Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 28, 2018 07:54

This is my VL:
Love is Strong
You got it made
The Storm
You got me rocking
Cocaine Blues
New Faces
Sparks Will fly (without 'Sharks will cry'!!)
Randy Whore
I Go Wild
The Worst

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 28, 2018 10:33

Here's mine:

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 28, 2018 11:03

"that cd rom" got me to buy my first computer, just to play it. The Stones dragged me into the future, thankfully.

Date: September 28, 2018 11:07

This would have made a better album, imo:

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
The Worst
New Faces
Moon Is Up
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me, Baby
So Young
You Got It Made
Zip Mouth Angel

Date: September 28, 2018 15:45

DandelionPowderman
This would have made a better album, imo:

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
The Worst
New Faces
Moon Is Up
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me, Baby
So Young
You Got It Made
Zip Mouth Angel

Both of these lists are fantastic; yours and KRiffhard's. Short and strong. Because of the Outtake Box Sets we have a glimpse into what was on the work table, and this makes it even harder for me to dig on official Voodoo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 28, 2018 16:14

For me, the album would have been better if it consisted only of these songs:

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "I Go Wild"
5. "Sweethearts Together"
6. "Baby Break It Down"
7. "Thru and Thru"
8. "Mean Disposition"

Date: September 28, 2018 16:17

matxil

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "I Go Wild"
6. "Baby Break It Down"
7. "Thru and Thru"
8. "Mean Disposition"

Not a big fan of Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 28, 2018 16:22

matxil

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "I Go Wild"
6. "Baby Break It Down"
7. "Thru and Thru"
8. "Mean Disposition"

I quite like that listing

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2018 17:04

DandelionPowderman
matxil

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "I Go Wild"
6. "Baby Break It Down"
7. "Thru and Thru"
8. "Mean Disposition"

Not a big fan of Voodoo Brew/Stew/Residue?

I don't like these reductionist procedures. Among the suggested eight songs number 2 and 4 to me are much too weak to be included in a reduced album. And if I still as an experiment should enter into such an approach just for the argument, I would suggest VOODOO LOUNGE reduced to a single of songs number 1 and 5 above and maybe STEEL WHEELS consisting of only one song, "Continental Drift". Likewise TATTOO YOU as a maxi single made up by for instance three songs at most,(sometimes only by "Waiting on a Friend"), whereas BETWEEN THE BUTTONS could not by me have been reduced by as much as one song.

I prefer to be somewhat critical to some songs rather than having them taken away. And no songs are leapt over by me, only that they may never be subject to immediate repetition, as a few songs songs may be by me from time to time. Recently much to my surprise I especially liked some detail never focused on by me with the song "Silver Train", towards which I usually am a little reserved. This time, however, I even repeated the listening of it. If I had practised that reductionist listening, I would not have gained the favourable reception of the song on this occasion, not knowing now afterwards whether that impression will last with me until the next time I confront myself with GOATS HEADS SOUP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-28 17:05 by Witness.

Date: September 28, 2018 17:08

Everything within its context, Witness smiling smiley

And did you actually have to confront yourself with GHS - is it that bad for your ears?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 28, 2018 17:12

Redhotcarpet
Here's mine:

That's hilarious! smileys with beer

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: September 28, 2018 17:39

As with B2B the thread has inspired a re-listen.

Overall sound is more Stonesy than B2B. More likely to listen to this one again. It's damn long though!

Love is Strong thumbs up Nice menace to this.
You Got Me Rocking thumbs up - in moderation anyway
Sparks Will Fly thumbs down for those lyrics. Redeemed by the energy so thumbs up
The Worst. Just OK
New Faces. Harks back to the 60s pop era, but with less charm. Interesting attempt but only OK
Moon Is Up. Again, attempting something different so no complaints. End result is only OK
Out of Tears. From anyone else it would have been a classic rock ballad. But we set the bar higher. Sound is very MOR for the Stones though, none of those rough edges you get on Wild Horses, YGTS or even Angie.
I Go Wild. Like the sound of this. Lyrics are so-so but thumbs up
Brand New Car. The entendres barely even reach the level of double but I remember this making me laugh the first time I heard it. Not exactly sophisticated but another good sounding one thumbs up
Sweethearts Together. If I want a lame 1950s pop ballad then I don't go to the Stones thumbs down
Suck on the Jugular. Don't mind a bit of funk but I don't really like the arrangement and I hate the backing chorus ("all get together and feel alright"). Coulda, shoulda but wasna - so thumbs down
Blinded By Rainbows. Again, would have been an seen as a classic from a lesser artist. Not keen on the a lush arrangement and the vocal style on this one. Lyrics are quite interesting so just scrapes a thumbs up
Break It Down. Doesn't add much to the album but it's OK. These days it would have been on the deluxe version of the album, not the main disc.
Thru and Thru. It's OK. Keith has better ballads
Mean Disposition. 1950s style but not as lame as Sweethearts. Unusual sound which works I think. Would be fun in a small club gig. Between OK and thumbs up.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 28, 2018 18:46

DandelionPowderman
Everything within its context, Witness smiling smiley

And did you actually have to confront yourself with GHS - is it that bad for your ears?

No, if that is the only natural reading of my post, then it is a result of language clumsiness on my part. It was an indirect way of referring to how I listen to The Stones or other music. As to the Stones, I don't ask myself what do I want to listen to that day. Instead I again and again run through their career studio and live, official and the few bootlegs that I have got, band releases and solo releases (by Mick, Keith, Ron (I have only five albums) one Mick Taylor album, I omit Bill, I have to admit). In that meaning I "confront myself" with Rolling Stones related music, for instance TATTOO YOU (no favourite of mine) no less than other issues. There are some live releases I have not bought, in fact.

As to GOATS HEAD SOUP, I like it maybe even better than how good I think it is. But I still think it is more than good, even approaching semi-great, but not great, as approximately twelve Stones studio albums are to me. I may some time want to leap over for instance TATTOO YOU and some other album, but I don't. In those situations I more compulsively still confront myself in the meaning you (and everybody else (?)) read that expression, with those albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-28 18:47 by Witness.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 28, 2018 20:04

"Love is Strong" works fine if I don't compare it to "Midnight Rambler" in the same fashion that the album works fine as The Stones in 1994 and not set against past glories. While the feel is similar to "Wicked As It Seems," Mick's blues harp transforms the track. Keith loves to take credit for getting Mick to play harp with the Stones, but Mick plays plenty of harp on his solo albums. In fact, with the exception of SHE'S THE BOSS' lone poor man's Sugar Blue moment, he usually plays more harp as a solo artist than he does with the Stones. Keith has a gift for making you believe his version of reality until you realize he's just a very gifted raconteur loaded with charisma. All is good here and Darryl seems to fit. The power behind Charlie's drumming and the mix Don Was went for is miles ahead of Kimsey's work on STEEL WHEELS and even the two new tracks on FLASHPOINT (which were an improvement in terms of band sound and playing as well, I'd argue).

"You Got Me Rocking" always took a beating from setlist whiners. I love the song. The weak part is the lyrics, but Mick employs the same old blues trick he did in "If I Was a Dancer" (compare the "If I Was a..." to the "I Was a..." here). What matters to me is the playing and this is Keith's last great anthemic riff. Ronnie's slide is gorgeous and, unlike "Rough Justice," seems to fit the song as more than an afterthought. Charlie's drumming is again, amazingly powerful and Darryl never sounded better than he does locked in with Charlie. It stands as a reminder that this was the last truly organic band effort with songs developed and arranged together that were then brought to life by a well-rehearsed band. There is a cohesiveness in sound and feel throughout the album that they never successfully captured again. They were determined not to let Bill's departure cripple them and then afterwards, likely because of sales according to Mick's 1995 Rolling Stone interview, the decision was that it wasn't worth so much effort if the results are static regardless.

"Sparks Will Fly" is another one that comes under fire. Apart from the idiotic "sharks will cry," I love this one. Great guitar and drum work throughout. Amazingly tight playing and Mick's vocals and lyrics work for me the same as they do on "Flip the Switch." I've said nothing about Bobby Womack, Bernard, and Ivan Neville's vocals thus far and I really should. This is the Steve Jordan tribal vocal approach and I think it works terrific. The days of Keith and Ronnie sharing the mike were gone after DIRTY WORK and this worked so much better here and on BRIDGES than the Mick on Mick backing vocals we've had since. Mick's backing vocals for himself in the 1970s were good enough to fool listeners. Since FOUR NEW LICKS, I'm painfully aware it's Mick backing Mick and some of the magic is lost.

"The Worst" is fine as filler. Nothing amazing. It's pleasant, mainly thanks to the Celtic touch and Mick's harmony vocal. I must admit the title bugs me. It should be "The Worst Kind of Guy" or "I am the Worst" or something. The shortened titles of later years often sound awkward (i.e. "Rain Fall Down" instead of "Watching the Rain Fall Down" or "Saint of Me" instead of "(You'll Never Make a) Saint of Me."). Yes, I obsess over little stuff.

I like "New Faces." It's spare, but powerful. It's an understated, unappreciated gem that deserves more attention for all Mick did with it. I've always liked Ronnie's remark it was about Kurt Cobain. I'm fairly certain it was Ronnie's last public comment about a new Stones song. Of course, he was part of the band here and not just a sideman coming in at the tail end to add his parts.

I think "Moon is Up" (yes, I add an article to the title in my head) is a mini-masterpiece. Deceptively simple, fun, a bit alchemical lyrically and musically. The fabric appears so thin, you're shocked to discover it isn't threadbare but actually woven of the highest quality. Yes, I think most people miss that this was all invention and chemistry from a tight band. I could play this every day and love it as much as "Out of Time," my favorite 1960s track most people don't know.

"Out of Tears" is a great ballad, a great performance on keyboards, and staggeringly effective vocals from Mick. This, "Almost Hear You Sigh," and "Already Over Me" showcase how amazing this man can be at delivering emotion. Jagger and Richards are terribly underrated as songwriters and Jagger is underrated as a singer. The only thing I find myself grumbling over is what happened to this side of Mick in the 21st Century? Apart from "Old Habits Die Hard" I've not heard a ballad from him that didn't make me squirm with discomfort. Hopefully the next album is a return to form. That said, Keith's "shove it in, pull it out" mock lyrics that Vigotone uncovered are hilarious.

"I Go Wild" to be perfectly honest sucks. There's some good lyrics here and there, but this is just forced, by the numbers rock that feels disingenuous. I have the same criticism of "Mother of a Man," but this is worse. Now that said, the Scott Litt remix is preferable to the album version and should be substituted on a future reissue. Sorry, Don.

"Brand New Car" is great sleazy fun. An infectious riff, a tight band, and lyrics that typify why Mick is Mick and quite likely why he and Keith connect in the first place. Another one that is deceptively simple and easy to miss the magic that snakes through the groove.

"Sweethearts Together" is still another underrated gem. Part of what I love about the album is these are true Jagger-Richards songs where you hear both men's musical DNA in the results and not one or the other or a compromise. The other part I love is that the band really worked these songs up as a band. That isn't something you can fake with Matt for all his training and expertise. That isn't something you can phone in from different parts of the world. It doesn't matter if it isn't the greatest song ever, it sounds like a band and I love it for it. Sadly, this was the first and last time the post-Wyman Stones were ever truly organic.

"Suck on the Jugular" may not have turned out as the jazzy number Keith envisioned and I'd still be curious to hear the "Holetown Prison" variation Mick originally had, but this is still a good solid funk number with great music, a killer bass, solid drumming, and infectious call and response vocals. Bobby, Bernard, and Ivan are the album's secret weapon and this might be their most effective moment. I think it's a true pity Ivan's coke problem prevented him from joining the tour. The thought of Ivan with Chuck (as we briefly heard at Guitar Legends in Seville 1991) might have changed the tour for the better. I say this as someone who thinks Chuck is treated unfairly by fans. If he wasn't up there to cover for guitar parts (or augment them in the arrangement - see "Sad, Sad, Sad" in concert), but instead played a real piano as he does on "Fancy Man Blues" or played tasteful organ as he does on the studio versions of "Harlem Shuffle" and "Mixed Emotions," I don't think anyone would have room to complain. The truth is without Chuck, their shows for the last 25 years would have appeared even more patchy. His is a necessary, though undesirable, role.
He is the safety net behind the band.

"Blinded by Rainbows" is generally dismissed as a Mick song. This is a bit odd considering without Mick, the Stones would have a cult following at best. Yes, I wish Mick and Keith's solo albums had been Stones albums, but I accept reality and would rather have more Jagger songs and more Richards songs than...well, what we have today. As to the song, I think it works well. It's thoughtful without seeming heavy-handed. It's beautifully played and produced. The pity with many of these latterday songs is the record label and the band play it safe and give people what sounds familiar and leave the actual risk-taking to the albums where they languish in obscurity. Of course, that path has made them far wealthier, but at the sacrifice of aritistic integrity. That said, they wouldn't be the Stones if they didn't dive in for the material and sensual and leave the rest to others to sort out.

"Baby, Break It Down" is another underappreciated number to me. It sounds a bit like Sheryl Crow of the period (not a bad thing) and is the most consciously 1990s Don Was retro production on the album, but it's a good riff and good playing. Benmont Tench (whose contributions here and on BRIDGES go unmentioned among fans) layers it with his signature sound and for a moment, you'd think Mac was with them on organ. I love it and it's message about collaborative tension (similar to the inferior "Low Down" on the next album).

"Through and Through" is the other disappointment on the album to me. It's dull. It meanders. Keith dropping an F-bomb isn't cause to cheer for me as it was for audiences at MSG in 2003. There's some real kick in the last couple minutes, but for me it's an avant garde piece that falls flat. It's everything "Moon is Up" isn't. My least favorite track on the album.

"Mean Disposition" brings happy memories of "Had It With You" and a near-perfect recollection of their Chess sides until...that fateful Davy Crockett reference which is the equal of the awful George Washington line in "Hold Back." Sharks can cry all day long (though physically impossible for them) if I don't have to hear bad U.S. History references that clunk so loudly it's still embarrassing decades after the fact. Somewhere, Chris Jagger is snickering that his brother took his suggestions.

"The Storm" is a wonderful B-side and too good to waste. I'd toss this in for "Through and Through" as the lead-up to "Mean Disposition."

"So Young" (despite starting at Pathe-Marconi) seems a proper part of the sessions to me. Bard will disagree, mark my words. I would substitute it for "I Go Wild." The versions they gave us in 2011 for SOME GIRLS DELUXE were no where near as good. Nice work, Mr. Kimsey who was credited as the sole producer here.

"Jump On Top of Me" is also too good to waste as a B-side. I'd put this before "The Storm" since together they're about the same length as "Through and Through." Keith wouldn't like losing a lead vocal and Jane would fight for it, but I'm really doing him a favor since his playing on both of these is far superior.

"I'm Gonna Drive" is B-side filler. Nothing special. Ronnie's brief harmony vocal is painful. There are some amusing lyrics scattered throughout, but not enough to spare it the dust heap.

Date: September 28, 2018 20:18

<So Young" (despite starting at Pathe-Marconi) seems a proper part of the sessions to me. Bard will disagree, mark my words. I would substitute it for "I Go Wild>

Not at all! See my "VL" above smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 28, 2018 20:36

Didn't Jump On Top Of Me end up on Robert Altman's Pret a Porter soundtrack?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 28, 2018 21:04

It was on the soundtrack and on the B-side of "You Got Me Rocking."

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 29, 2018 02:03

My Voodoo Lounge would be:

Just as it is.

It's like George Lucas messing with the Star Wars movies. My memories of "Voodoo Lounge" are tied to it being just how it is. I don't want to mess with it. I agree there are warts, but warts and all....I still spin it!

BUT

That said, I guess I kinda wish it ended with "Thru and Thru"...which I guess the vinyl does, so there's that. I do remember cringing a bit when I heard "Blinded By Rainbows", since, number 1, that's not really something that happens, and number 2, it was kinda close in name to "Blinded by Love" from SW. But those are small things.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 29, 2018 05:17

Regarding the finished tracks for the album...

Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain remix)
Jump On Top Of Me
The Storm
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild (Scott Litt remix)
The Worst
Baby Break It Down
Mean Disposition

Date: September 29, 2018 08:35

GasLightStreet
Regarding the finished tracks for the album...

Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain remix)
Jump On Top Of Me
The Storm
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild (Scott Litt remix)
The Worst
Baby Break It Down
Mean Disposition

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home