Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21
Re: OT: Paris terror attacks
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 17, 2015 03:57

Naturalust
latebloomer
Just watched this, interesting, but depressing look at the history of the war in Syria.

Thanks for that bloomer. Although of course I'm still confused who the good guys and the bad guys are and I have to smile because after all that analysis the narrator admits:

"So as it stands now, there are lots of different groups and outside countries involved in Syria's war. And even among allies there are big disagreements about who their enemies are, who to support and how to do it"

And to add to the confusion I've heard there are hundreds of different factions within the rebel groups who all have there own agendas, don't communicate with each other and are often at odds.

And France is going to insert itself into this mess? Yikes.

It's not their choice, the mess inserted itself into France.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 17, 2015 04:00

CNN just reported an hour ago they estimate / guesstimate some 11,000 "jihadists" have infiltrated and are living in France. Insane if true. Peace all MEZ

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 17, 2015 04:00

bv
bv
Please do not use this thread to discuss domestic politics or religion or other difficult matters that will start another war right here on IORR. The same goes for gun control. Some like to own a gun, or may be twenty, others hate guns. I use a knife to cut my bread, others use a knife to kill.

If there are too many of those kind of political posts here then I have to start deleting, closing, acting like the real old Mr Censorship myself. I trust people are able to post with respect here.

On the personal side, I feel deep sadness for the pain our French friends are suffering right now. Like a young AUF girl said shortly after the terror attack in Norway July 22, 2011 attacks: "If one man can show so much hate, think how much love we could show, standing together."

I posted this in another thread, related to this "Paris" thread:

If there is an offending post then it takes anyone one second to use the "Report this message" link under the actual post. I never delete or moderate based on my own opinion. It always take an external "Report this message" for me to look into a post. Also, FYI, don't report many many posts, just one, two or three, then you will see if I react, or if I ignore it.

So far there has been may be two to four i.e. 2-4 reports from the Paris thread, while there are now close to four hundred posts in it. People are well behaved and reasonable toterate. Some say bomb and kill everyone, well that is the nature of instant affection. Some say blame it all on Obama or Mother Teresa or Ghandi or Bush. Again it is forgiven because it is clearly out of line, to out of line to be wasted time on. But I have deleted 2-4 because they were reported. Also see my comment in that thread.

Thanks for letting the thread go. It's a great thread. On a side note I will never for the life of me get people who report posts. Control freaks, so thanks for letting it go.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 04:11

The Mez
CNN just reported an hour ago they estimate / guesstimate some 11,000 "jihadists" have infiltrated and are living in France. Insane if true. Peace all MEZ

fear = money.

the US spent well over $1 Trillion retaliating for the lives lost on 9/11.

the media is trying to drive up the fear and outrage in us all.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 17, 2015 04:34

Rokyfan
Naturalust

It's not their choice, the mess inserted itself into France.

There's always a choice Rokyfan. Contract out the job to Russia? winking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 17, 2015 04:37

Was looking for a quote from Jack Kerouac about the origin of the term Beat, and just found this:

"It is because I am Beat. That is, I believe in beatitude. Who knows, but that the universe is not one vast sea of compassion, actually, the veritable holy honey, beneath all this show of personality and cruelty?"

What a thought. That instead of the world being predominantly made up of, as he says, "personality" (which I interpret to mean narcissism and ego) and cruelty, that it is actually underlain by a "vast sea of compassion."

But we're often too afraid and skeptical to believe that to be true...and so many profit from keeping others awash in fear, cruelty, skepticism--and disbelief in the power of We the People and the love in our beating hearts.

When John Lennon said "All you need is love" I don't take that to mean you don't need water, medicine, or locks on your doors. But love is a magnificent powerful force...of nature, humanity, and [some of us believe forces] beyond the material and tangible. Love may not conquer all...but it comes pretty damned close when we have the courage to lead with it. And allow it to bind us together.

- swiss

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 05:12

LOVE is the most powerful force in the universe. And, in the end, it WILL prevail. God is love.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:08

I don't mind people praying but I would appreciate if you left at least some of your prayers in church or at home. I don't think god will step down from heaven and take care of this situation.
That would probably be to much to ask for...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:12

Yeah don't forget the "people" who did this did it in the name of God...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:53

beyond the tragedy, I'm very happy that the soccer game between England and France will be played tonight in London.
I was not expecting that much from English people but I want to salute their great support. It is said that they will be singing the Marseillaise during the national anthems.
I've just heard the coach Roy Hugdson speaking in a very good French.
yes go ahead, let's play this game !

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 13:37

Naturalust
latebloomer
Just watched this, interesting, but depressing look at the history of the war in Syria.

Thanks for that bloomer. Although of course I'm still confused who the good guys and the bad guys are and I have to smile because after all that analysis the narrator admits:

"So as it stands now, there are lots of different groups and outside countries involved in Syria's war. And even among allies there are big disagreements about who their enemies are, who to support and how to do it"

And to add to the confusion I've heard there are hundreds of different factions within the rebel groups who all have there own agendas, don't communicate with each other and are often at odds.

I think these thugs have inserted themselves into France, have they not?

Rod

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 17, 2015 16:13

jpasc95
beyond the tragedy, I'm very happy that the soccer game between England and France will be played tonight in London.
I was not expecting that much from English people but I want to salute their great support. It is said that they will be singing the Marseillaise during the national anthems.

Roy Hodgson was manager at Neuchatel in the French speaking part of Switzerland for a while and then manager of the Swiss National team in the 90's. Cosmopolitan guy.
It's going to be an emotional evening, which I will see later as I'm going to a concert in London tonight. We can't let these people win.

Date: November 17, 2015 16:17

exhpart
jpasc95

Roy Hodgson was manager at Neuchatel in the French speaking part of Switzerland for a while and then manager of the Swiss National team in the 90's. Cosmopolitan guy.
It's going to be an emotional evening, which I will see later as I'm going to a concert in London tonight. We can't let these people win.

He speaks swedish and norwegian as well, after his stay as manager for clubs in both countries..

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:19

I'm kind of beyond the need to have musicians and bands issue statements. Same for the feel good songs. I actually don't care what they think because the message is pretty much the same filtered blather that is, in a lot of cases, put out by publicists. What is the need to have a musician/band issue a statement? None.

I get more relief from people on the ground or general discussions. Even the news media stories change from hour to hour. It has become so unreliable that while watching the events unfold on CNN, FOX, and MSNBC all had reported widely different death and injury totals along with erroneous reports of activity.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:43

The Sicilian
I'm kind of beyond the need to have musicians and bands issue statements. Same for the feel good songs. I actually don't care what they think because the message is pretty much the same filtered blather that is, in a lot of cases, put out by publicists. What is the need to have a musician/band issue a statement? None.

I get more relief from people on the ground or general discussions. Even the news media stories change from hour to hour. It has become so unreliable that while watching the events unfold on CNN, FOX, and MSNBC all had reported widely different death and injury totals along with erroneous reports of activity.

Kind of along the lines you're speaking of:

[nypost.com]

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: November 17, 2015 20:28

Many People, me too, are asking: Why Paris, again?

Here are some more links to look at the historical Background:

Franco-Syrian War [en.wikipedia.org]

Algerian War [en.wikipedia.org]

Ruhollah Khomeini [en.wikipedia.org]

Nicolas Sarkozy [en.wikipedia.org]

Clichy-sous-Bois [en.wikipedia.org]

and many more to find.

I've posted these link last monday. Let me add this ARTE-Documentation now.
You know ARTE, an German/French TV-Project, by the well known Stones-Docu: "Let It Bleed".

Documentaire - Abdelkrim et la guerre du Rif

Here is the german version:

Marokko 1921 - Ein vergessener Krieg - ( Abdel krim el khattabie )

[www.youtube.com]

If you look a little deeper, you'll find many more cruelties, committed by european states and Chrstians against the Arabs and Moslims.

And again: This may give us some explanations, but there is still never ever any kind of an excuse to kill People, now.

We'll have to find a way to stop this insanity.

But it will be not so simple as some of us like to believe ...

Peace.
HighwireC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 20:37 by HighwireC.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 17, 2015 21:36

Is that why Gothenburg produces more ISIS terrorists than any other country? The Algerian war? I beg to differ.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 17, 2015 21:47

HighwireC

Peace.
HighwireC

Atheisation of muslims. The problem is it has to start from the inside, if it's forced from the outside it will only reinforce their radical beliefs. We can only educate them to try to keep away from religion.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:00

Redhotcarpet
Is that why Gothenburg produces more ISIS terrorists than any other country? The Algerian war? I beg to differ.

"In Sweden, the Land of the Open Door, Anti-Muslim Sentiment Finds a Foothold"
[www.nytimes.com]

No more words.

Peace.
HighwireC

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:32

franzk
HighwireC

Peace.
HighwireC

Atheisation of muslims. The problem is it has to start from the inside, if it's forced from the outside it will only reinforce their radical beliefs. We can only educate them to try to keep away from religion.

thumbs up

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:39

[stashkroh.wordpress.com]

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:42

"While Europe Slept". The author can kinda say, "I told you so!", Check it out on Amazon.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:44

Please. spare us. Tell that to the Jewish people who are constantly persecuted throughout Europe.For eons.

Date: November 17, 2015 23:09

RipThisBone
franzk
HighwireC

Peace.
HighwireC

thumbs up

That's quite a paradox there franzk, to assert we have to educate them is starting the process from the outside, no? Just another way of saying conversion of belief system, something they seem to take pretty seriously. Not to say education isn't a good thing for all people. I think like most things, moderation and tolerance are the keys and yes from inside Islam.

But like HighwireC says, the solution isn't going to be easy or something gained in the short term here. We have to start looking for more long term solutions or I expect my grandkids will be inheriting this same problem, and their grandkids too. We might gain vengeance through bombing, temporary safety with tighter security, surveillance and immigration but it's totally naive, imo, to think these are effective long term solutions.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 17, 2015 23:11

The Mez

Methiks CNN misunderstood the amound fo French ppl who are on the "S" ("s" is for scrutiny). Guys who are hardcore Muslims, guys who travelled to Turkey or Syria etc etc.

Not all "S list" guys are terrorists but all terrorists who killed ppl in France were on the "S list".

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: November 17, 2015 23:14

Stones50

Please. spare us. Tell that to the Jewish people who are constantly persecuted throughout Europe.For eons.

Tell what?

www.rsundercover.eu

Date: November 17, 2015 23:26

Naturalust
RipThisBone
franzk
HighwireC

Peace.
HighwireC

thumbs up

That's quite a paradox there franzk, to assert we have to educate them is starting the process from the outside, no? Just another way of saying conversion of belief system, something they seem to take pretty seriously. Not to say education isn't a good thing for all people. I think like most things, moderation and tolerance are the keys and yes from inside Islam.

But like HighwireC says, the solution isn't going to be easy or something gained in the short term here. We have to start looking for more long term solutions or I expect my grandkids will be inheriting this same problem, and their grandkids too. We might gain vengeance through bombing, temporary safety with tighter security, surveillance and immigration but it's totally naive, imo, to think these are effective long term solutions.

I am a believer too! I believe in THE ROLLING STONES. smileys with beer Long term enough for me. Glad I don't have kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 23:29 by RipThisBone.

Date: November 17, 2015 23:48

RipThisBone
I am a believer too! I believe in THE ROLLING STONES. smileys with beer Long term enough for me. Glad I don't have kids.

A good education should cure you. LOL I think we're glad you don't too Ripper. smileys with beer

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 23:52

Steve Jobs was the son of a Syrian immigrant to the USA.

Date: November 18, 2015 00:06

Naturalust
RipThisBone

A good education should cure you. LOL I think we're glad you don't too Ripper. smileys with beer

I don't quite understand the last part of your sentence, but I believe you think I should be cured by a good education...
Well let's leave it at that.thumbs down

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home