Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 24, 2017 08:14

Hairball
Can't think of any diamonds in the rough throughout Mick's entire solo catalogue.
Perhaps there's tiny glimmers of hope, but even they fall short of the mark.

And then there's "Blue", the best track since "Tattoo You", Stones and solo. Unfortunately hidden on a Goddess single b-side.

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 24, 2017 12:59

retired_dog
And then there's "Blue", the best track since "Tattoo You", Stones and solo. Unfortunately hidden on a Goddess single b-side.

I feel the need to disagree. Although a rather good song (compared to the other stuff from GITD) it is ruined by "modern" production. Blue sounds like the Blues but it´s the Blues being raped by Mick this time. It is overproduced in the most awful way. The song is ok (7/10), it´s the production that sucks.

"Best track since TY, Stones and solo?" Never, there´s plenty of better songs, imo.

Date: March 24, 2017 13:58

It's not a blues tune at all. It's good, but nothing extraordinary, imo. I'd rather listen to Tie You Up 50 times in a row winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:01

It has a lot of Blues-feeling, imo. And a great Blues-harp too. Unfortunately it gets too bloated and theatrical after the first three minutes. Anyway it is indeed the best Goddess-track along with God Gave Me Everything. When I first heard Blue it even gave me goosebumps. But the more you hear it the more it loses its impact.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2017 15:27

retired_dog
Hairball
Can't think of any diamonds in the rough throughout Mick's entire solo catalogue.

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

i've never heard the tattoo you track...what album is it on?!

Date: March 24, 2017 15:30

HMS
It has a lot of Blues-feeling, imo. And a great Blues-harp too. Unfortunately it gets too bloated and theatrical after the first three minutes. Anyway it is indeed the best Goddess-track along with God Gave Me Everything. When I first heard Blue it even gave me goosebumps. But the more you hear it the more it loses its impact.

It's a pop tune with slide and a harmonica, true. And it has a (trustworthy/untrustworthy - pick the one you like) sadness to it.

But it's not a blues song.

Date: March 24, 2017 15:47

DandelionPowderman
HMS

It's a pop tune with slide and a harmonica, true. And it has a (trustworthy/untrustworthy - pick the one you like) sadness to it.

That's part of the genius here. "Blue" escapes easy classification. It has blues, country and gospel elements. Sort of "Exile" in a nutshell.

I stand by my words, I never heard a more interesting track from them (band/solo) since "Tattoo You". OK, maybe "Continental Drift". But had Mick saved this one for "A Bigger Bang" it would have been hailed as a masterpiece with some Keith touches here and there.

Date: March 24, 2017 16:15

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HMS

That's part of the genius here. "Blue" escapes easy classification. It has blues, country and gospel elements. Sort of "Exile" in a nutshell.

I stand by my words, I never heard a more interesting track from them (band/solo) since "Tattoo You". OK, maybe "Continental Drift". But had Mick saved this one for "A Bigger Bang" it would have been hailed as a masterpiece with some Keith touches here and there.

It's a good song indeed. Post TY from their solo canons, I find songs like Make No Mistake, I Gotta See, Hate It When You Leave, Evening Gown and Wandering Spirit more interesting, though.

Good call on Continental Drift. I'd add Terrifying and How Can I Stop as well.

Date: March 25, 2017 03:46

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
HMS

It's a good song indeed. Post TY from their solo canons, I find songs like Make No Mistake, I Gotta See, Hate It When You Leave, Evening Gown and Wandering Spirit more interesting, though.

Good call on Continental Drift. I'd add Terrifying and How Can I Stop as well.

Great songs in your list, indeed. But with "interesting", I meant the surprising changes in the tune, its unpredictablity - one can not imagine from the first notes how the song would continue and end. It's like various song sketches thrown together to create a single song - which works surprisingly well here. Maybe Mick was inspired by the Beatles "A Day In The Life" at the time to try this technique! You just don't get that very often from the Stones camp!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2017 05:28

I also have never heard of a Rolling Stones song called "Tattoo You".

Date: March 25, 2017 10:19

treaclefingers
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

I think it is punctuation that throws you off; the comma. Looks like R. Dog was saying something about Tattoo You-era Stones.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 25, 2017 20:58

All this discussion shows that there is a need for (not only) Mick to have another possibility as an output of his creativity. If you listen to Mick's and Keith's solos I hear more differences to a Rolling Stones record than things they share. And that's THE argument for a solo career besides the Stones!!!

Date: March 25, 2017 21:24

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

I think it is punctuation that throws you off; the comma. Looks like R. Dog was saying something about Tattoo You-era Stones.

No, I was talking about the song "Tattoo You", an unreleased outtake that's only circulating amongst high-profile collectors...

I'm joking here. Of course you are right! I thought it was obvious what I meant.

Date: March 25, 2017 22:08

HMS

Blue and Lonesome could definitely use it if that song was produced in the same way. At least something happens.

Date: March 25, 2017 22:23

JJHMick
All this discussion shows that there is a need for (not only) Mick to have another possibility as an output of his creativity. If you listen to Mick's and Keith's solos I hear more differences to a Rolling Stones record than things they share. And that's THE argument for a solo career besides the Stones!!!

At least my ears hear a lot of songs that would have graced any Stones album since Undercover and could have turned them into, well, simply better albums.

But I also hear subpar stuff on both Mick's and Keith's solo albums (with the exception of Talk Is Cheap and Wandering Spirit that both maintain a high level almost throughout) that makes me wonder why they bothered at all to record it.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 26, 2017 00:14

retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

No the song is only average/

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:15

stanlove
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

I'd go a step further and say it's below average.
Sounds like a cross between some of the newfangled junky 'country' that permeates the country charts and a forgotten Black Crowes throwaway.

Date: March 26, 2017 06:12

Hairball
stanlove
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

Sounds like a cross between some of the newfangled junky 'country' that permeates the country charts and a forgotten Black Crowes throwaway.

Aaaah, the usual "it can't be good because it's from Mick" bullshit.

I sincerely hope that with your high standarts you'll find something enjoyable like, let's say "Infamy", on the next Stones album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2017 06:19

retired_dog
Hairball
stanlove
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

I sincerely hope that with your high standarts you'll find something enjoyable like, let's say "Infamy", on the next Stones album.

Have you heard Mick's unreleased album with the Red Devils?
Now that's good! thumbs up

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 26, 2017 07:03

Yeah I have The unreleased Red Devil stuff with Mick, Love It!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 26, 2017 07:27

evening gown one of the best songs ever in life imo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-31 05:27 by hopkins.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 26, 2017 14:35

The single tracks 'Memo From Turner" and 'Too Many Cooks" were excellent, as were his guest appearances on Peter Wolf's albums--His work on the Chieftains album was also good , and on "You're so Vain". His contributions to Ron Woods solo stuff was also spot on.
As far a whole albums go, the only one I really like was "Wandering Spirit"-
the rest I could do without.

I like his work outside the Stones more as a one-off contributor rather than as a full fledged solo outing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2017 16:06

Hairball
stanlove
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

Blue is one of Jagger's better solo songs. It's only people that like bad music that think it stinks.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 26, 2017 17:24

retired_dog
JJHMick

At least my ears hear a lot of songs that would have graced any Stones album since Undercover and could have turned them into, well, simply better albums.

But I also hear subpar stuff on both Mick's and Keith's solo albums (with the exception of Talk Is Cheap and Wandering Spirit that both maintain a high level almost throughout) that makes me wonder why they bothered at all to record it.

I actually do agree with you and would have preferred some of his stuff in a Stones arrangement. But a solo release gives way to different, maybe to be called more 'modern' sounds, different instrumentation and other styles. That is why I think that f.e. Super Heavy was great. (I don't know if you accept that as a proof but about half a dozen friends and colleagues at work who never bothered about the Stones have bought the record and started discovering the Stones from that record!).
In general, I don't think it would have hurt the band if Mick and Keith would have released solo material regularly and thus keeping the band also in the headlines.
Especially on Wandering Spirit there are some real hard rockers that would have fit Deep Purple or the like but are better kept on a solo album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-26 17:25 by JJHMick.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2017 03:40

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
retired_dog
Hairball

Read more here:

[www.iorr.org]

damn need for punctuation i think that there should be a world without punctuation what do you think i think that would be a great idea and that way the misuse of punctuation would never lead to these misunderstandings if you get what i mean right thought so

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 31, 2017 04:00

Wandering Spirit is great. What's the problem!!!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 31, 2017 04:38

mtaylor

Agreed.

I think he wanted to prove that at 50 he still had it.

And he did.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 31, 2017 05:08

loog droog
mtaylor

Agreed.

I think he wanted to prove that at 50 he still had it.

And he did.
And his concert in NY in 93 was great as well.
More down to earth and focus on singing. He had good musicians around him, Jimmy Rip for example...

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: March 31, 2017 08:06

retired_dog

‘Blue’ starts off impressively, which is to say it sounds very Stonesy, but you know you’re listening to a Mick solo tune the moment he slips into that affectedly hurt and whiny voice a minute and a half or so in: ‘And I never know where to draw the line...’ And yeah, a song can't be good when he does that. But nobody said or implied that Mick is incapable of writing decent songs. You shouldn't be parroting the thoughts of others at any time - it's weak and lame, dog - but especially when you're quoting a strawman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 31, 2017 11:47

mtaylor

There are good songs on it, but the sound, especially of the guitars and especially on the "rock" songs, is too slick, the 80's and 90s were full of this "loud guitar-solos" by some long-haired fool and they follow the same predictable pattern using the same effects. But the worst part is his voice doing too much of that fake emotional thing which he started to do somewhere in the 80s. I never really understood why he started doing that, given how good is voice, timing and intonation had been in the decades before. All of this makes Wandering Spirit unlistenable to me.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home