Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 26
Re: THE DESERT TRIP
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:30

spikenyc
stonesrule
Old Rocker and anyone who's interested in Coachella should Google
BOB LEFSETZ's column today with his thoughts. He often knows what
he's talking about. Which doesn't mean I'm necessarily a great fan of his.
But I do want any of the IORR gang who go there to ENJOY themselves and think
twice before spending the money and to at least get a lot of rest beforehand.
This isn't going to be as comfortable as seeing the Stones at Hyde Park.

Here is Bob Lefsetz column.

[lefsetz.com]

As far as it being uncomfortable, this is a huge area and the way its set up its not going to be a "nuts-to-butts" scene in the crowd.

Interesting column, but his credibility is questionable by quoting 'Mixed Emotions'... smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2016 20:35

spikenyc

[lefsetz.com]

As far as it being uncomfortable, this is a huge area and the way its set up its not going to be a "nuts-to-butts" scene in the crowd.

This guy is way off base.

The biggest thing he misses is the fact that most of these bands are still actively playing as well or better than they ever have.

I've seen most all of them in the past (except Rogers) few years and have never gone away unhappy. Usually thrilled as a matter of fact.

And perhaps gen admission will be "butts to nuts" but with reserved seating the hassle will be drastically reduced.

Epic.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 6, 2016 22:00

Best of luck to everyone trying to get a ticket on Monday. I'm going to sit this one out and save my dosh for NY MSG. Seen all of these bands more than once(and some a lot more!) and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Still recovering from Havana!

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 6, 2016 23:14

Well I hope the report of putting the "sold out" sign up and turning the rest of
the tickets over to scalpers after the first 15 minutes is not correct. This
would be highly frustrating. Has anyone heard what the total number of tickets
will be including general admission and reserved? Also if this "desert trip" site
is a new site to purchase tickets, hopefully the bugs are worked out so to prevent it from crashing with the high demand on Monday.

Date: May 7, 2016 00:14

swimtothemoon
Well I hope the report of putting the "sold out" sign up and turning the rest of
the tickets over to scalpers after the first 15 minutes is not correct. This
would be highly frustrating. Has anyone heard what the total number of tickets
will be including general admission and reserved?
Also if this "desert trip" site
is a new site to purchase tickets, hopefully the bugs are worked out so to prevent it from crashing with the high demand on Monday.

From the billboard article on previous page:

"Sources say there will be 30,000 reserved seats and 40,000 general-admission tickets"

Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of those GA's are designated for the pit - maybe 10,000?
Whatever the exact number, it's gonna be a tight squeeze up there - and expensive!

Still weighing the package options, but have already ruled out the $1,599's...
Hoping I have an option at all and don't get shut out and/or the site crashes, etc..

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 7, 2016 00:21

MisterDDDD
spikenyc

[lefsetz.com]

This guy is way off base.

The biggest thing he misses is the fact that most of these bands are still actively playing as well or better than they ever have.

I've seen most all of them in the past (except Rogers) few years and have never gone away unhappy. Usually thrilled as a matter of fact.

And perhaps gen admission will be "butts to nuts" but with reserved seating the hassle will be drastically reduced.

Epic.

Way off base ... except he is right about almost everything.

He is right about the hook. He is right that there is no urgency or real reason for any music fan to go. He is right it's something for boomers to brag about going to. He is right that it's all about the money.

And everybody playing better than ever ... as much I enjoy still seeing them from time to time, I am not going to delude myself into believing it's anywhere near true. And I also agree it's probably a great show but I still don't want to go.

Date: May 7, 2016 01:03

For all the ultra expensive first section seats directly behind the expensive GA pit...
those people will have to stand the entire time, so they might as well go for the pit.
Can you imagine someone in their $1599 front section seat yelling at everyone in the GA pit to "SIT DOWN"!!!! smiling smiley
And of course it will be the domino effect on the main field where everyone in every section will have to be standing all the way to the back, back, back...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 7, 2016 01:07

With all due respect, Lefsetz seems to be overthinking the whole thing. If you want to go, have a realistic impression of what it will be like, and can afford it, then go. Spending a lot of time pondering the show's place in the general scheme of things, or the philosophy behind it, passes some time while waiting for tickets to go on sale, but ultimately it's irrelevant. "Because you want to" seems to me the only valid reason to go. If, again, you can afford it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 7, 2016 01:09

Hairball
For all the ultra expensive first section seats directly behind the expensive GA pit...
those people will have to stand the entire time, so they might as well go for the pit.
Can you imagine someone in their $1599 front section seat yelling at everyone in the GA pit to "SIT DOWN"!!!! smiling smiley
And of course it will be the domino effect on the main field where everyone in every section will have to be standing all the way to the back, back, back...

But at least you will have the option of sitting down (in a chair) for 8 minutes to rest your legs while they play "Miss You"grinning smiley

Re: Desert Trip
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 7, 2016 14:51

Mick and Keith talk to Sirius XM's David Fricke:

Mick - [soundcloud.com]

Keith - [soundcloud.com]

Full interviews will air on Sirius XM this weekend.

Schedule > [blog.siriusxm.com]

Date: May 7, 2016 15:38

Mick interview with iHeart Radio's Jim Kerr:

Mick Jagger Talks About Epic Desert Trip Festival

Listen > [news.iheart.com]

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: May 7, 2016 16:36

Aquamarine
With all due respect, Lefsetz seems to be overthinking the whole thing. If you want to go, have a realistic impression of what it will be like, and can afford it, then go. Spending a lot of time pondering the show's place in the general scheme of things, or the philosophy behind it, passes some time while waiting for tickets to go on sale, but ultimately it's irrelevant. "Because you want to" seems to me the only valid reason to go. If, again, you can afford it.

thumbs up

At this point in their careers, these rock legends are trafficking in nostalgia. Music from the 60's was born from youthful rebellion and now in 2016 has become a very lucrative nostalgia product.
Maybe some collaborations or new music could happen + the Stones should have had their new album released by then.
From Woodstock in the mud to a festival in the desert costing an outrageous price to sit in a pit!
If you can make a buck, you can make a buck.
Still will be a major exciting event and probably available via different formats just in time before the holiday season.
Just the fact that the Rolling Stones will be performing is awesome!
Will be scopin' ready for this one!

cool smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 7, 2016 18:55

Woodstock was never intended to be a free festival. It was done to make money. [an excellent account of the inner workings can be read in 'Barefoot in Babylon' .1979]

Tickets were $18 advance, $24 at the gate. That's about $130 - $160 in todays prices. Remember, no one was yet a 'legend', although some bands were very iconic.

People complained about high ticket prices for the festival (and later the movie), and vendors were gouging people from the get-go. CocaCola sent all their cans half full (to be sold at full+ price).

The 'people' sort of won in the end. but it was more circumstance than moxie. (they got in for free, sat in the rain/mud, had few bathrooms, ate Hog Farm gruel, got shitty drugs, and listened through tinny pa speakers).

So all that glitters isn't always gold.

That costs $1599.winking smiley

Date: May 7, 2016 19:02

Thanks for the interview snippets bye bye johnny. thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 7, 2016 20:56

yesh ,thanks bye bye johny.
jeroen

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:22

Father Ted
Old Rocker, I would go. Just need a wealthy cougar to pay for me winking smiley

Where has CindyC been hanging out? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:24

"One would hope there will be some kind of cross pollination" MJ on Sirius interview right now when asked if the artists will team up. Jeez, now I want to go to all 3 nights instead of just Friday

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:36

what are the chances there will a stage announcement telling people to "stay away from the brown metamucil".

Date: May 8, 2016 00:02

sundevil
what are the chances there will a stage announcement telling people to "stay away from the brown metamucil".

smiling smiley

There might even be a prune juice bar, and express denture cleaning service stations.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 8, 2016 16:25

Hairball

"Sources say there will be 30,000 reserved seats and 40,000 general-admission tickets"

Not sure those numbers add up. If each act is really getting a $7 million guarantee, the revenue from ticket sales would barely cover the performance fees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-08 16:26 by tatters.

Date: May 8, 2016 16:33

Billboard reports the headliners are being paid considerably more:

"Sources say primary headliners the Stones, McCartney and Pink Floyd’s Waters will pull in between $7 million and $10 million each, while the “support” acts (an odd concept for legends like Dylan, Young and The Who) will well earn more than $1 million apiece. According to a source familiar with the talent layout, at least four of the acts will score the highest paydays of their respective careers. Sources tell Billboard that Desert Trip’s talent budget alone exceeds $35 million -- and that Goldenvoice chief Paul Tollett was prepared to pay whatever it took to secure the lineup."

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 8, 2016 20:06

To add even more frustration about tickets:

[www.desertsun.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2016 21:53

bye bye johnny
Mick and Keith talk to Sirius XM's David Fricke:

Mick - [soundcloud.com]

Keith - [soundcloud.com]

Full interviews will air on Sirius XM this weekend.

Schedule > [blog.siriusxm.com]

Thank you, bye bye johnny! thumbs up

Date: May 9, 2016 01:24

The Who supporting Waters? confused smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 9, 2016 02:46

Hoping the interviews will get recorded and posted to Youtube. Sirius is not letting me sign up for a trial for some reason...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 9, 2016 03:38

Aquamarine
The Who supporting Waters? confused smiley

No

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 9, 2016 05:00

alieb
Hoping the interviews will get recorded and posted to Youtube. Sirius is not letting me sign up for a trial for some reason...

Here's the interview with Mick, posted by bye bye johnny:

bye bye johnny
Mick interview with iHeart Radio's Jim Kerr:

Mick Jagger Talks About Epic Desert Trip Festival

Listen > [news.iheart.com]

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: May 9, 2016 07:16

Am wondering how the ticket sales will pan out tomorrow. Will there be a magic link on website at 10 am exactly? I can only imagine it is going to crash like ComicCon does every year. It is odd there is no pre-sales like at other concerts, like American Express, but maybe that is a good thing. The website says it won't honor any scalped tickets, but what about secondary market tickets? All the ticket agencies are already offering tickets marked way up, is that going to be honored, or is that not considered scalped? Any thoughts?

I just emailed desert trip asking them about ticket agency tickets, whether they are authorized or considered scalpers.

Just got an answer, they seem to be in denial about ticket agencies preselling these tickets at astronomical prices. If I can't get GA tickets tommorow, I will save my money for the rumoured future concerts later this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 08:37 by 2014Slayer.

Posted by: keepmehappy ()
Date: May 9, 2016 09:31

Why don't they have single day standing pit? Grrrs.

Date: May 9, 2016 09:49

keepmehappy
Why don't they have single day standing pit? Grrrs.

That was probably the main factor in my reluctant decision to pass on this (unless some other alternative suddenly pops up, anyway).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home