Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26
Re: "The Rolling Stones in Mono" - September 30 2016.
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 12, 2016 19:17

Hi whitem8. I have 3 of those clear vinyls too. Indeed beautifully done. I remain hopeful we will have the stereo versions sometime soon. Fingers crossed. Cheers!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 12, 2016 19:38

blueswithafeeling

As so often: a matter of taste. I never understood and will never understand what's so great about a mono recording. It sounds limited to me. I prefer any stereo recording a thousand times. But - as I said - it's only my opinion.

Sometimes different mixes are better than other. Sometimes it's a whole different take on a song.

The 1986 mono mix (old Abkco) of Paint It Black is more powerful than all of the rest. There's a stereo mix of Paint It Black that sucks. The narrow stereo mix of Paint It Black (2002 I think) is very good.

The original mono mix of 2,000 Light Years (NP-2) more powerful than the others. The wide stereo (London Mobile Fidelity) 2,000 Light Years is very cool - extra trippy. The DSD Remaster of 2,000 Light Years is a whole other thing and excellent! Which one is best? Ahhh...why bother. We have three great ones.

Often, it's a different take on an old friend (a song we love). Often stereo is better. It's nice to enjoy different mixes.

Date: August 12, 2016 20:06

Dan wrote:

"Stray Cats" mono box LP
1. Come On
2. I Want To Be Loved
3. I Wanna Be Your Man
4. Stoned
5. Fortune Teller
6. Poison Ivy (Version 1)
7. Bye Bye Johnny
8. Money
9. Poison Ivy (Verison 2)
10. Not Fade Away
11. I've Been Loving You Too Long
12. The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man (Single) (LONG UNEDITED VERSION? Should be....)
13. 19th Nervous Breakdown
14. Sad Day
15. Con Le Mie Lacrime (As Tears Go By)
16. Long, Long While
17. Who's Driving Your Plane?
18. We Love You (Single Version) (With FADEIN/OUT Of Dandelion?)
19. Dandelion (With FADEIN/OUT Of We Love You?)
20. Child Of The Moon
21. Jumpin' Jack Flash
22. Street Fighting Man (Single)
23. Honky Tonk Women
24. You Can't Always Get What You Want (Single)
WHY NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL mono single? on LP????

Date: August 12, 2016 20:08

So, these are new mixes. Should be interesting. There have been many mixes of these songs. I have faith in Bob Clearmountain. Looking forward to Paint It Black.

Date: August 12, 2016 20:09

exilestones
Dan wrote:

Yes, that mono Sympathy is something special. A bit different than the LP version. Very cool!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 12, 2016 20:57

The biggest thing I have noticed about mono mixes from The Beatles and other sixties groups is they sound more powerful. Far more full on guitar in the mix. And more bass. For instance The Beatles Mono collection, all from their first album up to Revolver are far superior in Mono. None of that crazy stereo separation with drums and bass on one side and guitars and voices on the other side. It is actually revelatory on how great a guitar band they were, and how great Paul was even on the early stuff. No comparison, the mono mixes are often far superior.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 12, 2016 23:56

whitem8
The biggest thing I have noticed about mono mixes from The Beatles and other sixties groups is they sound more powerful. Far more full on guitar in the mix. And more bass. For instance The Beatles Mono collection, all from their first album up to Revolver are far superior in Mono. None of that crazy stereo separation with drums and bass on one side and guitars and voices on the other side. It is actually revelatory on how great a guitar band they were, and how great Paul was even on the early stuff. No comparison, the mono mixes are often far superior.

Couldn't agree more about The Beatles In Mono boxset. Makes me excited for this Stones release.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:20

rebelrebel
whitem8

Couldn't agree more about The Beatles In Mono boxset. Makes me excited for this Stones release.

Yes. All this reminds me again that the very first time I heard most of my favorite music makers it was from a little transistor radio or a car radio, or a mono 45 single or 33 lp.
I think the very first Stones I ever heard was the US release of Time Is On My Side to radio. It was so spare, rich and solid. A real thrill.

I don't completely understand where they are taking this new box from, re: originally mixed and mastered sources. Or how they are technologically doing it.
I know some remastering projects are great and a lot somehow get you further away from the initial original punch, rather than an improvement per se...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-13 00:26 by hopkins.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:25

whitem8
I am not sure though there is consensus. It seems some sources claim it is a bonafide mono mix.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Lots of back and forth on this on the internet.

Interesting.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:53

exilestones
Dan wrote:

"Stray Cats" mono box LP
1. Come On
2. I Want To Be Loved
3. I Wanna Be Your Man
4. Stoned
5. Fortune Teller
6. Poison Ivy (Version 1)
7. Bye Bye Johnny
8. Money
9. Poison Ivy (Verison 2)
10. Not Fade Away
11. I've Been Loving You Too Long
12. The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man (Single) (LONG UNEDITED VERSION? Should be....)
13. 19th Nervous Breakdown
14. Sad Day
15. Con Le Mie Lacrime (As Tears Go By)
16. Long, Long While
17. Who's Driving Your Plane?
18. We Love You (Single Version) (With FADEIN/OUT Of Dandelion?)
19. Dandelion (With FADEIN/OUT Of We Love You?)
20. Child Of The Moon
21. Jumpin' Jack Flash
22. Street Fighting Man (Single)
23. Honky Tonk Women
24. You Can't Always Get What You Want (Single)

Sympathy in mono are the same as the mono LP version and are the only true mono mix on Beggars. The rest are folds.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 13, 2016 00:58

rebelrebel
whitem8

Yes! thumbs up

When I first heard those Beatles albums in mono it was a completely different experience. Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's sounds better in mono, imo. The same goes to Pink Floyd first album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2016 01:19

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: August 13, 2016 01:48

[img.discogs.com]

Well, I got the vinyl box set today (just kiddin' - not the upcoming "RS In Mono" release). Never seen this one before. Image is from Discogs, mine is used but in much better condition.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 13, 2016 04:33

Interesting additional informations (from AnalogPlanet) : The Rolling Stones Mono Box Set From ABKCO Coming September 30th

"Now for the details you really want to know: Bob Ludwig mastered at Gateway. I emailed Bob this afternoon. He told me he produced both 192/24 bit PCM and DSD masters (2,822,400) for project supervisor Teri Landi, who did an excellent job with the Decca era Stones LP box set cut from DSD masters.

Lacquer cutting was at Abbey Road Studios, with both Alex Wharton and Sean Magee doing the honors, all cut using DSD files. In an email Magee told me he cut "as flat as possible", adding "I love this job". Bob Ludwig added in his email "What a great way to spend a spring, a real tribute to Glyn Johns!
"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2016 18:13

rebelrebel
whitem8

ditto, or thritto to be exact. love the beatles mono box.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 13, 2016 18:22

Blueranger
If this is true, we are in for a treat. 15 discs are included. The label says "Decca".

[www.amazon.it]

Yet another disgraceful money grab! Can't wait for the next "greatest hits"!!!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 13, 2016 18:29

potus43
Blueranger
If this is true, we are in for a treat. 15 discs are included. The label says "Decca".

[www.amazon.it]

Why DECCA ???
It is surely ABKCO and/or Universal, in all territories.

Date: August 13, 2016 18:58

potus43
Blueranger

[www.amazon.it]

love to know how it's disgraceful exactly? everyone is free not to buy it. perhaps you haven't quite yet come to understand the concept of capitalism?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 13, 2016 19:15

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Very simple. No one is forcing you

Date: August 13, 2016 19:26

DrPete
If you don't want it, don't buy it. Very simple. No one is forcing you

do you know that for sure though? maybe someone is forcing him...and that would be tragic.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 14, 2016 17:42

LOL! Very tragic INDEED!

Date: August 14, 2016 19:57

not the correct thread...but the beatles mono cd box at a very good deal on amazon.ca....maybe bodes well for the RS Box coming down in price?

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 15, 2016 01:40

Do you think this will be properly remastered from original masters, like the Beatles and Dylan Mono sets? I'm tempted by it, but I don't want another ABKCO slap together job, I want a truly great sounding set that one can appreciate with the correct versions (e.g the original album version of "Tell Me" and the "Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man") of songs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 15, 2016 02:03

Did you read the article that was posted above? By Kowalski? It explains in detail what the process was and this sounds very good. Sounds like they are doing something very similar to what they did for the Exile Abbey Road pressing. This could be very very exciting. And from that article there is absolutely no mention of Let it Bleed and Beggars being fold downs. I am tending toward believing they are true mono masters.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 15, 2016 03:06

whitem8
Did you read the article that was posted above? By Kowalski? It explains in detail what the process was and this sounds very good. Sounds like they are doing something very similar to what they did for the Exile Abbey Road pressing. This could be very very exciting. And from that article there is absolutely no mention of Let it Bleed and Beggars being fold downs. I am tending toward believing they are true mono masters.

No, LIB is a fold down, and BB aside from Sympathy is as well, as those are all that exist. Those are the original releases, as are mono fold downs of the songs originally recorded at Chess which were mixed to stereo. Sympathy was given a dedicated mix because the fold down phased out the piano. They are supposedly not doing any new mixes (though that is not impossible, as with things like the single version of Under Assistant, as the original was lost and they mixed it to mono for release in the '80's). Still, they are trying to use the best possible tapes and are mastering carefully.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 15, 2016 03:17

Now "only" £336 at Amazon.co.uk

Rod

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 15, 2016 07:32

TeddyB1018
whitem8

No, LIB is a fold down, and BB aside from Sympathy is as well, as those are all that exist. Those are the original releases, as are mono fold downs of the songs originally recorded at Chess which were mixed to stereo. Sympathy was given a dedicated mix because the fold down phased out the piano. They are supposedly not doing any new mixes (though that is not impossible, as with things like the single version of Under Assistant, as the original was lost and they mixed it to mono for release in the '80's). Still, they are trying to use the best possible tapes and are mastering carefully.

I have seen mastering documents from both BB and Bleed.
With BB, it specifically mentions to take the mono Sympathy first and then take the stereo master and fold the rest. With Bleed it states to combine two signals into one. With the exception of Sympathy, BB and Bleed are folds. Facts about this has been knowledge for years. Also true regarding the Chess tracks. Folds.

Date: August 15, 2016 07:42

bitusa2012

but 249 2 weeks ago.

Date: August 15, 2016 08:47

Is the No Expectations mix on Singles Collection a very narrow stereo version or a mono fold down? Brian's slide is way down in the mix...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-15 10:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 15, 2016 09:21

treaclefingers
bitusa2012

but 249 2 weeks ago.

But £399 2 days ago.

And still £275 at Badlands

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home