Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:44

roller99

Yeah, this isn't a rumor.

Now official: [www.rollingstones.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 00:45 by Irix.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:26

NEW DEAL: 4 nights Hyatt Palm Springs $715.00!! On their website: $1754.00!!

October 6 - 10

Last Deal (previous post) is gone. Don't wait until the hotel takes back inventory from wholesaler! Send email with your telephone number.

Dreamtime Travel & Tours

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:39

Stones might do a Sinatra set with Mr Zimmeeee ...

ROCKMAN

Desert Trip - October 7
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:42

Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and more: Rock icons coming to Coachella Valley this fall

The Rolling Stones perform in Havana in March. The group will play the first night of the fall rock concert in Indio. (Miami Herald)

By Randy Lewis
May 3, 2016

It’s official: Six acts with a claim to be on the Mt. Rushmore of rock music will perform for the first time on the same stage over three nights in October in the Coachella Valley.

Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, the Who, Neil Young and Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters are confirmed for the Oct. 7-9 event at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, the annual site of the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals. Tickets will range from $199 to $1,599, according to concert promoter Goldenvoice.

Music industry veterans say the lineup places it high on the list of all-time greatest concerts.

“I can’t think of a concert as big as this one,” said Jim Guerinot, a talent agent and former promoter. “Neil Young opening for Paul McCartney — are you kidding me? ... I think it’s a stupendous achievement.”

A conceptual rendering of the stage and seating setup for the October concert.

Popular interest in the concert has been strong since The Times reported details April 15, and Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett said he has been inundated with suggestions that the concert should include artists such as Led Zeppelin and Bruce Springsteen.

Tollett said his aim was to include artists who helped shape rock music but were still touring, writing and recording new material.

“This is about artists who are still creating, who are still relevant,” he said.

“I’ve been known for doing reunions from time to time,” he added, noting that Coachella has featured the reunions of bands such as Guns N’ Roses, OutKast, LCD Soundsystem and Rage Against the Machine. “I didn’t want this to be rare. I wanted it to be significant.”

In deference to what is expected to be an older audience, Goldenvoice will offer seating in grandstands and on the ground — unlike the Coachella Music and Arts Festival, where the crowd either stands or sits on the grass.

Tickets, which go on sale Monday, will start at $199 for single-day general admission passes, and top out at $1,599 for reserved seats for all three days. The $1,599 ticket price also will apply to admission to a standing-room pit immediately in front of the stage. General admission three-day passes will sell for $399.

Plans also call for roughly two dozen high-end suites for large groups — akin to luxury boxes — that will be placed atop the grandstands. Tollett didn’t specify the pricing for those.

“We still don’t know what the audience is going to be,” Tollett said. “One reason I decided to have some single-day tickets available, unlike Coachella and Stagecoach, is that I didn’t want somebody to feel excluded if they couldn’t afford to come for the whole weekend.”

Goldenvoice, a unit of AEG, plans to cap ticket sales at about the same level the company has done for Stagecoach in recent years, at 70,000 to 75,000 per day. Coachella has held attendance in recent years at 99,000 per day for six days since Goldenvoice cloned it over two weekends in 2012.

Unlike Coachella and Stagecoach, the October event is not being treated as a festival because it features just two acts per day, each playing full sets. Performers will take the stage after sundown, with their full concert productions, rather than abbreviated performances typical of multi-act festivals.

Dylan and the Stones will be paired to open the event Oct. 7, Young will precede McCartney on Oct. 8 and the Who and Roger Waters will close the weekend on Oct. 9.

Tollett said the three-day show will not be given a name, a la Coachella and Stagecoach, because “We are not trying to brand anything. This is happening one time, and that’s it.”

Also distinguishing the October event from festivals in general, the performers will use a single stage, which will be erected in the northeast quadrant of the grounds at the Empire Polo Field.

The impossible-dream aspect of pulling together a half-dozen of the most influential artists in rock history on a single bill “was part of the appeal,” Tollett said during an interview in his trailer backstage at Stagecoach. He said the event has been in the works for about 10 months.

“I spent probably two months just thinking about which six acts,” he said. “I think these six are pretty special.”

Tollett said another motivation behind the October concert that’s different from Coachella is “I thought it would be fun to do a very focused rock ’n’ roll show. At Coachella and so many of our events, we have a wide variety from indie rock to pop to hip-hop to EDM. I wanted to focus this on guitar, bass and drums rock ’n’ roll.”

The seed for that focused approach may have been planted five years ago when Goldenvoice marked the company’s 30th anniversary promoting shows with a three-night event that culled many of the punk bands promoted by Goldenvoice founder Gary Tovar when he launched the company in 1981.

Because the October show is expected to draw baby boomer music fans in significant numbers, Goldenvoice is instituting several amenities including an expanded menu of pop-up restaurants in addition to the food and beverage booths typically in operation at Coachella and Stagecoach.

Tollett said about one-third of the capacity will be allotted to reserved seating — with prices tiered at $699, $999 and $1,599 — with the rest allotted for open areas for those who purchase general admission tickets.

Goldenvoice has launched a website containing event information at www.deserttrip.com.

Hotels in the region already are being booked quickly. Travelocity and Expedia websites note that both are 85% booked for the Oct. 7-9 weekend, although that might not necessarily mean those are all taken by people hopeful of buying tickets to the October concerts. RV and tent camping will be available.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if they are filling up now,” said Joshua Bonner, president and chief executive of the Indio Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau. “I’ll be honest, I don’t know if that’s a reflection of inventory booking, or whether it’s the hotels holding back inventory from the discount sites until the tickets are announced and sold. If it is, that’s fantastic.”

Bonner, who said he usually rents his desert home out during Coachella and Stagecoach weekends, said, “I had six college students from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo staying at my house this weekend [during Stagecoach]. They were all 22- and 23-year-olds, and every single one of them said they want to go to this October concert.”

“Because of Coachella and Stagecoach and all these different festivals [that expose concertgoers to a wide variety of performers], this young generation is very knowledgeable about music, more so than in the past,” Bonner said. “I was surprised at their level of enthusiasm. When we were talking about it, they started texting their friends, saying, ‘Oh, my God, we have to go see the Rolling Stones.’

“I cut my teeth in marketing,” Bonner said, “and what we’re learning about millennials is that despite the tendency to want to pigeonhole them by saying, ‘They just like festivals,’ what they really want and what really drives them is they want experiences. They want to experience things. So if you throw a bunch of old bands together, even if they haven’t heard of them, if they know it’s a once-in-a-lifetime situation, they will go for the experience.”

The combination of the global appeal of all six acts and the one-off aspect of the concert has moved Tollett to place ads for the shows in publications not only across North America but in Europe, South America and Asia as well.

“This is the last time,” said an associate of one of the performers, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak about the event. “I can’t imagine this ever happening again. Kudos to Paul for pulling it off.”

[www.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 02:35 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 4, 2016 01:42

spikenyc
[www.brooklynvegan.com]

Thanks, spike.
Hearing those 6 excerpts is really quite powerful, some more than others, of course. Exciting.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 4, 2016 02:23

Too bad they couldn't add more acts. I wish Led Zeppelin was involved.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 4, 2016 02:58

The Sicilian

Agree..
Also would have been nice to have a little diversity.

Stevie Wonder or Diana Ross or Santana or..
Several big names to draw from to keep it from being labeled a Coachella for/of old white guys.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 4, 2016 03:28

The Sicilian

I do too, but even if they had been approached I can imagine Robert Plant rolling his eyes and scoffing at the thought of resurrecting Led Zeppelin for a nostalgia festival.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 04:05

I saw a short set with Neil + Promise of the Real last summer at Farm Aid, they are smoking. Great band!

Here's a 35 minute "Down by The River" from last weekend, damn....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 4, 2016 06:07

likecats
The Sicilian

I do too, but even if they had been approached I can imagine Robert Plant rolling his eyes and scoffing at the thought of resurrecting Led Zeppelin for a nostalgia festival.

This is a lot heavier than a nostalgia festival. This isn't the Turtles and Paul Revere and the Raiders. People will be laying out some serious cash for tickets and accommodations.

I've actually wondered if it is an insult for some groups NOT to be invited. AC/DC, U2, The Dead & Company, Eric Clapton, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Santana, Jethro Tull, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...

Date: May 4, 2016 06:11

Why did this topic get removed from the sticky slot?

Date: May 4, 2016 06:23

mnewman505
I saw a short set with Neil + Promise of the Real last summer at Farm Aid, they are smoking. Great band!

Here's a 35 minute "Down by The River" from last weekend, damn....

[www.youtube.com]

His band looks like a bunch of twenty something year olds. Too bad Crosby, Stills and Nash could not have played with Neil.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: May 4, 2016 06:44

The Sicilian
likecats
The Sicilian

This is a lot heavier than a nostalgia festival. This isn't the Turtles and Paul Revere and the Raiders. People will be laying out some serious cash for tickets and accommodations.

I've actually wondered if it is an insult for some groups NOT to be invited. AC/DC, U2, The Dead & Company, Eric Clapton, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Santana, Jethro Tull, Creedence Clearwater Revival, etc...

I guess calling it a nostalgia festival sounds a bit harsh and I didn't mean to sound that way. I'm actually very excited for this.
It seems to me that Robert Plant has been resistant to Led Zeppelin reunions because he doesn't want to re-hash past glories, and I've heard him get prickly in interviews when the inevitable LZ reunion question comes up. I could picture him seeing these shows as a celebration of the past, not the present, and therefore not being interested. Just my speculation. It's fun for me, anyway, to wonder about who else the organizers would try to get if they were going to expand the line-up.

I think I recall hearing that the Grateful Dead were a bit annoyed after they offered to play at Live-Aid and were turned down. Roger Waters was also denied.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 06:52

The Sicilian
likecats
The Sicilian

Maybe they can have a festival every weekend. I am sure some of these are on retainer in case any other act drops off.

Any band going on before 7pm is going to be playing for a sea of empty seats and get the opening act treatment anyway. Might still happen for the first band at these shows.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2016 07:37

Please. It's the greatest gathering of nostalgia acts in one place. It's a State Fair concert on steroids. Hits? You got 'em delivered at 3/4 speed, except for McCartney who uses younger musicians.

"This is about artists who are still creating." Since when? And those yuppies who are going to pay through the nose aren't going to want to hear a side of songs off the Who's new LP. Even the Stones at best will have two new songs, one for Mick and one for Keith.

This is a chance to wave goodbye to these acts, and pay dearly for the privilege. Maybe it will be a DVD with all the acts. That's the only way I'll ever see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 09:53 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:31

I'm still amazed how they were able to get all these acts on the same bill.
Of course there's alot of money in it for them, but logistically speaking (not to mention all the egos involved), it's quite a feat imo.

On another note, the fact that they've created a 'mini stadium' rather than a standing only endless desert field spanning the horizon makes it rather desirable. And if you divide each of these acts into cost per ticket (any category), it seems reasonably priced considering what they all normally cost these days (except Dylan ...and maybe the Who?). Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it all in my mind.... smiling smiley

As for the thought that this entire experience will translate to a DVD while sitting at home watching on a screen, I don't think so.
No DVD has ever captured the experience of any live show...unless you're a couch potato who doesn't attend concerts.

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:52

Stones, Macca and possibly others on the bill are already slated to play smallish "warm-up" gigs in the Los Angeles area prior to the Indio shows.
BV is doubtless aware of same.

And yes - the "OldChella" shows are to be professionally filmed for eventual DVD / BD Release.

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:55

Led WHO????

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:02

Hairball
Of course there's alot of money in it for them, but logistically speaking (not to mention all the egos involved), it's quite a feat imo.

On another note, the fact that they've created a 'mini stadium' rather than a standing only endless desert field spanning the horizon makes it rather desirable. And if you divide each of these acts into cost per ticket (any category), it seems reasonably priced considering what they all normally cost these days (except Dylan ...and maybe the Who?). Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it all in my mind.... smiling smiley

As for the thought that this entire experience will translate to a DVD while sitting at home watching on a screen, I don't think so.
No DVD has ever captured the experience of any live show...unless you're a couch potato who doesn't attend concerts.

Absolutely agree! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:54

Why do the posters say "Bob Dylan and his band"....but for the others eg Macca, Waters, its just themselves.
Or is Paulie doing a solo with no back up?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:59

Hairball

I attend concerts. Next up is Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl with a full orchestra. I'll have a nice seat, nice sound system, and I can take my own food and drink into the facility. And it will be financially doable. I won't have to drive from L.A. out to the middle of dusty nowhere. (I've driven out there before). I'll probably never see the Stones again. There's nothing new to hear. In fact I've pretty much given up on seeing any of the acts performing that weekend again. It doesn't mean I'll stop going to concerts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2016 10:12

24FPS
Hairball

No DVD has ever captured the experience of any live show...unless you're a couch potato .

I attend concerts. Next up is Steely Dan at the Hollywood Bowl with a full orchestra. I'll have a nice seat, nice sound system, and I can take my own food and drink into the facility. And it will be financially doable. I won't have to drive from L.A. out to the middle of dusty nowhere. (I've driven out there before). I'll probably never see the Stones again. There's nothing new to hear. In fact I've pretty much given up on seeing any of the acts performing that weekend again. It doesn't mean I'll stop going to concerts.

Right, and I wasn't referring to you specifically - I've read the same thing from many others on various sites saying "I'll wait for the DVD".
The couch 'potato who doesn't attend concerts' comment was tongue-in-cheek and not to be taken literally.

My main point was that a DVD will never capture the experience of any live show, and I think you'd agree - otherwise you wouldn't be going to see Steely Dan (w/full orchestra) Hollywood Bowl show live.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 12:42

Oldchella: Paul McCartney, The Who, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Roger Waters and The Rolling Stones confirmed for one-off mega gig organized by Coachella promoters... but with the cheapest tickets at $399, who can afford it?

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

---------------

"Oldchella," Officially Called Desert Trip, Announces Full Details, Including Mind-Blowing Ticket Prices

[www.pastemagazine.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 12:44 by powerage78.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 4, 2016 13:14

Hairball

Well, I consider myself a couch potato in this context. Some live concerts are worth to visit, although mostly when they allow you to bring drinks along and have your own party. If not, it's just warm beer in plastic cups for ridiculous prices, people pushing you, not being able to go to the toilet and hearing vaguely some songs which normally sound much better on the studio album. I've been at some enjoyable Stones concerts, especially in Spain where people are more extroverted and joyful, and once in Groningen, when I was high on LSD and wodka-orange. But for a great music experience, I prefer being in a small pub and seeing some unknown singer-songwriter bashing clumsily on his or her guitar and maybe, maybe, do something special. Terry Mann in Amsterdam gives great concerts but I guess nobody outside of Amsterdam has heard of him (I hope I'm wrong here). And I agree that DVDs do not capture the experience of live shows (for better or worse) apart from the mediocre music quality, which is why I don't buy those either.

Date: May 4, 2016 13:19

What time does the sun set in Indio in October? That is the publicised start time of these gigs. Or, what time is the concert curfew? I am guessing McCartney will not be doing one of his legendary 3 hour sets or else Neil Young will be playing into the early hours........

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 13:27

Manofwealthandtaste
What time does the sun set in Indio in October? That is the publicised start time of these gigs. Or, what time is the concert curfew? I am guessing McCartney will not be doing one of his legendary 3 hour sets or else Neil Young will be playing into the early hours........

[www.timeanddate.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 4, 2016 13:56

jlowe
Why do the posters say "Bob Dylan and his band"....

They always do.

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: May 4, 2016 15:12

Is there going to be any sort of pre-sale for this event?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2016 15:40

bye bye johnny
jlowe

They always do.

Yep, he's been billing himself as Bob Dylan and His Band for a long time now, since the 1990s, at least. Probably meant to evoke a time when it was still Bob Dylan and The Band, I guess. I also find it funny that he's always introduced as "Columbia recording artist, Bob Dylan!" Who does that anymore? Again, a quaint throwback to an earlier time ....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 15:45 by tatters.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:00

tatters
bye bye johnny
jlowe

They always do.

Yep, he's been billing himself as Bob Dylan and His Band for a long time now, since the 1990s, at least. Probably meant to evoke a time when it was still Bob Dylan and The Band, I guess. I also find it funny that he's always introduced as "Columbia recording artist, Bob Dylan!" Who does that anymore? Again, a quaint throwback to an earlier time ....

there are no introductions anymore – at least not since 2013!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home