Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...295296297298299300301302303304305...LastNext
Current Page: 300 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 17, 2024 22:31

I'm so glad Mick Taylor is still with us at 75.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 17, 2024 22:55

Yep, happy birthday. 75 is relatively young when we're speaking in Rolling Stones terms. Even younger than Ronnie.

Date: January 17, 2024 23:58

8 congrats for Mick Taylor on the greatest Rolling Stones site in the world.
I must be getting old. Time for a next generation site indeed.

Date: January 18, 2024 00:18

Well, maybe it's because he quit the band some 50 years ago. That is a really long time ago. Imagine - he was only 25 then...

Happy Birthday Mick Taylor!
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 18, 2024 17:07

A bit late, he turned 75 yesterday. Listening to IORAR album right now, such a great album, gets better with every listen, quite underrated actually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-18 19:23 by bv.

Re: Happy Birthday Mick!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2024 17:14

FrogSugar
Listening to IORR album right now, such a great album, gets better with every listen, quite underrated actually.

1st album with genuinely throwaway/filler material for me, but hey... happy birthday Mick.T.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-18 19:15 by dcba.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 18, 2024 22:42

This has no doubt been covered here, but Axios TV has aired a series of Spin magazine's 100 greatest RnR stars. #1 is, as many here know, Keith. But if you check Spin's website about the list and the comments on each artist you will find something interesting mentioned about Keith, i.e., "the wail of Winter." As many of you know, Keith does not play on Winter and that wail is Taylor's. That kind of sums up the general public perception (or lack thereof) of the band's Taylor era. I saw the band three times with Taylor, but it was not until decades later that I came to fully appreciate his on stage impact. Thank you bootleggers! Happy Birthday Mick Taylor. I suggest Brussel's Tumbling Dice; London and Philly's Gimme Shelter; and Silver Dagger's London YCAGWYW to remind everyone what Jagger said "was a really good band."

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 19, 2024 00:04

Happy belated b day to an exceptional guitar player -Mick Taylor. I, like a lot of Stones fans relish the time he was with them (and not long enough as far as I am concerned). I also have fond memories of meeting Mick Taylor in my hometown in upstate New York. He was so gracious and kind in our interaction together.
Thank you Mick for your great contribution to the Stones musical evolution!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-19 00:06 by Sighunt.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: January 19, 2024 05:40

The great absence of Hackney Diamonds, was the missing stones to play there..

Date: January 21, 2024 03:11

rogerriffin
The great absence of Hackney Diamonds, was the missing stones to play there..

No need to sell your soul.This is something else.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 24, 2024 02:52

pmk251
This has no doubt been covered here, but Axios TV has aired a series of Spin magazine's 100 greatest RnR stars. #1 is, as many here know, Keith. But if you check Spin's website about the list and the comments on each artist you will find something interesting mentioned about Keith, i.e., "the wail of Winter." As many of you know, Keith does not play on Winter and that wail is Taylor's. That kind of sums up the general public perception (or lack thereof) of the band's Taylor era. I saw the band three times with Taylor, but it was not until decades later that I came to fully appreciate his on stage impact. Thank you bootleggers! Happy Birthday Mick Taylor. I suggest Brussel's Tumbling Dice; London and Philly's Gimme Shelter; and Silver Dagger's London YCAGWYW to remind everyone what Jagger said "was a really good band."

When I was in high school I was talking to a girl and she said she was a Stones fan. I said I liked the Mick Taylor era most.

Her response: "you mean Mick Jagger?"

Date: January 28, 2024 00:11

Nice shuffle.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 28, 2024 00:44

TheflyingDutchman
Nice shuffle.

He and Keith are my all time favorite guitarists but his solo career has been a disappointment.He should have done more rock n roll.These blues performances for me are not that interesting

Date: January 28, 2024 01:09

Taylor1
TheflyingDutchman
Nice shuffle.

He and Keith are my all time favorite guitarists but his solo career has been a disappointment.He should have done more rock n roll.These blues performances for me are not that interesting

Here Taylor plays the same as he did with the Stones. The backup is completely different. Hence the shuffle. Career is not the subject. Musically spoken.

Date: January 28, 2024 01:25

If you're into that 70s blues, jazz, fusion stage I guess it's brilliant - especially if you're a guitar solo aficionado. It reminds me of Santana and the likes of him. I think that was progressive in the 70s but not anymore.
To me it seems frozen in time and as far away from rock and roll you could imagine. To put it shortly, technically brilliant but boring.

Date: January 28, 2024 01:50

Stoneage
If you're into that 70s blues, jazz, fusion stage I guess it's brilliant - especially if you're a guitar solo aficionado. It reminds me of Santana and the likes of him. I think that was progressive in the 70s but not anymore.
To me it seems frozen in time and as far away from rock and roll you could imagine. To put it shortly, technically brilliant but boring.

Agreed. A matter of perception.

Date: January 28, 2024 02:10

Well put, TFD. It's a matter of perception. Very true and very diplomatic.

Posted by: maidenlane ()
Date: January 28, 2024 11:49

For those like me who are frustrated with YouTube's intentionally fuzzy search function, here's a web page being developed with MT YT links, chronologically listed by show, pointing to partial or full video/audio for about 200 shows thus far, which can also be added to by anyone.

[gimmemt.com]

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2024 15:38

I love MT's time with the STones but I feel the bad got a boost when Ronnie joined. They have never been better live than with Taylor but in the studio they were kind of rung out. I likr GHS a lot and IORR is good but Taylor's frustration, Keith getting elegantly wasted and he and Mick not writing together much any longer was taking a toll on the creativity. I really thin the band needed a change. Everything happens for a reason. The current music seen in 1977 suited Ronnie's style, Keith got off the smack and MJ reinventing the band to the modern sound was brilliant. Their 78-83 period is very very good and could not have happened with Mick Taylor.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 28, 2024 17:09

Will Mick Taylor guest any Stones shows this year?

Date: January 28, 2024 17:41

slew
Their 78-83 period is very very good and could not have happened with Mick Taylor.

I think that it was up to Keith and Jagger to determ what the second guitarist had to play - more or less. Even if they had a monster player like John McLaughlin or Jeff Beck aboard, they would have been obliged to play a few insignificant notes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-28 17:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: January 28, 2024 18:25

slew
I like GHS a lot and IORR is good but Taylor's frustration, Keith getting elegantly wasted and he and Mick not writing together much any longer was taking a toll on the creativity. I really thin the band needed a change. Everything happens for a reason.

Yup and imho the main, and now unmentionable, reason why MT left was he wrongly thought the band was spent, and it was better to leave a ship before it completely sank.
MT noticed the creative energy was slowly but surely fading away, that Keith would logically die from his H addiction which would lead to the termination of the band.
Maybe MT also thought - very wrongly - that the straight pentatonic rock the tones were playing was to give way to more complex ambitious prog-rock, hence the partnership with Jack Bruce...

slew
The current music seen in 1977 suited Ronnie's style, Keith got off the smack and MJ reinventing the band to the modern sound was brilliant.

Yup the Phoenix effect the band has been benefiting from many times in their career, in 77/78, in 89, in 2012, then after Charlie's death with HDiamond, which objectively stunned everyone.

Never count the guys out. winking smiley

Date: January 28, 2024 19:59

I think Taylor left before the real money started kicking in. When Wyman left he had already made a fortune. I don't think Taylor was that well off when he left. Financially it was not a good decision to leave.
But I guess his motivation to leave were on other grounds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-28 20:24 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 28, 2024 21:23

dcba
slew
I like GHS a lot and IORR is good but Taylor's frustration, Keith getting elegantly wasted and he and Mick not writing together much any longer was taking a toll on the creativity. I really thin the band needed a change. Everything happens for a reason.

Yup and imho the main, and now unmentionable, reason why MT left was he wrongly thought the band was spent, and it was better to leave a ship before it completely sank.
MT noticed the creative energy was slowly but surely fading away, that Keith would logically die from his H addiction which would lead to the termination of the band.
Maybe MT also thought - very wrongly - that the straight pentatonic rock the tones were playing was to give way to more complex ambitious prog-rock, hence the partnership with Jack Bruce...

slew
The current music seen in 1977 suited Ronnie's style, Keith got off the smack and MJ reinventing the band to the modern sound was brilliant.

Yup the Phoenix effect the band has been benefiting from many times in their career, in 77/78, in 89, in 2012, then after Charlie's death with HDiamond, which objectively stunned everyone.

Never count the guys out. winking smiley
This is nonsense.The band was always going to continue in1975 as long as Mick and Keith were init.Had Keith gone to prison inCanada the band would have broken up.There was a bad time when Wood was in the band from1984-1988 when it looked like the band would break up .They had just released two inferior albums.The band continued because Mick and Keith wanted it to.Not to diminish Wood’s best albums like Some Girls and Tatoo You which are great.But this idea that he revitalized the band to me is ridiculous.Mick and Keith decided where the band would go.Taylor was a great guitarist.But he is not a great anything else.Mick and Keith didn’t fire him.If he hadn’t quit I’m sure they would have continued making great music .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-28 21:28 by Taylor1.

Date: January 29, 2024 00:46

Taylor1
Mick and Keith didn’t fire him.If he hadn’t quit I’m sure they would have continued making great music.

Very likely. Different musical and/or ego problems between the Glimmer Twins and Taylor might have occurred though.eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-29 01:20 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: January 29, 2024 11:08

Stoneage

It certainly was not the issue of not being credited for songs he co-wrote, otherwise he would have left in 71, after looking at the sleeve of Sticky Fingers and noticing MMile was officially a MJ/KR song.

Nah I think that in 74 MT thought he needed another vehicule/band to convey his huge musical talent and there was not much left the Stones could offer him.

MT certainly did not leave because of drugs because, he had a relatively bad C problem, and he went to join a band led a notorious heroin addict, Jack Bruce. So I assume - like many pro musicians from the 70s - MT thought playing with addicts was part of the job. A new normal of some sort.

So yeah I think MTs decision was a mix of ego/hubris, bad judgement over the future of the Stones, and a miscalculation about the potential of the prog-rock genre.

Date: January 29, 2024 21:40

slew
I love MT's time with the STones but I feel the bad got a boost when Ronnie joined. They have never been better live than with Taylor but in the studio they were kind of rung out. I likr GHS a lot and IORR is good but Taylor's frustration, Keith getting elegantly wasted and he and Mick not writing together much any longer was taking a toll on the creativity. I really thin the band needed a change. Everything happens for a reason. The current music seen in 1977 suited Ronnie's style, Keith got off the smack and MJ reinventing the band to the modern sound was brilliant. Their 78-83 period is very very good and could not have happened with Mick Taylor.

Yep, they hired Keef's drinking buddy and it's exactly what he needed to get his ass back in gear!

Their 78-83 period is very very good and could not have happened with Mick Taylor.

It wouldn't have happened without him either! smoking smiley

Date: January 29, 2024 21:48

dcba
Stoneage

It certainly was not the issue of not being credited for songs he co-wrote, otherwise he would have left in 71, after looking at the sleeve of Sticky Fingers and noticing MMile was officially a MJ/KR song.

Nah I think that in 74 MT thought he needed another vehicule/band to convey his huge musical talent and there was not much left the Stones could offer him.

MT certainly did not leave because of drugs because, he had a relatively bad C problem, and he went to join a band led a notorious heroin addict, Jack Bruce. So I assume - like many pro musicians from the 70s - MT thought playing with addicts was part of the job. A new normal of some sort.

So yeah I think MTs decision was a mix of ego/hubris, bad judgement over the future of the Stones, and a miscalculation about the potential of the prog-rock genre.

This is garbage. You think Taylor would seriously quit in 71 over Moonlight Mile? He was like 21 and just got started with them! Naive, probably was given promises by Jagger. Who knows.

Now after about four years or so of being uncredited, well yeah, that adds up. Him quitting wasn't as simple as "it was this or it was that". It was a cumulative effect. He was never in it for the long haul, I mean he's said it himself. He knew the '75 tour was going to be even more massive than the '72 tour, so no, I don't think the imminent destruction of the Stones was his decision, although he might have felt he did all he could do with them (not wrong). He was fed up with being confined creatively, bored musically, and sick of the pop band lifestyle. Prog had been around and there is no way he thought it was going to be more lucrative than pop music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-29 21:49 by TravelinMan.

Date: January 30, 2024 16:45

If Jagger had been more honest with Taylor/Wood/Wyman and said "In this band me and Keith get the songwriting credits no matter what. That is part of the deal.
You're free to contribute to the song writing but do not expect to get credited for that". Maybe these conflicts and sour grapes could have been avoided then?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 30, 2024 17:09

TravelinMan
dcba
Stoneage

This is garbage. You think Taylor would seriously quit in 71 over Moonlight Mile? He was like 21 and just got started with them! Naive, probably was given promises by Jagger. Who knows.

Now after about four years or so of being uncredited, well yeah, that adds up. Him quitting wasn't as simple as "it was this or it was that". It was a cumulative effect. He was never in it for the long haul, I mean he's said it himself. He knew the '75 tour was going to be even more massive than the '72 tour, so no, I don't think the imminent destruction of the Stones was his decision, although he might have felt he did all he could do with them (not wrong). He was fed up with being confined creatively, bored musically, and sick of the pop band lifestyle. Prog had been around and there is no way he thought it was going to be more lucrative than pop music.

I tend to think that he left the Stones exactly at the right point (at least for him) – with the IORR album things already had begun to go downhill. Taylor's miscalculation might have been that he thought that there was career for him that was more successful that it turned out the be.

Ronnie Wood on the other joined the Stones exctly at the right point, i.e. after the major creative work had already been done but early enough to become a full band member which saved him from being fired and eplaced at one point or another. And, of couse, he stayed long enough to earn a forutune from the mega tours from 1989 onwards

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...295296297298299300301302303304305...LastNext
Current Page: 300 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home