Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 18, 2016 16:15

GasLightStreet
It's perhaps an interesting aspect to some of the Stones' unreleased material being more interesting than some of the finished tracks on the albums it was recorded for, like what they did for SOME GIRLS with Fiji Jim, The Way She Held Me Tight etc and EMOTIONAL RESCUE with Not The Way To Go, I'll Let You Know.

So is the case with the VOODOO leftovers.

For some people, anyway.

They even returned to Fiji Jim (amongst So Young, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, Shame Shame Shame according to Kimnsey) in 1993 as possible choices for VL single b-side tracks, but it did not appear back then (only So Young did), furthermore, it was not even considered for Some Girls deluxe.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2016 17:49

keefriff99
I HAVE this. I bought it back in 1996 at a record store...I saw it and NEEDED it. Borrowed money from a friend on the spot to make sure I didn't lose it. It's a metal sign...still have it.

Yes, the metal sign, i have 2 or 3 of them, got them from someone I knew at Anheuser-Busch (along with a ton of other voodoo Anheuser-Busch promo items). I always wondered if they were worth anything. I'll sell it to the first offer of $1000!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 18, 2016 18:31

LeonidP
keefriff99
I HAVE this. I bought it back in 1996 at a record store...I saw it and NEEDED it. Borrowed money from a friend on the spot to make sure I didn't lose it. It's a metal sign...still have it.

Yes, the metal sign, i have 2 or 3 of them, got them from someone I knew at Anheuser-Busch (along with a ton of other voodoo Anheuser-Busch promo items). I always wondered if they were worth anything. I'll sell it to the first offer of $1000!
I don't even know how it ended up for sale in the mall where I lived. I can't remember exactly which store it was...it was either the record store or a collectible/comic type store.

I've treasured it ever since. It's the one thing I've always had hanging up and displayed wherever I've lived.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2016 21:33

keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

I don't even know how it ended up for sale in the mall where I lived. I can't remember exactly which store it was...it was either the record store or a collectible/comic type store.

I've treasured it ever since. It's the one thing I've always had hanging up and displayed wherever I've lived.

Interesting, one sold on ebay recently for $100 USA. I may have to sell my extra, to help pay for my other Stones items.

Date: August 19, 2016 03:34

jambay
This thread is a cesspool.

It is sad to imagine what a young fan new to the Rolling Stones and finding out about cool newer albums like Voodoo Lounge and might be excited about it and want to talk about it or any Stones music made after 1972... and they come to IORR.org and they run into this wall of TOXIC HATE.

It is not every poster here, it is 5-6 of the same toxic seemingly mentally unbalanced people who park themselves on these threads like this and spew their vomiting bullsht at anyone who comes along and enjoys an album.

It is obvious these trolls are not here for The Rolling Stones, their comments prove they do not even like The Stones. These worthless fks are nothing but internet trolls who use this web site to bully people and make hateful negative remarks and it is sad.

I am sure it drives away many new people who might want to join some good talk about the Stones.

And I can not even imagine what Jagger or any member of the Stones thinks when he see this type of crap.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 19, 2016 09:52

Palace Revolution 2000
jambay
This thread is a cesspool.

It is sad to imagine what a young fan new to the Rolling Stones and finding out about cool newer albums like Voodoo Lounge and might be excited about it and want to talk about it or any Stones music made after 1972... and they come to IORR.org and they run into this wall of TOXIC HATE.

It is not every poster here, it is 5-6 of the same toxic seemingly mentally unbalanced people who park themselves on these threads like this and spew their vomiting bullsht at anyone who comes along and enjoys an album.

It is obvious these trolls are not here for The Rolling Stones, their comments prove they do not even like The Stones. These worthless fks are nothing but internet trolls who use this web site to bully people and make hateful negative remarks and it is sad.

I am sure it drives away many new people who might want to join some good talk about the Stones.

And I can not even imagine what Jagger or any member of the Stones thinks when he see this type of crap.

thumbs upthumbs up

Isn't it a bit naive to think that Jagger or any member of the Stones come here and read discussions about more than 20 years old albums that even they themselves most likely have already forgotten about? Even if they do they most likely care a shit.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2016 12:25

Of course they dont read this, just like they dont read the thousands of reviews on amazon.com etc etc. They have better ways to spend their time, I guess.

If Mick would read our discussions we´d had already gotten a 30th-anniversary-edition of glorious DW this year.smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2016 12:31

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Ivy League is good?

Yes. The better of the takes is known as Hold On You. It's a shame they didn't finish it... if they didn't.

[www.youtube.com]

There are two with the same titles that are different songs for some reason...

This one called It's Funny [www.youtube.com]
is not the same as the really cool one that Keith did called It's Funny [www.youtube.com]

Of course, the best one is You Got It Made. This one features the two bootlegs put together, one which is just Keith and Ronnie doing the harmonies...

[www.youtube.com]

The track without the harmonies: [www.youtube.com]

There were a handful that were great ideas that could've been pretty damn good songs had they finished them. But there are some others that some might say sound too similar to Baby Break It Down etc, like Make It Now: [www.youtube.com]

GLS wasn't there another one too? Where its Jagger basically alone with a Ukelele or something? Been a long time since I listened to Stew/Brew.
OK I went and looked: "Zip Mouth Angel" is a wonderful little number.
Also "Randy Whore", "Way with Murder","Make it Now"

Date: August 19, 2016 12:38

An official Zip Mouth Angel would have been the worst track on VL.
Randy Whore, You Got It Made and Make It Now sound quite similar to other songs officially released. Hell, even parts of Crosseyed Heart sound like songs already released before.

Date: August 19, 2016 16:37

Looks like they're increasingly moving in circles....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 19, 2016 17:41

alimente
GasLightStreet
It's perhaps an interesting aspect to some of the Stones' unreleased material being more interesting than some of the finished tracks on the albums it was recorded for, like what they did for SOME GIRLS with Fiji Jim, The Way She Held Me Tight etc and EMOTIONAL RESCUE with Not The Way To Go, I'll Let You Know.

For some people, anyway.

They even returned to Fiji Jim (amongst So Young, We Had It All, Let's Go Steady, Shame Shame Shame according to Kimnsey) in 1993 as possible choices for VL single b-side tracks, but it did not appear back then (only So Young did), furthermore, it was not even considered for Some Girls deluxe.

That's too bad it wasn't even considered for the deluxe release. That and a few others would've made that an awesome release. Instead there was the two good country songs and... not much else.

Date: August 19, 2016 17:48

Palace Revolution 2000
GLS wasn't there another one too? Where its Jagger basically alone with a Ukelele or something? Been a long time since I listened to Stew/Brew.
OK I went and looked: "Zip Mouth Angel" is a wonderful little number.
Also "Randy Whore", "Way with Murder","Make it Now"

Zip Mouth is a dobro from the sound of it.

Randy Whore... ha ha. Eiiiileeeeeeennnnn!

Make It Now is one of those slow Keith tunes that sounded like a good idea but perhaps it didn't really go anywhere and it's similar in vibe to Blinded By Rainbows perhaps.

Date: August 19, 2016 17:50

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
If I wasn´t a fan, I wouldn´t listen to those outtakes.
But I have to confess: Usually I do it only once.
Reasons:
-mostly poor sound-quality
-mostly musically poor stuff

Obviously you can't HEAR what's going on.

Go listen to Winning Ugly.

Why wasting time listening to awful bad-sounding outtake-bootlegs? Even if the sound is good just like Redidue/Stew/Brew, it´s musically d-grade. A waste of time. They have so many officially released recordings full of musically gems and great sounding, I prefer to listen to that instead of useless crap in poor telephone-sound-quality.

Some of us enjoy listening to the creative process. The quality of the VOODOO boots is excellent. How you hear "poor telephone-sound-quality" is a mystery. But, as always...

Date: August 19, 2016 19:15

GasLightStreet
The quality of the VOODOO boots is excellent. How you hear "poor telephone-sound-quality" is a mystery. But, as always...

The sound quality of Residue/Stew/Brew is very good indeed. I said that in my post. But generally outtake/session-bootlegs of the 70s-90s are poor sound-wise.
But even brilliant sound-quality would not help, the musical content is also poor. I can only speak for myself, but I rarely find anything interesting on these bootleg-releases. Even the DW-boots are musically disappointing (besides the often terrible sound-quality).

Date: August 20, 2016 02:59

GasLightStreet
alimente
GasLightStreet

For some people, anyway.

That's too bad it wasn't even considered for the deluxe release. That and a few others would've made that an awesome release. Instead there was the two good country songs and... not much else.

Makes me think that they hold back certain stuff intentionally for future projects...opening the vaults, yes - but not emptying them.

Date: August 20, 2016 18:26

HMS
GasLightStreet
The quality of the VOODOO boots is excellent. How you hear "poor telephone-sound-quality" is a mystery. But, as always...

The sound quality of Residue/Stew/Brew is very good indeed. I said that in my post. But generally outtake/session-bootlegs of the 70s-90s are poor sound-wise.
But even brilliant sound-quality would not help, the musical content is also poor. I can only speak for myself, but I rarely find anything interesting on these bootleg-releases. Even the DW-boots are musically disappointing (besides the often terrible sound-quality).

So what you said is those DW boots fit the album just fine then - so nothing was lost, it's all garbage. I'm glad you finally cleared that up.

Date: August 20, 2016 18:40

Brian was getting into dulcimer then. Because he dug Richard Farina... We were also listening to a lot of Appalachian music then too. To me, Lady Jane is very Elizabethan. There are a few places in England where people still speak that way, Chaucer English.
- Keith Richards, 1971

[timeisonourside.com]

(The harpsichord) might have been (my idea). Because at the time, I just thought it was... I guess Lady Jane came somewhere around the back and hit me. There was just something about the melody that suggested it. Sometimes you listen to a song and it says trombone or it says harpsichord. You don't know why; you just suddenly hear this part singing away, and you say, What about trying this? And it kind of fit.
- Keith Richards, June 1994

It's an Elizabethan song written from an older man's point of view. Not that I'm an Elizabethan man, but I have that point of view.
- Mick Jagger, 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: August 6, 2017 15:02

quote="Palace Revolution 2000"]
To me Voodoo Lounge has been my least favorite Stones album. Especially since we were fortunate enough to gain access to all the Brew and Stew material. So we know a bit more about the inner workings. There seems to have been some disagreement over the direction of the final released album. Don Was had a good bit of say in that area. More than I would have thought. Looks like Jagger bowed to him.
And Keith was also involved in these years. He must have been pretty confident; the Winos were riding high.
Don Was strikes me as more of an executive producer; not so much involved in the actual comings and goings in the studio, as in dealing with the results. Don Smith was engineer, with Mick and Keith ( I suppose) calling the shots.
The outtakes are mostly strong; open to a range of possibilities. The 4 members all come off as involved and committed.
So what happened? Why is the album not that good?
IMO it is too long, and it's a case of too many cooks trying to please the other cooks. It may have benefited from one clear direction. One producer. You live or die by that one then. But you won't get "Sweethearts Together" going into "Suck on the Jugular". Even more frustrating that there are much better funk tunes in outtakes, as there are better Country songs.
On Side 1 you have the oddities of "New Faces" going into "Moon Is Up", that sit there like a baked potato.If there ever was a good outtake section, this is it.
Without much moving around, or new songs, just cutting those tracks makes a huge difference.
Love is Strong
You Got Me Rockin
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Out Of Tears
---
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
Blinded By Rainbows
Baby Break It Down
Thru & Thru
Mean Disposition

This is the first time I've examined VL like this, and it is intriguing. A much more low key affair. Maybe they wold have been called 'old', But they were being called that anyway. And for the tour they didn't use any of the cut songs anyway.
After the comeback album and tour of Steel Wheels, where so much of everything was the "first time", they now relaxed a bit. The VL tour was also huge but a little groovier. It would have been unthinkable IMO to open the SW shows with "Not Fade Away". I like the long hair, the Buccaneer coats, Keith's songs.
I do not like the lyrics on the album, "Blinded by Rainbows or "Sparks will Fly", the new Bass player, artwork.
And can we just end the album with "Thru & Thru" like it was written all along?[/quote]

I totally agree about the length, but there is good stuff on VL as well, imo.

Date: August 6, 2017 17:24

It could've been even better with less LP tracks and more B-sides:

Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Jump On Top Of Me
The Worst
Out Of Tears
I'm Gonna Drive
The Storm
Brand New Car
Baby Break It Down
Thru & Thru
Mean Disposition

Date: August 6, 2017 20:01

Not crazy about I'm Gonna Drive, but it should indeed have been trimmed down a bit.

Date: August 6, 2017 20:11

DandelionPowderman
Not crazy about I'm Gonna Drive, but it should indeed have been trimmed down a bit.

It isn't anything special, as spoken by Mick:

I wrote the B-side of the single Love Is Strong (on demand). Don Was said, Well, you know, we should have the B-sides done this week. It was always, like, next week we were gonna do the B-sides. And when we were there the last night in Dublin, Don said, Well, we should really have done the B-sides. I said, Well, I didn't do any B-sides. I didn't write any B-sides. He said, Well, couldn't you just go and write them? This is like at the end of the 6 weeks. And I said, Don, I feel, like, really tired. I do not want to write the B-sides. And he said, Well, why can't you just go in the corner of the cafeteria and do them? I said, Okay, I'll try it. So I went in and wrote The Storm and the next one, which is called Jump on Top of Me, and the next one, which is called, ah... (laughs). I forget what I called it! It's called Drive something - I don't know - Ride All Night or something. I can't remember; I changed it. But anyway, I wrote the three of them in one go. Walked in the room and just sat down and played them. And then we did them all in one take. So they were written and played all in one take. So that's writing on demand. And then I'll finish the lyrics up later.
- Mick Jagger, 1994

ALAS! It's better than:

You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
New Faces
Blinded By Rainbows

This quote by Mick is interesting in a way when you consider what he means by 'recent records', which would've helped considerably:

We deliberately kept (the album) in the broadest styles. Normally, we would have perhaps thrown a lot of things out that were on the edge of being included. On some of our recent records, we'd do things that would be quite interesting, but then leave them off of the albums because we felt they were off the beaten path of rock & roll, so to speak.
- Mick Jagger, 1994

Date: August 6, 2017 20:39

The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny). Either of these would've been much better.

Album Talk -Voodoo Lounge
Date: August 6, 2017 12:44

We got two lively threads with SW and LYL, and several others that reference the post 89 era.
To me Voodoo Lounge has been my least favorite Stones album. Especially since we were fortunate enough to gain access to all the Brew and Stew material. So we know a bit more about the inner workings. There seems to have been some disagreement over the direction of the final released album. Don Was had a good bit of say in that area. More than I would have thought. Looks like Jagger bowed to him.
And Keith was also involved in these years. He must have been pretty confident; the Winos were riding high.
Don Was strikes me as more of an executive producer; not so much involved in the actual comings and goings in the studio, as in dealing with the results. Don Smith was engineer, with Mick and Keith ( I suppose) calling the shots.
The outtakes are mostly strong; open to a range of possibilities. The 4 members all come off as involved and committed.
So what happened? Why is the album not that good?
IMO it is too long, and it's a case of too many cooks trying to please the other cooks. It may have benefited from one clear direction. One producer. You live or die by that one then. But you won't get "Sweethearts Together" going into "Suck on the Jugular". Even more frustrating that there are much better funk tunes in outtakes, as there are better Country songs.
On Side 1 you have the oddities of "New Faces" going into "Moon Is Up", that sit there like a baked potato.If there ever was a good outtake section, this is it.
Without much moving around, or new songs, just cutting those tracks makes a huge difference.
Love is Strong
You Got Me Rockin
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Out Of Tears
---
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
Blinded By Rainbows
Baby Break It Down
Thru & Thru
Mean Disposition

This is the first time I've examined VL like this, and it is intriguing. A much more low key affair. Maybe they wold have been called 'old', But they were being called that anyway. And for the tour they didn't use any of the cut songs anyway.
After the comeback album and tour of Steel Wheels, where so much of everything was the "first time", they now relaxed a bit. The VL tour was also huge but a little groovier. It would have been unthinkable IMO to open the SW shows with "Not Fade Away". I like the long hair, the Buccaneer coats, Keith's songs.
I do not like the lyrics on the album, "Blinded by Rainbows or "Sparks will Fly", the new Bass player, artwork.
And can we just end the album with "Thru & Thru" like it was written all along?

Re: Album Talk -Voodoo Lounge
Date: August 6, 2017 12:56

Date: August 6, 2017 13:09

DandelionPowderman
[iorr.org]

Dandy I did a search for that, and couldnt find it. Just a thread by BV "dont revive old threads". I'd much rather have it tied in with the old VL thread.

Date: August 6, 2017 13:19

I just bumped the album talk index.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 6, 2017 13:59

Palace Revolution 2000 - There are 10 pages of thread previously started by -

ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: October 9, 2015 12:58

which is well worth accessing using the link provided by DandelionPowderman 6/08/17.

Date: August 6, 2017 18:18

Thanks Dandy. Disregard this thread

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 7, 2017 02:39

Solid album all the way thru. Especially the opener

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 03:30

GasLightStreet
The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny). Either of these would've been much better.

Wow, quite the art critic you think you are. Tell me, what have you done in life?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home