Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Albums where EVERY song is a masterpiece
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2016 18:27

HMS
All very good excuses. In fact Exile is half great, half terrible. All because they were too lazy to carefully select the tunes to end up on a single LP, which indeed could have been one of their greatest albums ever. What a chance missed. Instead of selecting they put the whole bunch on the album, bad apples inclusive.

Yo, Ding, the "worst" songs on EXILE combined are better than DIRTY WORK. That's just a fact.

Date: October 14, 2016 18:29

mickschix
I totally disagree with HMS about EXILE.

Dead people disagree with HMS in general, yet alone alive people. But that's what trolls are good at. Only a tone deaf kook would say something so past stupid like that.

Date: October 14, 2016 18:38

RaiseTheKnife
HMS
All very good excuses. In fact Exile is half great, half terrible. All because they were too lazy to carefully select the tunes to end up on a single LP, which indeed could have been one of their greatest albums ever.

Also the mixes are among the worst in the Stones catalogue, even Mick himself agrees with this. There's a reason many of the songs have never been played live, it's cause they stink.

The mixes, yes, clearly a part of the reason many of the songs have never been played live.

What constitutes "many" in this case? EOMS has 18 songs on it. From the album they've played:

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

12 tracks. That's over half of the album.

The mixes are fine. When you consider that Mick can't even keep track of what songs on are EXILE his complaining about the mix is just his way of being a jerk about Keith's album.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 14, 2016 19:40

GasLightStreet
mickschix

Dead people disagree with HMS in general, yet alone alive people. But that's what trolls are good at. Only a tone deaf kook would say something so past stupid like that.

Even Mick said something like Exile isn´t a great album. Go call him a deaf kook.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 14, 2016 20:00

were you on the new episode of South Park 10/12/16 ?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 15, 2016 09:59

It's Too Late to Stop Now (Live double LP) - Van Morrison

...if live albums are considered in thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 03:59 by hopkins.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2016 10:35

John Updike - Rabbit, Run - Rabbit Remembered.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 17, 2016 06:40

Redhotcarpet
John Updike - Rabbit, Run - Rabbit Remembered.

I think the Japanese edition has a bonus chapter. smoking smiley

Date: October 17, 2016 13:12

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
A hard days night - The Beatles (?)

Excellent album thumbs up

Yes, the harmonies on that album are IMO part of the genius of the Beatles. 'If I Fell'..."I'll Be Back".."Things We Said Today"

Date: October 17, 2016 17:09

HMS
GasLightStreet
mickschix

Even Mick said something like Exile isn´t a great album. Go call him a deaf kook.

He did praise it but he also very carefully slagged it by saying it's not as good as BB or LIB. He flip flops about it. And you need to keep in mind what his idea of success is: album sales. He's not so much about the art of making records. If you can peel yourself away to bother reading anything you'll notice that he mentions it doesn't have a lot of hit singles (which part of that issue is they only released 2 singles). No deaf kook removal for you.

Well I did like Exile very much. It was like four single-sided albums - hopefully something for everyone. It wasn't really meant to be played all at once.
-Mick Jagger, 1978

It's a wonderful record, but I wouldn't consider it the finest of the Rolling Stones' work. I think that Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were better records...
- Mick Jagger, 1987

It's a bit overrated, to be honest. Compared to Let it Bleed and Beggars Banquet, which I think are more of a piece, I don't see it's as thematic as the other two. I'm not saying it's not good. It doesn't contain as many outstanding songs as the previous (sic) two records. I think the playing's quite good. It's got a raw quality, but I don't think all around it's as good.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

Exile On Main Street is not one of my favourite albums, although I think the record does have a particular feeling. I'm not too sure how great the songs are, but put together it's a nice piece. However, when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy... Of course I'm ultimately responsible for it, but it's really not good and there's no concerted effort or intention... As long as people like the album, that's fine. It's just that I don't particularly think it's a great album.
-Mick Jagger, 2003

W)hen people started saying, Is this your favorite album? I was one to say, Well, I don't think it really is. I'm a great fan of Sticky Fingers. This is a very different album 'cause it's so sprawling. It doesn't contain a lot of hit singles for instance. Over the years a lot of the songs have been played onstage and they've acquired another life. So it's a very different kind of album than Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed in that way. The production value is different. It's just a different vibe. But, I mean, there are really great things on it... I always had a lot of respect for it. It was difficult, because people didn't like it when it came out. I think they just found it quite difficult because of the length of it. People didn't access it quite so easily at the time. It got kind of mixed reviews. People found it a bit impenetrable and a bit difficult. Everyone said, It's my favorite, it's my favorite, I love it! and I said, Well, it's not mine. It was just a sort of toss off remark and it's come back to haunt me, really.
-Mick Jagger, 2010

You never want to deny people their favorite album. But I would always just be slightly - I was just being annoying, you know? It's not really my favorite, it's your favorite. But who knows? I don't really have a favorite. There's a lot of great Rolling Stones albums. Exile is the longest, and it's got the most songs, so you've got more to choose from. There's lots of songs we've done over the years and still do onstage, but others we've really never done onstage, too.
-Mick Jagger, 2010

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: October 18, 2016 08:10

I think Jagger likes Exile well enough.
And - I would not call 'Exile' Keith's album; not at all.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 18, 2016 12:19

GasLightStreet
RaiseTheKnife
HMS
All very good excuses. In fact Exile is half great, half terrible. All because they were too lazy to carefully select the tunes to end up on a single LP, which indeed could have been one of their greatest albums ever.

Also the mixes are among the worst in the Stones catalogue, even Mick himself agrees with this. There's a reason many of the songs have never been played live, it's cause they stink.

The mixes, yes, clearly a part of the reason many of the songs have never been played live.

What constitutes "many" in this case? EOMS has 18 songs on it. From the album they've played:

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

The mixes are fine. When you consider that Mick can't even keep track of what songs on are EXILE his complaining about the mix is just his way of being a jerk about Keith's album.

13. Sweet Black Angel

Date: October 18, 2016 18:55

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
RaiseTheKnife
HMS

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

13. Sweet Black Angel

I must've missed that one!

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 18, 2016 19:20

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

13. Sweet Black Angel

4 songs have not been played more than twice live.

So really it's only 8 out of 18 tracks. The others obviously worked so bad live and in rehearsals that they never looked back.

Realistically Jagger only thinks 8 tracks from this album are good enough to be played live.

Compare that to Sticky Fingers on which 8 out of 10 tracks been played 30+ times.

There's a ton of fillers on Exile and judging by setlist statistics Jagger is of the same opinion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-18 19:27 by RaiseTheKnife.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 18, 2016 19:35

Bullshit. The live version of Sweet Black Angel is great, Stop Breaking Down 94 too. There were problems with the other rarities, though.

Date: October 18, 2016 21:47

Mick should pick his 10 favorite songs from Exile, have them properly re-mixed and make sure to re-re-release them as a single-LP - the way it always should have been.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 18, 2016 22:09

Let It Bleed
Paul Simon - Graceland
Paul Simon - R. of the Saints
Guns N'Roses - Appetite for Destruction
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Arrested Development - 3 years...in the life of
Probably something by Stevie Wonder in the 70's also

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 19, 2016 15:51

Dana Fuchs - Bliss Avenue
Mike Zito & The Wheel - Gone To Texas
Gov´t Mule - Dose
ZZ Top - Deguello
Free - Fire & Water

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 19, 2016 15:53

John Fogerty - Blue Moon Swamp

Date: October 19, 2016 16:36

Monsoon Ragoon
Bullshit. The live version of Sweet Black Angel is great, Stop Breaking Down 94 too. There were problems with the other rarities, though.

One of the three Torn And Frayed-versions was pretty good, though (Aragon 2002).

Date: October 19, 2016 16:39

RaiseTheKnife
GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

13. Sweet Black Angel

So really it's only 8 out of 18 tracks. The others obviously worked so bad live and in rehearsals that they never looked back.

Realistically Jagger only thinks 8 tracks from this album are good enough to be played live.

Compare that to Sticky Fingers on which 8 out of 10 tracks been played 30+ times.

There's a ton of fillers on Exile and judging by setlist statistics Jagger is of the same opinion.

Torn And Frayed was played three times. Vancouver 1972, Toronto 2002 and Chicago 2002.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 19, 2016 18:10

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. (sorry if that has been mentioned already!)

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 19, 2016 19:38

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

1.Rocks Off
2.Rip This Joint
3.Tumbling Dice
4.Happy
5.Sweet Virginia
6.Shine A Light
7.Ventilator Blues
8.All Down The Line
9.Loving Cup
10.Stop Breaking Down
12.Torn And Frayed

13. Sweet Black Angel

Torn And Frayed was played three times. Vancouver 1972, Toronto 2002 and Chicago 2002.
EOMS has masterful performances from the band. Although it seems simple it is highly edited and masterfully mixed to create an overall mood that made it an album like few others. Live much of it didn't translate, not because the songs are filler but because this album is unique to itself. Much like Sergent Peppers it is a work of art which exists and excels as a complete work.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2016 00:30

Metal Machine Music ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 20, 2016 02:19

RHCP - Californication, not much filler on there...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 20, 2016 02:22

gotdablouse
RHCP - Californication, not much filler on there...

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down

Grow up...

Date: October 20, 2016 04:56

DoomandGloom
EOMS has masterful performances from the band. Although it seems simple it is highly edited and masterfully mixed to create an overall mood that made it an album like few others. Live much of it didn't translate, not because the songs are filler but because this album is unique to itself. Much like Sergent Peppers it is a work of art which exists and excels as a complete work.

Masterfully mixed may be an argument (and I've never heard any issue myself with the mix because it sounds fantastic and it's what was done at the time which means how it was intended to be heard) but the album, as you put it, indeed as "a work of art the exists and excels as a complete work". Although I'm not sure how it could excel but I'll roll with that.

Is it their best? I dunno. I tend to think LIB, SF and TY are better sometimes, mainly because they're a regular LP length perhaps, but then again, they also could've actually been double albums. But that itself says it is within their best, since "sometimes" doesn't mean all the time.

Critically, as a fan? It's outstanding; it is one of their best.

Only an idiot would think otherwise.

Date: October 20, 2016 08:45

Rockman
Metal Machine Music ....

grinning smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 20, 2016 09:54

Turner68
Rubber soul
Revolver
Plastic Ono band
Another side of bob Dylan
Beggars banquet
Get yer ya's out

A masterpiece from beginning to end ! Its that simple !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: October 20, 2016 14:23

EXILE isn´t a masterpiece, imo. It´s their sixth-best album.
Would it have been a single-LP without the huge amount of fillers, it easily could have been their third- maybe even second-best album.

But the bunch of lousy fillers has ruined it all. What a beautiful great-from-start-to-finish-single-LP EXILE could have been! Were they too stoned and drunk at the time to not realize that they could have been writing history by dropping the subpar stuff and releasing a 10-12-track album? I just can´t understand them acting the way they did. Maybe their biggest mistake ever.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home