Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Albums where EVERY song is a masterpiece
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:18

The Clash 1977 Columbia Records

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:41

Transformer....sade Love Deluxe, Madonna's trilogy of Erotica, Bedtime Stories, and Ray of Light, Talking Heads Remain in Light...Amy...Some Girls, Beggers, Exile, Sticky, Blackstar Bowie, and perhaps teh best run of any artist...Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters. sure I missed a few...Annie Lennox Diva....KD Lang..Bonnie Raitt

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:50

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 10, 2016 17:59

Pink Floyd - Meddle grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 10, 2016 18:04

NICOS
Pink Floyd - Meddle grinning smiley

Seamus? Always thought that was a bit ruff!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 10, 2016 18:39

you don't like dog singing ?

Date: October 10, 2016 19:07

djgab
you don't like dog singing ?

That particular dog is out of tune. He needs singing lessons.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 10, 2016 19:08

Hansman
saltoftheearth

Factory girl and Salt of the earth are masterpieces because the lyrics represent the mood of the late 1960s perfectly.

LOL. Because a lyric represents the mood/vibe of a part of a decade it makes a song a masterpiece? How interesting.

Apart from the fact that I have never heard anyone but you saying that these songs are masterpieces (I like them both, don't get me wrong) I think we should first and foremost define the term "masterpiece" and what makes a song a "masterpiece".

"Rock historians/critics" tend to say that albums like Sgt. Peppers and Pet Sounds are milestones and...yes, masterpieces. Personally I don't think that anyone would miss a song like Within You Without You, Good Morning Good Morning or Pet Sounds (the song) if they wouldn't exist. The Beatles recorded and released a lot of crappy songs, and so did the Stones and any other band. There is no band and artist without a fair share of filler songs.

As I already said, I don't think that there is an album outthere where I don't have the feeling that at least one song is skipworthy or much worse/weaker than other ones.

I find some of these lists here ridiculous, really.

Just like I said early in the thread. People will now try to claim all kinds of things are masterpieces so they can have a list. Music fans are odd like this. I don't understand it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 19:40

So this thread is a year old...although I made it based on what OTHER people were claiming at the time, I realize in retrospect what a silly question this is.

In all honesty, most great albums benefit from having "filler" songs that provide connective tissue between the great songs. Not every song on a great album has to be a masterpiece...not even close, and I think the number of rock'n'roll-era albums that legitimately meet this criterion could be counted on one hand.

Date: October 10, 2016 20:01

2000 LYFH
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

thumbs up

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 10, 2016 20:15

Dan Penn - Nobody's Fool
Mickey Newbury - Looks Like Rain
James Carr - You Got My Mind Messed Up

... and a lot more

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 10, 2016 20:37

keefriff99
So this thread is a year old...although I made it based on what OTHER people were claiming at the time, I realize in retrospect what a silly question this is.

In all honesty, most great albums benefit from having "filler" songs that provide connective tissue between the great songs. Not every song on a great album has to be a masterpiece...not even close, and I think the number of rock'n'roll-era albums that legitimately meet this criterion could be counted on one hand.

Are there really any?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 10, 2016 22:36

The Tubes - The Tubes

Lee Perry & the Upsetters - Superape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 22:36 by EddieByword.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 10, 2016 23:08

Come On
The Clash 1977 Columbia Records

You mean the UK version or the US one?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 23:10

stanlove
keefriff99

Are there really any?
Probably not, but if there are, it wouldn't number any more than 5 like I said.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 11, 2016 03:42

Ghost In The Machine is pure masterpiece...even it's out takes stun the masses

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 11, 2016 04:34

Silver Dagger
Palace Revolution 2000
alimente
BluzDude
Boognish
Cosmo's Factory - CCR

While there are several obvious ones mentioned in this thread......this is a good call thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

While we're at it - there does not seem to be much love for Bolan here, but I think that Electric Warrior is great from start to finish. And Slider... or even Tanx...

Huge Bolan fan, I have many of his crazy Box sets that I used to get from this crazy label/website. Cant recall their name. I just don't quite think his albums are classics like OP means. Of his albums actually "Warrior" has always been myleast fave.

Sad to see that the incredible T. Rex album from 1971 never seems to get much love from Bolan fans, probably because it didn't have any singles on it. But songs like Jewel, Diamond Meadows, Root Of Star, Beltane Walk, and Summer Deep have a unique late psychedelic/pre-glam rock charm that not only show off the warmth of his song-writing but arguably the best of his guitar playing.

Absolutely right, but what always turned me a bit off with this album is the 8-minute The Wizard which goes a bit on my nerves, honestly. Elemental Child from A Beard Of Stars was much better. Then again, Tyrannosaurus Rex were in a class of its own. Pure genius if you ask me. In fact, nowadays I listen to them more than to T. Rex.

Date: October 11, 2016 09:55

alimente
Silver Dagger
Palace Revolution 2000
alimente
BluzDude
Boognish
Cosmo's Factory - CCR

While there are several obvious ones mentioned in this thread......this is a good call thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

While we're at it - there does not seem to be much love for Bolan here, but I think that Electric Warrior is great from start to finish. And Slider... or even Tanx...

Huge Bolan fan, I have many of his crazy Box sets that I used to get from this crazy label/website. Cant recall their name. I just don't quite think his albums are classics like OP means. Of his albums actually "Warrior" has always been myleast fave.

Sad to see that the incredible T. Rex album from 1971 never seems to get much love from Bolan fans, probably because it didn't have any singles on it. But songs like Jewel, Diamond Meadows, Root Of Star, Beltane Walk, and Summer Deep have a unique late psychedelic/pre-glam rock charm that not only show off the warmth of his song-writing but arguably the best of his guitar playing.

Absolutely right, but what always turned me a bit off with this album is the 8-minute The Wizard which goes a bit on my nerves, honestly. Elemental Child from A Beard Of Stars was much better. Then again, Tyrannosaurus Rex were in a class of its own. Pure genius if you ask me. In fact, nowadays I listen to them more than to T. Rex.

Yes, it does go on a bit. You ever hear Johnny Thunders cover The Wizard?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 10:14

Stones:
Let it bleed

Almost Aftermath (Goin home is not good despite its good rep.)
The Rolling Stones (covers mostly but actually classic covers. Exclude Tell me).

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2016 10:18

I sanna say Kiss - Destroyer (almost)

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: October 11, 2016 11:26

LOVE-FOREVER CHANGES
WAILERS-CATCH A FIRE
MILES DAVIS-KIND OF BLUE
TOM WAITS-SWORDFISHTROMBONES
SPRINGSTEEN-BORN TO RUN
BLONDIE-PARALLEL LINES

All of these albums I can play start to finish and never get bored. I doubt there has ever been a better album than Kind Of Blue. Swordfishtrombone is utterly bizarre and Parallel Lines just brilliant pop start to finish.

John Nicholls

Date: October 11, 2016 11:51

Redhotcarpet
I sanna say Kiss - Destroyer (almost)

Overrated. There are some weak tracks there, imo.

I would have said their debut album, hadn't they being forced to include Kissin' Time smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 11:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 12:29

Best Kiss-album ever = DYNASTY

Date: October 11, 2016 12:32

HMS

Something tells me you're an Ace-fan? smiling smiley

His three tracks are very good there. Lots of the other stuff on there is kiddie-disco, though.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:16

There are only two Stones albums in this category, Beggars Banquet & Some Girls.

Some Girls sounds like crap, very trebly and hard on the ears, but all songs are excellent, Lies included.

Country Honk disqualifies Let It Bleed.

You Gotta Move disqualifies Sticky Fingers.

Exile has tons of bottom of the barrel tracks.

Bridges to Babylon would be on the list if it wasn't for ASMB and MAGJ.

Goats Head Soup would be on the list if it wasn't for Mr. D.

Date: October 11, 2016 13:26

TheBlockbuster
There are only two Stones albums in this category, Beggars Banquet & Some Girls.

Some Girls sounds like crap, very trebly and hard on the ears, but all songs are excellent, Lies included.

Country Honk disqualifies Let It Bleed.

You Gotta Move disqualifies Sticky Fingers.

Exile has tons of bottom of the barrel tracks.

Bridges to Babylon would be on the list if it wasn't for ASMB and MAGJ.

Goats Head Soup would be on the list if it wasn't for Mr. D.

My sentiments exactly! thumbs up

I tried to be a bit critical, and left out SG on my list, though.

Although sometimes the individual songs aren't necessarily «masterpieces», the album can indeed be that, imo.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:33

Swordfishtrombones

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:43

HMS

I could listen to DESTROYER from back to forth if it weren't for Sweet Pain.

Also the '78 Paul Stanley solo album is almost flawless, in fact it's an amazing rock album, yet completely underrated. The only song off of that album that I don't like is Ain't Quite Right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 13:44 by Hansman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:43

Sticky Fingers is only disqualified by Moonlight Mile.

Indeed there is no Stones-album only filled with "masterpieces". IMO, this would be rather boring. Sometimes you need one or two so-so-songs to make the rest shine really bright.

The only "masterpieces" I can hear on SG are Beast Of Burden & Some Girls. All the rest is just so-so, mostly quite enjoyable but far from being masterpieces. I could easily do without Lies, Imagination, Far Away Eyes, Shattered, Whip - there´s almost nothing truly essential on the album. What an overrated album SG is.

"Who´s next" rules.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 13:48

HMS
Sticky Fingers is only disqualified by Moonlight Mile.

Indeed there is no Stones-album only filled with "masterpieces". IMO, this would be rather boring. Sometimes you need one or two so-so-songs to make the rest shine really bright.

The only "masterpieces" I can hear on SG are Beast Of Burden & Some Girls. All the rest is just so-so, mostly quite enjoyable but far from being masterpieces. I could easily do without Lies, Imagination, Far Away Eyes, Shattered, Whip - there´s almost nothing truly essential on the album. What an overrated album SG is.

"Who´s next" rules.

Sticky Fingers is really an amazing album and I totally love Moonlight Mile. The only song off that album I could live without is You Gotta Move.

Some Girls is their most overrated album in my humble opinion. I almost never listen to it. I don't like most of its songs and I find the production horrible. I never understood what people find so great with that album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 14:11 by Hansman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home