Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 145
Re: Cut The Warhorses In Half
Date: April 15, 2016 15:51

I prefer warhorses over warponies...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:01

DandelionPowderman

What is a warpony? So you mean you would prefer to hear Brown Sugar again for the 2000th time live, rather than something played far less often, such as Moonlight Mile? If so, I'll never understand that.

Date: April 15, 2016 16:04

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

What is a warpony? So you mean you would prefer to hear Brown Sugar again for the 2000th time live, rather than something played far less often, such as Moonlight Mile? If so, I'll never understand that.

I was referring to the thread title winking smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:07

It's an old debate at this point, but I agree. I mean - do we really HAVE to have Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women, Miss You, Sympathy, IORR and Tumbling Dice at EVERY single show?

But - like everyone says - the crowd does love those tunes, and when they pull out the deep cuts we (here) all want - the 90+% of the crowd loses interest.

Licks Tour was the true fan's dream tour - so glad I saw it at the Boston Orpheum!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:20

Pecman
The Stones need to cut the Warhorses in Half.

You mean playing shorter versions? That would make time for other songs.

But the Stones need nothing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 15, 2016 16:21

It doesn't matter any more. They are playing on overtime now.

Date: April 15, 2016 16:32

Stoneage
It doesn't matter any more. They are playing on overtime now.

Let's see...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:09

Sadly, that's not likely to happen as much as some of us would love it. Today's concerts are too full of casual fans who want to see the legendary Rolling Stones and hear the hits just the way they remember them...and Mick knows it all too well. He's been catering to that crowd since 1989.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:11

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

I was referring to the thread title winking smiley

Ah, sorry!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:29

Sadly, I don't think this will ever happen. To replace warhorses with deep cuts would require more time and effort from the band than they're willing to give. I think that, for the most part, they're running on autopilot--and perhaps that's deserved after 50+ years. It's all about giving the people what they want (and most Stones concertgoers likely only care about the warhorses) and selling more greatest hits packages.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 15, 2016 18:25

Actually, there's a whole batch of Warhorses that they don't play regularly that could be mixed in. For real hits:

Love Is Strong
Beast
Shattered
Heartbreaker
Waiting
Ain't Too Proud
Street Fighting
Ruby
Dandelion
Rainbow
19th
GOOMC
Thumb
Last Time

etc.

even Anybody Seen
These songs are known to almost everyone

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:12

dunno....JJF at 1 minute 46 seconds? I guess they could drop the intro and one of the verses.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:38

Not going to happen. As long as they are packing arenas the formula works. I think by next tour though they will have to change it up a bit. Maybe add Street Fighting Man, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Rocks Off and eliminate something like Midnight Rambler. I could always go for a few that haven't been played in while like Loving Cup and 2,000 Light Years from Home and Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 15, 2016 19:52

They have enough hits to mix up the warhorse section.

Let's Spend The Night Together
It's all over now
Get off of my cloud
The last time
19th nervous breakdown
Ruby tuesday
Street fighting man
Harlem shuffle
Undercover
Etc.

They don't need to play the same hits every concert to keep the casual fans entertained. There are many more to choose from.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: April 15, 2016 20:01

People, we went through this so many times. During the Latin America tour, there was a long setlist thread. I think everything has been said about warhorses, rarities etc. Can't we just enjoy the fact that these guys in their 70's still tour?

Date: April 15, 2016 20:39

FrankG
People, we went through this so many times. During the Latin America tour, there was a long setlist thread. I think everything has been said about warhorses, rarities etc. Can't we just enjoy the fact that these guys in their 70's still tour?

No...we cant.

Its past time for them to listen to and play for the true fans.

Not the people that buy a ticket and bring their kids, take selfies with kids and Mick behind them just to say the saw them.

Don't play for the people that never bought one album or have no clue who Bobby Keys was etc....

Play a concrete for the fans ...the people that can't wait to see them. Get excited if the play Moon Light Mile...Sway...etc.

Come on Mick..WE WANT TO SEE THE BAD ASS MOTHER F-ING ROLLING STONES ONE MORE TIME

Rip this Joint, Respectable, Raw, Raunchy, Loose, Slopy Rock and Roll....Only the way the Stones can do it.

It is time and time is not our our side anymore

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:26

Gimme a full WarHorse, a glazed doughnut and bottle of anything... TO GO

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:33

I like the "DEEP CUTS" title for the next tour. I like the title "DEEP CUTS" for the next album also. It would give the tour a double meaning!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:55

For the hundredandsecond time: They won´t change anything, it works brilliantly for them the way it is. They won´t drop Midnight Rambler. Yes, the have another dozen of warhorses that are hits and that are not part of the setlist. But the Stones would have to invest more time in rehearsing these songs as they obviously want to. 50.000 are cheering, why change the setlist and rehearse for months? Most people go to a Stones-concert to hear exactly those songs that are on the setlist now, many people see the Stones once in their lifetime and they do want to hear the so-called warhorses. They havent heard Satisfaction and Brown Sugar in concert for 2000 times, they never heard it in concert before. They come for their very best known songs, not for Sitting On A Fence, Winter, Fingerprint File or Mixed Emotions. The Stones give the people what they want, at least what the majority wants. You cannot sell 50.000 seats if you not give the people what they want and the Stones are aware of that. The dont play primarly for die-hards, they play for an average audience of people who knows only a small part of the Stones´ catalog.

I m a casual Deep-Purple-listener and I would be very disappointed not to hear Highway Star, Lazy, Smoke On The Water, Woman From Tokyo, Perfect Strangers & Knocking At Your Backdoor at a Deep-Purple-concert. I love to see them play their warhorses, not deep cuts I hardly know or dont know at all. And I guess most people who go to a Stones-concert feel the same way.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:57

Stones, and other long established bands, are in a no win situation. Die hards don't want to hear warhorses while 90% of the audience do.
I just saw Iron Maiden last Sunday in Vancouver. I liked them back in high school in the early 80's and have seen them a few times in concert. I was hoping to hear a lot of their "classics" but they played a lot from their new album. Didn't play songs like Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Running Free, 22 Acacia Ave, Wrathchild. They didn't even play Run To The Hills, their most famous song! Still, it was a good show.

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Date: April 15, 2016 22:18

It's setlist, not set list. And warhorse, not war horse. Trust me, I'm Swedish!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2016 22:22

Okay ... after all you did give us the Offiziersmesser but and then those yankeee boys renamed it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 15, 2016 22:28

Speaking of warhorses, I think I've heard the following tunes at every show I've seen, being 78, 81, 89, 02, 05 & 06..
BS
TD
JJF
SATISFACTION
MISS YOU -except for 2006
HTW
SFTD - EVERY SHOW SINCE 89
GS - SAME AS ABOVE
IORR SAME AS ABOVE

Some gems much less -
Love In Vain - 78
Under My Thumb - 81, 06
LSTNT - 81
Shattered - 78, 81, 05
Sway - 06
Imagination - 78, 06
Black Limousine - 81
Star Star - 78
Time Is On My Side - 81 (and 88 with the Winos)
Midnight Rambler - 89, 05, 06

Oh well, you guys know the deal...

Date: April 15, 2016 23:15

Rockman
Okay ... after all you did give us the Offiziersmesser but and then those yankeee boys renamed it ....

Sure, we gave you dynamite, the safety match and the zipper. I'm not so sure about the Offiziersmesser though. But I guess our Swiss members don't mind if we take credit for that one too...

Date: April 16, 2016 00:20

Don't forget the surstrømming, Stoneage..

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 16, 2016 01:09

stones will play what they want if u go or not, they play for wider fans who just like to hear the hits, otherwise they go for pee.GET STONED WITH WHAT THEY PLAY.KEEP ROCKING.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 16, 2016 01:30

With a set list of only 18 songs and playing stadiums there's no room for many song changes, maybe 2-3 different songs each night and that's it.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: April 16, 2016 04:33

Meanwhile - Sir Paul pulls out a 38-song show the other night. Including songs not played in over a decade, and two not played in 50+ years. A couple of newer songs, and one from BEFORE the Beatles! Tons of hits, many deep cuts. Guaranteed there were several songs played that many in the audience was completely unfamiliar with. Who's going to know the Quarrymen song ?
Fresno CA 13Apr2016

The last show before that back in Oct had a 41-song set list! And there is significant variety from night to night. Nothing along the order of the Dead, but numerous songs switched out. And they are all great!

The Stones obviously have been around just as long, and certainly have enough in their repertoire that they could change things up a bit from night to night. Granted, Paul plays well over 30 songs a show, so that give more room to change things around - but still. The Stones could take a hint.

Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 15, 2016 14:48

Hello mateys,

Just wondering whether there's anyone else here who no longer goes to Stones concerts.

Personally I'm tired of almost identical set lists and rip-off ticket prices. My last concert was at the O2 for A Bigger Bang where we treated to one song from that album. I must say I wouldn't want to hear too many songs from A Bigger Bang but there are a few worth playing.

Small venues aside, I can't see myself bothering to see them again.

Re: Anyone Else Stopped Going to Stones Concerts?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2016 15:03

Just get hitched did ya Harlem ???

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 145

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home