Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 14, 2016 14:46

jambay
GasLightStreet
Grow up or get over yerself, just pick one.

You just cant help but be an insulting troll, eh? Pathetic

And when BV comes along, I hope he looks over all of this and understands my objective here is help IORR be a place where new people can come, sign up and post fun things about the Rolling Stones without instantly being shouted down and pummeled by the local troll.
welcome to the internets. Gls is not a troll btw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-14 14:48 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: August 14, 2016 15:29

Ivy League is good?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 14, 2016 20:48

DandelionPowderman
VOODOO LOUNGE

Pre-production:

April 20-Mid-May 1993: Blue Wave Studios, Barbados
July 9-August 6, 1993: Sandymount Studios, Ron Wood's home, St. Kildare, Ireland

Recorded:

Early September-September 29, 1993: Sandymount Studios, Ron Wood's home, St. Kildare, Ireland
November 3-December 11, 1993: Windmill Lane Recording Studio, Dublin, Ireland

Overdubbed & mixed:

January 15-February 28, 1994: Don Was' private studio, Los Angeles, USA
March 1-30, 1994: A&M Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA
April 10-24, 1994: A&M Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA
Late April 1994: Right Track Studios, New York City

Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Don Smith
Mixer: Don Smith
Released: July 1994
Original label: Virgin Records

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Darryl Jones, Chuck Leavell, Bernard Fowler, Ivan Neville, Benmont Tench, Lenny Castro, Luis Jardim, David McMurray, Mark Isham, Phil Jones, Flaco Jimenez, Max Baca, Frankie Gavin, Pierre de Beauport, Bobby Womack, David Campbell (arranger).

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
New Faces
Moon Is Up
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
Sweethearts Together
Suck on the Jugular
Blinded By Rainbows
Baby Break It Down
Thru and Thru
Mean Disposition

What are your thoughts on this album?

My very favorite of all their albums!!!

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 14, 2016 21:02

VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
VOODOO LOUNGE

Pre-production:

April 20-Mid-May 1993: Blue Wave Studios, Barbados
July 9-August 6, 1993: Sandymount Studios, Ron Wood's home, St. Kildare, Ireland

Recorded:

Early September-September 29, 1993: Sandymount Studios, Ron Wood's home, St. Kildare, Ireland
November 3-December 11, 1993: Windmill Lane Recording Studio, Dublin, Ireland

Overdubbed & mixed:

January 15-February 28, 1994: Don Was' private studio, Los Angeles, USA
March 1-30, 1994: A&M Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA
April 10-24, 1994: A&M Recording Studios, Los Angeles, USA
Late April 1994: Right Track Studios, New York City

Producers: Don Was & The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Don Smith
Mixer: Don Smith
Released: July 1994
Original label: Virgin Records

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood, Darryl Jones, Chuck Leavell, Bernard Fowler, Ivan Neville, Benmont Tench, Lenny Castro, Luis Jardim, David McMurray, Mark Isham, Phil Jones, Flaco Jimenez, Max Baca, Frankie Gavin, Pierre de Beauport, Bobby Womack, David Campbell (arranger).

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
New Faces
Moon Is Up
Out of Tears
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
Sweethearts Together
Suck on the Jugular
Blinded By Rainbows
Baby Break It Down
Thru and Thru
Mean Disposition

What are your thoughts on this album?

My very favorite of all their albums!!!
thumbs up smileys with beer It is a good one!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2016 22:06

DandelionPowderman
Ivy League is good?

Yes. The better of the takes is known as Hold On You. It's a shame they didn't finish it... if they didn't.

[www.youtube.com]

There are two with the same titles that are different songs for some reason...

This one called It's Funny [www.youtube.com]
is not the same as the really cool one that Keith did called It's Funny [www.youtube.com]

Of course, the best one is You Got It Made. This one features the two bootlegs put together, one which is just Keith and Ronnie doing the harmonies...

[www.youtube.com]

The track without the harmonies: [www.youtube.com]

There were a handful that were great ideas that could've been pretty damn good songs had they finished them. But there are some others that some might say sound too similar to Baby Break It Down etc, like Make It Now: [www.youtube.com]

Date: August 14, 2016 22:11

They started recording the LP at Ronnie's where they tracked 14 songs, 2 of which made it as B-sides, I'm Gonna Drive and Jump On Top Of Me.

They fully fledged tracked 20 songs at Windmill, 15 of which made the LP, 1 of which made it as a B-side (The Storm).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 14, 2016 22:44

I love it. It's great and has strong tracks all the way up to, and including, I Go Wild. From there it goes downhill somewhat. A redeemer is Thru & Thru though. It's not my favorite latter day album. That's Bridges To Babylon. VL is the second best though. It suffers from the same thing all their latter albums suffer from: They're too long. It's the case with all 4 albums since, and including, Steel Wheels. Imagine how great it'd be with Sweethearts Together, Suck On The Jugular, Baby Break It Down and Brand New Car taken out (Not counting the bonus track Mean Disposition). I'd add in The Storm btw. Love that track.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 14, 2016 22:52

This is great... Charlie. "He's a very nice man as well, have you spoken to 'im?"

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 14, 2016 22:58

That's a "zombie" on the cover of the LP?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 14, 2016 23:28

Some VL songs make great additions to the soundtrack to the movie "The Replacements".

I like the movie and love it when the Stones songs kick in out of the blue.

Date: August 14, 2016 23:53

The mindset for VOODOO LOUNGE seemed a bit more... open.

A lot (of the arrangements) were worked out before (we went into the studio). We would revise them also in the studio; we would change them, shorten them. I know in my own mind what I think should be happening, but I leave them open just in case someone comes along with a really good idea. I don't want to be close-minded, because sometimes people come up with really good ideas. If you think, Oh, it's going to go this way, you've closed your mind up to them.
- Mick Jagger, June 1994

(Laughs) Yeah, there were a few intense moments. I don't particularly enjoy intense moments. People get very wound up about their songs. I do. Very precious. Very proprietorial. Everyone's playing them wrong. Play it faster, Keith, for Christ's sake, we can't play it this slow, everyone is falling @#$%& asleep! That was the source of some interesting discussions with Keith. Because if it doesn't get me up on to my feet then I get bored. But Keith just like things too slow and sometimes I have to give in and let him have his... slow things.
- Mick Jagger, June 1994

Mick likes things too fast. He's always been like that. He wants it all to be like it is live. If he had his way, our albums would be over in seconds. Zzzzzp! I like to have that buzz from the tempo. I hate things going too fast. But tempo isn't such a bad thing to argue about. I reckon with 95% of things to do with the Stones, Mick and I agree.
- Keith Richards, June 1994

You just try to find what feels natural for the song... Just lay the guitars down and do as many parts as you like. In the mix you can use a bar of it here, a bar of it there. When you're listening to basic tracks, you're listening to what's not there and for SHOULD be there. You're following some little picture in your mind or in the ear that says That's funky, but it needs something that rings a little bit at the top. If you've the songs, you can overdub as much as you like. You have to be judicious in your editing and mixing.
- Keith Richards, June 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

The mindset for BRIDGES TO BABYLON was oddly opposite considering Mick and Keith agreed to working on the LP in different ways.

...if I write a song, or Keith writes a song, or we write one together, if I see it one way, I want to try it. I don't want to be some committee where everyone has 10 cents' worth of it. That's the bad part of being in a band. But if you have an idea of what a song should sound like, I want to be able to try it that way. So that's what I said; everyone seemed to agree with that.
- Mick Jagger, July 1997

I had written a lot of songs coming into this project that I'd already done. I'd written them and they were all finished and completed. I didn't really necessarily know we were going to do a Stones record at that point... (I wrote) Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint of Me... Gunface, Out of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced.
- Mick Jagger 1997

For the recording of Bridges to Babylon, Mick and I agreed that instead of us coming together, he would cut some tracks his way and I'd cut some tracks my way. We hadn't tried that before; I wanted to see how Mick would take that idea and he took it a lot further than I expected. I had no idea that Mick thought that meant he had a licence to have a different producer for every song. Which was not quite what I had in mind. There seemed to be producers coming and going all the time. Meanwhile I was just working with Don Was. It was an intersteing experiment and I like the album - you can sense the diversity and the division - but it did create a bit of a rickety bridge between us. But there's always a point in each alcum whee we have a bridge to cross.
- Keith Richards, 2003

Actually, I had very little to do with (the Dust Brothers). I'm like, What do you want me to do? And they're like, Oh, just do what you always do. I'm thinking, That's PRODUCING?
- Keith Richards, September 1997

(Keith) doesn't really get along with people very often, you know. He takes a stand against people... He worked with Don a lot.
- Mick Jagger, September 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 15, 2016 00:12

alimente
HMS
Besides Honest Man there´s nothing to be found on Stew/Brew/Residue that´s worth to be released. 95 % is just embryonic basic tracks, rhythmn tracks, sketches and half-baked song-ideas never finished. A few songs are semi-finished, but they are sub-standard-material. Much of the material I guess is just jamming around while waiting on some band-member. Tapes were rolling all the time, that´s why we got this material on bootlegs, but in reality it´s a ton of crap, if you ask me.

Sad but true. Add You Got It Made to Honest Man as songs with any potential and there you have it. There are some interesting different takes of the released songs though that I would not want to miss. But there's simply nothing there in the song sketches that indicates that we lost some classics or that the Stones made some fatally wrong decisions choosing the songs for the album (apart from the two I already mentioned, maybe).

No, I stand by my words that the real tragedy with VL is the fact that Mick and Keith "wasted" some of their best songs at the time for solo projects.
and they werent very good either.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 15, 2016 00:42

Interesting quotes (above) about the different mindsets between VL and SW.
Personally I like it better when the collaborate ... when Mick lets Keith have it his way sometime, or when Keith takes a back seat and supports the song even if he doesn't like it, which he has done plenty.
Very interesting personal dynamics between them; of course we can only guess at what goes on from the clues provided in various interviews. And producers and engineers are very careful not to say too much.
I am most interested in the Stones as artists, (the WSJ articles about the making of SFM and Moonlit Mile were fascinating) and I hope someday we'll learn more about their whole songwriting and record making process. There is always far too much copy about their images and not enough about their artistry.
Fwiw, on Voodoo, I respect that they appear to have gone in their and done their best to work together, and I'm good with the result.

Date: August 15, 2016 01:00

wonderboy
Very interesting personal dynamics between them; of course we can only guess at what goes on from the clues provided in various interviews. And producers and engineers are very careful not to say too much.

That's a great point. It's just so weird that the 1968-1972 recording sessions through GOATS HEAD SOUP seem to have been, for the most part anyway, quite the involvement between the two of them and the engineers and producer all having some sort of role that worked for the music. Then it's not quite clear, which the sound of IORR can attest to, perhaps, but clearly after BLACK AND BLUE and LOVE YOU LIVE with Keith's bottoming out something really changed and suddenly there was more Yes than No, with the exception being Chris Kimsey up through UNDERCOVER possibly, certainly with TATTOO YOU he was in some kind bizarre "in charge" situation regarding what the hell would be the new album, TATTOO YOU, and they, mainly Mick, went along with it.

That's just weird.

Since then it's been nothing but Yes people it seems and the music, the albums, in general, has suffered for it. Which may explain the all over the board songs of VOODOO and BRIDGES. Perhaps the entire embodiment of 'the Stones, man' overpowered any kind of sense regarding making albums.

wonderboy
I am most interested in the Stones as artists, (the WSJ articles about the making of SFM and Moonlit Mile were fascinating) and I hope someday we'll learn more about their whole songwriting and record making process. There is always far too much copy about their images and not enough about their artistry.

THAT is more interesting than power struggles and overdose surviving or how many children someone has fathered or "the marriage" and the money... What about the music!? The bevy of recorded material that's not released has to be explored way more so than it has been. And the ways and sounds of things they did, like you mentioned.

wonderboy
Fwiw, on Voodoo, I respect that they appear to have gone in their and done their best to work together, and I'm good with the result.

I certainly felt that way in 1994 and 1995 but since then... it's just weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-15 01:02 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 15, 2016 01:54

DandelionPowderman
Ivy League is good?

Listening to it again, I have to agree, at least to a certain extent. Let's say Ivy League/Hold On You sounds quite promising, but without any vocals to speak of it's impossible to make a final judgement.

I tend to think that the rough ideas that the Stones don't develop any further stay rough ideas for a reason, no matter what we may think of them. My band recorded tons of "interesting moments" developed out of jamming around, but in many cases things did not work out when the moment came to create songs out of them. Consequently, they fell to the wayside at one point or another. It does not mean that the rough sketches were actually bad, yet somehow they never developed into songs. I remember that one time I actually compiled a "best of" tape of these things to see if something could be done with them with new insights or trying out new angles after a couple of years of distance to the original recording, but nothing ever came out of it.

Things like these happen. Even with the Stones!

Date: August 15, 2016 16:24

alimente
DandelionPowderman
Ivy League is good?

Listening to it again, I have to agree, at least to a certain extent. Let's say Ivy League/Hold On You sounds quite promising, but without any vocals to speak of it's impossible to make a final judgement.

I tend to think that the rough ideas that the Stones don't develop any further stay rough ideas for a reason, no matter what we may think of them. My band recorded tons of "interesting moments" developed out of jamming around, but in many cases things did not work out when the moment came to create songs out of them. Consequently, they fell to the wayside at one point or another. It does not mean that the rough sketches were actually bad, yet somehow they never developed into songs. I remember that one time I actually compiled a "best of" tape of these things to see if something could be done with them with new insights or trying out new angles after a couple of years of distance to the original recording, but nothing ever came out of it.

Too Tough was a rough idea that they went back to.

Loving Cup was a rough idea that they went back to.

Slave was a rough idea.

Worried About You was a rough idea.

Start Me Up was a rough idea.

Tumbling Dice.

Street Fighting Man.

The difference with the VOODOO etc sessions is they're not in a studio every year like they were in the 1960s and 1970s when rough ideas would be reviewed and, more than not possibly, worked on.

So that's one reason why nothing's ever happened with them!

Date: August 15, 2016 18:13

There was some great hype with VOODOO...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 16, 2016 05:46

GasLightStreet
alimente
DandelionPowderman
Ivy League is good?

Too Tough was a rough idea that they went back to.

Loving Cup was a rough idea that they went back to.

Slave was a rough idea.

Worried About You was a rough idea.

Start Me Up was a rough idea.

Tumbling Dice.

Street Fighting Man.

The difference with the VOODOO etc sessions is they're not in a studio every year like they were in the 1960s and 1970s when rough ideas would be reviewed and, more than not possibly, worked on.

So that's one reason why nothing's ever happened with them!

Absolutely! But I was talking about those rough ideas that never materialized as finished songs. Oh, and in some cases even further, even repeated work obviously did not help certain stuff to finally make the grade - Munich Hilton, Still In Love, Gangster's Moll (amongst others) come to mind.

Date: August 16, 2016 17:10

It's perhaps an interesting aspect to some of the Stones' unreleased material being more interesting than some of the finished tracks on the albums it was recorded for, like what they did for SOME GIRLS with Fiji Jim, The Way She Held Me Tight etc and EMOTIONAL RESCUE with Not The Way To Go, I'll Let You Know.

So is the case with the VOODOO leftovers.

For some people, anyway.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:28

All these bootlegs floating around containing unfinished songs, sketches & leftovers from the 70s-90s are horrible. Almost nothing of this stuff is worth a dime. You listen to this work-in-progress because you´ve never heard it before but when it´s over you´re glad it´s over.

Criss Cross Man, Munich Trousers, Finji Jim and on and on - just crap. Even the Dirty-Work-outtakes and leftovers are poor.

Date: August 16, 2016 17:40

HMS, You don't even like this DW-outtake??

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 16, 2016 18:01

DandelionPowderman
HMS, You don't even like this DW-outtake??

[www.youtube.com]

Way too repetitive... gets boring after a while. Yes, it has some potential but it is too much in the very same spirit of "Sleep Tonight". That´s a problem with most of these outtakes from whatever period - most of them are "step-brothers" of officially released tracks.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 16, 2016 18:22

GasLightStreet
I HAVE this. I bought it back in 1996 at a record store...I saw it and NEEDED it. Borrowed money from a friend on the spot to make sure I didn't lose it. It's a metal sign...still have it.

Date: August 16, 2016 18:24

Cool! I managed to find the big bunny zombie whatever cardboard cut out and the mobile. I dunno what happened to 'em.

Date: August 16, 2016 18:25

HMS
All these bootlegs floating around containing unfinished songs, sketches & leftovers from the 70s-90s are horrible. Almost nothing of this stuff is worth a dime. You listen to this work-in-progress because you´ve never heard it before but when it´s over you´re glad it´s over.

Criss Cross Man, Munich Trousers, Finji Jim and on and on - just crap. Even the Dirty-Work-outtakes and leftovers are poor.

Date: August 16, 2016 18:54

If I wasn´t a fan, I wouldn´t listen to those outtakes.
But I have to confess: Usually I do it only once.
Reasons:
-mostly poor sound-quality
-mostly musically poor stuff

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 16, 2016 19:09

Some of the voodoo bootleg stuff I like much more than the official polished product.

Date: August 18, 2016 03:28

HMS
Reasons:

Obviously you can't HEAR what's going on.

Go listen to Winning Ugly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2016 05:30

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
I HAVE this. I bought it back in 1996 at a record store...I saw it and NEEDED it. Borrowed money from a friend on the spot to make sure I didn't lose it. It's a metal sign...still have it.

I have this as well which I got from a local liquor store in '94, but mine is cardboard and about two feet high.
I also have the mobile hanging from the ceiling of my art studio which was given to me as a birthday gift from my brother - also in '94.

Date: August 18, 2016 12:36

GasLightStreet
HMS
Reasons:

Obviously you can't HEAR what's going on.

Go listen to Winning Ugly.

Why wasting time listening to awful bad-sounding outtake-bootlegs? Even if the sound is good just like Redidue/Stew/Brew, it´s musically d-grade. A waste of time. They have so many officially released recordings full of musically gems and great sounding, I prefer to listen to that instead of useless crap in poor telephone-sound-quality.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 9 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home