Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Date: July 5, 2016 02:19

The Blues album with the Red Devils has to mentioned here. Some of his best work.
Then he did "the Great Fatsby" with L. West.
On "PP&F" with J Phillips he did "Mr Blue", "Oh Virginia", "Wilderness of Love", "Zulu Warrior", and the best one: "Shes Just 14".

I like his latter solo stuff; to me "Goddess is as good as "Wandering Spirit". And on "Alfie" he was pretty good, even though all the songs sound like the same one, LOL. I just don't know about Dave Stewart.
One day I'd love to see a session with Dave Stewart and Chuck Leavell; they'd probably cancel each other out.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 5, 2016 02:39

Brotherly : [www.youtube.com] (The DJ Blues with Chris Jagger)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 5, 2016 02:41

GasLightStreet
SHE'S THE BOSS - 2.5
PRIMITIVE COOL - 3
WANDERING SPIRIT - 5
GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY - 3.25

The great tracks are few, the good tracks are a few more. The rest... nothing compared to Keith's solo work.

SHE'S THE BOSS
Lonely At The Top - 2.25
1/2 A Loaf - 3.5
Running Out Of Luck - 3
Turn The Girl Loose - 2
Hard Woman - 2
Just Another Night - 3.5
Lucky In Love - 4.75
Secrets - 5
She's The Boss - 0

Ruthless People - 5
I'm Ringing - 3

PRIMITIVE COOL
Throwaway - 5
Let's Work - 0
Radio Control - 1
Say You Will- 3.5
Primitive Cool - 0
Kow Tow - 5
Shoot Off Your Mouth - 2.75
Peace For The Wicked - 5
Party Doll - 1.5
War Baby - 0
Catch As Catch Can - 4

WANDERING SPIRIT
Wired All Night - 5
Sweet Thing - 5
Out Of Focus - 4
Don't Tear Me Up - 5
Put Me In The Trash 4.75
Use Me 4.75
Evening Gown - 5
Mother Of A Man - 4.75
Think - 4.75
Wandering Spirit - 4.5
Hang On To Me Tonight - 5
I've Been Lonely For So Long - 4.75
Angel In My Heart - 4
Handsome Molly - 4

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY
Visions Of Paradise - 3.75
Joy - 3.5
Dancing In The Starlight - 3
God Gave Me Everything - 5
Hide Away - 3.75
Don't Call Me Up - 4.75
Goddess In The Doorway - 3
Lucky Day - 3.5
Everybody Getting High - 3
Gun - 2
Too Far Gone - 4
Brand New Set Of Rules - 4

Blue - 5

Ha! I agree with your ratings approximately 90% in general, for the Wandering Spirit and Goddess material even close to 100%...how cool is that?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2016 02:42

Dwight Yoakam/Mick Jagger --- What's Left Of Me

Co-written with Dwight but not sure if Mick performs on track ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: July 5, 2016 03:03

Wandering Spirit is Great! I just like Voodoo Lounge better!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 5, 2016 04:48

The only album by Mick Jagger that to me never liked it She's the Boss, although the film has amused me. Goddess in the Doorway has some good song, but overall not good. The rest is OK. I never understood the criticism of Primitive Cool in my opinion it was a great album (eliminating Let's Work).

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 5, 2016 08:03

kowalski
erikjjf
kowalski
erikjjf
Mick's and Dave Stewart's version of Memory Motel from the "Beyond the groove" soundtrack. Recorded in 1987, released in 1991.

All I could find about this is a movie named "Lapse of Memory" from 1992. The soundtrack seems to have Memory Motel on it but the Stones version...

Here it is:
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, I know this version from various bootlegs but was it officially released?

Only in Japan, on some obscure laser disc release.

Date: July 5, 2016 08:34

NICOS
Da Doo Ron Ron............

[www.youtube.com]

Released on The Rolling Stones - The Rest Of The Best.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 5, 2016 09:47

If Mick ever gets round to doing another solo album, he should do a cover of "Moves like Jagger'.
Out of interest, have any of Mick or Keith's solo works ever been covered? Very few, I suspect.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 5, 2016 10:15

jlowe
If Mick ever gets round to doing another solo album, he should do a cover of "Moves like Jagger'.
Out of interest, have any of Mick or Keith's solo works ever been covered? Very few, I suspect.

Mary Chapin Carpenter covered Party Doll - a great song - how can Gaslight rate this 1.5 out of 5 ?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 5, 2016 10:48

Nice effort! Isn't there "I got a disease" with the Matchbox 20 guy who co-wrote "Visions of Paradise". It's a co-write and Mick may be on a demo version.

There are so few of them that the outtakes should be mentioned too on top of the Red Devils stuff.
- Danger Up Ahead
- Gangster's Moll
Both from 1986/1987 leaked on Dime from Jeff Beck tapes where there was other stuff that was not shared unfortunately.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 5, 2016 12:17

Party Doll sure isnt a bad song, in the right hands it would be even very good. But Mick´s version is pure Kitsch, the arrangement, instrumentation and production are horrible. Damn keyboards. An example how one can ruin something good.

Pretty much the same can be said about Hard Woman. 80s-production killed it. Mick should have brought this song to the DW-sessions, in Keith´s caring hands it could have been spectacular. And Mick should have been singing it in his natural voice instead of copying someone else´s voice/style. He sounds oh so ridiculous on Hard Woman.

Old Habits Die Hard recorded by the Stones could have been a gem, a masterpiece, a classic. In general, even a very good MJ-song needs the Stones-treatment to become great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-05 12:23 by HMS.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: July 5, 2016 12:37

Elliott Murphy's "Evening gown" so great !

Date: July 5, 2016 13:17

HMS
Party Doll sure isnt a bad song, in the right hands it would be even very good. But Mick´s version is pure Kitsch, the arrangement, instrumentation and production are horrible. Damn keyboards. An example how one can ruin something good.

Pretty much the same can be said about Hard Woman. 80s-production killed it. Mick should have brought this song to the DW-sessions, in Keith´s caring hands it could have been spectacular. And Mick should have been singing it in his natural voice instead of copying someone else´s voice/style. He sounds oh so ridiculous on Hard Woman.

Old Habits Die Hard recorded by the Stones could have been a gem, a masterpiece, a classic. In general, even a very good MJ-song needs the Stones-treatment to become great.
thumbs up

Date: July 5, 2016 13:38

HMS

I agree with all of this, but I still find Hard Woman great for some reason.

I thought it was keyboards, too, on Party Doll. In fact, it is the guy from the Chieftains playing flute..

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 5, 2016 13:51

I nail in my message again: Commander's solo works, however good it is, doesn't make up for the harm it did to the Rolling Stones. The band didn't exist for half a decade due to this.
Instead of buying Primitive Cool in 1987 I would have loved to buy a fresh Rolling Stones album instead. His solo works never made up for the loss of Stones material so to speak. At least not for me.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 5, 2016 13:55

If things had been different is good.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:21

alimente
GasLightStreet
SHE'S THE BOSS - 2.5
PRIMITIVE COOL - 3
WANDERING SPIRIT - 5
GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY - 3.25

The great tracks are few, the good tracks are a few more. The rest... nothing compared to Keith's solo work.

SHE'S THE BOSS
Lonely At The Top - 2.25
1/2 A Loaf - 3.5
Running Out Of Luck - 3
Turn The Girl Loose - 2
Hard Woman - 2
Just Another Night - 3.5
Lucky In Love - 4.75
Secrets - 5
She's The Boss - 0

Ruthless People - 5
I'm Ringing - 3

PRIMITIVE COOL
Throwaway - 5
Let's Work - 0
Radio Control - 1
Say You Will- 3.5
Primitive Cool - 0
Kow Tow - 5
Shoot Off Your Mouth - 2.75
Peace For The Wicked - 5
Party Doll - 1.5
War Baby - 0
Catch As Catch Can - 4

WANDERING SPIRIT
Wired All Night - 5
Sweet Thing - 5
Out Of Focus - 4
Don't Tear Me Up - 5
Put Me In The Trash 4.75
Use Me 4.75
Evening Gown - 5
Mother Of A Man - 4.75
Think - 4.75
Wandering Spirit - 4.5
Hang On To Me Tonight - 5
I've Been Lonely For So Long - 4.75
Angel In My Heart - 4
Handsome Molly - 4

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY
Visions Of Paradise - 3.75
Joy - 3.5
Dancing In The Starlight - 3
God Gave Me Everything - 5
Hide Away - 3.75
Don't Call Me Up - 4.75
Goddess In The Doorway - 3
Lucky Day - 3.5
Everybody Getting High - 3
Gun - 2
Too Far Gone - 4
Brand New Set Of Rules - 4

Blue - 5

Ha! I agree with your ratings approximately 90% in general, for the Wandering Spirit and Goddess material even close to 100%...how cool is that?

I say you obviously understand it like I do. You know, what blows and what's solid. And even great. Also what was probably a really good or even great idea that didn't pan out but was still OK. With the GITD tunes I do recall being impressed with just a few tunes, from my ranks, the most "normal" songs (God Gave Me Everything has a bit of a nod, I'm going to guess 100% not on purpose, to Ruthless People).

I think Put Me In The Trash should've been a 5. PRIMITIVE COOL should've been an EP consisting of

Throwaway
Say You Will
Kow Tow
Peace For The Wicked
Catch As Catch Can

Running Out Of Luck and 1/2 A Loaf, although not very good, are goofy enough tunes to get a middle of the road ranking. And they're memorable... in a good way. They're both on the border of being pretty good tunes. Maybe it was the production, but then again, with ROOL that's what made it work.

Jeff Beck certainly helped with keeping the quality of the songs down. Jagger could've done better with finding someone that wouldn't have their guitar squeal half the time to the sound of a scart squirrel.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:43

DandelionPowderman
hopkins
"Memo From Turner" seriously enduring. Breathtakingly brilliant. the single version from the movie soundtrack only. Wow! This is historic.
"Evening Gown" is a crowning achievement deserving endless praise. I love the writing and vocals. I'd say truly great. Lovely and amazing.

Now let's hear this new Stones album asap!

+1

Although I like both versions of Memo From Turner (the rocking Stones-version as well).

+2

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-05 17:51 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: July 5, 2016 20:05

DandelionPowderman
HMS

I thought it was keyboards, too, on Party Doll. In fact, it is the guy from the Chieftains playing flute..

So you thought the flute was keyboards? - wow - how is that possible ? If it had been keyboards I could understand the Kitsch comment, but the flute part is just great and the opposite of Kitsch. And yes, Hard Woman is pretty great too.

Date: July 5, 2016 22:21

walkingthedog
DandelionPowderman
HMS

So you thought the flute was keyboards? - wow - how is that possible ? If it had been keyboards I could understand the Kitsch comment, but the flute part is just great and the opposite of Kitsch. And yes, Hard Woman is pretty great too.

I heard the live version first, and couldn't get that kitchy keyboards out of my mind...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 5, 2016 23:33

I know its Paddy Moloney, but to me it still does sound like a synthie emulating bagpipes.

Date: July 6, 2016 02:18

HMS
I know its Paddy Moloney, but to me it still does sound like a synthie emulating bagpipes.

It's the sound of the 80's ...

Would his first two solo efforts have been released either in the 70's or in the 90's, they would have sounded better.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 6, 2016 03:53

In case not mentioned, don't forget about the Hard Women, video mix version!

Date: July 7, 2016 03:04

Updated with the 60's guest vocals (Andrew Oldham Orchestra, demo's for other artists...) among other things.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2016 03:15

will.i.am - T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 7, 2016 06:42

Recording "Dancing in the Street": Mick Jagger, Kevin Armstrong and David Bowie

More: [www.iorr.org]

Date: July 7, 2016 06:56

exilestones

Recording "Dancing in the Street": Mick Jagger, Kevin Armstrong and David Bowie

More: [www.iorr.org]

video: [www.youtube.com] -> best version

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 7, 2016 19:18

kowalski
video: [www.youtube.com] -> best version
Very enjoyable video. I remember at Live Aid when the Dancing in the Street video was played at Live Aid. I thought it was cool but want to see Mick and David together. Glad it happened!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home