Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 26
Re: Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:30

bye bye johnny
jlowe
Why do the posters say "Bob Dylan and his band"....

They always do.

..."in person ", "in show " ànd "in concert " ??
That sounds exhausting. smoking smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:41

Dylan is worthless live. The only thing he could do to make him a decent live act is to sing with someone else whos voice his voice meshes with and stop trying to reinvent his song all the time., but he won't do it. You can never tell until the song is almost over what he is even singing.

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable. I think he is by far the greatest artist of the rock era but not going to see a guy because he was a great song writer 5 decades ago.

If this concert happens the Stones are in a good position because they are going to sound great right after hes done. If I was them I would insist on going on right after Dylan.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:47

The two that got away....Pink Floyd, Dave said no....Led Zeppelin....Plant said no. Bob Dylan and Waters in their places....total speculation on my part.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:23

I overheard someone talking about this, they called it Geezer Fest.

Quite the collection of classic rock music live for a weekend.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:11

Considerations:

Individual shows are $199 for General admission, that's standing behind all the seats, only looking at and being able to see TV screens.

Seats for the 3 day event start at $699 for the rear of the seated section.

Hotel for a place that isn't a total dump would probably run at least $600 for a 3 night stay....and that would probably be at least 20 miles away. Living about 100 miles from the site I wouldn't want to drive home after the last night.

For me personally, I've seen the Stones, Young and Who all within the last year and Macca in 2014.

....so, I think I'm good (by not going)....If the Stones play an arena show In California, Vegas or Phoenix, I would probably go to at least one of those.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 4, 2016 18:50

stanlove
Dylan is worthless live. The only thing he could do to make him a decent live act is to sing with someone else whos voice his voice meshes with and stop trying to reinvent his song all the time., but he won't do it. You can never tell until the song is almost over what he is even singing.

He is the worst live performer ever. What you are going to see fron him is him butchering his own songs with a voice so bad its basically unlistenable. I think he is by far the greatest artist of the rock era but not going to see a guy because he was a great song writer 5 decades ago.

If this concert happens the Stones are in a good position because they are going to sound great right after hes done. If I was them I would insist on going on right after Dylan.

Nonsense

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:27

stanlove

Such a stupid and ignorant comment. If you do not fancy Bob Dylan personally then please don't bother us with such offensive comments. Many many other people do like his music and performances, please show some respect by not posting offensive comments and negativity on IORR. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:40

RoughJusticeOnYa
bye bye johnny
jlowe
Why do the posters say "Bob Dylan and his band"....

They always do.

..."in person ", "in show " ànd "in concert " ??
That sounds exhausting. smoking smiley

I've never been sure what "In Show" refers to in regards to Dylan. Maybe it's the lasers, fireworks, and scantily-clad dancers?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:43

matxil
Hairball
I'm still amazed how they were able to get all these acts on the same bill.
Of course there's alot of money in it for them, but logistically speaking (not to mention all the egos involved), it's quite a feat imo.

On another note, the fact that they've created a 'mini stadium' rather than a standing only endless desert field spanning the horizon makes it rather desirable. And if you divide each of these acts into cost per ticket (any category), it seems reasonably priced considering what they all normally cost these days (except Dylan ...and maybe the Who?). Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it all in my mind.... smiling smiley

As for the thought that this entire experience will translate to a DVD while sitting at home watching on a screen, I don't think so.
No DVD has ever captured the experience of any live show...unless you're a couch potato who doesn't attend concerts.

Well, I consider myself a couch potato in this context. Some live concerts are worth to visit, although mostly when they allow you to bring drinks along and have your own party. If not, it's just warm beer in plastic cups for ridiculous prices, people pushing you, not being able to go to the toilet and hearing vaguely some songs which normally sound much better on the studio album. I've been at some enjoyable Stones concerts, especially in Spain where people are more extroverted and joyful, and once in Groningen, when I was high on LSD and wodka-orange. But for a great music experience, I prefer being in a small pub and seeing some unknown singer-songwriter bashing clumsily on his or her guitar and maybe, maybe, do something special. Terry Mann in Amsterdam gives great concerts but I guess nobody outside of Amsterdam has heard of him (I hope I'm wrong here). And I agree that DVDs do not capture the experience of live shows (for better or worse) apart from the mediocre music quality, which is why I don't buy those either.

All valid points here matxil, and for the most part I would agree (especially the live music in a small pub/club experience being superior).

BluzDude
Considerations:

Individual shows are $199 for General admission, that's standing behind all the seats, only looking at and being able to see TV screens.

Seats for the 3 day event start at $699 for the rear of the seated section.

Hotel for a place that isn't a total dump would probably run at least $600 for a 3 night stay....and that would probably be at least 20 miles away. Living about 100 miles from the site I wouldn't want to drive home after the last night.

For me personally, I've seen the Stones, Young and Who all within the last year and Macca in 2014.

....so, I think I'm good (by not going)....If the Stones play an arena show In California, Vegas or Phoenix, I would probably go to at least one of those.

Again, all valid points BluzDude, and you make some good arguments for avoiding this concert.

From my perspective...(thinking out loud)...
I live 150 miles away, and was able to book a nice room at a reasonable rate (refundable) for Oct.6-10 when the rumours first began. As for the groups on the bill, I've seen them all multiple times. I could live without seeing Dylan in this gargantuan setting (I'll see him again at the Santa Barbara Bowl next month). I'd prefer to see the Stones in an arena or a small club again, but would never pass up a chance to see them if they are in the 'neighborhhod' this late in the game. I would see Neil Young again practically anywhere. I've seen Paul twice - most recently Dodger stadium - and wouldn't lose sleep if I never saw him again. Same for The Who, as well as Roger Waters (although I'm curious as to what kind of show he'll put on). But when you add them all together for a 3 night extravaganza, there's something unique and intriguing about it all making it very tempting imo. If I had to choose one day to go to (which is still a possibility), it would probably be day two with Neil and Paul. The total amount of money it will cost to invest in this experience is by no means going to be cheap, but when you take into consideration the many factors involved, it will probably be more than worth it. One things for sure - I could never justify spending $1599+ for admission alone, so will have to seek some of the substandard options. There's lots to consider here, and as someone mentioned several pages ago "there's no right or wrong answer...it comes down to a personal choice". I've got an angel on one shoulder peacefully whispering all the pro's and cons, and a devil on the other shouting JUST DO IT! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:46

BluzDude

Yes, but just look at all the wide open empty spaces the people with general admission tickets will have to frolic around in. Plenty of room for dancing and picnics and maybe even a friendly game of touch football right in front of stage, too!

A conceptual rendering of the stage and seating setup for the October concert.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 20:02 by tatters.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: May 4, 2016 19:59

bv
stanlove

Such a stupid and ignorant comment. If you do not fancy Bob Dylan personally then please don't bother us with such offensive comments. Many many other people do like his music and performances, please show some respect by not posting offensive comments and negativity on IORR. Thank you.
What's so offensive about his opinion? Are we so thin skinned that the slightest negative comment will make us cry?

Date: May 4, 2016 20:17

bv
stanlove

You would have a good point if I wasn't spot on. Are you seriously trying to deny that its often hard to figure out what song he is singing, or that his voice is totally shot? Give me a break.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:20

I have to say, stanlove is spot on. Dylan has been pretty awful live for many years now....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:28

then don't go to his shows..

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:35

Woz
I have to say, stanlove is spot on. Dylan has been pretty awful live for many years now....

I pretty much accidentally stumbled into one of his shows in 2009, I thought it was great and I had a great time. At this show with 90% of the crowd not knowing what it's in for could make it a rough experience for those who would otherwise enjoy it.

But bringing it back on topic, with You Tube and torrents there is no urgency to see this show. If it were like Coachella with an open field then it might be worth $399 but everything about this show just seems so awful. I am not ruling out being there but I am also not scrambling for tickets and accommodations next week either.

I am not saying whatever is happening onstage is going to be awful, but I think the potential for the bands being great yet still having an awful time are pretty high.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:41

I love Dylan and have seen a dozen or so of his shows over the last decade. I love the re- interpretation of his songs. And his studio output late in his career is much more impressive than many of his peers. To critisize his voice is hardly new as people have been doing so since the sixties. He may not have one of the greatest voices but I would argue he is a great singer. Having said all this I would hope for a show like this he would move away from the songbook covers for a night but my suspicion is the show will be the same he has been performing the last few years.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:00

masseywinos
I love Dylan and have seen a dozen or so of his shows over the last decade. I love the re- interpretation of his songs. And his studio output late in his career is much more impressive than many of his peers. To critisize his voice is hardly new as people have been doing so since the sixties. He may not have one of the greatest voices but I would argue he is a great singer. Having said all this I would hope for a show like this he would move away from the songbook covers for a night but my suspicion is the show will be the same he has been performing the last few years.

The last few years haven't been exclusively songbook covers as far as I know.
I saw him at the Dolby Theater last year in Hollywood, and without the setlist right in front of me, I think there was maybe one or two of these cover tunes.

As far as his performances/vocals as of late, I have to say that he was superior at the Dolby show compared to several other times in the past where I was left wondering 'What the hell'? His vocals were clear (er), and his band was top notch. While some of the re-interpretations are a bit baffling at first, for me that's part of the charm. Rather than regurgitating exact note-for-note reproductions of his hits, he's willing to take chances and explore his art as any true artist is want to do - whether people get it or not. It doesn't always work, but that's the risk of creativity. As for how well this creativity/eccentricity will go over in a mammoth outdoor setting filled with people hoping to here Dylan's greatest hits? I have my doubts, but time will tell.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 4, 2016 21:03

Anyone have an educated guess or know about the potential for reselling tickets at previous Coachella concerts?

I am considering buying (if I am lucky enough to be able) a few "Pit" passes for myself and friends.

My thoughts are that they will be easy to resell if the Stones do other dates around this concert and I decide to "switch" to those.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:23

MisterDDDD
Anyone have an educated guess or know about the potential for reselling tickets at previous Coachella concerts?

I am considering buying (if I am lucky enough to be able) a few "Pit" passes for myself and friends.

My thoughts are that they will be easy to resell if the Stones do other dates around this concert and I decide to "switch" to those.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Possibly, though they are already max priced, which means not only will they be hard to mark up, they may decline in value, especially if weekend 2 happens. Just be sure to read the disclaimers that say reselling is prohibited.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:05

I've seen 10 Dylan shows since 1998 and I loved every one of them, plus i've loved every new album since Time out of Mind with the exception of the Christmas album. To each his own I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 22:05 by mnewman505.

Date: May 4, 2016 22:55

mnewman505
I've seen 10 Dylan shows since 1998 and I loved every one of them, plus i've loved every new album since Time out of Mind with the exception of the Christmas album. To each his own I guess.

When someone loves everything then their opinion stops mattering. Tell us what was the worst Dylan show you ever went to.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:58

I agree, I have seen Dylan many times in the last 15 years, and enjoyed every show. Every tour is a little different, when he played The Warner Theater in DC many years ago...he played such awesome electric guitar. This one is Tangled Up In Blue from last year....I mean you gotta put your ears on, and it aint hard.

TANGLED UP IN BLUE

mnewman505

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:19

Is the performance fee confirmed as yet?
Is it 7 million US dollars for each act?
If so is this an all time high for The Stones?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:49

I usually see Dylan at least once on each of his tours. I suppose someone who is expecting a 1970's Dylan would be surprised at his current show. In my opinion his shows are still very good and his band is incredible. However, for this event a greatest his show would probably go over better than his usual. He is not the type to change a setlist to suit an audience. But for 7 million he might consider a change or two.

For me he is a dream opening band for the stones. Hopefully they will do
"Like A Rolling Stone" together - I wouldn't bet on it though but a possibility.

Date: May 4, 2016 23:56

I assume Roger Waters is performing "The Wall" or is he now doing somthing
different?

Date: May 5, 2016 00:11

swimtothemoon
different?

It could be a 'greatest hits' (Floyd and solo) as his facebook/October video was playing a track from Dark Side of the Moon.
I'm guessing if it was The Wall (which he's already milked to death) it might have been a track and some footage from the recent Wall film he just released.
But, anythings possible.

Date: May 5, 2016 00:18

swimtothemoon
different?

Set 1 is The Final Cut and Set 2 is Radio KAOS, maybe Comfortably Numb and something off Dark Side in the encore.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 5, 2016 00:24

Dan
swimtothemoon
different?

Set 1 is The Final Cut and Set 2 is Radio KAOS, maybe Comfortably Numb and something off Dark Side in the encore.

So we can't expect anything from his new solo album which he has been working on for the last decade?

Date: May 5, 2016 03:13

Dan
swimtothemoon
different?

Thanks, the Wall would have been good in that big venue but I would prefer
somthing different as I agree he has been performing that for a number of
years now.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 5, 2016 03:40

So - The Stones are going to play Coachella... If they invite Mick Taylor to sit-in I might go - if not, I won't

MLC

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home