca letters on them.
Well I ordered the vinyl box and I can't wait to flip that mono switch on my stereo!

Date: September 21, 2016 13:32

Rock on Whale! Hope you have a very enjoyable experience. Cheers.

Date: September 21, 2016 18:51

lukpac
Maindefender

As far as Teri Landi goes, I'm not sure who to praise/blame for various ABKCO decisions, so it's hard to say.

The 1989 Singles Collection has some mono and some stereo. Quickly listening, She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home are mono, but In Another Land and The Lantern are (narrowed) stereo.

Thanks Lukpac for all your input. Final questions(haha): Have you pretty much gone thru the entire box set? Are there more mono mixes than your earlier findings? Still not an upgrade over 2002?(although 3 albums are now completely mono)

Peace out...smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2016 19:27

frankotero

To be clear, most of the songs that are fold-downs have always been folded-down in mono. Heart of Stone is an exception.

Maindefender
Thanks Lukpac for all your input. Final questions(haha): Have you pretty much gone thru the entire box set? Are there more mono mixes than your earlier findings? Still not an upgrade over 2002?(although 3 albums are now completely mono)

Peace out...smileys with beer

I think the ~4 albums of unique dedicated mono mixes are worthwhile if you want the mono mixes. But with a few small exceptions, I wouldn't consider the rest an upgrade over the 2002 remasters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 19:36

Other than now you can have them all on vinyl??

Date: September 21, 2016 21:43

(lukpac)I think the ~4 albums of unique dedicated mono mixes are worthwhile if you want the mono mixes. But with a few small exceptions, I wouldn't consider the rest an upgrade over the 2002 remasters.[/quote]

thumbs upthumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-21 21:44 by Maindefender.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 22, 2016 18:28

Really for vinyl collectors this is looking pretty good. I have some of the clear vinyl from ABKCO, however, many are just not good pressings with lots of surface noise So hopefully these pressings will be better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2016 22:48

OK, I now have one CD order from amazon.uk for 80 GBP, one vinyl box order from amazon.ca for $480 CAD, and I ordered from amazon.es which at the moment looks to be the best price for the vinyl, at $390 CAD delivered.

Anyone found a better price for the vinyl than that?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 22, 2016 23:06

treaclefingers
OK, I now have one CD order from amazon.uk for 80 GBP, one vinyl box order from amazon.ca for $480 CAD, and I ordered from amazon.es which at the moment looks to be the best price for the vinyl, at $390 CAD delivered.

Anyone found a better price for the vinyl than that?

It looks like Amazon.es has the best price so far: [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 23, 2016 18:33

Drum roll please. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: September 23, 2016 20:55

I actually think you have nailed it! Amazon.es has the lowest Vinyl price at the moment-that I know of. And now with a couple of Amazon outlets pushing the release date out to November 4th, they might have run out of the initial Pressings. A guy at Mosaic records told me how this works because I had thought that say, if a record company said there is a total of 5000 units pressed, well, that doesn't necessarily mean that they had all 5000 units PRESSED UP AT THE SAME TIME.
Very important to understand this correctly.
Mosaic might be able to sell a total of 5000 units of a title.
BUT.....when they put an item up for sale they might have only had 1000 units INITIALLY PRESSED being unsure of the popularity of the item-don't loose money pressing all 5000 of them if it might not even sell 1000.
THEN, if all 1000 sell out and there is still demand, then they might press up another 500, or 1000, or 4000. But the important thing is that they initially didn't press up all 5000.

So abkco might have pressed up 2000 Vinyl Boxes and 5000 CD box sets. And maybe those Amazon's that have pushed it out until November, have pre sold their initial allotment and the 'newly pressed' units won't be available to sell until Nov. 4.

That would make sense.
Anybody know anyone who works for Amazon????

mickboy

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: September 24, 2016 02:02

drwatts

Collectors always find something to complain about, but the cover photos of the UK LPs are all cropped wrong (much too tight, with parts of the photos missing). It looks like they used the re-cropped photos from the old digipak CD reissues and re-cropped them once more, losing much of the original photos/compositions. Only "Buttons" looks right. The iconic DECCA logos are missing for legal reasons, I assume? The lenticular cover for "Majesties" was not recreated, which was probably too difficult/expensive.

Date: September 24, 2016 02:46

MrEcho
drwatts

Collectors always find something to complain about, but the cover photos of the UK LPs are all cropped wrong (much too tight, with parts of the photos missing). It looks like they used the re-cropped photos from the old digipak CD reissues and re-cropped them once more, losing much of the original photos/compositions. Only "Buttons" looks right. The iconic DECCA logos are missing for legal reasons, I assume? The lenticular cover for "Majesties" was not recreated, which was probably too difficult/expensive.

Yes, the cropping is frustrating. The Rolling Stones and Aftermath were quite obvious. One would *think* that would be a non-issue.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 24, 2016 10:30

I would imagine DECCA gets no mention is quite simply that that they have nothing to do with the releases. It's all ABKCO Records with distribution by Universal.

Date: September 24, 2016 13:56

jlowe
I would imagine DECCA gets no mention is quite simply that that they have nothing to do with the releases. It's all ABKCO Records with distribution by Universal.

You are probably right.

Still it's disappointing, because the DECCA logos are an important part of the look of the early UK albums. I checked the legal situation and Universal, which distributes this new box owns the rights to the DECCA brand, so the logos could have been used. But it's probably like you say, the box is an ABKCO product, so no DECCA logos.

But the wrong cropping of the photos, the absence of the DECCA logos and the scan/print quality of the photos make the new UK LPs look like cheapo counterfeits. In fact there are recent counterfeits of the first two albums which look much better than the new versions in the new Mono Box.

From the press release about the box: "Lovingly recreated original MONO LP replica sleeves with original finishes & artwork house the albums within a rigid bespoke one-piece box."

Lovingly recreated? No.

And where is "Got Live If You Want It"? Essential to have in mono.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-24 14:34 by MrEcho.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: September 24, 2016 15:56

MrEcho,
"Got live if you want it" doesn't exist in LP Mono, exept:
In USA and maybe other countries:
USA: MONO LONDON LL3493
USA: STEREO LONDON PS 493

If you want to have a MONO DECCA Red Label " HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE" LK 4838.
Do open your wallet.
Only a few people are known to have one.
Greets,

Date: September 24, 2016 16:18

tioms
MrEcho,

If you want to have a MONO DECCA Red Label " HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE" LK 4838.
Do open your wallet.
Only a few people are known to have one.
Greets,

Yes, exactly and since it was released in mono on London in the US it should be part of the mono box (like the other London albums they included).

Date: September 24, 2016 16:54

tioms
MrEcho,

So yes, it exists in mono.

And it's worth noting that neither of the original mono and stereo mixes are currently available. The ABKCO release features a new (circa 1986) remix that's basically mono.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 24, 2016 17:42

I've seen people on FB saying that ABKCO can go fukc right off with this release.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 24, 2016 18:00

GasLightStreet
I've seen people on FB saying that ABKCO can go fukc right off with this release.

So what?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home