Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Albums where EVERY song is a masterpiece
Date: October 11, 2016 13:52

Hansman
HMS
Best Kiss-album ever = DYNASTY

I could listen to DESTROYER from back to forth if it weren't for Sweet Pain.

Also the '78 Paul Stanley solo album is almost flawless, in fact it's an amazing rock album, yet completely underrated. The only song off of that album that I don't like is Ain't Quite Right.

That's interesting. I could say the same thing about Ace's album. Paul's album is only the third best of those solo albums to me.

Will have to check it out again (after many, many years), though smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2016 13:54

HMS
Sticky Fingers is only disqualified by Moonlight Mile.

Indeed there is no Stones-album only filled with "masterpieces". IMO, this would be rather boring. Sometimes you need one or two so-so-songs to make the rest shine really bright.

The only "masterpieces" I can hear on SG are Beast Of Burden & Some Girls. All the rest is just so-so, mostly quite enjoyable but far from being masterpieces. I could easily do without Lies, Imagination, Far Away Eyes, Shattered, Whip - there´s almost nothing truly essential on the album. What an overrated album SG is.

"Who´s next" rules.

Say what you will about Miss You, Far Away Eyes and Shattered, but within this context they're indeed masterpieces. What lovely cornerstones of an album that consists of something entirely else!

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 14:09

DandelionPowderman
Hansman
HMS

Also the '78 Paul Stanley solo album is almost flawless, in fact it's an amazing rock album, yet completely underrated. The only song off of that album that I don't like is Ain't Quite Right.

That's interesting. I could say the same thing about Ace's album. Paul's album is only the third best of those solo albums to me.

Ace's is a close second for me. A song like Ozone and to some extend Snow Blind brings it down a bit. But overall it is a fantastic rock album.

I think I'm one of the very few people who loves all of the four '78 solo albums. YES, even Peter's :-D.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 14:11

Hansman
HMS

Sweet pain is the weak track i was thinking of. Kiss debut album is great but not perfect.

Date: October 11, 2016 14:12

Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman
HMS

Ace's is a close second for me. A song like Ozone and to some extend Snow Blind brings it down a bit. But overall it is a fantastic rock album.

I think I'm one of the very few people who loves all of the four '78 solo albums. YES, even Peter's :-D.

I love Peter's album, too, even the pop-tunes. I always thought he was a good singer and songwriter. Paul dissed him a lot in his bio, though smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2016 14:17

Redhotcarpet
Hansman
HMS

Sweet pain is the weak track i was thinking of. Kiss debut album is great but not perfect.

Right. I love KISS and I'm pretty familiar with their catalogue, but I can't think of a KISS album (they have released more than 20 I think) without a stinker or two (or more).

Same with the Stones for me. Albums like Aftermath, Beggars, LIB, SF, EOMS are fantastic but not perfect. There is always at least one track I could live without.

Date: October 11, 2016 14:22

DandelionPowderman
Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman
HMS

I love Peter's album, too, even the pop-tunes. I always thought he was a good singer and songwriter. Paul dissed him a lot in his bio, though smiling smiley

Yeah, unfortunately. There is a lot of bad blood between them.

Peter's an amazing singer. Songs like I Can't Stop The Rain, Don't You Let Me Down and Easy Thing off his solo album are simply beautiful. I also love You Matter To Me (late 70s poprock at its best) and his cover of Tossin' and Turnin'. Very nice album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:29

HMS

Nope. It's only disqualified because it's KISS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:32

HMS
Sticky Fingers is only disqualified by Moonlight Mile.

Indeed there is no Stones-album only filled with "masterpieces". IMO, this would be rather boring. Sometimes you need one or two so-so-songs to make the rest shine really bright.

The only "masterpieces" I can hear on SG are Beast Of Burden & Some Girls. All the rest is just so-so, mostly quite enjoyable but far from being masterpieces. I could easily do without Lies, Imagination, Far Away Eyes, Shattered, Whip - there´s almost nothing truly essential on the album. What an overrated album SG is.

"Who´s next" rules.

As proven, you can't distinguish sounds or who's playing. Therefor your opinion is invalid.

As usual.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 11, 2016 18:07

As I have been on a Boz Scaggs kick lately, I have to call out his album 'Memphis'. So enjoyable, soulful

Produced by Steve Jordan who is also the drummer, with Willie Weeks on bass.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:15

Hansman
Some Girls is their most overrated album in my humble opinion. I almost never listen to it. I don't like most of its songs and I find the production horrible. I never understood what people find so great with that album.

You had to be there at the time when SG came out to understand what this album, and the single "Miss You" meant for them. The Stones were essentially written off back then. Punk, New Wave, Pub Rock (=essentially a return to the roots) and Disco ruled at the time. The Stones were regarded as decadent dinosaurs with nothing left to say. Keith's drug bust in Toronto. The future of the band very much in doubt. Questions if they would carry on without him if he indeed would go 10 years in jail. Then came Miss You. I swear that I said back then that I would never listen to the Stones again if they would ever dare to jump on the "Disco train" like so many of their contemporaries. But I loved Miss You right from the start when I first heard it in a record shop in London, the 12" version, to be precise. "Blues meets Disco" were my first thoughts. The groove. Bill's fantastic bass. The bluesy guitars. The soulful harp. Only the Stones could do that! Then came the album, full of more sounds that fitted thoses times and the musical climate perfectly. A relief. A resurrection. The Stones rose like phoenix from the ashes, last but not least also commercially. In a way similar to what JJF and Banquet did for them exactly 10 years earlier. The production? Hell, who cared for top-notch production back in 1978? Rough, raw and in yer face was all the rage back then.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:21

alimente
Hansman
Some Girls is their most overrated album in my humble opinion. I almost never listen to it. I don't like most of its songs and I find the production horrible. I never understood what people find so great with that album.

You had to be there at the time when SG came out to understand what this album, and the single "Miss You" meant for them. The Stones were essentially written off back then. Punk, New Wave, Pub Rock (=essentially a return to the roots) and Disco ruled at the time. The Stones were regarded as decadent dinosaurs with nothing left to say. Keith's drug bust in Toronto. The future of the band very much in doubt. Questions if they would carry on without him if he indeed would go 10 years in jail. Then came Miss You. I swear that I said back then that I would never listen to the Stones again if they would ever dare to jump on the "Disco train" like so many of their contemporaries. But I loved Miss You right from the start when I first heard it in a record shop in London, the 12" version, to be precise. "Blues meets Disco" were my first thoughts. The groove. Bill's fantastic bass. The bluesy guitars. The soulful harp. Only the Stones could do that! Then came the album, full of more sounds that fitted thoses times and the musical climate perfectly. A relief. A resurrection. The Stones rose like phoenix from the ashes, last but not least also commercially. In a way similar to what JJF and Banquet did for them exactly 10 years earlier. The production? Hell, who cared for top-notch production back in 1978? Rough, raw and in yer face was all the rage back then.

Some Girls was indeed a revelation at the time. Many people did not appreciate Black and Blue at first and many people thought the Stones sounded lazy on it. Some Girls was a radical change of direction; it almost felt like the debut album of a hot new band. Gotta agree that the production could have been better but the songs and performances are hot.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 22:34

They indeed sound refreshed and re-energized on SG, but the songs are mostly mediocre, imo. SG was one of the first RS-albums I bought in the very early 80s and I wasn´t too thrilled when listening to it. Bought Black And Blue a couple of weeks later and thought it was a much better album.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 23:37

Albums where EVERY song is a masterpiece..don't exist for me...there are some with a lot of masterpiece and some great songs on it or even a bad song. Good Morning on SPLHCBand is good sample of a bad song on a great album

Date: October 12, 2016 00:06

HMS
They indeed sound refreshed and re-energized on SG, but the songs are mostly mediocre, imo. SG was one of the first RS-albums I bought in the very early 80s and I wasn´t too thrilled when listening to it. Bought Black And Blue a couple of weeks later and thought it was a much better album.

It is in many ways but Some Gilrs is a new version of the band with a great album cover, a new fresh unified approach, and songs like Miss You, Beast of Burden, Shattered makes Some Girls more important. I prefer B&B but I know Some Girls is a stronger album despite shit like Lies. Beast is their best song - objectively speaking - since Tumblin Dice. Miss you best since Brown Sugar although I prefer Hot Stuff or Memory Motel. I love the Iorr album and songs like If you cant rock me, till the next time, Dance little Sister or Time waits but thats just me.

Date: October 12, 2016 00:08

alimente
Hansman

I second that, (not that I was aware of it at the time) but I also agree with Hansman.

Date: October 12, 2016 00:10

The Velvet Undergrounds albums are almost full of masterpieces but even the debut has one clunk, maybe. European Son or maybe Run run Run. On the other hand they belong on that album somehow. Hendrix had one clunk on every album too.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: October 12, 2016 00:25

Gentle Giant: Three Friends.
The Mahavishnu Orchestra : Birds of Fire.
Jeff Beck: Wired.
Allan Holdsworth: Metal Fatigue.
Kate Bush: The Kick Inside.
And come on, Rolling Stones: Exile On Main Street and Sticky Fingers, my favourite studio albums.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 12, 2016 00:28

Peter Gabriel - "So"
Peter Gabriel - "Us"

Date: October 12, 2016 00:28

alimente
Hansman

Thanks for the history lesson :-D. I don't know why you think that I wasn't there back then or that I don't know the Stones history (I was there and I know what was going on in the musical landscape of the late 70s and within the Stones) but that doesn't make me like SG better. Not even a bit. To me it's an extremely weak album. The only song I like from that album is Beast of Burden but even that version cannot touch Bette Midler's rendition of the song IMO.

I hate Miss You with a passion and songs like Shattered, Respectable, Lies, and When The Whip Comes Down are some of the worst songs in the entire Stones catalogue for me. I really don't give a rats ass for that album.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 12, 2016 02:46

Bette Middler? I see, you must be another troll then. No more history lessons, I promise!

Date: October 12, 2016 03:14

Lot of great albums listed here. So gotta throw in my two cents -

Mickey Jupp's Juppanese. Rockpile backing him up on the A side. And Chris Spedding and Gary Brooker on the B. Not a clunker in the bunch. Drove my ex crazy playing this. Maybe that's why she's my ex. LOL.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 12, 2016 10:48

Radiohead - OK Computer.

Mathijs

Date: October 12, 2016 12:33

Hansman
The only song I like from that album is Beast of Burden but even that version cannot touch Bette Midler's rendition of the song IMO.

You are completely right about Bette Middler. Her versions of BOB is marvelous. BOB and Some Girls are the best songs on SG. But BOB is only outstanding because of the intro and the guitar work. Otherwise it´s - just like most songs on SG - mediocre. Mick totally kills it for me with that silly "pretty-pretty-pretty-you´re such a pretty pretty"-garbage.

Faraway Eyes, btw, is probably the most ridiculous Stones-song ever.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 12:43

HMS
Hansman
The only song I like from that album is Beast of Burden but even that version cannot touch Bette Midler's rendition of the song IMO.

You are completely right about Bette Middler. Her versions of BOB is marvelous. BOB and Some Girls are the best songs on SG. But BOB is only outstanding because of the intro and the guitar work. Otherwise it´s - just like most songs on SG - mediocre. Mick totally kills it for me with that silly "pretty-pretty-pretty-you´re such a pretty pretty"-garbage.

Faraway Eyes, btw, is probably the most ridiculous Stones-song ever.

you called BOB a masterpiece and then a few hours later said it was mediocre except for the guitar work... don't ever change HMS ;-)

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 12, 2016 12:53

A lot of albums with all good to great songs, but with all masterpieces?... maybe one:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2016 13:04

I think this thread is more a list of everyone's favourite albums than bona fide masterpieces.

Date: October 12, 2016 13:30

Turner68
you called BOB a masterpiece and then a few hours later said it was mediocre except for the guitar work... don't ever change HMS ;-)

The guitar work and especially the gorgeous intro (one of the best intros in the history of popular music, IMO) indeed turned a so-so-song into a true masterpiece.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:27

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie

Close to The Edge - Yes

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Their Satanic Majesties Request - RS (well to me it is)

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:32

Deep Purple - Burn
The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force
Neil Young - Harvest
Goblin - Dawn of the Dead

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home