Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 21
Re: OT: Paris terror attacks
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 16, 2015 06:08

Naturalust
HighwireC
Do you believe, some "couple of good guys with concealed carry permits" would have had a real chance to stopp these terrorists using machine guns, really?

Show me one example, please ...

Peace.
HigfhwireC

Yes I obviously do or I wouldn't have said so.. I assure you if I was there, I would have tried to stop them. And if you were there and armed you probably would have too. I implore you not to continue the debate for obvious reasons..

But since you asked for examples:

[crimeresearch.org]

Seems to be a misperception of gun crimes in the US. I don't own a gun myself but I support the right of those who do. And yes we have the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, but when it comes to gun related crimes we don't even crack the top 100 countries in the world. That doesn't exactly suggest more guns = more violence.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 16, 2015 06:27

The Sicilian
This is more of a rhetorical question seeking an opinion, not making a statement, but were the Middle Eastern and African countries better off with colonial European occupation of the recent past, or were they better off after each achieved its independence? Or should I say was the West or Europe better off?

Can anyone answer this with an intelligent historical perspective and not some diatribe on the evils of European colonialism.

I think you'd have to answer that question on a case by case basis to give more meaningful answers. It also depends on how you rate benefits like education and infrastructure against losses like cultural and religious identity.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: November 16, 2015 06:53

kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC
Do you believe, some "couple of good guys with concealed carry permits" would have had a real chance to stopp these terrorists using machine guns, really?

Peace.
HigfhwireC

Yes I obviously do or I wouldn't have said so.. I assure you if I was there, I would have tried to stop them. And if you were there and armed you probably would have too. I implore you not to continue the debate for obvious reasons..

[crimeresearch.org]

Seems to be a misperception of gun crimes in the US. I don't own a gun myself but I support the right of those who do. And yes we have the highest rate of gun ownership in the world, but when it comes to gun related crimes we don't even crack the top 100 countries in the world. That doesn't exactly suggest more guns = more violence.

US is listed at Nr. 13 world wide after Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador (Undercover!), Jamaica, Swaziland, Guatemala, Colombia, South Africa, Brazil, Uruguay and Mexico ...

(look here: [en.wikipedia.org] ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 06:58 by HighwireC.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 16, 2015 06:59

stanlove
Nate
All religions are wrong in the same way in that they privilege faith over reason,but they are not all equally bad in the same way all of the time.In the 1930s then the Roman Catholic religion would of been considered to be the most dangerous at the time because of its alliance with fascism and antisemitism

Nate

Boy do you need to lay off the anti Catholic Propaganda. You are in much need of a history lesson.

I don't need a history lesson what I wrote is fact,you have the freedom of choice whether to learn that yourself or not.

Attempting to tell me what I can or can not write about is a complete waste of your time because I think for myself unlike people who choose to live under a celestial North Korea.

Feel free to advise me on what I should not criticize but it will serve you about as well as a chocolate teapot.

Nate

Date: November 16, 2015 07:11

Nate
stanlove
Nate
All religions are wrong in the same way in that they privilege faith over reason,but they are not all equally bad in the same way all of the time.In the 1930s then the Roman Catholic religion would of been considered to be the most dangerous at the time because of its alliance with fascism and antisemitism

Nate

Boy do you need to lay off the anti Catholic Propaganda. You are in much need of a history lesson.

I don't need a history lesson what I wrote is fact,you have the freedom of choice whether to learn that yourself or not.

Attempting to tell me what I can or can not write about is a complete waste of your time because I think for myself unlike people who choose to live under a celestial North Korea.

Feel free to advise me on what I should not criticize but it will serve you about as well as a chocolate teapot.

Nate

Clerical fascism [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 16, 2015 07:34

I could be wrong but I don't think, even if you have a conceal and carry permit,
you would ever be able to bring a gun into a soccer match or concert hall. I doubt Mick, Bono or whomever would like their fans armed. Armed security guards
may become more of a requirement at any large event though. Personally I don't
feel this terrorist attack opens the door to a Gun control issue - either for
or against. I belive the problem is much more complex than a gun control issue.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 16, 2015 08:17

swimtothemoon
I could be wrong but I don't think, even if you have a conceal and carry permit,
you would ever be able to bring a gun into a soccer match or concert hall. I doubt Mick, Bono or whomever would like their fans armed. Armed security guards

Absolutely right. Furthermore, the more people would be allowed to carry a gun, not only more good people would carry a gun, but also a lot more idiots. I cannot see how this would increase safety in general. Total safety always was, is and will forever be an illusion.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 16, 2015 08:19

swimtothemoon

It is completely dependent on the venue. Locals laws and whether the venue is public or private and other factors come into play. It is not as simple as it is universally not allowed for people having the proper permits to carry.You would probably be surprised at how many concerts and festivals it is actually allowed at!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 16, 2015 08:57

Naturalust
swimtothemoon

It is completely dependent on the venue. Locals laws and whether the venue is public or private and other factors come into play. It is not as simple as it is universally not allowed for people having the proper permits to carry.You would probably be surprised at how many concerts and festivals it is actually allowed at!

That does surprise me. I would not want most of the "security" people I have
encountered at concerts responsible for determining a patron has a authentic
credential to conceal a weapon.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:15

I worked in the international concert industry for over 20 years and never - not once - did I work at an event where the public was allowed to bring a concealed weapon into a show, regardless of whether or not they had a carry permit. And by the way most of the band's security teams (including those for the Rolling Stones) are not armed.
swimtothemoon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 10:42 by TornAndFried.

Date: November 16, 2015 10:29

French police seize a ROCKET LAUNCHER and huge cache of weapons in Lyon as more than 150 pre-dawn raids are made across the country and at least five held

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

And now the US-Gun-Industry-Advocate will tell us:

Everyone has to carry a personal rocket launcher now to feel free and to take care of the other people ... ???

Absurd.

Peace.
HighwireC

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:37

These people (ISIS) are NOT terrorists to me. They are simply simple-minded, brain-washed thugs

Rod

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:38

HighwireC
Redhotcarpet
Naturalust
Redhotcarpet
Just a couple reminders: Islamic terror is a lot older than Israel and Jihad originates from the Quran and Muhammed and thus older than the USA. And needless to say that doesnt make all muslims terrorists and everybody who calls him or herself muslim is not religious. I know everybody knows this but then also remind yourself that ISIS has existed from at least 1999 so let's all stop pretending the US somehow provoked these criminals. Cute perhaps but totally inaccurate.

Not only accurate but perhaps a bit naive to suggest that the US didn't provoke them, imo. Not to blame the US for this terrible event, that is ludicrous, but to deny that our intervention in the Middle East doesn't have a provoking effect on Islamic terrorists is like saying water isn't wet. Have you heard the Al Qaeda kids shouting slogans about the USA? Our western ideologies and actions do provoke them, whether intentional or not, it's just the way it is. Sure Jihad and Islam existed before the USA but in 2015 America obviously has come to represent the ultimate evil enemy to them, that's just a fact you can't make go away.

Kids are taught Anti-semitism as well. The US and Israel represents the evil as well as all western Society with our gay rights etc. That provokes them.

Hmmmmmm,

it's not geostrategie and gasoline: Gay People are the real reason for those terroristic attacs ...?

So we can stopp them with the inauguration of death penalty for gay people in the US?

wow .....

Peace.
HighwireC

I didnt say that. I said they hate
our freedom our society our civil rights etc they are a fanatic cult and not some victims caught in the crossfire with french troups in Syria . civilians died during the bombings of dresden and japan but there is no japanese or german isis. The
400000 finnish carelian refugees in 1944 didnt terrorize russians before or after the wsr. Why is that.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:00

Friday evening in Paris was total apocalypse.

I have been to Le Bataclan few times.

I saw there through the years, Bill Wyman & the Rythm Kings in 1998, Iggy Pop in the early 2000, and Robert Plant in June 2014.

In February 2014 when the Rolling Stones were rehearsing in Paris suburb, there was a strong rumour that Mick and the boys were going to play another club show (a new one after Le Trabendo in October 2012).
This 2014 club show who should have been kept "secret" should have take place at Le Bataclan, but Mick Jagger decided to cancel it 3 days before the D day because a French radio made it official and security would have become a problem.

Date: November 16, 2015 11:23

kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

Who told you that, the NFA?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:30

thoughts with everyone affected by the terrible events on Friday.

Date: November 16, 2015 12:37

Madonna sings La Vie en Rose as a tribute to the victims of the the terror attacks in Paris. A beautiful and very moving rendition.

Peace.
HighwireC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 12:39 by HighwireC.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 16, 2015 12:49

Monday November 16 at 12:00 hours one minute of silence in Europe.

Out of respect for the victims of the attacks in Paris

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 16, 2015 14:52

DandelionPowderman
kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

Dandy, there are a lot of simple-minded people here in the US who believe that it would be better if everyone was walking around armed.

They come out after every such event, whether terrorist or Columbine, the Connecticut school, etc. and point out that if someone there had been armed, far fewer innocent people would have been killed, which is obviously true in all the cases. If there had been some good person in the Paris theater, armed, far fewer people would have been killed there.

However, does anyone really think that the overall quantum of shootings would be less if the general population in the US or Europe were walking around with handguns, that general mayhem would not prevail? Sadly, I think there are people here in my country who do.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 16, 2015 15:22

Well since the discussion has turned into a gun control issue let me just throw in my two cents,let me preface my comments by stating that l own guns and have a concealed weapons permit,due to my businesses.In order to get my permit l had to go thru a very extensive background check,and a mental evaluation,and finally had to go before a judge whom after lots of questions authorized me to have my permit,the problem in most states is that any idiot without reason,training,or mental evaluation can just go into a store and walkout with a deadly weapon,and so we have all the killings in schools,churches,etc.The NRA has sequestered this issue with all their lobbying in DC,and are a major contributor to the random violence in the United States,as far as having a gun at the concert maybe it had prevented the massacre l don't think it would have helped at all,plus like someone else said you would never be allowed into a concert hall with a gun,permit or no permit....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 16, 2015 15:23

I think this discussion leads to nowhere...........

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 16, 2015 15:40

I'll avoid the politics and just exclaim:
Vive la République ! Vive la France !

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 16, 2015 15:46

I am kinda disappointed because unless I missed it, the Stones didn't release any statement.
Many artists did...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2015 16:18

ROPENI
Indeed.....

That is actually quite a clarifying comment.

Date: November 16, 2015 16:19

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

Dandy, there are a lot of simple-minded people here in the US who believe that it would be better if everyone was walking around armed.

They come out after every such event, whether terrorist or Columbine, the Connecticut school, etc. and point out that if someone there had been armed, far fewer innocent people would have been killed, which is obviously true in all the cases. If there had been some good person in the Paris theater, armed, far fewer people would have been killed there.

However, does anyone really think that the overall quantum of shootings would be less if the general population in the US or Europe were walking around with handguns, that general mayhem would not prevail? Sadly, I think there are people here in my country who do.

Chicago has one of the most restrictive handgun laws in the country and also one of the highest rates of handgun crimes. Elsewhere you see similar situations in that gun-free zones have higher handgun crimes. Criminals don't obey laws and they know where they'll have less resistance.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 16:20

Gotta agree with POTUS, too much hatred and politics here..Prayer would be betetr

Date: November 16, 2015 16:22

kovach
Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

Chicago has one of the most restrictive handgun laws in the country and also one of the highest rates of handgun crimes. Elsewhere you see similar situations in that gun-free zones have higher handgun crimes. Criminals don't obey laws and they know where they'll have less resistance.

That's the same as allowing rape and physical abuse. The criminals will do it anyway, so let's allow it in controlled forms?

Really?

Date: November 16, 2015 16:30

HighwireC
kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

US is listed at Nr. 13 world wide after Honduras, Venezuela, El Salvador (Undercover!), Jamaica, Swaziland, Guatemala, Colombia, South Africa, Brazil, Uruguay and Mexico ...

(look here: [en.wikipedia.org] ).

I stand corrected, I was referring to this which puts us at 91:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 16, 2015 16:35

DandelionPowderman
kovach
Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
kovach
Naturalust
HighwireC

Peace.
HigfhwireC

[crimeresearch.org]

That's the same as allowing rape and physical abuse. The criminals will do it anyway, so let's allow it in controlled forms?

Really?

Allowing someone to carry a handgun for their own protection is equal to legalizing rape and physical abuse? You lost me with that analogy...

Mind you I'm not a gun owner, I think they're dangerous to have in the home especially with children. But I understand why people do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 16:36 by kovach.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 16, 2015 16:57

Nate
stanlove
Nate

Nate

Nate

Hear is how it works. You can write when you want and I am free to respond.

For starters I am SURE you are not aware that after WW2 Jewish leaders thanked the POPE for his actions during the 1930s and during the War. Also if you look back to the time, Time Magazine among other publications said flat out during the late 30s and during the War that the Catholic Church was the only ones in Europe trying to help the Jews. You can look up the Popes speeches from the time.

In the 1960s an anti Catholic author cherry picked everything he could and tried to make the Case that the CC was in bed with the facists. Its been proven to be nonesense.

There is your history lesson. Look it up.

Here is just one Speech the Ope gave in 1939 about the treatment of the Jews.

n accordance with these principles of equality, the Church devotes her care to forming cultured native clergy and gradually increasing the number of native Bishops. And in order to give external expression to these, Our intentions, We have chosen the forthcoming Feast of Christ the King to raise to the Episcopal dignity at the Tomb of the Apostles twelve representatives of widely different peoples and races. In the midst of the disruptive contrasts which divide the human family, may this solemn act proclaim to all Our sons, scattered over the world, that the spirit, the teaching and the work of the Church can never be other than that which the Apostle of the Gentiles preached: "putting on the new, (man) him who is renewed unto knowledge, according to the image of him that created him. Where there is neither Gentile nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, barbarian nor Scythian, bond nor free. But Christ is all and in all" (Colossians iii. 10, 11).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 17:12 by stanlove.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 21

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home