Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 23, 2015 20:38

DandelionPowderman
No, it isn't, because it's easy to play it. By listening to you, many on this board think that Ronnie tries to copy Taylor's solo, but that he isn't able to finish it. That's just false - hence roller99's post is both valid and important.

Where did Bjørnulf say that Ronnie didn't play the solo, btw? Didn't he just say that he shortened it down?

Of course Ronnie isn't able to deliver a Knocking solo of about the same quality as Taylor's during 2013. That's relevant. Besides, I don't think he can equal Taylor's tone and phrasing at all, not even by copying the studio solo note by note.

I gave the link: you can see for yourself. Bjornulf didn't mention anything about a (supposed) solo by Ronnie and the other reporter leaves it in the middle if he played one if you read carefully.

Date: May 23, 2015 20:42

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Just stop saying that you are more concerned about music than other posters, because you want Taylor to play all over anything, and I'll be your best friend. Show some love for your favourite band smiling smiley

I'm certainly much more critical than most other posters here, but that's another thing. My favourite band? No, my favourite songs and music as for about the first ten years.

You know very well that I've never been impressed by the current line up and the way they play live since 1975 compared to the previous line up. The same goes for the song material, some exceptions excluded.

It's that black and white, huh? Well, I have to respect that..

I like the first 16 years the most. But when I hear Charlie's snare, Mick's voice and Keith's guitar, well, something still happens to me...

It's sad you don't feel it, too. Would have been cool seeing a show with you - with Taylor in the lineup, of course.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 23, 2015 20:54

Congratulations, on beforehand, to the 90,000th view, 3,000th post and 100th page of this Mick Taylor thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 20:55 by Stoneage.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:09

Stoneage
Congratulations, on beforehand, to the 90,000th view, 3,000th post and 100th page of this Mick Taylor thread!

Running around in circles.

Date: May 23, 2015 21:15

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Just stop saying that you are more concerned about music than other posters, because you want Taylor to play all over anything, and I'll be your best friend. Show some love for your favourite band smiling smiley

I'm certainly much more critical than most other posters here, but that's another thing. My favourite band? No, my favourite songs and music as for about the first ten years.

You know very well that I've never been impressed by the current line up and the way they play live since 1975 compared to the previous line up. The same goes for the song material, some exceptions excluded.

I like the first 16 years the most. But when I hear Charlie's snare, Mick's voice and Keith's guitar, well, something still happens to me...

It's sad you don't feel it, too. Would have been cool seeing a show with you - with Taylor in the lineup, of course.

You mean the '81 and '82 tours excluded, because you talk about the first 16 years, which is until '79? I always thought you loved those tours just as well.

Yeah, bad luck for me indeed, so have a bit pity on me. If Taylor were included in the line up again, but then fully integrated and all of them well rehearsed, then I certainly would love to see them one more time in your good company smiling smiley

Date: May 23, 2015 21:18

LuxuryStones
Stoneage

Mostly running goes in circles Luxury, except the 100 meters. smiling smiley

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:40

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
No, it isn't, because it's easy to play it. By listening to you, many on this board think that Ronnie tries to copy Taylor's solo, but that he isn't able to finish it. That's just false - hence roller99's post is both valid and important.

Where did Bjørnulf say that Ronnie didn't play the solo, btw? Didn't he just say that he shortened it down?

Of course Ronnie isn't able to deliver a Knocking solo of about the same quality as Taylor's during 2013. That's relevant. Besides, I don't think he can equal Taylor's tone and phrasing at all, not even by copying the studio solo note by note.

I gave the link: you can see for yourself. Bjornulf didn't mention anything about a (supposed) solo by Ronnie and the other reporter leaves it in the middle if he played one if you read carefully.

You obviously don't play guitar. a casual player can go on the Internet, find out what guitar, pickups, strings and amps were used, and duplicate the solos note for note. Youtube is filled with hundreds of people doing this. Ronnie was an accomplished when he joined the Stones, that's why he got the gig. Go listen to some Faces songs. Ronnie is a monster player, a massive talent. If he wanted to knock off a Mick Taylor solo, he would.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:46

roller99
Ronnie is a monster player, a massive talent. If he wanted to knock off a Mick Taylor solo, he would.

Well he did!
Check the very first show of the 75 tour : during Dance Lil Sister Ron emulates the MT style and tone perfectly.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:53

kleermaker
Of course Ronnie isn't able to deliver a Knocking solo of about the same quality as Taylor's during 2013. That's relevant.

I do not agree at all. I was heavily disappointed by Taylor's solos on CYHMK in 2013. All the fluidity in his playing was gone, and he could barely hit the right notes at times. Take this as an example:

Ronnie must be capable of playing a better solo, actually the not so good solos he played on the Licks Tour was better than Taylor's solo in the video I posted.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 23, 2015 21:57

To interject briefly on the CYHMK thing, the solo on the studio version is indeed very easy to play - the tone is a bit more elusive - although that understatement is part of its genius and a great example of Taylor knowing when and when not to play. Obligatory cliché: like everything recorded by really great musicians, it's the touch and finesse that counts. You can play it perfectly correctly and it still won't sound quite right, because the sound you're hearing in your head is unique to Taylor's fingers. I think that's primarily what people miss when they hear Wood doing Taylor's old solos. Wood's a smart guy and recognises that fact, which is why he does his own thing with the CYHMK solo. Some like it and think it works well, some (like me) miss Taylor's tone and melodic extrapolations.

Date: May 23, 2015 22:30

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Stoneage

Ok, here I go for the last time, inspired by Bars:

"All three guitarists are musically senile to the same degree bye now. I think that's a fair and democratic representation of reality". But let them play, or whatever, as long as fans are having fun, it's ok with me.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:42

I won't pretend Mick Taylor's skills haven't deteriorated - they have. So have Keith's and Ronnie's, perhaps to an even greater degree. But that isn't the point. The point is what fun and adventure could be had, and what good feelings could be created, by having all three Stones guitarists out there at the end of their career. Whatever the reasons for the band not doing this, they seem small and petty compared to the payoffs of what could be by taking the small risk of adding Mick T. This is why I won't be going to any shows. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:47

Why so eagerly proclaim "the end of their career"? Neither we nor they really know what's coming next.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:50

Nikkei
Why so eagerly proclaim "the end of their career"? Neither we nor they really know what's coming next.

If anyone doesn't think they are approaching the end of their careers, I want some of what they're smoking.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:53

71Tele
Nikkei

If anyone doesn't think they are approaching the end of their careers, I want some of what they're smoking.

Everything approaches it's end because time won't stand still. And those thoughts return every tour since '89.

Date: May 23, 2015 23:07

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Stoneage

"All three guitarists are musically senile to the same degree bye [grinning smiley] now. I think that's a fair and democratic representation of reality". But let them play, or whatever, as long as fans are having fun, it's ok with me.

But why for heaven's sake did you interfere then in the discussion in the first place, if according to your opinion all three are of the same level and if, again according to your opinion, Mick T.'s playing is that bad that you're not interested in it anymore?

Date: May 23, 2015 23:24

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Stoneage

"All three guitarists are musically senile to the same degree bye [grinning smiley] now. I think that's a fair and democratic representation of reality". But let them play, or whatever, as long as fans are having fun, it's ok with me.

But why for heaven's sake did you interfere then in the discussion in the first place, if according to your opinion all three are of the same level and if, again according to your opinion, Mick T.'s playing is that bad that you're not interested in it anymore?

Because I'm naive enough to believe in miracles, and I won't take less than the Taylor years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 23, 2015 23:31

C'mon guys only a few more posts till we hit 100 pages!
You can make it! grinning smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:07

dcba
C'mon guys only a few more posts till we hit 100 pages!
You can make it! grinning smiley

I am doing my part!

Honestly, if SF is really the theme, and they hauled Taylor around the world for Midnight Rambler... the least they could do would be to trot him back out for CYHMK.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:13

I'm just happy that Taylor and I both have norwegian forest cats named Charlie smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 00:21

May God bless him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 00:23 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:25

What a nice thread, being able to express whats on your mind....

[Damn shame MT didn't make it, but he had it coming after tagging along for years on basically only Rambler, unwanted as a fulltime feature and like others have been posting, his presence was more of a gimmemick. A kick in the teeth when they now are showcasing SF, but to be expected. I better put away my hopes for a regular threesome, but is could have been so exciting]

Date: May 24, 2015 00:26

Let's have a Taylor solo album petition. I'll be the first to sign up.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:35

The funniest thing here is that nobody knows why MT was on the 2013 tour, etc.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:37

DandelionPowderman

If Plundered is anything to go by, a Jagger solo record featuring Taylor could be nice, they seem to produce some good stuff together.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 00:38

The Stones have never been about superior musicianship.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:40

skytrench
DandelionPowderman

If Plundered is anything to go by, a Jagger solo record featuring Taylor could be nice, they seem to produce some good stuff together.

And yet although Keith invited Taylor to play on Talk is Cheap, to my knowledge Mick J has never sought to work with Mick T. I think it's silly to suggest that Keith somehow has it out for Mick T. I think he does and did respect Taylor.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:42

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I agree about Charlie, Mick, and Keith. I do wish they wouldn't have slowed down the tempo so much lately though. It really takes the edge off of some of the songs. I think this has far more to do with the lessened excitement recently than the presence or absence of one or more guest musicians like Taylor.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:43

roller99
The funniest thing here is that nobody knows why MT was on the 2013 tour, etc.

To celebrate their anniversary and possibly to settle any hard feelings about lack of credit or payment of royalties due, most likely stemming from certain tracks on Tattoo You.

I happen to think most things can be explained by behind the scenes financial dealings. For example, I think he didn't play more in 2013 because he wanted more money than the band wanted to pay him.

But I'm just guessing and a bit cynical, so take it with a grain of salt.

Date: May 24, 2015 00:45

Nikkei
71Tele
Nikkei

Everything approaches it's end because time won't stand still. And those thoughts return every tour since '89.

Actually I think that was said about the '81 tour as well, and probably before then. Remember Jagger once said he didn't want to be singing Satisfaction when he was 30.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home