Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:12

Great shots pepganzo! Thanks. He doesn't look particularly healthy though. sad smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 11, 2015 22:11

pepganzo
Taylor was on fire during this show.

1970-10-07 Grugahalle, Essen, West-Germany

Love in Vain is perfect, Sympathy is dangerous and also Stray Cat has got something special. The Stones must release this concert. This tour is an evolution of the '69 one.

I think Ice Cream In The Foyer is the best bootleg of this tour.

I think so too. And yes, we desperately need a release from the 1970 tour, one of the best tours they ever did.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 11, 2015 22:41

Anybody know those effects pedals?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 11, 2015 23:58

Sorry just wondered what the latest update was on Mick Taylor without having to read through pages. Hope he is well

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 12, 2015 00:15

kleermaker
pepganzo

Love in Vain is perfect, Sympathy is dangerous and also Stray Cat has got something special. The Stones must release this concert. This tour is an evolution of the '69 one.

I think so too. And yes, we desperately need a release from the 1970 tour, one of the best tours they ever did.

did they regularly only play a 13-song set in '70?

also, what happened to htw and sfm at the essen show?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:15

TravelinMan
Anybody know those effects pedals?

One's a Colorsound Fuzz Wah, I think, the other looks like some sort of Tonebender?

Date: September 12, 2015 19:32

LongBeachArena72
kleermaker
pepganzo

did they regularly only play a 13-song set in '70?

also, what happened to htw and sfm at the essen show?

The gig simply hasn't been fully recorded. See this info from Nico Zentgraf:

7th October: Essen, West-Germany, Grugahalle, incl.
(Jumping Jack Flash/Roll Over Beethoven/Sympathy For The Devil/
Stray Cat Blues/Love In Vain/Dead Flowers/Midnight Rambler/Live With Me/Let It Rock/Little Queenie/Brown Sugar)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 19:33 by kleermaker.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 07:26

[www.youtube.com]

MT doing some production wit Jim Lacey-Baker.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-13 07:30 by lapaz62.

Date: September 13, 2015 07:29

[www.youtube.com]

MT and Jim Lacey-Baker at a coffee shop before that Studio Session.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-13 07:32 by lapaz62.

Posted by: MickTaylor1969 ()
Date: September 13, 2015 23:51

I think Mick Taylor was one of the best guitarists the stones ever had. I do wish he would have learned to listen to people say. He said he had that problem. Mick was a good guy but the Stones did treat him unfairly.

Date: September 13, 2015 23:55

Listen to people say what?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 14, 2015 12:29

DandelionPowderman

Quite a few people that were around Taylor must have said that it's not a smart move to leave the Stones. Good advice ignored.

Date: September 15, 2015 06:08

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Quite a few people that were around Taylor must have said that it's not a smart move to leave the Stones. Good advice ignored.

Just maybe some agreed with him, didn't Wyman want to leave around the same time as well and it's also very common in Rock music, people leave famous bands all the time. Usually for the simplest of reasons.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2015 06:12

lapaz62
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Just maybe some agreed with him, didn't Wyman want to leave around the same time as well and it's also very common in Rock music, people leave famous bands all the time. Usually for the simplest of reasons.

No one, Mick, Keith and Charlie included, couldn't have fathomed the band would be around over 40 years after Mick Taylor left, still superstars rolling in dough.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 07:37

treaclefingers
lapaz62
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

No one, Mick, Keith and Charlie included, couldn't have fathomed the band would be around over 40 years after Mick Taylor left, still superstars rolling in dough.

according to MT the question isn't should he or shouldn't he have left, but rather should he have joined at all. and people wonder why the band isn't more gracious to him....

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 11:44

Turner68
according to MT the question isn't should he or shouldn't he have left, but rather should he have joined at all.

Haughty MT.
But he did get his punishment.

Date: September 15, 2015 12:36

lapaz62
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

That's true, and my post is just my own opinion about it. Taylor himself has given many answers on the subject over the years.They vary between having regrets and being convinced to have done the right thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 12:42 by LuxuryStones.

Date: September 15, 2015 12:44

It was probably a tug of war between family and friends saying he could make it on his own and those who thought he'd be mad for leaving the Stones.

Bruce might have been the catalyst, though.

Date: September 15, 2015 14:35

LuxuryStones
lapaz62
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

That's true, and my post is just my own opinion about it. Taylor himself has given many answers on the subject over the years.They vary between having regrets and being convinced to have done the right thing.

I agree with Luxury that Taylor made a fatal mistake. He could have done his own things while staying in the band, but he was doubtful and listened to wrong advice.

Over the years he has been incredibly inconsistent about his leaving, his oneliner that "the question isn't should I or shouldn't I have left, but rather should I have joined at all" doesn't conceal the fact that he knows very well that he made a big mistake.

At the time he left the Stones there was enough room to do your own projects as a Stone. Besides the band wasn't living like a family as they did before. So he could have solved his addiction problems easily while staying in the band.

As for songwriting credits, that issue wasn't new nor decisive, nor was him being wiped from studio recordings. During the 1973 tour it was Jagger, Richards and Taylor doing the regular press conferences. That tells enough about his position in the band. And don't let's forget that he was a full member.

But after all history can't be changed alas.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2015 16:54

This is on my mind right now:

Date: September 15, 2015 16:55

Nice slide playing by Keith, as well as the tex-mex licks from Taylor, in an otherwise forgettable song, imo.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 21:52

The Jack Bruce move would seem to have been obvious, just at MT followed Peter Green and Clapton into the Bluesbreakers. The major difference career-wise is that both Greenie and Clapton either were, or wound up lead vocalists. Even Leslie West was more of a vocalist. MT would have been left to have a Gary Moore sort of status, as a guitar gunslinger. That's what the move to Jack Bruce portended. As point of example, MT replaced Steve Hunter in the Jack Bruce Band when Steve's other commitments left him unable to tour. Of course, by the eighties, great session or touring rock guitarists were less in demand. The Dylan gig was ideal is some ways, but of course, Bob came along with the package!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 15, 2015 22:53

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
lapaz62
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

I agree with Luxury that Taylor made a fatal mistake. He could have done his own things while staying in the band, but he was doubtful and listened to wrong advice.

Over the years he has been incredibly inconsistent about his leaving, his oneliner that "the question isn't should I or shouldn't I have left, but rather should I have joined at all" doesn't conceal the fact that he knows very well that he made a big mistake.

At the time he left the Stones there was enough room to do your own projects as a Stone. Besides the band wasn't living like a family as they did before. So he could have solved his addiction problems easily while staying in the band.

As for songwriting credits, that issue wasn't new nor decisive, nor was him being wiped from studio recordings. During the 1973 tour it was Jagger, Richards and Taylor doing the regular press conferences. That tells enough about his position in the band. And don't let's forget that he was a full member.

But after all history can't be changed alas.

At some level it's easy to agree with you analysis kleerie but there are a few factors that seem to be missing, imo.

First, it order to conclude that it was truly a mistake for him to leave you've kind of made the assumption that money and success are the most important factors in MT's life and while that may be so for many, it's obvious that health and creative satisfaction were more important to Taylor at that time. I find those pretty good reasons actually. You say he could have done other stuff while in the band but not only was that unprecedented at the time it would have probably caused more tension between him and mick and Keith.

Secondly, he has never indicated that he knows himself he made a big mistake. I think his interviews have been honest if nothing else and lot of people tend to project that sentiment on him. Dishing out spoonfuls of regret. I find it all a bit stale and representative of societies shallow values than real and good intentioned.

As far as the addiction issue goes, as I understand it part of "solving" such problems involves getting away from the people and places that perpetuated the problem. I'm not saying he did a particularly good job of that going to work with Jack Bruce and Co., but they might have been more personally secretive about their addictions and clearly the scene around Keith and Anita was a bit more open and produced a few more casualties. Taylor might not have been able to survive 1975-1979 with Keith. He has survived, is finally sober and probably happy so all's well that ends well, imo

Basically if MT is alive and happy in 2015, who's to judge him by his decision to quit the Stones so long ago and further more judge him to the extent as to say it was a huge mistake, when he himself has never said as much?

From a purely selfish musical perspective, I certainly wish he had never made the decision, of course.

Date: September 16, 2015 00:32

. edited

Date: September 16, 2015 05:24

Like Taylor said to Howard Stern on the Jimmy Fallon show, Get Over It.

Date: September 16, 2015 11:26

lapaz62

I did.winking smiley

Date: September 16, 2015 20:42

LuxuryStones
lapaz62

I did.winking smiley

I don't believe a word of it! smiling smiley

Date: September 16, 2015 22:49

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
lapaz62

I did.winking smiley

I don't believe a word of it! smiling smiley

Holy shit, edit, yes, Taylor did. grinning smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 17, 2015 16:49

“It was inevitable. I was becoming so depressed and frustrated that it was rubbing off on the group. I had a lot of personal problems which had nothing to do with the group. I was bored. Not bored with the Rolling Stones but bored with myself. I knew I had a lot more inside me, and it needed to get out.

I was actually getting very bored with the inactivity and the lack of direction. You know, for a whole year we just really didn’t do anything. We didn’t see each other and nothing was happening. And there were all sorts of things going on that had absolutely nothing to do with the band and being on the road and making records, which, I think, interfered with relationships within the band.

I think if I’d have been a little older, I don’t think I would have left actually. You know, I don’t REGRET that I left, but because I hadn’t been involved with them right from the beginning, there was much more of a sense of urgency about needing to do something else, inside me, you know. Whereas with the rest of them, they always knew inside themselves that no matter how difficult things were or how crazy things were, they’d sort of always be together, they’d get through it.”

-Mick Taylor

[tumblingstonesandrollingdice.tumblr.com]

Date: September 17, 2015 17:07

I think if I’d have been a little older, I don’t think I would have left actually.
-Mick Taylor

Exactly that. Count in that he loved to play with the recent Stones and he was very disappointed not been invited on their last tour, what's there left to guess?

Imo regrets- it would be strange if he hadn't.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...168169170171172173174175176177178...LastNext
Current Page: 173 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home