Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 17, 2019 20:07

OpenG
ted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 17, 2019 19:18

TornAndFried
dcba
Think of how much MT made guesting on the Stones tour between 2012 and 2014 (20k 30k per gig?). Multiply the sum by the number of shows played and you'll see MT has a gathered a pretty neat pension plan.

During the same tours, you thinks he made more or less than... i) Darryl Jones, ii) Bobby Keys, iii) Chuck Leavell

Date: May 17, 2019 22:18

DandelionPowderman
PhillyFAN
There is a Mick Taylor
O
FB page "Time Waits for No One".

+ The Mick Taylor Fan Club. I prefer the latter.

thumbs up

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 17, 2019 23:21

The comparison with Taylor to 'most people' isn't really valid.
How many of 'most people' could play, and for a consensus, elevate the stones like taylor, or hold their own with the past guitarists with John Mayall, or Jack Bruce or Dylan. I'd say none.He's one of the best players we've had. If you're known as being one of the best. in life for those at the top of their respective profession the likelihood is you'll get rewarded as well as the stature of that profession allows. like lawyers, sportsmen, bankers. Sadly in the creative professions sometimes it doesn't work out that way, and a little too often for sure

Date: May 17, 2019 23:26

I agree he was underused with the stones recently, and to not be invited again must get like a kick in the balls after it initially looking so promising. i loved what he brought to songs like streets of love, slipping away just as much as when he was given the showcase slots of MR & CYHMK. The promise for me was what was brewing in the supportive slots like SOL & SA. thats what I'm gutted about, it showed the band being a band altogether.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 18, 2019 00:21

He would make a great opening act! A short blues set.

Date: May 18, 2019 22:58

That could embarrass The RS's Blues luggage, guitarwise. So that's not going to happen. Not that the bigger audience would notice it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 18, 2019 23:06

he's starting a punk band will bill.
no deal yet but free burgers, he ain't bitchin...
i think they got adler, they just need a singer...
i was thinking of maybe a hip hop guy. those kids buy a lot of streams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-18 23:08 by hopkins.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 19, 2019 16:26

PhillyFAN

Imo that's exactly what Mick wants to avoid. He prefers "modern" acts with a "modern" sound (even if that means bands that are forgotten today like Kasabian).

Pt deux : chossing the opening acts is entirely Mick's business since 89 or so. That's why over the years we got silly acts (like the Spin Doctors), acts that at the time were "hot" and appealed to the 10-20 yo "concert audience" segment (the one Jagger caters to obsessively).
Gone are the days when Buddy Guy and Junior Wells or Etta James would open Stones shows.
What's totally ironic is when Keef was in an "altered" state of mind he had more weight in the choice of opening acts than now. In 75 he'd personnally choose Furry Lewis for a show. Nowadays he's never heard of 99% of the acts that show up backstage to shake his hand and grab a souvenir pic.

"Hey Pierre have you noticed there's a chick in that band... urh urh urh!" he could have said when he met the Pumpkins.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 20:09 by dcba.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 19, 2019 18:35

Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new

PhillyFAN

Imo that's exactly what Mick wants to avoid. He prefers "modern" acts with a "modern" sound (even if that means bands that are forgotten today like Kasabian).

I agree at this point if he kept himself busy with guesting on some studio material with modern acts would be great - Rich Robinson loves him maybe with his band or Chris's band.

The days of MT joining up with the Dead, Govt Mule the Black Crowes, the Allman
Brothers are gone. Those would of been some choices for him to land as all those bands during their careers needed another guitar player.

Do some studio work - After he composed Spanish A Minor I thought that could be a vehicle for him to do music movie landscapes. Just a pipe dream

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 19, 2019 19:11

OpenG
Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now... new

PhillyFAN

I agree at this point if he kept himself busy with guesting on some studio material with modern acts would be great - Rich Robinson loves him maybe with his band or Chris's band.

The days of MT joining up with the Dead, Govt Mule the Black Crowes, the Allman
Brothers are gone. Those would of been some choices for him to land as all those bands during their careers needed another guitar player.

Do some studio work - After he composed Spanish A Minor I thought that could be a vehicle for him to do music movie landscapes. Just a pipe dream

Just pointing out that Gov't Mule has never had 2 straight guitar players. They started as a trio and later added a keyboardist who can also play guitar if it is necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-19 19:16 by boogaloojef.

Date: May 19, 2019 19:16

yes I know thanks - just would of been a great band to join is all I was thinking-

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 20, 2019 19:21

I have to think he’s got recorded material out there. I’m not sure why he couldn’t use some of the tracks recorded and sort of do a “Plundered My Soul” approach by maybe having some of his unreleased solo album’s keyboards/drums re-recorded to not sound so 80’s.

I think he was in Nashville a lot in the early 90’s with Carla Olson, so maybe there is some of his own stuff recorded during that period. I know one engineer that said he played LOUD to achieve his tone. Probably what ticked Keef off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-20 19:22 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 20, 2019 19:29

TravelinMan
I I know one engineer that said he played LOUD to achieve his tone. Probably what ticked Keef off.

Keef annoyed by someone playing loud? Kettle, pot, etc... >grinning smiley<

Date: May 20, 2019 19:37

If we are talking Ampegs here you have to crank them up to get the best sound out of it.

Date: May 20, 2019 23:50

For me Taylor plays best when playing with a band with balls, he then makes those balls swing better than everyone else and those balls fill him with the juice that makes his guitar howl, cry & scream or whisper moan and mangle. if he doesn't have a band with balls he doesn't play as great as he can.

I've seen him with so so players, and he still played ace, lifted them up and took your breathe away etc however, I've also seen him play with a band with balls and he lifted them too, but THEY also lifted him and it was chillingly spectacular.

This is what he needs, players with balls he can lock into - thats where the magic begins.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 23, 2019 09:37

MT is a great lead,rhythm and slide guitar player. Very few players can ascend
and descend a fret board with the style and grace as MT.

MT's vibrato gives me goosebumps. As someone who has played guitar for 45 years
and can play EVERY Keith Richards and Mick Taylor lick note for note,there is no
finer guitarist than MT.

Listening to Ya Ya's live when MT was a 20 year old, speaks volumes about his
playing. He is flawless IMO and plays off KR's rhythm perfectly. I miss him with the Stones very much.

His solos on Winter and TWFNO are epic.Learn them both if you are an up and coming guitar player.

Date: May 23, 2019 14:50

Midnight Toker

and can play EVERY Keith Richards and Mick Taylor lick note for note,there is no
finer guitarist than MT.

playing. He is flawless IMO and plays off KR's rhythm perfectly. I miss him with the Stones very much.

His solos on Winter and TWFNO are epic.Learn them both if you are an up and coming guitar player.

I think you just described the man perfectly well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 23, 2019 16:55

I was admiring the Spanish style guitar fills on "Till The Next Goodbye" just this morning.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 23, 2019 23:15

TheflyingDutchman
Midnight Toker

finer guitarist than MT.

I think you just described the man perfectly well.

I definitely agree with all of that. thumbs up
It is such a shame we are not seeing MT play live any more.
Such a wasted talent that he feels unable to let loose on stage with a decent band of musicians any more.sad smiley
The day will come I'm sure when we WILL see Mick Taylor doing what he does best. thumbs up

Date: May 24, 2019 15:09

Midnight Toker

What if his dexterity became detrimental to the quality of the band's output. Said differently : did these tracks pass the QC standards because of their great solo. Said differently : is it possible to imagine Jagger thought : "ok this is a weak song, with rather weak riffing but Blondie's solo saves it. So we'll put it on the album".

Thoughts for the week-end...

Date: May 24, 2019 16:43

Weak Riffing?

Date: May 24, 2019 16:46

Neither song matches the glory of the 68-72 output (imo). They showcase the creative decline that happen between 73 and 76 (imo again).
These are good songs but in a 2nd rate fashion (final imo). grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2019 16:59

TheflyingDutchman
Weak Riffing?

I think he is referring to Jagger's guitar smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2019 18:06

[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor-This Is Hip

some great slide and singing from MT. that fat slide vibrato signature taylor.

Date: May 24, 2019 18:56

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Weak Riffing?

I think he is referring to Jagger's guitar smiling smiley

Thought as much. smiling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 24, 2019 22:21

In regards to the amp:

This was early 90's so probably some sort of stock tube amp you'd find in any of the old Nashville studios. Probably a tube with only one volume control rather than a separate gain knob stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-24 22:22 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 25, 2019 00:00

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Mick Taylor-This Is Hip

some great slide and singing from MT. that fat slide vibrato signature taylor.

And some greats on that record sleeve.

Date: May 27, 2019 21:14

[www.youtube.com]

MICK TAYLOR & DEAD AMANDA: Turns To Gold

Bonus Track on the Japanese CD-Version of "Live At 14 Below"
Recorded: 1993 in Los Angeles
Mick Taylor: Guitar
Hasty Ambush: Vocals and Guitar
Dizzy Reed: Keyboards
Bobby Owsinski: Bass and Producer
Dick Ritchie: Drums

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 29, 2019 11:26

How great is MT? He played with the Stones for 5 years and his solos in many songs are quite memorable.

Since MT's departure, can you name the most memorable/best guitar solo in any Stones song since?
It was not played by Woody IMO. It was played by Harvey Mandell on "Hand of Fate". That solo was wicked and if you told me MT played it back then, I might have believed you.

Date: May 29, 2019 11:38

Midnight Toker
How great is MT? He played with the Stones for 5 years and his solos in many songs are quite memorable.

Since MT's departure, can you name the most memorable/best guitar solo in any Stones song since?
It was not played by Woody IMO. It was played by Harvey Mandell on "Hand of Fate". That solo was wicked and if you told me MT played it back then, I might have believed you.

Wayne Perkins played the solos on HOF and WAY. Mandell played the solo on HS. Pretty standard solos, imo.

Keith and Ronnie on Down In The Hole have more soul, feeling, character, interesting interplay, darkness, heart and spontaneousness - again imho.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...231232233234235236237238239240241...LastNext
Current Page: 236 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home