Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:34

dcba
Can we pour some gasoline on the ashes of this dying thread?

I'll try : I never liked MT cause he used super-light gauge strings. A real guitarist uses a .010-046 or even better a .011-052 set of strings.

i actually liked him better before i started reading this thread and seeing how his fans all think he makes or breaks the rolling stones.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:47

LuxuryStones
onlystones
MT's agent should call every major insurance company and let them know his client is available to play in the event any of unforeseen circumstances like a lead guitarist falling off of a stage.

MT's agent?

His Dutch girlfriend. Posting here as Chacal and formerly posted as SundanceKid.

Date: May 24, 2015 13:48

Turner68
dcba

I'll try : I never liked MT cause he used super-light gauge strings. A real guitarist uses a .010-046 or even better a .011-052 set of strings.

i actually liked him better before i started reading this thread and seeing how his fans all think he makes or breaks the rolling stones.

Good point. I once in a while get the same feeling.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:49

Turner68
dcba

I'm a Taylorite but I don't think he ever made or broke them. smiling smiley

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:53

Turner68

True. It's disturbing to read how people think Taylor is what made the 1969-1974 era so great. I would have been as good if not better with Wood as the guitarist during those years. What matters is the great songs Jagger/Richards wrote between 1969-1974. Not the second guitar player.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 14:04 by yeababyyea.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:11

Dreamer
LuxuryStones
onlystones
MT's agent should call every major insurance company and let them know his client is available to play in the event any of unforeseen circumstances like a lead guitarist falling off of a stage.

MT's agent?

His Dutch girlfriend. Posting here as Chacal and formerly posted as SundanceKid.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:15

yeababyyea
Turner68

True. It's disturbing to read how people think Taylor is what made the 1969-1974 era so great. I would have been as good if not better with Wood as the guitarist during those years. What matters is the great songs Jagger/Richards wrote between 1969-1974. Not the second guitar player.

It took you 5 edits to point out that Richards was Taylor's rhythm player, actually ? cool smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 24, 2015 14:16

Green Lady
roller99
Stoneburst
roller99
Turner68
roller99
The funniest thing here is that nobody knows why MT was on the 2013 tour, etc.

To celebrate their anniversary and possibly to settle any hard feelings about lack of credit or payment of royalties due, most likely stemming from certain tracks on Tattoo You.

I happen to think most things can be explained by behind the scenes financial dealings. For example, I think he didn't play more in 2013 because he wanted more money than the band wanted to pay him.

But I'm just guessing and a bit cynical, so take it with a grain of salt.

It had NOTHING to do with any anniversary, or nostalgia, or how much anyone was paid. That's why I find this thread ironic. And no, I'm not saying, out of respect for the band's privacy.

The reason you're getting at has been discussed here plenty, sorry. 71Tele posted it a few months ago and a lot of people concurred that it made far more sense than any other explanation offered thus far.

And what was that reason?

OK, I'll bite:

What's supposed to have happened is that the insurance people insisted on having a.n.other guitarist along to cover for Keith in case of health problems - and since they had to have someone, they decided that it should be MT, which looked convincing as a 50th anniversary guest spot, kept the insurance company off their backs, concealed the "real" reason (maybe even from Keith and/or MT) and had additional benefits in the form of good publicity for Taylor fans and interesting musical opportunities (which in the event they didn't exploit as fully as they might have). There are various holes in the theory, but it's as plausible as any other.

If this isn't the reason Roller99 has in mind, then please either tell us or stop the "I know something you don't know but I'm not going to tell you" teasing.

PS: No inside knowledge or betrayal of confidences here: all the above comes from other posts on public view.

Excellent summary. What goes against this theory :
- Jagger said in the Maron podcast that Taylor was only going to play in London originally, just at the first show actually and things went so well that they toured the world with him
- Taylor wasn't at the first US 2012 concert, surely if that had been planned in advance he would have been there.

As for Roller99, dunno...he's gone from "not being much of a fan" a couple of weeks ago to being the forum's resident expert who claims he can replicate Taylor's sound on CYHMK and that Ronnie can play that solo with one hand, oh and he didn't see Jagger playing acoustic on "Sister Morphine" at the Fonda show.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 24, 2015 14:18

LuxuryStones
yeababyyea
Turner68

It took you 5 edits to point out that Richards was Taylor's rhythm player, actually ? cool smiley

I always edit my posts several times since I don't check them before I post. Then I discover another missing word or more bad language for every edit I do... smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 14:22

LuxuryStones
Richards was Taylor's rhythm player actually ? cool smiley

Nah, The guitar player who plays the opening riffs for Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice is always the lead player. So therefore Taylor was the second guitar player.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 14:23

yeababyyea
LuxuryStones

Nah, The guitar player who plays the opening riffs for Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice is always the lead player. So therefore Taylor was the second guitar player.

you said that perfectly with no edits :-)

Date: May 24, 2015 14:25

Turner68
yeababyyea
LuxuryStones

you said that perfectly with no edits :-)

Of course I edit my posts, my English semantics are horrible.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 24, 2015 14:27

Its opening night MT will not be there. Is there any doubt in any ones mind that the show tonight will not be fantastic. Even if there isn't going to be a 14 minute MR with a ripping MT solo.

Cant we all just get along?

Date: May 24, 2015 14:30

gotdablouse
Green Lady
roller99
Stoneburst
roller99
Turner68
roller99

To celebrate their anniversary and possibly to settle any hard feelings about lack of credit or payment of royalties due, most likely stemming from certain tracks on Tattoo You.

I happen to think most things can be explained by behind the scenes financial dealings. For example, I think he didn't play more in 2013 because he wanted more money than the band wanted to pay him.

It had NOTHING to do with any anniversary, or nostalgia, or how much anyone was paid. That's why I find this thread ironic. And no, I'm not saying, out of respect for the band's privacy.

The reason you're getting at has been discussed here plenty, sorry. 71Tele posted it a few months ago and a lot of people concurred that it made far more sense than any other explanation offered thus far.

OK, I'll bite:

What's supposed to have happened is that the insurance people insisted on having a.n.other guitarist along to cover for Keith in case of health problems - and since they had to have someone, they decided that it should be MT, which looked convincing as a 50th anniversary guest spot, kept the insurance company off their backs, concealed the "real" reason (maybe even from Keith and/or MT) and had additional benefits in the form of good publicity for Taylor fans and interesting musical opportunities (which in the event they didn't exploit as fully as they might have). There are various holes in the theory, but it's as plausible as any other.

If this isn't the reason Roller99 has in mind, then please either tell us or stop the "I know something you don't know but I'm not going to tell you" teasing.

PS: No inside knowledge or betrayal of confidences here: all the above comes from other posts on public view.

Excellent summary. What goes against this theory :
- Jagger said in the Maron podcast that Taylor was only going to play in London originally, just at the first show actually and things went so well that they toured the world with him
- Taylor wasn't at the first US 2012 concert, surely if that had been planned in advance he would have been there.

As for Roller99, dunno...he's gone from "not being much of a fan" a couple of weeks ago to being the forum's resident expert who claims he can replicate Taylor's sound on CYHMK and that Ronnie can play that solo with one hand, oh and he didn't see Jagger playing acoustic on "Sister Morphine" at the Fonda show.

That's not against that theory but supports it if you're willing to accept the fact that MJ knows how to communicate; at that moment he said less but knew more.
What Green Lady later added has also something important:

"Perhaps MT was going to be invited anyway, and when the insurance issue arose they decided to have him on the books as cover guitarist as well as welcome guest. Who knows?"

And I heard the second show in London had some unpleasant surprise: an issue about money...the person who represented MT did not handle that in a way that was very constructive. So MT not performing in Barclays might have something to do with that...

Date: May 24, 2015 14:32

yeababyyea
LuxuryStones

So Taylor was the lead player when he played rhythm guitar? Very interesting, the thread changes into a musical direction. I started to doze off.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:36

DP? grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 14:36

Yes!!! We are going to talk about the music. I have really been studying Dancing With Mr. D (Brussels Affair Definitive Edition on youtube). It is truly an excellent MT performance.

Agree or Disagree.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:40

onlystones
Yes!!! We are going to talk about the music. I have really been studying Dancing With Mr. D (Brussels Affair Definitive Edition on youtube). It is truly an excellent MT performance.

Agree or Disagree.

Agree.smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 14:41

LuxuryStones
DP? grinning smiley

I'm here, my friend smiling smiley

A very dominant riff guitar can be the lead guitar, even though it is the other guitar player who plays the solos, I believe.

Who's playing the lead guitar on Bitch, for instance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 14:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 14:43

Green Lady
Of course it might not have been that way around. Perhaps MT was going to be invited anyway, and when the insurance issue arose they decided to have him on the books as cover guitarist as well as welcome guest. Who knows?

If the band and/or insurance co was looking for a "just in case" back up guitar player, wouldn't Waddy Wachtel have been a more logical choice? Anyone who saw his work with Keith in 88'would have to say Waddy can weave and play lead. Whatever is required or requested. In the tradition of The Wrecking Crew, Wachtel can and will do as he is told. Not go off on a tangent and play guitar hero on someones else's dime. By the way, has anyone seen him lately? Could be he's under the stage with a guitar, just in case. Unlike 2005/2006 when Blondie was at times standing, unlit, behind Keith playing what Keith couldn't get a wrap on.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:48

Jesse1960
Green Lady
Of course it might not have been that way around. Perhaps MT was going to be invited anyway, and when the insurance issue arose they decided to have him on the books as cover guitarist as well as welcome guest. Who knows?

If the band and/or insurance co was looking for a "just in case" back up guitar player, wouldn't Waddy Wachtel have been a more logical choice? Anyone who saw his work with Keith in 88'would have to say Waddy can weave and play lead. Whatever is required or requested. In the tradition of The Wrecking Crew, Wachtel can and will do as he is told. Not go off on a tangent and play guitar hero on someones else's dime. By the way, has anyone seen him lately? Could be he's under the stage with a guitar, just in case. Unlike 2005/2006 when Blondie was at times standing, unlit, behind Keith playing what Keith couldn't get a wrap on.

Blondie never played what Keith couldn't get a wrap on. He merely strummed, always with a clean sound.

This was their 50th anniversary. Waddy was not a part of their history. Taylor was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 14:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 24, 2015 14:55

I knew we weren't going to talk about the music. I will follow along and keep my mouth shut on this thread like I always do. Its opening night and I'm sure I will be able to talk Stones music and performance some where on IORR.

What a blessed day. Opening night Zip Code '15.

Date: May 24, 2015 15:01

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DP? grinning smiley

I'm here, my friend smiling smiley

A very dominant riff guitar can be the lead guitar, even though it is the other guitar player who plays the solos, I believe.

Who's playing the lead guitar on Bitch, for instance?

Hello smiling smiley

Funny you come up with that one, i was thinking the same.

The intro riff is the doorbell of a house, the licks, drums, bass, vocals are the interior. Who built the house? I can imagine BS's intro starting with a break, played by Charlie ( not the cat), an directly go to the first verse. I don't want to diminish Keith value of the intro riff, but still I can imagine that would have worked perfectly as well. But I would be in trouble and face lawyers if I ripped Keith's intro riffs. No kidding, to me music is a chord progression plus a melody, played by either a singer or an instrumentalist, improvisation is the most interesting and challenging part in music. That explains my love for
Taylor's playing in the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 15:05 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2015 15:03

Turner68
dcba

Same here. I have a huge admiration for Taylor but the ridiculous God-like status he gets in this thread is ridiculous. But I have come to the conclusion that either you are a Stones fan, in which case you obviously love the Taylor era because they made some great albums then and you also love the Brian Jones era and the Wood era, in which they also did great stuff, and moreover of a great variety rarely seen in a rock n roll band, or you are a Mick Taylor fan, in which case you absolutely love everything that Mick Taylor did, even when he was with the Stones while the Stones without Taylor is just some band they don't care about.
If you look at it like that, most of this thread becomes much more entertaining, like the ancient discussion of Beatles versus Stones, which of course has no real answer, or - rather - all answers are equally valid.

Date: May 24, 2015 15:07

It was the appropriate thread for that example, I believe smiling smiley

But your metaphor (house) will fall flat with JJF, though. One can play 50 solos on that song, but that riff will always be leading the song, imo.

PS: Charlie's son is bothering me now, as we speak winking smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 15:10

DandelionPowderman
It was the appropriate thread for that example, I believe smiling smiley

But your metaphor (house) will fall flat with JJF, though. One can play 50 solos on that song, but that riff will always be leading the song, imo.

PS: Charlie's son is bothering me now, as we speak winking smiley

The doorbell keeps ringing, so to speak.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 15:16 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 24, 2015 15:10

Green Lady
roller99
Stoneburst
roller99
Turner68
roller99

OK, I'll bite:

A good bite indeed, m'lady. I would add that this is the most plausible theory. But maybe also some other deals were made, for instance concerning 'claims' and a book from M.T.'s side. But none of the parties involved would tell us the whole truth.

As for M.T.'s absence from the upcoming tour: one could wonder how the insurance issue has been resolved if it was an issue at all. Another strange thing was the suggestion from the Stones camp that M.T. were ill and the response by a representative of M.T. that he wasn't sick at all. But again: both parties have decided to be silent, so we only can guess what has happened.

Date: May 24, 2015 15:26

mtaylor
Our dear MT and music RW can't deliver - neither plink, plink

That sounded and looked great indeed! Gotta love John Mayall and his band here.

Date: May 24, 2015 15:39

kleermaker
mtaylor

Taylor's career was bigger than him being a member of the Stones, he he..

Date: May 24, 2015 15:47

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
mtaylor

Taylor's career was bigger than him being a member of the Stones, he he..

Wuh, you're kidding. smiling smiley The Stones made him, man. After he quit he was gone. winking smiley

But to set things straight here: almost all so called taylorites here, myself included, are in the first place fan of the Stones with Taylor, not the other way round. Though one can't deny that he did great things with some others as well. For instance with this John Mayall, to name one, and with a certain Bob Dylan, to name another one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home