Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...232233234235236237238239240241242...LastNext
Current Page: 237 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 29, 2019 13:35

Midnight Toker
How great is MT? He played with the Stones for 5 years and his solos in many songs are quite memorable.

Stones music isn't about solo's.

Mathijs

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 29, 2019 13:51

Mathijs
Midnight Toker
How great is MT? He played with the Stones for 5 years and his solos in many songs are quite memorable.

Mathijs

Why not? The guitar solos were one of the things that got me into this group in the first place. I was fascinated by the sound of Keith's screeching guitar sound on the studio version of "Sympathy for the Devil" and by Mick Taylor's aching slide solo on "Love In Vain" from GYYYO. At the time I didn't know it he was using a slide but I was mesmerized by the vocal quality of the sound. And once I heard "Sticky Fingers" for the first time I was immediately drawn in by the amazing solos all over that album. Same with EOMS. The steel guitar solo on "Torn And Fray" is one of my favorites of all time. Without great guitar solos -especially those of Mick Taylor - the Stones would not have been nearly so interesting to me.

Date: May 29, 2019 14:46

Al Perkins plays the solo on Torn And Frayed.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 29, 2019 14:54

Mathijs

Mathijs

TornAndFried

Why not?

Indeed.

There's been ace solos from the start.

I Wanna Be Your Man, Stoned, Not Fade Away and so on.

I hear and feel a connection between these two. Almost as if it's the same player 6 years later.

Jones on I Wanna Be Your Man: [www.youtube.com]

Taylor on I Don't Know Why: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-29 14:59 by His Majesty.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: May 29, 2019 14:57

DandelionPowderman

It's a perfect solo

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: May 29, 2019 15:13

anyone got the cd "Cats Eyes" by Robin Millar and MT ? been wondering about how decent is the music itself and how prominent is the guitar and... is this a cd-r or silver cd ?? thanks in advance

Date: May 29, 2019 15:42

TornAndFried
DandelionPowderman

It's a perfect solo

Yep, just like Far Away Eyes and other Ronnie pedal steel-solos.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 29, 2019 18:00

When I first heard Taylor's solo on IM Free that drew my attention. My older brother had hot rocks but MT's guitar drew me in and I realized what a great player he was at that age of 20.

One could say the best live performances by the band were with Taylor's guitar and
when he came back for the 50th tour some of those performances of MR and CYHMK were awesome.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 29, 2019 18:24

DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
DandelionPowderman

It's a perfect solo

Um...two different worlds there, friend.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 29, 2019 18:25

NathanLaze
anyone got the cd "Cats Eyes" by Robin Millar and MT ? been wondering about how decent is the music itself and how prominent is the guitar and... is this a cd-r or silver cd ?? thanks in advance

I think you can stream it for free somewhere. I remember listening to it and finding it pleasant and well put together.

Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: May 29, 2019 19:52

TravelinMan

I think you can stream it for free somewhere. I remember listening to it and finding it pleasant and well put together.

thanks for the tips, my friend, found it already... very nice album indeed.

Date: May 29, 2019 20:04

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
DandelionPowderman

It's a perfect solo

Enlighten me..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 29, 2019 20:12

Might go to the Norh of Holland and do some shopping with him.
Jeroen

Date: May 29, 2019 23:44

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
DandelionPowderman

It's a perfect solo

Enlighten me..

I think that Al Perkins creates more melodic and harmonic tension and is a bit more precise in hitting the notes at the perfect pitch on T&F, compared to Ron Wood on Faraway Eyes. But the difference in playing level is not that big in this case. I'm no Guru though. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 02:34 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 30, 2019 00:18

Al Perkins is a virtuoso while Ronnie not even close.

Date: May 30, 2019 00:27

There are/were no virtuosos in the Stones.

Perkins did a nice session job.

And Ronnie has done nice pedal steel work for his band, with more heart and commitment - utilising his abilities.

Date: May 30, 2019 00:38

Misread that as disabilities...

Really though, to compare Al Perkins to Ronnie as far as skills is nonsensical imo - Perkins' solo on Torn and Frayed literally sings and sails,
while Ronnie's playing on lap pedal on whatever tune always sounds a bit of a struggle and awkward.

But I know you have your opinion, so will leave it at that.

Date: May 30, 2019 00:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 02:31 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 30, 2019 01:40

PowderMan-Thanks for the clarification.You are correct.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 30, 2019 02:23

It's near impossible for me to separate Mick Taylor's playing with The Rolling Stones sound. I'm an original fan, 12 when they hit, more like 17 or 18 when those early albums Really hit me again; exactly as Taylor was coming in; so there's no way i can dis-respect the Majesty of the Brian Jones Rolling Stones years.
Still, Taylor came in as they were starting what is a generally accepted 'golden era' peak, and he contributed to that hugely on Yas yas to and to a lesser extent on Bleed. Ya Yas, SF, EOMS (and for me Banquet and several before that),
sorta IS The Rolling Stones we mostly get on the radio and in concerts.
I often wish there was more Let Me Go and fast rockin' Respectable and a lot of other Ron era great rockers, but they don't. And Ron has been his humble, respectful self in homage to Taylor and replicating his signature parts on certain of the classics. It's true the Stones aren't about solo guitar stars like ZZ TOP or somebody, Van Halen or those...but aside from glowing solos that are distinct and imo more imaginative than meandering mostly, (and edited well by the production teams on the studio stuff....and cut short by Mick live, ever aware of pacing and moving it forward....
...but i think of Taylor as a 'soul' player and often champion even his most simple rhythms; and the little 'turnarounds' or 'punctuation' slight riffs he might use to push a rhythm part. Keith's greatest solos, it could be argued,
came with Taylor really pumping both Keith; and the entire rhythm section; like a good team player. I think he was a lot more of a Rolling Stone then the truly fancy whirlybird soaring stuff that is more his legacy then that chunka chunka push that he also contributed, imo, to the fine rhythm drive engine that is The Rolling Stones at their best.

Songs like, say, "Bitch" when these same few guys were hammering out what could work up into something solid enough for the band to finish writing
and producing with passion. Keith shines but Mick holds it down and that holds keith free to sear and snap those little two note lashes....
...for example...if that's clearly explained....Mick T. is holding down Major riffage that Angus would appreciate (if not steal, uh, appropriate)...
....i champion Taylor as the underdog who doesn't deserve it at all.
the machine that mick Jagger built is it's own machine so i hesitate to speculate too much...bu sure... i personally do not see it hurting their show, their legacy, even their recording work; with Mick; he'd get it together; he's tried hard it seems in the past; to try to earn their renewed respect; it just never happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-30 02:41 by hopkins.

Date: May 30, 2019 02:46

I think he's precious and should get tons or Rolling Stone fan love, respect and interest...
...and support always. With thanks and encouragement.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 30, 2019 03:24

DandelionPowderman
Midnight Toker

Since MT's departure, can you name the most memorable/best guitar solo in any Stones song since?
It was not played by Woody IMO. It was played by Harvey Mandell on "Hand of Fate". That solo was wicked and if you told me MT played it back then, I might have believed you.

Wayne Perkins played the solos on HOF and WAY. Mandell played the solo on HS. Pretty standard solos, imo.

Keith and Ronnie on Down In The Hole have more soul, feeling, character, interesting interplay, darkness, heart and spontaneousness - again imho.

Personally, I think Down In The Hole is one of their weaker blues numbers.

Date: May 30, 2019 06:55

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
Midnight Toker

Since MT's departure, can you name the most memorable/best guitar solo in any Stones song since?
It was not played by Woody IMO. It was played by Harvey Mandell on "Hand of Fate". That solo was wicked and if you told me MT played it back then, I might have believed you.

Wayne Perkins played the solos on HOF and WAY. Mandell played the solo on HS. Pretty standard solos, imo.

Keith and Ronnie on Down In The Hole have more soul, feeling, character, interesting interplay, darkness, heart and spontaneousness - again imho.

Personally, I think Down In The Hole is one of their weaker blues numbers.

I think it's a decent blues tune, and even a highlight of Emotional Rescue (there aren't many on that album), but mainly because of Mick's vocals and the lyrics.
I imagine Mick Taylor might have elevated it to "classic" level, but alas it's somewhat lacking a certain something imo. There's some great harmonica playing on that tune though from Sugar Blue.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 31, 2019 01:07

A nice guitar solo or great lead playing ALWAYS makes a song better.ALWAYS.

Too bad MT didn't play the solo on "Streets of Love" and on other Stones songs since 1975. No offense to Woody, but his leads/solos are not in the same league as MT. If you believe to the contrary, name TWO great Woody solos in the last 44 years.

Date: May 31, 2019 03:05

the glims for whatever varied reasons sorta have taylor in the bill file,
in the sense that with bill, zt least after a lot of posturing and promotion
that was necessry I guess, did admit that losing Bill was a very big deal.
Bill wanted to leave and did; I'm not dredging up all that; just the point
that unlike Bill now; Taylor still has ace skills and delivery.
He also seems to have genuine humility and has had great achievements and recognition; but also a pretty hard go with things along the way as well.

I'll never second-guess Mick; he's got the thing that works like clockwork;
he works hard to deliver a good show and they all do, so that's that.
They are NOT that much into hanging together or playing together these last
decades in real life; tho their Tour lifetime record, still going, is way past amazing and awe-inspiring; Example of this also the fabled 'new album' since '05; that's a lot of years between two writers,,,,three writers actually...
...so the fantasy of what it would be like if they worked up some basic tracks with Taylor sometime will always remain a fantasy; giving him an acoustic for Brown Sugar was sorta cheesy....Taylor was still a teenager; i can't even begin to understand what those years were like for any of them.....To me, Mick Taylor will always be a Rolling Stone.
A foundation in their sound, and essential and major component in who they are and what they are; and when they became, undisputed pretty much, except for Zep fans, (but The Stones were having hits when the Yardbirds were faltering)...

The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.
Everything was changing. P.A.'s were getting huge and more accurate.
People were listening and dancing; not screaming and making for the stage.
some of the best guitarists this world, and these related genres, were
still working; some peaking....that's what's on my mind right now.
every-time i listen to my 'go to' faves aside from a few on the 'ron era' i dearly also love...Taylor's a Stone. Every step he takes, there walks a Rolling Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 03:12 by hopkins.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:36

hopkins
Taylor's a Stone. Every step he takes, there walks a Rolling Stone.

Nah. He's too much his own person and musician for that kind of labelling.

Brian, Mick and Keith are/were The Rolling Stones. Nearly everything about them is entangled in the band they defined and the band that defined them. They don't amount to much outside of that.

That's not the case with Mick Taylor. His playing is what defines him.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 31, 2019 11:49

Midnight Toker
A nice guitar solo or great lead playing ALWAYS makes a song better.ALWAYS.

Too bad MT didn't play the solo on "Streets of Love" and on other Stones songs since 1975. No offense to Woody, but his leads/solos are not in the same league as MT. If you believe to the contrary, name TWO great Woody solos in the last 44 years.

Neighbors studio, Horses live 75 are my favs, but there just is not one single ronnie solo that is not at least great!

C

Date: May 31, 2019 12:01

His Majesty
hopkins
Taylor's a Stone. Every step he takes, there walks a Rolling Stone.

Nah. He's too much his own person and musician for that kind of labelling.

Brian, Mick and Keith are/were The Rolling Stones. Nearly everything about them is entangled in the band they defined and the band that defined them. They don't amount to much outside of that.

That's not the case with Mick Taylor. His playing is what defines him.

That's correct. Still I'm glad he played with them for a couple of years. It was a very special time to me, the main reason I listen to te Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 13:20 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2019 12:09

Midnight Toker
name TWO great Woody solos in the last 44 years.

The seldom mentioned "Out Of Tears" comes to mind... thumbs up

Date: May 31, 2019 12:53

it's hard, but getting easier for me not to 'take the bait'
of comparing solos by ron and mickey tee. it's just not fair to either guitarist;
they are so different. yes i stand corrected in that Mick T. is not the same Stone as the others who are defined pretty much only by their Stones-ship; and not Bluesbreakers then all that stuff with His Bobness and others.
I guess it's just my frame of reference being 17 turning 18 when Liver Than You'll Ever Be then Ya Yas came out. No matter who Taylor is playing with it always
seems to me personally that that's the Stones guitar player. But I do appreciate the corrections and the sentiment of respect they have for Taylor and the Stones too. I guess maybe some part of me, less than previous decades,
but some part of me still thinks of Ron as the Faces guitar player
and the amazing acoustic 12 and beautiful electric rhythm and lead things
he did with Rod Stewart earl solo stuff too.
That's also due to 'coming of age' as Long Player and A Nod is As Good as A Wink were coming out; Jeff Beck with Rod and Ron had blown me away but i'd never seen them. I DID see Faces close up at Fillmore East and every time
I've seen the Stones with Ron, not that many, (he did fine) I was also
always reminded me of how much of a huge guitar star he was with Faces.
they carry that legacy for fans who have seen them do their best in their primes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-31 12:58 by hopkins.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...232233234235236237238239240241242...LastNext
Current Page: 237 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home