Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 147
Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 02:56

Harlem Shuffler
alimente
GasLightStreet
Those 4 new LICKS songs... Don't Stop is OK, at least it's got a beat to it, and Losing My Touch is nicely done. The other two stink the place up. They're 4th rate filler. There's ZERO about them that stand out (other than how bad they are). Keys To Your Love and Stealing My Heart sound like the Stones working really hard at not sounding like the Stones, which in the past worked great for the most part.

They're just a bunch of noise. They make most of A BIGGER BANG sound like EXILE.

A bit harsh, maybe, but as usual the proof is in the pudding - I never feel the desire to listen to these tracks. They're just so...pale in comparison to other Stones material. Don't Stop is, agreed, quite ok, and would have been enough for 40 Licks. I used to like it more back then, but it wore off so quickly.
Well, just for the sake of a bit of balance, I genuinely think all four tracks are very good. If they replaced the four worst tracks on A Bigger Bang - a tough call as to what they may be - that album would have been improved immensely.

i think that puts the 4 GRRR tracks in the right perspective.... yes, they are "good" in the sense that they are better than the 4 worst tracks on ABB. On the other hand, not one of the 4 is as good as the worst song on, say, Some Girls much less Let it Bleed or even Between the Buttons.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 3, 2015 04:14

Harlem Shuffler
alimente
GasLightStreet
Those 4 new LICKS songs... Don't Stop is OK, at least it's got a beat to it, and Losing My Touch is nicely done. The other two stink the place up. They're 4th rate filler. There's ZERO about them that stand out (other than how bad they are). Keys To Your Love and Stealing My Heart sound like the Stones working really hard at not sounding like the Stones, which in the past worked great for the most part.

They're just a bunch of noise. They make most of A BIGGER BANG sound like EXILE.

A bit harsh, maybe, but as usual the proof is in the pudding - I never feel the desire to listen to these tracks. They're just so...pale in comparison to other Stones material. Don't Stop is, agreed, quite ok, and would have been enough for 40 Licks. I used to like it more back then, but it wore off so quickly.
Well, just for the sake of a bit of balance, I genuinely think all four tracks are very good. If they replaced the four worst tracks on A Bigger Bang - a tough call as to what they may be - that album would have been improved immensely.

Which does not exactly speak for ABB... But, yes, I agree that those four are better than let's say Infamy, Sweet Neo Con, Driving Too Fast, Dangerous Beauty - other may dislike different ABB tracks more, but I see what you mean.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 3, 2015 09:07

with sssoul

Mick has said that Keith was somewhat obsessed with Please Please Me in the 60s
and apparently he still hadn't gotten over it - although these are more like snippets than covers.
I love his commentary on the Voodoo one: "Horrible Beatles bridge - I'm not gonna play it!" [then he plays it]
"I coulda written it better" :E

Probably not at the time of it's original release though. grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 3, 2015 09:07

GasLightStreet

I was trying to remember what you said. I sort of got it. smoking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:14

Turner68
Harlem Shuffler
alimente
GasLightStreet

i think that puts the 4 GRRR tracks in the right perspective.... yes, they are "good" in the sense that they are better than the 4 worst tracks on ABB. On the other hand, not one of the 4 is as good as the worst song on, say, Some Girls much less Let it Bleed or even Between the Buttons.

They're on FORTY LICKS... although Don't Stop somehow made it onto FIFTY LICKS.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:27

GasLightStreet

You are being too harsh. I like the SOLO on KEYS TO YOUR LOVE; it sound sunlike anything else in the Stones CATALOGUE.

Olly.

Date: November 3, 2015 16:39

Olly
GasLightStreet

You are being too harsh. I like the SOLO on KEYS TO YOUR LOVE; it sound sunlike anything else in the Stones CATALOGUE.

No I'm not. Sometimes the truth is brutal and those songs are brutally bad. They're mall music.

The New Stones Record
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 3, 2015 02:26

Hi folks! It's been a while. I wanted to talk about the Stones upcoming new album.

It should be a good one.. they have a bunch of things to write about. Since 2005's disappointing A Bigger Bang. Jagger's loss, Ronnie's wild affairs... hopefully Bill gets invited to record as well as Mick Taylor... Charlie well Charlie is Charlie and without him there will be no record. I also think a change in productions duties is key... although Keith and Don Was did a great record producing Aaron Neville a few years ago, I would give Daniel Lanois a shot or Booket T Jones or hey why not Chris Kimsey - Ry Cooder would be awesome.

Anyways I share my happiness The Stones are going to make some good music again.

Peace.

Loudei

Re: The New Stones Record
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2015 02:40

There is a lot of speculation and rumors, but nothing is sure. See also here:

[www.iorr.org]

Date: November 3, 2015 02:53

we can play stones albums by numbers....

there's a pretty standard formula:

1 mick trying to sound contemporary track (emotional rescue, undercover, anybody seen my baby)

1 upbeat, rocking/heavy on the hooks number, written to be the single (trying to emulate brown sugar, tumbling dice, miss you, etc.)

1 harder rocking number for the rockers in the crowd (bitch, rip this joint, street fighting man, whip comes down)

1 harder rocking, hooky number, in hopes that there will be a second single (one hit to the body, rock and a hard place, etc.)

1 ballad (almost hear you sigh, wild horses, no expectations)

1-2 blues/blues rock (i got the blues/you gotta move; break the spell/hearts for sale; prodigal son/stray cat blues)

1 country (far away eyes, sweet virginia, dead flowers, blinded by love)

2 keith songs (one ballad, one medium tempo pop/rock: can't be seen/slipping away)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 02:54 by Turner68.

Posted by: aliceinseattle ()
Date: November 3, 2015 03:09

Oh, I so hope. I can't wait to run down to the record store and buy it. I love record stores. Nothing like them. Album art is the super best.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 3, 2015 05:03

Bill Wyman's inclusion seems a "long shot".

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: November 3, 2015 05:06

Turner68

1 mick trying to sound contemporary track (emotional rescue, undercover, anybody seen my baby)

1 upbeat, rocking/heavy on the hooks number, written to be the single (trying to emulate brown sugar, tumbling dice, miss you, etc.)

1 harder rocking number for the rockers in the crowd (bitch, rip this joint, street fighting man, whip comes down)

1 harder rocking, hooky number, in hopes that there will be a second single (one hit to the body, rock and a hard place, etc.)

1-2 blues/blues rock (i got the blues/you gotta move; break the spell/hearts for sale; prodigal son/stray cat blues)

2 keith songs (one ballad, one medium tempo pop/rock: can't be seen/slipping away)

You´re such a cynic...and I LIKE IT!

Date: November 3, 2015 08:40

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 3, 2015 10:13

Turner68

...or 3/4 good songs and 7/8 fillers with many Mick's solo demos.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:14

According to Keith - either x-mas time or earliest in April 2016...

[stonesnews.com]

The Rolling Stones could begin work on their first new album in a decade by Christmas, Keith Richards has said.
The 71-year-old told the Sunday Times Magazine that the band was better than ever and discussions about the new album had already started, with initial writing getting underway before the end of the year.
The guitarist said he wanted to get the band in the studio after their South American tour in early 2016.
“I’d love to shove them in the studio in April, hot off the road,” he said. “These guys aren’t getting any younger but at the same time, they’ve getting better.
"I love studios even when they're empty. There's that little hum. Silence is your canvas. You look out there and you think 'Ah the possibilities.'"
The new music will be the first recording since the band’s 2005 album A Bigger Bang.

Keith Richards has hinted that the Rolling Stones may soon be getting back together to work on their first album since 2005. The longtime rockers are due to tour South America early next year, but Richards said the band had had a “little chat” about recording new material.

Richards told the Sunday Times Magazine the band had met in London recently. He said: “These guys aren’t getting any younger, but at the same time, they’re getting better. I’d love to shove them in the studio in April, hot off the road.” It has been 10 years since the Stones released their last album, A Bigger Bang.

The 71-year-old also revealed he never thought he’d “get this far”. He said: “It’s my turn for growing old. I never thought I’d get this far. Now, I have to think about this and wonder what to do with it. I don’t know, man.”

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:17

I'm in...I've sent amazon an email indicating I'd like to be first in line for pre-ordering.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:32

The optimism (and naivete) in this thread is contagious. I suspect this new record will be as good as Exile On Main Street. I wonder what the name of the new CD will be? I'm thinking "Return To Main Street". smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 19:48 by Bungo.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 3, 2015 21:42

Bungo
I suspect this new record will be as good as Exile On Main Street.

That would mean a good-very good but NOT great album. And it would also mean a too long album.

Date: November 4, 2015 01:32

HMS
Bungo
I suspect this new record will be as good as Exile On Main Street.

That would mean a good-very good but NOT great album. And it would also mean a too long album.

...and it goes without saying it would also create a legion of armchair critics pontificating about every one of the albums nuances.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:38

treaclefingers
I'm in...I've sent amazon an email indicating I'd like to be first in line for pre-ordering.

So, you are pre-queueing to the pre-ordering then Treacles? Sounds great. But I wonder what Gaslightstreet has to say about that?

Date: November 4, 2015 01:42

Stoneage
treaclefingers

So, you are pre-queueing to the pre-ordering then Treacles? Sounds great. But I wonder what Gaslightstreet has to say about that?

I've paid him to hold my place in line...I presume he's fine with it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:48

treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers

I presume so. I guess he prefered to be pre-paid then...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 4, 2015 15:17

Mick and Keith are writing songs together in a collaborative fashion that probably hasn't been seen since the late '60s. I would say that longtime fans of the Rolling Stones will be thrilled with these results, and new fans will understand why they're the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
Don Was, december 2004

...and now, some more useless nonsense for next album too?! Oh no!

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: November 4, 2015 15:28

As "A Bigger Bang" to me was the weakest they've ever done I am not sure if I need another "new" one.Better check the vaults intensively and bring some real diamonds!

Date: November 4, 2015 17:04

Stoneage
treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers

I presume so. I guess he prefered to be pre-paid then...

I get pre-notices about these things before they pre-happen. Whence therefor I pre-know and therefor I am pre-informed about pre-actions and it makes me pre-happy.

Date: November 4, 2015 17:13

NoPanic
As "A Bigger Bang" to me was the weakest they've ever done I am not sure if I need another "new" one.Better check the vaults intensively and bring some real diamonds!

Well, between that statement and HMS' DIRTY WORK being a great album and EXILE only being "good-very good but NOT great album" it's clear that both of you are in dire need of professional help since NOTHING is as bad as DIRTY WORK.

It could be said and now I will say it - a compilation of other songs could possibly match up to the abomination that is DIRTY WORK with tracks like

Oh No Not You Again
Already Suffering (oh wait... it's... Over Me - whatever)
Always Suffering
Rock And A Hard Place
Streets Of Love
Following The River
Might At Well Get Juiced
Gunface
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
Sweethearts Together
Blinded By Rainbows
Sweet Neo Con
Hold On To Your Hat

Sure, that's a longer album than DIRTY WORK is so it automatically wins. DIRTY WORK's saving abilities of not being worse than that only exist with Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Had It With You, maybe the title track and Sleep Tonight. TSMR is not very good but the songs on it that are are fantastic so doesn't qualify as easily as DW does.

Date: November 4, 2015 17:17

GasLightStreet
NoPanic

Well, between that statement and HMS' DIRTY WORK being a great album and EXILE only being "good-very good but NOT great album" it's clear that both of you are in dire need of professional help since NOTHING is as bad as DIRTY WORK.

It could be said and now I will say it - a compilation of other songs could possibly match up to the abomination that is DIRTY WORK with tracks like

Oh No Not You Again
Always Suffering
Rock And A Hard Place
Streets Of Love
Following The River
Might At Well Get Juiced
Gunface
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
Sweethearts Together
Blinded By Rainbows
Sweet Neo Con
Hold On To Your Hat

Sure, that's a longer album than DIRTY WORK is so it automatically wins. DIRTY WORK's saving abilities of not being worse than that only exist with Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Had It With You, maybe the title track and Sleep Tonight. TSMR is not very good but the songs on it that are are fantastic so doesn't qualify as easily as DW does.

you could throw "silver train" "short and curlies" and "melody" on that compilation too....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:27

GasLightStreet
Always Suffering
Rock And A Hard Place
Streets Of Love
Following The River
Sweethearts Together
Blinded By Rainbows
Sweet Neo Con

I agree with above listed songs as being "awful bad". The ones I´ve excluded are not bad, some good-very good, imo.

You have listed five songs from DW that are at least okay for you if I understood you right - that´s about half of the album, so DW cannot be that horrible...cool smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:43

EXILE FROM RETIREMENT

Could be a Great name for a new album
that will be as good as Exile on Main Street.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home