Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2016 22:31

Waiting for Neil to seal the deal.

Where's his 'October' video? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 3, 2016 03:18

Neil Young's FB just added October!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2016 03:29

tatters
sdstonesguy
There is no way each act is demanding $7M for this. Dylan NEVER makes that kind of money while say the Stones can. An even split doesn't make any sense unless there is some sort of friends agreement between the talent...and I REALLY doubt anyone shakes hands to cut out a few million for their own mates.

Dylan can't even fill a good-sized theater anymore. I'd be surprised if his fee for a typical show is more than $100,000.

Really? I just saw him at the Hollywood Bowl a couple summers back. It was packed.

Date: May 3, 2016 03:31

At my age I'm not going to go stand in the dessert to see Jesus. I pay the money, I sit down and YOU entertain me. This would make for a great DVD-Blu Ray, in my front room, air conditioning blasting, accessories on hand.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 3, 2016 04:23

24FPS
At my age I'm not going to go stand in the dessert to see Jesus. I pay the money, I sit down and YOU entertain me. This would make for a great DVD-Blu Ray, in my front room, air conditioning blasting, accessories on hand.

This is great!

Date: May 3, 2016 04:52

Pricing Tickets for a Classic-Rock Megashow
Calculating ticket prices for a possible October megashow is a fraught, complex science
By Neil Shah
April 28, 2016 3:34 p.m. ET

Megashow

How much will fans pay to see the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney and three other classic-rock giants at one festival?

The three-night megashow, also featuring the Who, Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters and Neil Young, would be the first time the six acts have shared a bill. Goldenvoice, part of concert-promotion giant AEG Live, is planning the show for Oct. 7-9 at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, Calif. For more than 15 years, the venue has been home to the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which caters to a younger audience with acts such as Calvin Harris, Drake and M83.

The October festival, informally known as “Coachella for baby boomers,” isn’t a done deal. Negotiations with some artists were continuing last week, according to someone familiar with the matter. But the Who is definitely involved and the other acts are expected to confirm soon.

Demand among aging, affluent fans is expected to be high. According to bookings.com, 90% of Indio’s hotel rooms are reserved between Oct. 6 and 9.

Pricing tickets for a special event is a fraught, complex science. Hit the sweet spot and promoters stand to make millions of dollars. But miscalculating how much Boomers will pay to see historic acts of the 1960s and 1970s could mean dismal results or even losses. Artists such as the Stones and Paul McCartney don’t come cheap—and there are half-a-dozen acts, putting Goldenvoice at risk if fans don’t come. Another wild card is whether older followers are up for hanging out for three days in the dusty Southern California desert.

The Stones are arguably Goldenvoice’s biggest get. The average ticket price for the 54-year-old group, which had the 10th highest-grossing tour world-wide last year with just 14 shows, is roughly $175, according to Pollstar, a concert-industry publication. Paul McCartney is in the same ballpark, at $155. Tickets for last year’s Grateful Dead “Fare Thee Well” shows were $145 on average. By contrast, tickets for AC/DC, which topped the Coachella lineup last year, were $78 on average. Steely Dan, another Coachella 2015 headliner, fetched $105.

There appears to be an estimated 50% premium for classic-rock acts over Coachella headliners. If the just-completed Coachella charged $400 for a three-day general admission pass, “Coachella for Boomers” could ask $600 and up.

Larry Miller, who heads the music-business program at New York University’s Steinhardt School, says it could be higher. Mr. Miller estimates Goldenvoice will pay a hefty $15 million to $18 million for its six acts. Producing the show would add another $10 million. All told, the company could require roughly $32 million to $35 million in ticket sales (not including income from merchandise, food and parking) to make a nice profit.

A big factor, given that many fans will be older, is how many tickets promoters decide to sell. Coachella’s capacity is nearly 100,000, but that’s across six stages active for much of the day and night. October’s classic-rock event will have two acts a day, one after the other, according to the Los Angeles Times, which reported the story earlier.

The audience for the October concert likely includes the parents of many Coachella-goers. Those fans probably wouldn’t want to be part of a crowd of 100,000, with protracted waits to enter and exit. An outdoor show of 40,000 makes more sense, Mr. Miller says. To hit $32 million to $35 million in revenue with 40,000 tickets, a weekend ticket would cost around $950, he estimates, without considering factors such as VIP packages. Individual-day tickets could be $385. The tickets could attract higher amounts on reselling sites.

A lot depends on “framing” the pitch, says Pascal Courty, an economist at the University of Victoria, in British Columbia, who studies concert ticketing. Close to $1,000 for a weekend event and nearly $400 for a single day are big figures, but organizers “could get away with it [if] they can frame the value proposition in a way that makes the comparison with regular concerts difficult,” Professor Courty says. One way to justify higher prices, he says, is to make the event about more than music. There could be fine wine and food as well as art installations. Coachella this year featured Ferris-wheel rides, foodie fare such as sweet-potato tacos, a vinyl-record store and an installation by Cuban artist Alexandre Arrechea.

Fans already shell out big bucks for “legacy” acts such as the Stones. AC/DC raked in $180 million in revenue last year, making them the third-highest-grossing act, after One Direction and Taylor Swift. Coachella has been hosting more classic-rock acts, including Mr. McCartney and AC/DC. Guns N’ Roses stepped in this year, perhaps a sign of a shortage of younger headliners.

Some Boomers could be put off by lofty ticket prices and sky-high VIP packages. One solution would be an affordable option, such as a one-day pass that doesn’t cost much more than seeing a couple of these acts in concert, ticketing experts say.

Slavko Franca, a Rolling Stones superfan in his 60s, plans to fly to Indio in October from his home in Slovenia. He is betting on prices of more than $100 for a day pass—but he’d probably pay more.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 3, 2016 05:01

24FPS
tatters
sdstonesguy
There is no way each act is demanding $7M for this. Dylan NEVER makes that kind of money while say the Stones can. An even split doesn't make any sense unless there is some sort of friends agreement between the talent...and I REALLY doubt anyone shakes hands to cut out a few million for their own mates.

Dylan can't even fill a good-sized theater anymore. I'd be surprised if his fee for a typical show is more than $100,000.

Really? I just saw him at the Hollywood Bowl a couple summers back. It was packed.

Guess it depends on the venue. There's still 2,000 tickets available for his show in Toledo next month .... and the place only seats 4,000. Last time I saw him (Cobo Arena, 2001) I bought the cheap seats in the upper bowl, and the place was so empty they actually closed off the upper bowl and made us move down to the more expensive seats! grinning smiley

Come to think of it, even when he played here with Joni Mitchell in '98, the arena was only half full, and that was a fantastic show. I had front row, and only paid $45, which was really cheap, even back then.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 15:52 by tatters.

Date: May 3, 2016 06:04

Paul McCartney just added a tour date in Sacramento for October 4th, so he'll be in the 'neighborhood' for that week.
Maybe the Stones will also slip in a California show within the same week? smiling smiley

Date: May 3, 2016 06:11

tatters
24FPS
tatters
sdstonesguy

Guess it depends on the venue. There's still 2,000 tickets available for his show in Toledo next month .... and the place only seats 4,000. Last time I saw him (Cobo Arena, 2001) I bought the cheap seats in the upper bowl, and the place was so empty they actually closed off the upper bowl and made us sit in the more expensive seats! grinning smiley

Come to think of it, even when he played here with Joni Mitchell in '98, the arena was only half full, and that was a fantastic show. I had front row, and only paid $45, which was really cheap, even back then.

Maybe the demand for Dylan is bigger in California. I saw him at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in '98 with Joni and Van Morrison. The place was packed.

Date: May 3, 2016 06:12

This concert sounds great as a Pay Per View event. Otherwise it sounds like a way to gouge boomers.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 3, 2016 06:47

I'm hoping the Stones will play L.A. or Vegas, then I won't have to go to Coachella. I've seen the Who, Macca and Neil Young recently, so I'm good with that.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:07

#DesertTrip

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:09

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:22

24FPS
This concert sounds great as a Pay Per View event. Otherwise it sounds like a way to gouge boomers.

Why would anyone pay for a pay per view. You can go right to youtube and watch numerous recent concerts by all of these artists. Or actually watch concerts by them when they were in their primes. All of these artists are way past their best. It would be kind of sad. And if they all get together for a grotesque butchered sing-along ( always putrid ) of Blowing in The Wind at the end I might puke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 17:26 by stanlove.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:23

Tickets on sale 9th May - according to tweet from bobdylan.com

all 6 bands as expected.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:24

Friday - Dylan and Stones

Saturday - McCartney and Young

Sunday - Who and Waters

Date: May 3, 2016 17:25

Amazing!

thecitadel
Tickets on sale 9th May - according to tweet from bobdylan.com

all 6 bands as expected.

All info. here:

Prices, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 17:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:55

far to expensive - given the fact that this is in the middle of nowhere and that you'll have to buy anything (water etc) inside the venue (and hotels are very expensive, too)

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:14

oooh $99 for the pleasure of sleeping in the back seat of my own car!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 19:15 by mnewman505.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:23

What really sucks is that they seem to only be selling three day passes for the front of stage pit at $1600. I want to see the Stones up close but don't care how close I am for the others. Do I really want to pay $1600 for that pleasure when I could save it for the arena shows. Oh shit I don't know what to do.

Anyone want to buy my pit pass for Saturday and Sunday???????

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:49

sarahunwin
What really sucks is that they seem to only be selling three day passes for the front of stage pit at $1600. I want to see the Stones up close but don't care how close I am for the others. Do I really want to pay $1600 for that pleasure when I could save it for the arena shows. Oh shit I don't know what to do.

My advice is to save your money. If the Stones are commiting to this show i'd be shocked if they don't do other live shows in North America during the fall. Seriously the Stones rarely start the machine up for just one performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 19:50 by mnewman505.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:52

I know I am sure they will be touring north America. Wish we would have the tour schedule prior to the festival going on sale!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:11

has anybody read the CODE OF CONDUCT?

"Desert Trip is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and memorable experience for our guests. In order to provide an environment where all attendees can enjoy the show, we have instituted a Desert Trip Code of Conduct.

The following actions can result in a warning or ejection:

Irresponsible use of alcohol.
Public nudity or obscene clothing.
Accessing restricted areas without proper passes.
Taunting, abusive or disruptive language and obscene or offensive gestures, imagery or symbolism.
The following actions will result in immediate ejection:

Urinating in public (anywhere other than a proper restroom).
Fighting or engaging in any action that may harm, endanger, threaten or bring discomfort to anyone.
Engaging in sexual behavior in public.
Possession, use or sale of any illegal drugs.
Damage, destruction, vandalism or theft of any property.
If an individual participating in this behavior is uncooperative or a persistent offender, they will be removed from the venue site and their show wristband will be revoked. In certain situations, the offender may be arrested."

is this really the right place for the Stones to perform?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:17

"Lineup subject to change"

Wonder who the understudies are?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:20

I did read the code of conduct, slewan, and have to say that certain bits of it immediately and irrevocably
brought all kinds of inappropriate behaviour to mind that seems to be okay according to that wording

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:39

Hairball
Paul McCartney just added a tour date in Sacramento for October 4th, so he'll be in the 'neighborhood' for that week.
Maybe the Stones will also slip in a California show within the same week? smiling smiley

*Hey I'm going to try and get 2 tix for this show! Never seen Paul, the Legend, I'm an old school sappy Wings fan, lol.
But Amex pre sale this a.m. out of our current league- going to try Friday a.m. when the general sale opens. Brand new arena!
ETA: for this Paul McCartney show pre sale, I can only pull tickets that cost
$1,600 a piece.
Good seats, but too steep $$$$

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 00:27 by 35love.

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:13

Well, I'm committed now.
Reserved the largest RV spot in Lake Cahuilla Campground 6 miles away (price jumped from last week, still had a smaller lakefront lot available),and a JUCY mini RV $42 a day.
The ticket button is now on the stones website redirecting to the deserttrip website.
AXS handle ticketing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 00:16 by 1badgator.

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:25

Any ticket pre sale as far as anyone knows?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:35

mnewman505
sarahunwin

My advice is to save your money. If the Stones are commiting to this show i'd be shocked if they don't do other live shows in North America during the fall. Seriously the Stones rarely start the machine up for just one performance.

Well, they only did 4 Stateside gigs in December 21012. Two at the same venue.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:39

Yeah, this isn't a rumor. Here's the ticket sale site and the site with all the info:

http://home.deserttrip.com/

http://www.goldenvoice.com/#/event/310173

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home