Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: Radical idea for a new album
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 28, 2015 12:31

windmelody
There is no point in a new Stones album, since it will not be lucrative, and the Stones play to crowds who love warhorses. There is no sense in recording an Album if there are no plans to play the songs live.

Why does everyone assume a new album will have such lousy sales?
Do the majority of people who pay huge prices to see the group run through greatest hits again not shell out a pittance on records these days. I must be in tne minority.
Many of the old warhouses eg Macca, Dylan and Stewart are selling in reasonable units witb their latest product and with their royalty rates must be banking tidy sums.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2015 12:38

jlowe
windmelody
There is no point in a new Stones album, since it will not be lucrative, and the Stones play to crowds who love warhorses. There is no sense in recording an Album if there are no plans to play the songs live.

Do the majority of people who pay huge prices to see the group run through greatest hits again not shell out a pittance on records these days. I must be in tne minority.
Many of the old warhouses eg Macca, Dylan and Stewart are selling in reasonable units witb their latest product and with their royalty rates must be banking tidy sums.

Plus, why is there the asumption that money is the only reason to make an album, Mick has already proved that that's not the case by making 4 solo albums and the Superheavy effort..........

My guess is that Mick & Keith just don't have anything new to 'say'.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 14:52 by EddieByword.

Re: Back To Roots New Album (RUMOUR AS OF NOW)
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 28, 2015 13:45

Bigger Bang just shouldn't be their last studio album.Come on, boys . .!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2015 16:23

jlowe
windmelody

It's more of an observation on how Mick thinks than anything although A BIGGER BANG did not sell well.

It wasn't promoted well either. By the band. They essentially ignored it live. On the tour that was named after the LP. So much for even remotely challenging the warhorse fan base.

Regardless, there may be about 200 people on iorr.org that would like a new Stones LP but the rest of the world still doesn't know about A BIGGER BANG being their last album. Of any sense.

Nor do they care if the Stones record another album. You know what's still new in the minds of those people? Start Me Up and Undercover Of The Night.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 29, 2015 00:43

GasLightStreet
jlowe
windmelody

It's more of an observation on how Mick thinks than anything although A BIGGER BANG did not sell well.

It wasn't promoted well either. By the band. They essentially ignored it live. On the tour that was named after the LP. So much for even remotely challenging the warhorse fan base.

Regardless, there may be about 200 people on iorr.org that would like a new Stones LP but the rest of the world still doesn't know about A BIGGER BANG being their last album. Of any sense.

Nor do they care if the Stones record another album. You know what's still new in the minds of those people? Start Me Up and Undercover Of The Night.

While I agree with much of what you say. I'd disagree about ABB sales. It peaked higher, #3, than either UC #4 or DW #5, and it did so without a hit single and limited airplay-there were less stations playing rock in '05 than in the mid-80s. All three albums are platinum too. I'm not saying ABB was a monster seller but it sold no worse than UC and DW. In regards to the eras it probably sold better than those two. UC not making the top or even the top 3 just two years after TTY and a decade + of #1 studio albums was a huge comedown. You could say that DW is the nadir of the Stones studio album as far as sales. ABB peaking at #3 almost a decade after its predecessor, B2B (also #3) was released, is probably more of a sales triumph than disappointment really.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 29, 2015 03:53

Well, some acknowledgement Stones get from the people who knows what blues is all about.....

[www.chicagobluesexperience.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 29, 2015 07:02

big4
GasLightStreet
jlowe
windmelody

While I agree with much of what you say. I'd disagree about ABB sales. It peaked higher, #3, than either UC #4 or DW #5, and it did so without a hit single and limited airplay-there were less stations playing rock in '05 than in the mid-80s. All three albums are platinum too. I'm not saying ABB was a monster seller but it sold no worse than UC and DW. In regards to the eras it probably sold better than those two. UC not making the top or even the top 3 just two years after TTY and a decade + of #1 studio albums was a huge comedown. You could say that DW is the nadir of the Stones studio album as far as sales. ABB peaking at #3 almost a decade after its predecessor, B2B (also #3) was released, is probably more of a sales triumph than disappointment really.

Chart positions in 1983 (U) and 1986 (DW) are not comparable to 2005. Even 1997 to 2005. I'm going to guess that ABB sold less than BTB, U and/or DW to make the same charting.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 29, 2015 07:57

GasLightStreet
big4
GasLightStreet
jlowe
windmelody

Chart positions in 1983 (U) and 1986 (DW) are not comparable to 2005. Even 1997 to 2005. I'm going to guess that ABB sold less than BTB, U and/or DW to make the same charting.

I'd say that there were more potential fans in '83 and '86 than '05. Also much more airplay on rock and pop stations as well as exposure back then too (MTV was flying high during those years for one) while ABB had less airplay possibilities, a smaller potential fanbase and less people buying rock music by 2005. I don't think the overall first year sales figures of those albums would be that much different, even counting for obvious differences you touch upon. UC, DW B2B and ABB all went platinum. UC and DW were sales failures relative to what preceded them while ABB sold well considered the long time between releases and the changes of counting sales in the SoundScan era.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: March 29, 2015 08:04

ABB made me bang my head against the wall. There were several songs I liked a lot, but with one exception (even then, for just a couple of shows), none were performed live:

Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh, I Nearly Died, Biggest Mistake. I really loved that bunch and would have LOVED to have heard them live. By my tastes they were far superior to the ones we got.

Absolutely HATED Oh No Not You Again, Streets of Love, and did not care much for Back of my Hand or Rough Justice. So of course those were the ones we got. Then again, I prefer Aftermath to Exile, so WHAT DO I KNOW?!?!

If they'd kept that first batch along with This Place Is Empty, added maybe 4 more of similar quality and scrubbed the rest, then it would have been my favorite going back maybe as far as Tattoo You.

Anyway...Bring on the roots album! I'll gladly buy it and hold out hope they do a few live. Really enjoyed what Aerosmith did with Honkin' and I'm not a big Aerosmith fan.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-29 08:18 by josepi.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2015 08:20

The most intriguing scenario for me would be to do an album with the 1969-1974 line-up, (plus Ronnie), ALL of whom are alive and available. The fact that the Stones themselves don't consider this an attractive challenge is rather disappointing.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 29, 2015 11:18

I'd like a roots album if it really is a roots album. This rumor floats every time they are about to go into the studio. Do we even know if it has any merit whatsoever? I mean, is it a (hangs head) done deal?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 29, 2015 14:19

71Tele
The most intriguing scenario for me would be to do an album with the 1969-1974 line-up, (plus Ronnie), ALL of whom are alive and available. The fact that the Stones themselves don't consider this an attractive challenge is rather disappointing.

That would be intriguing

I hope something like that happens

The keyboard players and Bobby would sure be missed, though.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 29, 2015 14:37

For those who keep suggesting that a new Stones album will have terrible sales I'd like to point out that "A Bigger Bang" spent its first two weeks at number one on the Global Chart (biggest selling album in the world) it was also #1 on the Euro Chart.

The Exile on Main Street re-release hit #1 in the UK and 40 Licks is one of the best sellng Rolling Stones albums ever...Not that there have been a lot of recent Stones albums, but they (live CDs don't count) have sold better than you think in an era when people simply don't buy records.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-29 14:39 by James Kirk.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 29, 2015 16:18

JumpingKentFlash
I'd like a roots album if it really is a roots album. This rumor floats every time they are about to go into the studio. Do we even know if it has any merit whatsoever? I mean, is it a (hangs head) done deal?

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 29, 2015 16:25

James Kirk
For those who keep suggesting that a new Stones album will have terrible sales I'd like to point out that "A Bigger Bang" spent its first two weeks at number one on the Global Chart (biggest selling album in the world) it was also #1 on the Euro Chart.

The Exile on Main Street re-release hit #1 in the UK and 40 Licks is one of the best sellng Rolling Stones albums ever...Not that there have been a lot of recent Stones albums, but they (live CDs don't count) have sold better than you think in an era when people simply don't buy records.

I don't think that the album would have terrible sales, relatively speaking, in terms of what other artists are selling, however if the motivation is money, then they would be completely unmotivated in releasing a new album. They just don't sell in the numbers that would warrant it.

Doing one or two shows probably more than covers any money to be made on a new album. HOWEVER, if they would do it just because they enjoy the idea of it, and to further enhance their catalogue, then I think we're on to something.

But I'm not sure if there is that desire.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 29, 2015 16:32

Listen if Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie went into the studio with Mick Taylor and decided to lay down a blues album, doing some of their favorites, it would sell. For sure. But it just doesn't seem there is a will there to do something like that. . . I hope I am wrong because I would love to hear them do it!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 29, 2015 16:41

71Tele

thumbs up

That would likely be the best way home for the Glimmers to a relative commercial and critical happy ending...something old, something new, something borrowed something blue... seems imminently doable - and the best I could hope for. A shame really, they probably won't reach for that option.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 29, 2015 16:44

I don't see any point in making a ''back to the roots'' (I remember Keith laughing at that term during a press conference) album or them trying to sound like in they did 40 years ago. I think Mick and Keith should write the kind of songs they feel is relevant for them in this day of age. But of course I also hope the outcome will be more interesting than Doom and Gloom and One More Shot...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-29 16:46 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: March 29, 2015 16:46

SweetThing
71Tele

thumbs up

That would likely be the best way home for the Glimmers to a relative commercial and critical happy ending...something old, something new, something borrowed something blue... seems imminently doable - and the best I could hope for. A shame really, they probably won't reach for that option.

Well you both may be onto something as that's rather the point of this 'rumour' thread.

It would be a nice denouement!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 29, 2015 17:04

If they can't be arsed to write and record an entirably "new" album, my advice for the album is:

"Some Old, Some New, Some Borrowed, Some Blue"

Some outtakes from the past re-worked and finished, a handful of completely new stuff, some cover versions, some blues tracks. Et voila! There you have it. Or not?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 29, 2015 17:20

alimente
If they can't be arsed to write and record an entirably "new" album, my advice for the album is:

Some outtakes from the past re-worked and finished, a handful of completely new stuff, some cover versions, some blues tracks. Et voila! There you have it. Or not?

Scabie Road.....

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 29, 2015 18:09

Really looking forward to a NEW Stones LP/CD. Great news if it happens. Great to get some new songs no matter what angle it is. Roots or new songs. Very much looking forward to this. Really hope this happens.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: March 29, 2015 20:34

Don't want to hijack this thread and wasn't looking to start a new one...

Does anyone know if the Stones ever recorded the Wilbert Harrison "Kansas City" song?

THanks for your help !!

Date: March 30, 2015 01:38

6s7s9s
Don't want to hijack this thread and wasn't looking to start a new one...

Does anyone know if the Stones ever recorded the Wilbert Harrison "Kansas City" song?

THanks for your help !!

Is this what you're looking for?

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 30, 2015 01:45

If this is true, then it would be good. My favorite Stones songs are their 60s songs.

Date: March 30, 2015 02:00

alimente

Didn't the WHO just called that album "Odds & Sods"?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 30, 2015 04:32

treaclefingers
alimente

Didn't the WHO just called that album "Odds & Sods"?

In a way, yes, and it was good ... at least (much) better than nothing!

:
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 1, 2015 03:17

Keith scotched a "new album" on the syndicated iHeart radio program. "There's been talk" was about the extent of it.

But there is another back-to-roots project in the works... ;-)

[en.mediamass.net]

Re: :
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 2, 2015 18:23

bye bye johnny
Keith scotched a "new album" on the syndicated iHeart radio program. "There's been talk" was about the extent of it.

Is that a smoke screen and they are already working on a new cd as the OP hinted at?

Re: New Album?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 2, 2015 19:59

Can't speak for the OP, but this thread coincided with a bogus "back to roots" new album story posted by Media Mass.

[en.mediamass.net]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home