Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 147
Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: November 11, 2015 11:26

proudmary
I for one love Mick Jagger' singing. Mick's voice with all his idiosyncrasies, his phrasing, his tone, that Jagger attitude with all the sarcastic put downs and occasional bursts of vulnerability - all this is one of the main reasons why I am a fan of this band.
Sure his voice changed with age, he is 72 not 25 or 33 anymore - I understand that. I hear that too. And at the same time: someone may think that Alfie is terrible, but for me Old Habits Die Hard is a great song, I can't get enough of it.
You say Exile bonus disk is horrible - I think Plundered My Soul is one of their best songs of all time, easily in my top five (or ten, it does not matter)
I listen constantly to Some Girls bonus disc, it's my favorite album of the last few years.
I like the sound of Mick voice on Doom and Gloom
I was trilled when I heard his performance of Moonlight Mile this year.
So, yes, I miss that voice, Mick Jagger voice which is still able to touch me, to go under my skin. I want to hear the new material, something that I have not heard yet, something unknown. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new Stones album.

I do not think I'm in the minority among Stones fans.But on this forum as it now - definitely.

I totally agree with your statement: with one exception: I don´t think we are in the minority hersmiling smiley)))

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: November 11, 2015 12:41

GetYerAngie
proudmary
I for one love Mick Jagger' singing. Mick's voice with all his idiosyncrasies, his phrasing, his tone, that Jagger attitude with all the sarcastic put downs and occasional bursts of vulnerability - all this is one of the main reasons why I am a fan of this band.
Sure his voice changed with age, he is 72 not 25 or 33 anymore - I understand that. I hear that too. And at the same time: someone may think that Alfie is terrible, but for me Old Habits Die Hard is a great song, I can't get enough of it.
You say Exile bonus disk is horrible - I think Plundered My Soul is one of their best songs of all time, easily in my top five (or ten, it does not matter)
I listen constantly to Some Girls bonus disc, it's my favorite album of the last few years.
So, yes, I miss that voice, Mick Jagger voice which is still able to touch me, to go under my skin. I want to hear the new material, something that I have not heard yet, something unknown. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new Stones album.

I do not think I'm in the minority among Stones fans.But on this forum as it now - definitely.

+1.

I think Keith's soloalbum was his best - but it is hard to listen to album with only Keith's voice. If he should have a vocal-track on the hopefully forthcoming album, I hope it's not more than one. What I long for too is the GHS-deluxe (and the rumoured fantastic track, Scarlett). I hope that will follow the new album next year.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2015 13:44

When, next year? After the Olé tour?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 11, 2015 14:54

wandering spirit
proudmary

I totally agree with your statement: with one exception: I don´t think we are in the minority here:))))

No, you are not....very well said, PM, and I also very much enjoy Old Habits and think Mick's singing there is heartfelt and lovely.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2015 15:31

HMS
If Mick Jagger´s singing is whiny and thin like on Alfie & Superheavy or the Exile-bonus-CD (horrible singing) they maybe should not record an album at all.

There are a couple of tracks on Alfie that are good.

EXILE extras Pass The Wine, Plundered and Signifying don't have a "whiny and thin" vocal. The rest of them don't either.

If you want to be taken seriously you'll need to drop the DIRTY WORK obsession. Talk about "winy and thin"...

Date: November 11, 2015 15:39

GasLightStreet
HMS
If Mick Jagger´s singing is whiny and thin like on Alfie & Superheavy or the Exile-bonus-CD (horrible singing) they maybe should not record an album at all.

EXILE extras Pass The Wine, Plundered and Signifying don't have a "whiny and thin" vocal. The rest of them don't either.

If you want to be taken seriously you'll need to drop the DIRTY WORK obsession. Talk about "winy and thin"...

DW aside, and in fairness, Plundered My Soul, So Divine, Following The River, When You're Gone, the overdubbed parts of Love You Too Much, No Spare Parts, Don't Be A Stranger, Blind Leading The Blind and a few others all have THAT vocal, imo.

But there is great stuff on those albums as well, so there is no doubt Mick can do an album with just as awesome singing as on Doom And Gloom, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 15:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 11, 2015 15:41

HMS
HMS
The days of his strong and powerful DW-voice have long gone unfortunately.

But Mick´s voice deteriorated, if you cant hear that on Alfie and Superheavy, you seem to need a new set of ears. You dont have to be insane to notice that Mick´s singing is not what it used to be, the whiny and thin voice started on ABB and is very, very obvious on the Exile-Bonus-CD. That´s not insanity or nonsense, that´s fact.

The biggest fact is you have deluded yourself into thinking Mick's voice was "strong and powerful" on DIRTY WORK among other things.

On most songs it's abrasive and grating. It's thin and whiny on Had It With You to good effect - it cuts through the mid and high range of that tune.

But his recent stuff is nowhere near as offensive as it is on DIRTY WORK. His vocal on Plundered My Soul is fantastic. Aside from the shit songs on A BIGGER BANG there is good singing: Rough Justice, It Won't Take Long, Biggest Mistake, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh... Let Me Down Slow.

You just need to step away from the falsehood of DIRTY WORK. It has given you such bunk preponderant ideas of what's good.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2015 15:42

GasLightStreet
HMS

Whiny, thin, nasal and too forced vocal...like on Don Henley's 'Bramble Rose'. Irritating voice.

Date: November 11, 2015 15:44

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
HMS

DW aside, and in fairness, Plundered My Soul, So Divine, Following The River, When You're Gone, the overdubbed parts of Love You Too Much, No Spare Parts, Don't Be A Stranger, Blind Leading The Blind and a few others all have THAT vocal, imo.

But there is great stuff on those albums as well, so there is no doubt Mick can do an album with just as awesome singing as on Doom And Gloom, imo.

I don't hear thin and whiny on Plundered, No Spare Parts... the rest of those songs I can't comment on having only listened to them a couple of times. They're awful, although I recall So Divine enough that it is a bit... irritating.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:13

Don't they have auto-tune these days? The biggest popstars nowadays can't sing at all, but with auto-tune everyone can! Wouldn't that be something for The Commander's weakened voice?
I'd bet it would get rid of the nasality too!

Date: November 11, 2015 16:15

Stoneage
Don't they have auto-tune these days? The biggest popstars nowadays can't sing at all, but with auto-tune everyone can! Wouldn't that be something for The Commander's weakened voice?

I was corrected by a fellow poster here on Mick's vocals on Sticky Fingers Live (Moonlight Mile). They used auto-tune on his vocals there smiling smiley

Date: November 11, 2015 16:21

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

I was corrected by a fellow poster here on Mick's vocals on Sticky Fingers Live (Moonlight Mile). They used auto-tune on his vocals there smiling smiley

WHAT!!!!!!!!???????

Are you serious?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:22

One can start to notice the "thin & whiny"-problem on ABB here and there, most obviously on Laugh I Nearly Died. For the rest of the songs his voice is in good shape, but sometimes forced. It doesnt come as easy as it used to.

Regarding the Exil-Bonus-songs, they all sound like a desperate attempt to sound like in the early 70s, but Mick fails completely. And the main problem with his singing is that his voice not only sounds thin and whiny but seems to have lost all warmth, it sounds so steril and cold, metallic.

On Doom And Gloom he sings very good and sounds good too, I guess they have used some "sound make-up" to hide those things that can be clearly noticed on Alfie and Superheavy. On Superheavy his voice is annoying all the way, on Alfie he almost ruins the better songs with that thread-thin whiny singing. Listen to the acoustic version of Blind Leading The Blind, it´s terrible. Old Habbits Die Hard is a nice song but his singing is not good, it is pale and without power, it´s Jagger with his voice remarkeably changed but trying hard to pretend it hadn´t. So it all sounds forced, affected and in some way "strange".

Strangely enough, on stage he can still do pretty well with the warhorses, but with new songs in a studio-setting he sounds kind of strange, he tries to hard and in fact his voice has really gotten thin. Plundered My Soul is a very good example for nasal,thin and whiny singing. Something happened to his voice and singing around 2005-2007 this cannot be denied. Maybe his taking vocal lessons do more harm than good. Maybe he should lower his voice a bit to avoid that "thin & whiny"-effects.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:24

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

WHAT!!!!!!!!???????

Are you serious?

Yep, check out the thread. I don't remember who the poster is, but he posted a before and after on a phrasing in there...

You could hear it was the same vocals, and not from a different show, but the official release is in tune smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 16:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:28

I think his voice sounds good on tour, and what better measure is there of that?

We have to assume the sound they get in the studio is the sound they are going for, especially since he sings well live.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head when you talk about trying too hard. He didn't take himself too seriously as a singer in the 60s and as a result was excellent - had that unique sound that defined the band as much as Keith's guitars.

In the 70s he thought it didn't matter how he sung apparently and we got the awful shouting and barking that ruined in some cases the rest of the band's finest performances (72,75,78 tours).

In 89 he actually started trying to sing well technically, and it worked very well for a while. However, he was trying so hard to sing "properly" that he forgot to give the songs the emotion and depth that they once had. "Rocks Off" would be a great example - it's like he's singing words and notes, not a song. This to me is the biggest issue with his singing in the Vegas Era.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:30

I think he started with to sing well in 1981 already, Turner. And 1978 wasn't really bad compared to 72-76. Listen to All Down The Line, Love In Vain and HTW for comparisons.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:37

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

WHAT!!!!!!!!???????

Are you serious?

Yep, check out the thread. I don't remember who the poster is, but he posted a before and after on a phrasing in there...

You could hear it was the same vocals, and not from a different show, but the official release is in tune smiling smiley

Eh, which thread!!!?? I dunno. I did a search but I have no idea which one to look at.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 16:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:47

i bumped it for you.

Date: November 11, 2015 16:50

Thanks, Turner. You beat me to the punch, he he smiling smiley

Date: November 11, 2015 16:54

Thanks.

Date: November 11, 2015 17:05

I believe I found it, page 9 I think it was, but it's no longer available, the usual copyright thing, whatever.

Date: November 11, 2015 17:13

GasLightStreet
I believe I found it, page 9 I think it was, but it's no longer available, the usual copyright thing, whatever.

Yeah, it's also on the last page, but not available... Ask the poster to post it again when you bump into him.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 11, 2015 17:14

latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary

I totally agree with your statement: with one exception: I don´t think we are in the minority here:))))

No, you are not....very well said, PM, and I also very much enjoy Old Habits and think Mick's singing there is heartfelt and lovely.

It's cool, bloomer and ws, but - if we are the majority - how come that a group of four to five people with their deranged anti-Jagger agenda was able to hijack this board totally? They post every day multiple times in different threads on the same old topic - how horrible everything Jagger is( of course they are precisely those who ejaculate constantly on the new KR album). One starts, then the rest of them are catching up, they encourage each other, give thumbs,dropping the foam from the mouth
No one is arguing with them, not saying to shut the f*** up. Their verbal diarrhea is f***ing tiring and annoying. That's so f***ing boring! Enough!!!
Is it surprising that so many people stopped to post here? As for me - I try and avoid this place. As Lem said nothing really change here. what the @#$%& I need to read for the thousandth time KRiffhard'/HMS'/ Turner' lunacy about anything regarding Mick. And sure DandelionPowderman or GasLightStreet are right there in the middle of action to provoke them further without actually saying the most odious things themselves.
I think Doxa said exactly that the other day when he was attacked by all
  I really do not understand how bv tolerates this situation - after all he argues that he is against campaigns

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 17:20

Does anybody here has seen the boys togeter this days in London?!Keith is still in US?!

Date: November 11, 2015 17:22

HMS
One can start to notice the "thin & whiny"-problem on ABB here and there, most obviously on Laugh I Nearly Died. For the rest of the songs his voice is in good shape, but sometimes forced. It doesnt come as easy as it used to.

Regarding the Exil-Bonus-songs, they all sound like a desperate attempt to sound like in the early 70s, but Mick fails completely. And the main problem with his singing is that his voice not only sounds thin and whiny but seems to have lost all warmth, it sounds so steril and cold, metallic.

On Doom And Gloom he sings very good and sounds good too, I guess they have used some "sound make-up" to hide those things that can be clearly noticed on Alfie and Superheavy. On Superheavy his voice is annoying all the way, on Alfie he almost ruins the better songs with that thread-thin whiny singing. Listen to the acoustic version of Blind Leading The Blind, it´s terrible. Old Habbits Die Hard is a nice song but his singing is not good, it is pale and without power, it´s Jagger with his voice remarkeably changed but trying hard to pretend it hadn´t. So it all sounds forced, affected and in some way "strange".

Strangely enough, on stage he can still do pretty well with the warhorses, but with new songs in a studio-setting he sounds kind of strange, he tries to hard and in fact his voice has really gotten thin. Plundered My Soul is a very good example for nasal,thin and whiny singing. Something happened to his voice and singing around 2005-2007 this cannot be denied. Maybe his taking vocal lessons do more harm than good. Maybe he should lower his voice a bit to avoid that "thin & whiny"-effects.

Plundered, Mick does a great job of the EXILE vibe with his pronouncing the words in abstract ways. "I wrote a letter full of trite confessions about wounds that heal" has some nice twisting to it with the way he sings "trite con-fesssions about wounds that heauh". "I heard some gossip you've become an alcoholic, you’re dryin’ out" has a great one with the 'you've' being almost inaudible going into the "become an alkahawlick" but better yet is "Iyeahadsomegossip yuuuve become annnalkahawlick". His phrasing on Plundered is very EXILE as well. "I hate quittin’ but I’m close to admittin’ I’m a sorry case" is hilariously slurred just enough. It's vintage Mick. His attack is a bit more sharp than it was in 1971 but it's not... thin and whiny.

"It's my heart that you stollllllleee" is so EXILEd it's fantastic. You can feel the room in that stole when he comes down.

Date: November 11, 2015 17:23

If Mick was to sing on the new Stones album that hasn't happened like he did on Plundered then we're in for a treat. Otherwise...

Date: November 11, 2015 17:37

proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary

It's cool, bloomer and ws, but - if we are the majority - how come that a group of four to five people with their deranged anti-Jagger agenda was able to hijack this board totally? They post every day multiple times in different threads on the same old topic - how horrible everything Jagger is( of course they are precisely those who ejaculate constantly on the new KR album). One starts, then the rest of them are catching up, they encourage each other, give thumbs,dropping the foam from the mouth
No one is arguing with them, not saying to shut the f*** up. Their verbal diarrhea is f***ing tiring and annoying. That's so f***ing boring! Enough!!!
Is it surprising that so many people stopped to post here? As for me - I try and avoid this place. As Lem said nothing really change here. what the @#$%& I need to read for the thousandth time KRiffhard'/HMS'/ Turner' lunacy about anything regarding Mick. And sure DandelionPowderman or GasLightStreet are right there in the middle of action to provoke them further without actually saying the most odious things themselves.
  I really do not understand how bv tolerates this situation - after all he argues that he is against campaigns

ProudMary, I had to look up odious. I would tend to agree with that, although it might be a tad bit heavy. It seems you've missed the times I've praised-heralded-defended-whatever Mick etc, and for shit's sake, even his guitar playing, unlike Keith, who thinks Mick totally stinks on guitar. When WANDERING SPIRIT came out, if iorr.org was around then I'd've been all over it saying how great it was and what a relief that Mick finally did something good and blah blah blah.

Date: November 11, 2015 17:47

proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2015 17:57

proudmary
latebloomer
wandering spirit
proudmary

...all nonsense. thumbs down

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home