Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: January 2, 2016 03:13

The Stones aren't ones to overshadow themselves. I wait for a post-Exhibitionism announcement on any potential new album or late summer-fall US tour.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 2, 2016 03:57

rbarnes00
The Stones aren't ones to overshadow themselves. I wait for a post-Exhibitionism announcement on any potential new album or late summer-fall US tour.

Except that they did announce Exhibitionism while in the middle of the last tour..

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: January 2, 2016 06:31

I think that's different - the tour was ongoing and was a huge attraction, while the upcoming exhibit won't be as big as a tour, so I think they will try to get as much as possible out of the exhibit. Just a thought.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 2, 2016 19:54

EJM
So some questions for experienced iorrians

why is there so little information about what is going on / what has happened ?
There must be lots of you on the board who have had experience of the stones recording practices before - Is this usual ?

Given the importance of this activity why is this thread not sticky ?

The only clear indication that Keith has actually been present at all is Patti being seen at Bernard's gig ( admittedly pretty good data ) and no pictures, remarks nothing - could this mean that the work has been disappointing or is this how they usually behave ?

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 2, 2016 21:11

KRiffhard
EJM
So some questions for experienced iorrians

why is there so little information about what is going on / what has happened ?
There must be lots of you on the board who have had experience of the stones recording practices before - Is this usual ?

Given the importance of this activity why is this thread not sticky ?

The only clear indication that Keith has actually been present at all is Patti being seen at Bernard's gig ( admittedly pretty good data ) and no pictures, remarks nothing - could this mean that the work has been disappointing or is this how they usually behave ?

The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind!

It is very windy here in London at the moment

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 3, 2016 00:59

Nate... are they still working on it on and off throughout the holidays and here into January for a while or did they leave it for now?

Any info?

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 3, 2016 02:30

IanBillen
Nate... are they still working on it on and off throughout the holidays and here into January for a while or did they leave it for now?

Any info?

I don't know if they are back in the studio yet after Christmas but my guess is that they are as I do know for a fact that they were definitely in the studio before Christmas and I know they are going to Chile in a couple of weeks time to start rehearsals.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 3, 2016 02:34

Nate
IanBillen

Any info?

I don't know if they are back in the studio yet after Christmas but my guess is that they are as I do know for a fact that they were definitely in the studio before Christmas and I know they are going to Chile in a couple of weeks time to start rehearsals.

Nate thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: January 3, 2016 06:30

Nate
IanBillen

Any info?

Nate thumbs up

Awesome.. but just a question .. did they initially <plan> on going into the studio right after Christmas before they had to fly out to Chile to rehearse just as well as their session plans before the holidays ...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 3, 2016 07:29

Nate
IanBillen

Any info?

Nate thumbs up

will they be playing some of their new songs in Chile? would make a lot of sense, they could debut the songs on the road, just like they used to in the early days.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 3, 2016 07:47

Will one of the new songs be an international #1 hit that proves men in their seventies are as vital as young men in their twenties and will we be able to say it is like CROSSEYED HEART with Mick on vocals?

Date: January 3, 2016 08:49

Rocky Dijon
Will one of the new songs be an international #1 hit that proves men in their seventies are as vital as young men in their twenties and will we be able to say it is like CROSSEYED HEART with Mick on vocals?

"We can dream, can't we?"

-Mick Jagger on SNL, 2012

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 3, 2016 09:56

Dreams are welcome. I just prefer to keep both feet on the ground. Looking forward to new music. Not expecting anything earth-shattering or for it to sell a million copies. Seriously doubt they'll road test new songs in South America. Seriously doubt they had a producer on board yet or songs in a particularly advanced state. This was two weeks in the studio to see how things went. Some jamming. Some seeing what the band thought of Mick's demos. When Bernard visited on the last day in the studio, he noted they were not yet at the stage of cutting vocals. This could likely be considered pre-production. The real sessions, provided they think it worthwhile, will occur after the tour and a two week spring break with their families.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 3, 2016 10:08

Rocky Dijon

I for one strongly hope we will not end up with such an impression.

Date: January 3, 2016 10:14

Nate
IanBillen

Any info?

Nate thumbs up

Thanks Nate thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 3, 2016 14:15

Rocky Dijon
Will one of the new songs be an international #1 hit that proves men in their seventies are as vital as young men in their twenties and will we be able to say it is like CROSSEYED HEART with Mick on vocals

Anything that recalls the '68 thru '74 period would be nice....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 3, 2016 15:12

Maindefender
Will one of the new songs be an international #1 hit that proves men in their seventies are as vital as young men in their twenties and will we be able to say it is like CROSSEYED HEART with Mick on vocals

That´s exactly the point why so many of you always complain about everything post-TY. You are living in the past, you expect the Stones to make music from the past. The Stones aren´t living in the past, at least Mick isn´t, so you will never get some old-fashioned SF2 or EOMS2. And so of course you´ll be disappointed when the new album is out.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2016 17:36

Rocky Dijon

If comes as close to the quality of Crosseyed Heart, most Stones fans will be jumping for joy. Not saying it should be a CH II, but something of a similar vibe - no gimmicks and real songs are a recipe for quality. Rather than being viewed by the young generation as weird old men out of touch with reality by attempting to stay hip, they will be respected for their integrity and class ala Keith/Crosseyed Heart.
Attempting to release hits and stay relevant amidst the masses seems beyond futile at this point for 70+ year olds. Just record some real honest music and move on gracefully...

Date: January 3, 2016 18:41

Hairball
Rocky Dijon

If comes as close to the quality of Crosseyed Heart, most Stones fans will be jumping for joy. Not saying it should be a CH II, but something of a similar vibe - no gimmicks and real songs are a recipe for quality. Rather than being viewed by the young generation as weird old men out of touch with reality by attempting to stay hip, they will be respected for their integrity and class ala Keith/Crosseyed Heart.
Attempting to release hits and stay relevant amidst the masses seems beyond futile at this point for 70+ year olds. Just record some real honest music and move on gracefully...

One alternative to both either remain in the box of what Rolling Stones music has been formerly, or (as stated in fright for it) trying to be hip, could be to make more songs in the direction and space that were opened up by "Doom And Gloom". One alternative in addition, would be to employ old sound Stones working method towards ethnic music forms that they have not touched that much, and create songs that would be innovative for the Stones to make. That way the Stones would be able to stretch what Rolling Stones music may comprise. Those two alternatives combined may even have the potential to close the long chapter about the Stones from 1989 onwards and hopefully open a new chapter, obviously somewhat shorter.

If they instead, as advised by some, should adapt the approach of CROSSEYED HEART, I think the end result would be something like a Voodoo Lounge Revisited. Quite nice, but really deeply disappointing.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 3, 2016 19:28

HMS
Maindefender

That´s exactly the point why so many of you always complain about everything post-TY. You are living in the past, you expect the Stones to make music from the past. The Stones aren´t living in the past, at least Mick isn´t, so you will never get some old-fashioned SF2 or EOMS2. And so of course you´ll be disappointed when the new album is out.

To my ears CH recalled a more classical style, and it was just recorded within the last 2-3 years. And yes I think the Stones can execute something on those lines with of course a more Stonesy feel.

And HMS don't you tell me how I will react to the next album or label my intentions. Either way I'm eagerly awaiting its' release and I'll gladly analyze but not on your terms.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 3, 2016 19:40

Witness
Hairball
Rocky Dijon

One alternative to both either remain in the box of what Rolling Stones music has been formerly, or (as stated in fright for it) trying to be hip, could be to make more songs in the direction and space that were opened up by "Doom And Gloom". One alternative in addition, would be to employ old sound Stones working method towards ethnic music forms that they have not touched that much, and create songs that would be innovative for the Stones to make. That way the Stones would be able to stretch what Rolling Stones music may comprise. Those two alternatives combined may even have the potential to close the long chapter about the Stones from 1989 onwards and hopefully open a new chapter, obviously somewhat shorter.

If they instead, as advised by some, should adapt the approach of CROSSEYED HEART, I think the end result would be something like a Voodoo Lounge Revisited. Quite nice, but really deeply disappointing.

In the direction of Doom and Gloom?
Hopefully they stay far away from that as it's about as generic and run-of-the-mill as it could possibly get. There's nothing innovative about it - it sounds like latter day Aerosmith for crying out loud
As for ethnic music forms you may be on to something, but other than Reggae ala Lover Overdue can't think of anything they would experiment further with at this late point in the game.
Some blues, country, soul, rock, reggae, and R&B with minimal production gimmicks would be the key to a great album imo (see Crosseyed Heart).

Date: January 3, 2016 19:51

Well, I did not in the least advocate a retro approach to what they have done before. ( Reread the second paragraph of my preceding post.)

Date: January 3, 2016 20:02

Hairball
Witness
Hairball
Rocky Dijon

In the direction of Doom and Gloom?
Hopefully they stay far away from that as it's about as generic and run-of-the-mill as it could possibly get. There's nothing innovative about it - it sounds like latter day Aerosmith for crying out loud

As for ethnic music forms you may be on to something, but other than Reggae ala Lover Overdue can't think of anything they would experiment further with at this late point in the game.
Some blues, country, soul, rock, reggae, and R&B with minimal production gimmicks would be the key to a great album imo (see Crosseyed Heart).

thumbs up
Doom and Gloom? Only a decent Mick's solo demo and nothing more.

Date: January 3, 2016 20:45

Somewhat apart from my wishthinking for non-retro uses of ethnic music forms that they have not touched that much, worked up in Stones song contexts, "Doom And Gloom" on the other hand to me, without being exactly like them, has some parallel in a couple of songs they made in the late 1960s. When it was made available, I remember I thought about "Street Fighting Man". So one or two more songs in that musical terrain, when they are that much different in between them all the same, I believe could be much interesting. So much more if given a solid band treatment. That would have given a new album some mighty ingredients, in my opinion.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 3, 2016 21:26

KRiffhard

Doom And Gloom is a great Stones-song, almost as great as One Hit To Body. Listening to Doom And Gloom for the first time in 2012 is one of my most exciting experiences of being a Stones-fan. Even more exciting than listening to Highwire for the first time. It knocked me out completely, left me breathless, gasping for air.

Date: January 3, 2016 21:58

HMS
KRiffhard

Doom And Gloom is a great Stones-song, almost as great as One Hit To Body. Listening to Doom And Gloom for the first time in 2012 is one of my most exciting experiences of being a Stones-fan. Even more exciting than listening to Highwire for the first time. It knocked me out completely, left me breathless, gasping for air.

You get so excited just for that?!
Good for you! It doesn't happen to me since 'Tattoo You' and Keith's 'Take it so hard'!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 3, 2016 22:20

HMS
KRiffhard

??????????????????????????????????spinning smiley sticking its tongue out One drink too many, HMS ??
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-03 22:21 by corriecas.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:25

corriecas
HMS
KRiffhard

??????????????????????????????????spinning smiley sticking its tongue out One drink too many, HMS ??
Jeroen

One hit is not a great song by any stretch of the imagination, although certainly better than Highwire which I'd lump in with Don't Stop as amongst the most generic sounding stones songs ever.

Doom & Gloom was a breath of fresh air. Pity they couldn't play it live very well.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:31

Well, i Like One Hit, Highwire, Sexdrive more than Doom and One more shot.
and the women in Sexdrive, oh boy the women in the un-censored clip of Sexdrive!!!

I really like Mick, for doing that. hahaha

Jeroen

ps but i agree, except for One Hit, they are crap songs.
jeroen

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:34

corriecas
Well, i Like One Hit, Highwire, Sexdrive more than Doom and One more shot.
and the women in Sexdrive, oh boy the women in the un-censored clip of Sexdrive!!!

I really like Mick, for doing that. hahaha

Jeroen

ps but i agree, except for One Hit, they are crap songs.
jeroen

well, one hit's certainly the best toon on Dirty Work, by a mile, I'll give you that! And I'm not going to argue you against nudity!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home