Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- The Wrecking Crew
Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: July 8, 2015 04:17

I finally got the DVD this week and watched it because I missed the limited release in the theaters.
If you are a music lover and especially if you grew up in the 60's and 70's you might want to give this one a look. It's about the studio musicians who recorded some of the biggest hits of the time. The people most of us never heard of. It was put together wonderfully. And, it was made with love. You'll understand that statement after you watch it.
Here is the trailer.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 04:25 by lucifrshmr.

Re: OT- The Wrecking Crew
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 8, 2015 04:46

Great film! Unsung hero's indeed. Thanks for the reminder lucifrshmr, this one is a real treat.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 8, 2015 04:47

Met Denny Tedesco in Rochester, NY during a showing of the film. Great guy. A project of love. The movie actually brought tears to my eyes when it finished. Best music documentary of all time.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: July 8, 2015 05:02

MHR, yes it did bring tears to my eyes also. The DVD has a second disk with interviews and in one with the vibe player he talks of when this hands started to go and he was seeing the writing on the wall. His eyes showed the sadness as he was talking. Then when he hears a tune he did on the radio you could see the expression change to pride.
It really WAS a treat to watch NL, I put it up there with Muscle Shoals as two of the best I have ever seen.

It's a shame the black and white footage didn't have the live sound of the banter going back and forth between the crew. I betcha that would have also been fun to hear.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 9, 2015 21:20

I was at the world premiere and it was so great! I never knew Glen Campbell started out as a session musician.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 9, 2015 21:49

alieb
I was at the world premiere and it was so great! I never knew Glen Campbell started out as a session musician.

Yeah apparently he was one of the few guys who exploited the use of the capo really well. Has some great licks and could play the same ones in any key. He talks about it here:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 9, 2015 23:26

The book is fantastic.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 10, 2015 00:20

As a long-term Brian Wilson fan i knew all about those guys and Carol Kaye.
Fing brilliant. I listen to The Beach Boys every day pretty much and for the most part (Smile,Pet Sounds) it's the wrecking crew. They are gods on union scale with pension benefits. Love 'em. Anyone who doesn't know about them should watch this film...it has a few howling mistakes but for the most part is a fine tribute to some of the greatest musicians on some of the greatest records in American music history.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 10, 2015 09:42

I think what's cool about the Wrecking Crew is the wide variety of music they played on. They might play on a Beach Boys record, a Byrds record or a Doors record, and then play on an Elvis record, Sinatra or Dean Martin record. Truly some talented musicians!

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: July 10, 2015 21:12

Hal Blaine: Your 10 favorite drummers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home