Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...93949596979899100101102103...LastNext
Current Page: 98 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: May 23, 2015 17:34

Roller99 who was there already told you that Ronnie played a solo on CYHMK.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:38

DandelionPowderman
Roller99 who was there already told you that Ronnie played a solo on CYHMK.

Maybe only audible for him.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:51

gotdablouse
From the RS review [www.rollingstone.com]

The last Stones road trip included a guest spot for former guitarist Mick Taylor. His absence is particularly conspicuous considering the prominent role he played on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step. The one exception was the seven-minute epic "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." The Stones began with a grinding Richards riff, but then the guitars went soft and funky as the saxman Karl Denson took centerstage for a round of sultry, jazzy honking. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell played a rousing lead and Jagger shook a pair of maracas at the crowd, but guitars were nearly invisible for much of this beloved album cut. Taylor was missed.

It sounds like Ronnie didn't even try a solo on CYHMK, probably just as well given his previous attempts, I guess that's "some" consolation but still, what a friggin' missed opportunity, depriving themselves and the fans of that glorious moment.

Time for something positive: instead of rubbing your nose in "a friggin' missed opportunity" and similar evidence like "Maybe only audible for him." that Taylorologists as soon as they have the chance talk negative about the RS when MT is not playing with them maybe it's a good idea for you guys to mention, repeat or even cheer this:

"...on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step."

If lets say only 5 of the so called huge number of MT fans visiting and reading this thread daily would talk about this fantastic show in a positive way like that in their next post (without nagging about the absence of MT of course) I will give you guys a thumbs up
How about that my dear dear fellow RS fans?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 17:53 by Dreamer.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:03

With apologies to you 'Dreamer' I have to tell a story about why I’m so down about the exclusion of Mick Taylor on this tour. I don’t think it will bore anyone as some here will remember the situation or have experienced something similar.

About 30 years ago there was an NFL football playoff game between the Los Angeles Rams and the Minnesota Vikings to determine who would advance to the Super Bowl. The Rams were losing badly in the final quarter and there was little hope of a victory. Their quarterback was not up to the task. On the sidelines the Rams had on their team one of the greatest and most exciting quarterbacks ever to play the game. He was older, hobbled by years of play and near the end of his career. He was Broadway Joe Namath who had famously guaranteed victory in the massive upset that was Super Bowl III.

The NBC cameras panned to him constantly in that final quarter while the Rams languished on the field. The clock ticked and Joe paced the sidelines, helmet in hand, waiting for the opportunity. He wanted in. Thousands of football fans watching on TV waited helplessly for Namath to get on the field, reach back and pull off a spectacular comeback like he had done so many times before. But sadly, for whatever obstinate reason, the Rams coach refused to put Joe in the game. Time melted away, the final whistle blew and the Rams lost miserably. A disconsolate Namath walked off the field and never played again.

I childishly hated the Rams franchise and that coach, Chuck Knox, forever until they finally disappeared from the league years later. The lost chance was bitterly disappointed for me and all who were watching that game. It really wouldn’t have mattered if Namath could have pulled off the improbable comeback. It was the chance to do so that everyone wanted to witness. It would have been a memorable, heart-warming and thrilling moment even if he had failed. And there was the chance, the chance that something spectacular could have happened that would have been talked about for years.

That’s what infuriates me about the decision to not invite MT....not to put him on the field...the stage. The greatest guitarist the Stones ever had and the ‘coach’, for whatever obstinate reason, has refused to put him in the game. Time will march quickly now. The opportunity won’t come back. MT’s appearances with his former band mates are over. That's very saddening...and no, I won't 'childishly' hate this band for it. My disclaimer for this post is that I hope the tour is enjoyable, the Stones play well and that everyone has a great time...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:03

Dreamer
gotdablouse

The last Stones road trip included a guest spot for former guitarist Mick Taylor. His absence is particularly conspicuous considering the prominent role he played on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step. The one exception was the seven-minute epic "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." The Stones began with a grinding Richards riff, but then the guitars went soft and funky as the saxman Karl Denson took centerstage for a round of sultry, jazzy honking. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell played a rousing lead and Jagger shook a pair of maracas at the crowd, but guitars were nearly invisible for much of this beloved album cut. Taylor was missed.

It sounds like Ronnie didn't even try a solo on CYHMK, probably just as well given his previous attempts, I guess that's "some" consolation but still, what a friggin' missed opportunity, depriving themselves and the fans of that glorious moment.

Time for something positive: instead of rubbing your nose in "a friggin' missed opportunity" and similar evidence like "Maybe only audible for him." that Taylorologists as soon as they have the chance talk negative about the RS when MT is not playing with them maybe it's a good idea for you guys to mention, repeat or even cheer this:

"...on Sticky Fingers, but the band managed to fully recreate most of those songs without missing a step."

If lets say only 5 of the so called huge number of MT fans visiting and reading this thread daily would talk about this fantastic show in a positive way like that in their next post (without nagging about the absence of MT of course) I will give you guys a thumbs up

It's already been done Dreamer. Check the Fonda show thread. This one is about Taylor. btw: that same RS article you quote also says Taylor's absence from a SF set was conspicuously missing and he was missed. For RS to make such a statement I imagine it was more than a little obvious. Besides recreating a song and adding something new exciting and magical are two different things altogether. If I want the song recreated I can always just put the friggin' record on. smoking smiley

peace

Date: May 23, 2015 18:11

palerider22
kleermaker
gotdablouse
gotdablouse

So according to roller99 in the Fonda thread, Ronnie did indeed play a solo on CYHMK unlike what the RS implied, but he apparently didn't try to replicate Taylor's solo...although roller99 says that anyone could do it, including himself ! So I'm not sure how reliable that first hand report from the fron row is!

Maybe omitting the solo on Knocking was a bow to Taylor, who knows. But I think they omitted it to avoid a comparison with Taylor's Knockings with the Stones.

Ah, well...the song has been reduced to tinkling piano keys, shaking maracas at the crowd and no solo...

If Keith actually pulled off that growling riff at the beginning, I'd be pleasantly surprised. I do imagine Karl's sax solo was probably inspired and awesome though and I'm curious to hear what Chuck did. I've heard several praises of his solo on IGTB although that was dome on a B3.

peace

Date: May 23, 2015 18:14

Naturalust
Dreamer
gotdablouse

It's already been done Dreamer. Check the Fonda show thread. This one is about Taylor. btw: that same RS article you quote also says Taylor's absence from a SF set was conspicuously missing and he was missed. For RS to make such a statement I imagine it was more than a little obvious. Besides recreating a song and adding something new exciting and magical are two different things altogether. If I want the song recreated I can always just put the friggin' record on. smoking smiley

peace

Where can I find those five usual suspects posting about the fantastic show in the Fonda thread? smoking smiley

Date: May 23, 2015 18:21

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

Where can I find those five usual suspects posting about the fantastic show in the Fonda thread? smoking smiley

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:21

without any videos it's impossible to have any opinion on the quality of the show on Wednesday. fans that were there are overwhelmed by the excitement and are the bands number one cheerleaders.did the guitarist dazzle, shred and rip the crowd or were they hesitant, mushy and buried in the mix? simply impossible to know without being there or seeing some examples. yes people had a good time and in this crummy, empty, frustrating world that's what really counts. by the way has anybody seen the pictures of Mick Taylor home with his cat from Facebook? there's a quote on it "have they all gone insane."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 18:23 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 23, 2015 18:24

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

You actually made me click smiling smiley

No posts from Stoneburst, kleerie or the others there, and certainly no praisal or anything about the fantastic show...

Date: May 23, 2015 18:30

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

No posts from Stoneburst, kleerie or the others there, and certainly no praisal or anything about the fantastic show...

Can't speak for everyone but I certainly posted some praises there. smoking smiley Hard not to get excited about that one.

peace

Date: May 23, 2015 18:31

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

How can you praise a show you only heard a couple of (not impressive, to put it mildly) seconds from?

If there will be more available from this show, enough to be able to judge it, I will judge it in a fair way.

Date: May 23, 2015 18:36

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

How can you praise a show you only heard a couple of (not impressive, to put it mildly) seconds from?

If there will be more available from this show, enough to be able to judge it, I will judge it in a fair way.

Like we always do when all we have is the setlist to judge it by.

Let's start now! Did you like the setlist?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:37

I really like Palerider22's football story. It kind of sums it up nicely. Well said.

Date: May 23, 2015 18:40

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Yes well said. We get wrapped up in the excitement and idea of a small venue Stones show and great set list and haven't heard much actual music! I agree the clips were less than stellar but it's hard to dismiss the reviews of some of the posters who have seen multiple shows and say this was one of the best.

Also the show isn't just about the recording, so many other factors. I suspect most of these were at play and when and if we get the actual show released some will be saying "that's what the excitement was about?". Probably, one of those "you had to be there" experiences.

peace

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:41

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Praisal & kleermaker in a thread not related to MT??
One of his most recent posts in the BW / RS Interview thread shows how he likes to create his own thruthiness and how he likes to write history with it:

kleermaker:
But despite the fact that both Taylor and Bill seem still to have friendly relations with the band(members), Mick and Keith unmistakeably still hold a grudge against them because of their 'quitting'.

Letting Bill play on only two short numbers and not letting Bill and Mick T. play together during the London O2 shows was also a clear sign of that grudge. It's hard to interpret it otherwise.

Directing all sorts of accusations and negativism at MJ & KR or whoever and whenever possible is daily routine and part of how he creates followers for his Taylorology Church. Lots of very reasonable posters in this thread are constantly attacked by him or his followers even if they state how much they used to like MT's play with the RS in '69 or '73.
Like I said before: last time he went to a RS show was over 35 years ago...and that says it all.

Date: May 23, 2015 19:01

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Praisal & kleermaker in a thread not related to MT??
One of his most recent posts in the BW / RS Interview thread shows how he likes to create his own thruthiness and how he likes to write history with it:

kleermaker:
But despite the fact that both Taylor and Bill seem still to have friendly relations with the band(members), Mick and Keith unmistakeably still hold a grudge against them because of their 'quitting'.

Letting Bill play on only two short numbers and not letting Bill and Mick T. play together during the London O2 shows was also a clear sign of that grudge. It's hard to interpret it otherwise.

Directing all sorts of accusations and negativism at MJ & KR or whoever and whenever possible is daily routine and part of how he creates followers for his Taylorology Church. Lots of very reasonable posters in this thread are constantly attacked by him or his followers even if they state how much they used to like MT's play with the RS in '69 or '73.
Like I said before: last time he went to a RS show was over 35 years ago...and that says it all.

Dreamer, please quit picking on kleermaker. It you have some opinions of your own and want to share them, fine. Dissing on other posters is rude and unwelcome, imo. You may not agree with him but so what? This kind of crap just doesn't add anything and is not appreciated. Thanks.

peace

Date: May 23, 2015 19:04

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Can't speak for everyone but I certainly posted some praises there. smoking smiley Hard not to get excited about that one.

peace

Yeah, but you have a more balanced view on music than many of those I had in mind.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 19:35

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Do you think that they cut the entire MT solo from CYHMK? No. It was still there, it was just more subdued. Rolling Stone magazine??? Not a bastion of accurate reporting in my opinion, and a review of a show is only ever just that person's opinion. Mine, theirs, yours. If you don't think Ronnie could knock off the MT solo with one hand, you've never tried playing it.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 23, 2015 19:37

I posted in that thread as well and said the setlist was fantastic, if the way it was actually handled vis a vis the fans left something to be desired. Had you bothered to check my posting history you'd have known that. Why should any of us praise a performance we haven't yet heard?

Date: May 23, 2015 19:55

I shouldn't have mentioned you there, Stoneburst. My mistake.

Nice slide tone in the "Post Your Band"-thread, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 19:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 23, 2015 19:58

roller99
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Do you think that they cut the entire MT solo from CYHMK? No. It was still there, it was just more subdued. Rolling Stone magazine??? Not a bastion of accurate reporting in my opinion, and a review of a show is only ever just that person's opinion. Mine, theirs, yours. If you don't think Ronnie could knock off the MT solo with one hand, you've never tried playing it.

I believe you. Probably, your comment was directed at kleerie?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 23, 2015 20:03

DandelionPowderman
I shouldn't have mentioned you there, Stoneburst. My mistake.

Nice slide tone in the "Post Your Band"-thread, btw.

Thanks man, coming from a player like you that's much appreciated. I need to record more (and practice more, obviously)

Date: May 23, 2015 20:06

roller99
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Do you mean by your last sentence that the MT Knocking solo is easy to play? Well, if so, the reports are not confirming that statement: [www.iorr.org]

Both reports in fact leave in the middle if Wood played the solo. Or maybe just a few notes that hardly can be called a solo. The info is just not clear on this matter. One thing is sure: he didn't play a great solo on Knocking if he played one anyhow.

Date: May 23, 2015 20:14

I thought we couldn't review a show we hadn't seen, kleerie?

Now you're saying that it is certain that he didn't play a great solo smiling smiley

BTW, I think roller99 means that the slow CYHMK-solo is easy to play (which is a fact). But he didn't say that it was easy making it sound as good as Taylor's take. That's the hard part.

Date: May 23, 2015 20:15

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

[www.iorr.org]

peace

peace

Yeah, but you have a more balanced view on music than many of those I had in mind.

Ah, and you have the authority to be the judge of that?! Funny, especially in the ligth of your criticism towards others, me included, about judging and belittling. It's just your opinion, not more and not less. As for me, you're entitled to it. But I'm becoming a bit tired of your rhetoric behaviour in this thread, to be honest.

Date: May 23, 2015 20:20

Just stop saying that you are more concerned about music than other posters, because you want Taylor to play all over anything, and I'll be your best friend. Show some love for your favourite band smiling smiley

Date: May 23, 2015 20:26

DandelionPowderman
I thought we couldn't review a show we hadn't seen, kleerie?

Now you're saying that it is certain that he didn't play a great solo smiling smiley

BTW, I think roller99 means that the slow CYHMK-solo is easy to play (which is a fact). But he didn't say that it was easy making it sound as good as Taylor's take. That's the hard part.

If three sources (one of them coming from Bjornulf himself and all three in favour of this gig) report the way they did about the supposed solo on Knocking (it's existence is still unsure), then logic leads to the logic conclusion I draw.

But as I said, this corny way of discussing of yours is becoming a bit tiresome, to put it (again) mildly. But well, it might be tongue in cheek I suppose, always an easy escape.

As for Roller99, his remark about the simplicity of the solo is just meaningless of course and thus fully superfluous.

Date: May 23, 2015 20:31

No, it isn't, because it's easy to play it. By listening to you, many on this board think that Ronnie tries to copy Taylor's solo, but that he isn't able to finish it. That's just false - hence roller99's post is both valid and important.

Where did Bjørnulf say that Ronnie didn't play the solo, btw? Didn't he just say that he shortened it down?

Date: May 23, 2015 20:32

DandelionPowderman
Just stop saying that you are more concerned about music than other posters, because you want Taylor to play all over anything, and I'll be your best friend. Show some love for your favourite band smiling smiley

I'm certainly much more critical than most other posters here, but that's another thing. My favourite band? No, my favourite songs and music as for about the first ten years.

You know very well that I've never been impressed by the current line up and the way they play live since 1975 compared to the previous line up. The same goes for the song material, some exceptions excluded.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...93949596979899100101102103...LastNext
Current Page: 98 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home