Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Date: October 14, 2015 11:51

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
If you rarely listen to something it certainly won't grow on you...

There is just as much consensus on Love Is Strong and The Worst being very good tracks as that of One Hit - maybe much more.

The Worst probably is The Best but c’mon – it’s a minor song, not even as good as Eileen, and the fact that a Keith Richards sung tune is the highlight of the album is the final proof of Voodoo Lounge’s shame.

Love Is Strong? It pushes all the right Stonesy buttons, I grant you that, but like Rough Justice is quickly forgotten because it's a rather shameless second-rate rehash of an old formula. One Hit and Sleep Tonight at least have staying power, in part because they’re not the least bit evocative of earlier Stones classics.

Happy and Coming Down Again are also highlights on their respective albums. The former even was single #2.

When Love Is Strong was performed in Oslo in 1998, people went crazy. Same with Out Of Control on the last tour.

And How Can I Stop is high up on my list of their best songs ever, so there are some nuggets in there also among their 90s material.

I have no trouble with your general view on this, of course. But the one who don't listen won't find... etc.

Happy and Coming Down Again are one of MANY highlights on their respective albums (and Keith was in good voice back then). So citing these songs is a tad disingenuous. The Worst is arguably the ONLY half-decent song on Voodoo Lounge and frankly it ranks below ‘Short And Curlies’ on my list of favorite Stones songs.

I have no doubt the Norwegians went crazy for Love Is Strong in 1998. Streets of Love was also well-received in Europe. Neither song is particularly good but in the party atmosphere of a concert rather than sit there and sulk I would’ve happily sung along too. But that’s not really the point. I appreciate that Love Is Strong has its admirers but there are at least as many people who find it formulaic and as desperate for attention as an inflated penis. But hey, Mick plays the harp on it so it can’t be all bad. I reckon I’ve listened to it at least 300 times but maybe I should give it another chance. (Actually if I’ve listened to it 300 times, I guess I must kinda like it. I just don’t think it’s a very good song, relatively speaking.)

LOL! It is you who thinks The Worst is poorer than Short And Curlies. You can't present that as an established truth grinning smiley

The Worst is not «the only half-decent» song on VL. And aren't there many formulaic and repetitive songs on Exile and GHS as well? It doesn't matter if the song moves you, does it? I can listen to Shake Your Hips, When The Whip Comes Down, Terrifying AND Love Is Strong all day. All great songs, imo, but from different eras.

The Stones have a problem, and that's partly due to that many fans of certain eras don't like them when they re-capture that sound again. What should they do? They can write better formulaic songs? Go for the melancholic orchestral approach? Play the blues?

No band is on top of their game all the time, but there are always good stuff to be found in the Stones's albums, imo.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 14, 2015 11:59

I love "Love Is Strong" but I think that its older brother "Wicked As It Seems" is edgier and stood better the test of time. Probably it would have been best if Keith kept the latter for the Stones, with Mick on vocals AND on harmonica (that would have worked nicely)!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 14, 2015 12:29

More and more I get the opinion, some people enjoy a lot being disappointed by 80s & 90s-Stones. They love to complain.

Btw, I do listen to the complete catalogue, there is not a single album that I do not listen to regularly (unlike some who listen to an album one time, do not like it for whatever reason and shelve it for the next 25 years. Those people do not even know the songs, all they know is they didnt like the album ages ago).

Imo, great songs can be found on every album, even on the weaker ones, like VL. VL gives the impression of being weak because there are so many fillers and it is simply too long. But on VL are not less outstanding tracks than on, say, Some Girls or almost any other Stones-album.

Well, I like my 60s-Stones, my 70s-Stones and I am not too narrow-minded to even love my 80s & 90s-Stones. In every decade you can find goodies as well as trash. Last but not least I do love Doom And Gloom, it´s a great, great song.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 14, 2015 16:21

My first album as a 'fan'. I bought it the day it came out, even listened some tracks of the album in a record store before it got officially released. They had a promo copy with a few songs of the VL album, which I was allowed to listen to one time.
I like the album very much, although I haven't listened to it a long time. I liked the songs on it, but Sparks Will Fly and Suck on the jugular where not my cup of tea. I really loved Moon Is Up, because they tried something new and different. Not a masterpiece, but overall a very enjoyable album

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2015 18:18

DandelionPowderman

There is just as much consensus on Love Is Strong and The Worst being very good tracks as that of One Hit - maybe much more.

Love Is Strong and The Worst are definitely better songs than One Hit by a long shot. Sweet Neo Con is better than One Hit and Sweet Neo Con sucks!

Date: October 14, 2015 18:21

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

The Worst probably is The Best but c’mon – it’s a minor song, not even as good as Eileen, and the fact that a Keith Richards sung tune is the highlight of the album is the final proof of Voodoo Lounge’s shame.

Love Is Strong? It pushes all the right Stonesy buttons, I grant you that, but like Rough Justice is quickly forgotten because it's a rather shameless second-rate rehash of an old formula. One Hit and Sleep Tonight at least have staying power, in part because they’re not the least bit evocative of earlier Stones classics.

Eh, I guess you missed the reviews that instantly compared One Hit to Street Fighting Man simply because of the acoustic intro... and Sleep Tonight, while being a nice song, is just a rip off - an exact copy - of the bridge from Coming Down. Sure, Love Is Strong is just Wicked As It Seems but at least it's good. It's not great, true, but it's got a bit of an attitude to it that works.

Not live though. Live it was horrendous.

Date: October 14, 2015 18:22

Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Wild Slivovitz
"Honest Man" is another one.

That one isn't on the boots I have so I forgot about it.

However, it's not... even barely good, really. It IS just a revamp of Sweet Thing! And Mick says 'danger zone'... really bad.

Honest Man has a nice groove. I don't have any Jagger solo so not really familiar with Sweet Thing. Does Keith play guitar on Honest Man, I always thought so?

A nice groove is irrelevant when a song sucks. Honest Man sucks. It sounds like a goddamned Kenny Loggins song. It's HORRIBLE.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 14, 2015 18:48

Guitars sound great, but the songs as a whole are pretty sub-par. Mostly filler, over-rated among fans, if any band playing a bar to 20 people came out with lyrics as awful as Love Is Strong or Sparks Will Fly, they would be laughed off the stage.

Not only does it rank poorly among Stones albums, this probably wasn't even the best album I bought that week.

Date: October 14, 2015 18:53

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Wild Slivovitz

However, it's not... even barely good, really. It IS just a revamp of Sweet Thing! And Mick says 'danger zone'... really bad.

Honest Man has a nice groove. I don't have any Jagger solo so not really familiar with Sweet Thing. Does Keith play guitar on Honest Man, I always thought so?

A nice groove is irrelevant when a song sucks. Honest Man sucks. It sounds like a goddamned Kenny Loggins song. It's HORRIBLE.

Mick on guitar on HM.

Date: October 15, 2015 03:15

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Wild Slivovitz

Mick on guitar on HM.

Irrelevant! SUCKS!

Date: October 15, 2015 08:47

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Wild Slivovitz

Mick on guitar on HM.

Irrelevant! SUCKS!

The song or the information smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:24

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

Happy and Coming Down Again are also highlights on their respective albums. The former even was single #2.

When Love Is Strong was performed in Oslo in 1998, people went crazy. Same with Out Of Control on the last tour.

And How Can I Stop is high up on my list of their best songs ever, so there are some nuggets in there also among their 90s material.

I have no trouble with your general view on this, of course. But the one who don't listen won't find... etc.

Happy and Coming Down Again are one of MANY highlights on their respective albums (and Keith was in good voice back then). So citing these songs is a tad disingenuous. The Worst is arguably the ONLY half-decent song on Voodoo Lounge and frankly it ranks below ‘Short And Curlies’ on my list of favorite Stones songs.

I have no doubt the Norwegians went crazy for Love Is Strong in 1998. Streets of Love was also well-received in Europe. Neither song is particularly good but in the party atmosphere of a concert rather than sit there and sulk I would’ve happily sung along too. But that’s not really the point. I appreciate that Love Is Strong has its admirers but there are at least as many people who find it formulaic and as desperate for attention as an inflated penis. But hey, Mick plays the harp on it so it can’t be all bad. I reckon I’ve listened to it at least 300 times but maybe I should give it another chance. (Actually if I’ve listened to it 300 times, I guess I must kinda like it. I just don’t think it’s a very good song, relatively speaking.)

LOL! It is you who thinks The Worst is poorer than Short And Curlies. You can't present that as an established truth grinning smiley

The Worst is not «the only half-decent» song on VL. And aren't there many formulaic and repetitive songs on Exile and GHS as well? It doesn't matter if the song moves you, does it? I can listen to Shake Your Hips, When The Whip Comes Down, Terrifying AND Love Is Strong all day. All great songs, imo, but from different eras.

The Stones have a problem, and that's partly due to that many fans of certain eras don't like them when they re-capture that sound again. What should they do? They can write better formulaic songs? Go for the melancholic orchestral approach? Play the blues?

No band is on top of their game all the time, but there are always good stuff to be found in the Stones's albums, imo.

No, I merely said I prefer Short And Curlies to The Worst. You are of course free to champion The Worst as a brilliant song on one of their most essential albums. But which of us sounds crazier?

I’ll admit that I’m probably predisposed to disliking anything written after 1981 but there is a mammoth drop in quality after that point, especially lyric-wise, that is obvious to all but the most undiscerning/deluded fans. Which isn’t to deny that latter day albums contain some ‘good stuff’ – the harmonizing between Mick & Keith in The Worst is definitely ‘good stuff’ (although it’s bittersweet because one wishes they’d do it more often like in the golden years) but it’s only an average song and, like every other song on Voodoo Lounge, completely unessential. I would caution you against calling anything on that album ‘great’...I suggest you use more vague adjectives such as ‘peachy’ or ‘slightly curved.’

Finally, I don’t think Exile or GHS contain any formulaic songs in that the Stones sound continued to evolve from 68-73. They of course were influenced by various genres of music and I suppose a song is ‘formulaic’ by nature but by the 90s - perhaps inevitably – the Stones have no real direction. And sadly pretty much everything they tried sounds slightly phony. Your point is taken though – they’re in a no-win situation when it comes to fans like me. But FWIW, I loved Plunder My Soul.

Date: October 15, 2015 09:28

GasLightStreet
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

Eh, I guess you missed the reviews that instantly compared One Hit to Street Fighting Man simply because of the acoustic intro... and Sleep Tonight, while being a nice song, is just a rip off - an exact copy - of the bridge from Coming Down. Sure, Love Is Strong is just Wicked As It Seems but at least it's good. It's not great, true, but it's got a bit of an attitude to it that works.

Er, no, I don’t recall any reviews that noted similarities between One Hit and Street Fighting Man but were you to show me one I would dismiss it as incredible nonsense. On the other hand, I do recall the Sleep Tonight/Coming Down Again connection. Still, neither One Hit nor Sleep Tonight (the latter’s unoriginal aspects notwithstanding) sound like obvious attempts to repackage that classic Stones sound the way Love Is Strong so shamelessly does. Which isn’t to say I think One Hit is a masterpiece, I don’t even care for it that much, but to me they weren’t pandering to the masses when they wrote it and thus I value it more.

Date: October 15, 2015 09:31

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Wild Slivovitz

Cool out, man. If you have a conniption fit over a song that didn’t even make the album you must really flip out over a lot of the ones that did. Besides, Honest Man is only half bad which is ‘great’ in DandelionPowderman's world. Sounds like Charlie on guitar though.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 15, 2015 10:21

Swayed1967
GasLightStreet
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

Er, no, I don’t recall any reviews that noted similarities between One Hit and Street Fighting Man but were you to show me one I would dismiss it as incredible nonsense. On the other hand, I do recall the Sleep Tonight/Coming Down Again connection. Still, neither One Hit nor Sleep Tonight (the latter’s unoriginal aspects notwithstanding) sound like obvious attempts to repackage that classic Stones sound the way Love Is Strong so shamelessly does. Which isn’t to say I think One Hit is a masterpiece, I don’t even care for it that much, but to me they weren’t pandering to the masses when they wrote it and thus I value it more.

I disagree. To me, "Love Is Strong" does not do this. The song that more than most does, and indeed shamelessly, too, is instead "Start Me Up".

Date: October 15, 2015 10:34

Swayed1967
GasLightStreet
Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

From where did you come up with this? What's shameless? That the two first chords are reminiscent of those of Wicked As it Seems? If we go that route, we'll find that a lot of the classic open G-songs in the golden era are VERY CLOSELY related. Did people complain back then? Do we complain now? No, not really.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 10:39

DandelionPowderman

From where did you come up with this? What's shameless? That the two first chords are reminiscent of those of Wicked As it Seems? If we go that route, we'll find that a lot of the classic open G-songs in the golden era are VERY CLOSELY related. Did people complain back then? Do we complain now? No, not really.

I have the same quarrel with Love Is Strong, although I think calling it shameless might be a bit of an overstatement. To me, it sounds like a very good Stones cover band trying to venture out and do an original song of their own using what they learned from covering Stones songs. I think "lazy" might be a better word than "shameless".

I also think that lyrically the Stones songs really suffer from the 80s on, which I also attribute to laziness.

Date: October 15, 2015 10:44

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I have the same quarrel with Love Is Strong, although I think calling it shameless might be a bit of an overstatement. To me, it sounds like a very good Stones cover band trying to venture out and do an original song of their own using what they learned from covering Stones songs. I think "lazy" might be a better word than "shameless".

I also think that lyrically the Stones songs really suffer from the 80s on, which I also attribute to laziness.

I know what you mean, of course, but then you gotta be honest and say the same about If You Can't Rock Me, Hand Of Fate, Before They Make Me Run (nothing wrong with the lyrics here, btw!) and Start Me Up as well. Do we NEED to do that? IMO, we don't. It's only rock'n'roll, it doesn't have to be King Crimson-esque Moonlight Miles every time smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 10:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2015 10:48

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I know what you mean, of course, but then you gotta be honest and say the same about If You Can't Rock Me, Hand Of Fate, Before They Make Me Run and Start Me Up as well. Do we NEED to do that? IMO, we don't. It's only rock'n'roll, it doesn't have to be King Crimson-esque Moonlight Miles every time smiling smiley

i have said the same things about if you can't rock me and hand of fate :-)

before they make me run is different, IMO, because the lyrical content of the song is very compelling, and of course his singing is so unorthodox on that song that it makes a song with a simple riff interesting.

start me up to me is a truly great song because it represents the pinnacle of the "stones by numbers", the perfection of the form, and truly a master performance by all members of the band. the lyrics are dumb, but that's ok, mick's voice is really just another instrument playing around the rhythm. that's not what he's doing in "love is strong".

to me the issue isn't the open tuning or the trademark hammer-on (forget the right technical term for it), the issue goes much deeper than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 10:49 by Turner68.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:00

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

To me, it sounds like a very good Stones cover band trying to venture out and do an original song of their own using what they learned from covering Stones songs. I think "lazy" might be a better word than "shameless".

THIS! Thank you, Turner, you've nailed it.
And worst of all, Jagger takes his vocal cues from 'Dancing With Mr. D.'

Date: October 15, 2015 11:03

you're so right about dancing with mr. d. it's mick's "i'm dangerous" voice but it always comes off as silly.

every great performer needs someone to tell them when they're screwing up (because everyone else is telling them that they can do no wrong). i think mick stopped having that, or stopped listening, somewhere along the way.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:20

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I know what you mean, of course, but then you gotta be honest and say the same about If You Can't Rock Me, Hand Of Fate, Before They Make Me Run and Start Me Up as well. Do we NEED to do that? IMO, we don't. It's only rock'n'roll, it doesn't have to be King Crimson-esque Moonlight Miles every time smiling smiley

i have said the same things about if you can't rock me and hand of fate :-)

before they make me run is different, IMO, because the lyrical content of the song is very compelling, and of course his singing is so unorthodox on that song that it makes a song with a simple riff interesting.

start me up to me is a truly great song because it represents the pinnacle of the "stones by numbers", the perfection of the form, and truly a master performance by all members of the band. the lyrics are dumb, but that's ok, mick's voice is really just another instrument playing around the rhythm. that's not what he's doing in "love is strong".

to me the issue isn't the open tuning or the trademark hammer-on (forget the right technical term for it), the issue goes much deeper than that.

I like Mick's vocals on Love Is Strong. And remember, it was kinda new at the time that he did the lower register voice for more than a couple of seconds (like on Down In The Hole, Emotional Rescue and All The Way Down).

So, there really is a new dimension to this track that people call shameless...

Date: October 15, 2015 11:22

Swayed1967
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

To me, it sounds like a very good Stones cover band trying to venture out and do an original song of their own using what they learned from covering Stones songs. I think "lazy" might be a better word than "shameless".

THIS! Thank you, Turner, you've nailed it.
And worst of all, Jagger takes his vocal cues from 'Dancing With Mr. D.'

How on earth do you hear that? confused smiley

To me, the dark voice on LIS was a new dimension that worked well and really coloured this song. It gave it a REAL dark atmosphere, unlike Mr. D, which is all fake, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 11:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:25

"don't stop" is shameless. "love is strong" is just lazy.

"trouble" has much more going on and is more interesting, although it is also a relatively simple song.

i actually think trouble is better than any single from the stones since "harlem shuffle".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 11:26 by Turner68.

Date: October 15, 2015 11:33

Turner68
"don't stop" is shameless. "love is strong" is just lazy.

"trouble" has much more going on and is more interesting, although it is also a relatively simple song.

i actually think trouble is better than any single from the stones since "harlem shuffle".

Well, for fulfilling a single's purpose I'd say that LIS, Anybody Seen My Baby and Saint Of Me are better. However, the two latter don't really sound like the Stones, and there aren't many band members playing a lot on them, either.

Love Is Strong is all Keith, Mick and Charlie. They usually give me the sound I like – and those guitars (I know Ronnie is credited on some sites, but none of the electric guitars are him) and drums sure sound like the real Stones to me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 11:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: October 15, 2015 11:54

Turner68
you're so right about dancing with mr. d. it's mick's "i'm dangerous" voice but it always comes off as silly.

yes. When he tries too hard to be cool.

The same thing with a lot of his moves on stage in the last 25 years.

It works a lot better on "Flip the Switch" though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-15 11:56 by Tops.

Date: October 15, 2015 12:09

Tops
Turner68

yes. When he tries too hard to be cool.

The same thing with a lot of his moves on stage in the last 25 years.

It works a lot better on "Flip the Switch" though...

But there is no «dangerous voice» on Flip The Switch?

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: October 15, 2015 12:28

DandelionPowderman

Not like in LIS. But to some extent...it is. It works better because he isn't trying too hard.

Date: October 15, 2015 12:51

Tops
DandelionPowderman

Not like in LIS. But to some extent...it is. It works better because he isn't trying too hard.

I think he tries too hard on Dancing With Mr. D, succeeds on LIS and is just singing normally on Flip The Switch.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 15, 2015 13:02

Tops
DandelionPowderman

Where I in much of the preceding liked Dandelion's points of view, here I have to admit that I cannot follow either of you. In passing then towards your exchange of views, I only remark: Rather than finding Mick's voice dangerous on "Love Is Strong", I simply hear it as highly emotionally compelling in a most attractive way. That is then to me the thrill on this extra-musical level of this beautifully fresh song.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home