Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2015 07:18

Well they have before ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 8, 2015 08:44

71Tele
lem motlow
one of the side effects of taylor not being on the tour is that it has triggered jagger derangement syndrome [JDS]in a number of fans.
the onset of jds comes quickly,the patient becomes angry at the aging rockstar for a number of reasons both real and imagined and it can be set off at anytime.

if a friend or family member becomes afflicted with jds do the following-

calmly explain that we dont really know why mr taylor isn't going to be on tour and it could be-
1.mr taylor is ill
2.he doesnt want to be there
3.a certain mr richards may not want to spend the hours upon hours required to work the rolling stones into a 3 guitar band.
4.the band may have decided collectively they want to carry on being a two guitar band, they way they've been for over 50 years.
5.mr taylor has other obligations.
6.taylor has left the music business and joined isis
7.reasons we will never know and therefore cant pin on mick jagger
8.charlie didnt like his clothes
9.his trips to the backstage buffet resulted in a loss for the band
10.he joined the allman brothers

None of these are the reason Taylor isn't with them.

What, not even No.7?

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: April 8, 2015 09:15

I personally can not pretend to know or understand the inner dynamics of The Rolling Stones.

I have been under the impression that the band has been getting along very well and that is why the touring is continuing this year. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

I also got a feeling that Mick Taylor was poised to be asked to return to the band as a member; mostly as he was playing with them so much the last 2 years. It just looked that way to me. Maybe I was being just hopeful as I know how beloved he is by so many fans. Obviously I was wrong.

I am praying that Mick Taylor does not have health issues.

Date: April 8, 2015 10:13

duke richardson
71Tele
lem motlow
one of the side effects of taylor not being on the tour is that it has triggered jagger derangement syndrome [JDS]in a number of fans.
the onset of jds comes quickly,the patient becomes angry at the aging rockstar for a number of reasons both real and imagined and it can be set off at anytime.

calmly explain that we dont really know why mr taylor isn't going to be on tour and it could be-
1.mr taylor is ill
3.a certain mr richards may not want to spend the hours upon hours required to work the rolling stones into a 3 guitar band.
4.the band may have decided collectively they want to carry on being a two guitar band, they way they've been for over 50 years.

None of these are the reason Taylor isn't with them.

I think 2 and 3 might be the most plausible..

but what is the reason..?

insurance or something..

It's not #2.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 8, 2015 11:14

Isn't 11 an insurance issue ? - seems quite plausible

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 8, 2015 16:46

Well there is still time for them to change their minds about bringing Taylor back. The tour does not start until the end of May. Plenty of time to rehearse a few songs. If Mick Jagger thinks the fans want him back, I believe they will put him in for a few songs.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 8, 2015 19:22

PhillyFAN
Well there is still time for them to change their minds about bringing Taylor back. The tour does not start until the end of May. Plenty of time to rehearse a few songs. If Mick Jagger thinks the fans want him back, I believe they will put him in for a few songs.

The thing is, as has been said, without MT the guys can still sell out stadia in seconds all over the world. Plus, as it's been the four guys on promotional stuff for years now it wouldn't surprise me if many people didn't even know who Taylor and Bill were. The fact that they're doing SF may have some bearing on it but then Roger Waters toured Floyd's biggest two records by himself (bar some guest appearances) to sell out crowds.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 8, 2015 22:39

PhillyFAN
If Mick Jagger thinks the fans want him back, I believe they will put him in for a few songs.

See, thats the stuff that makes me laugh. Cause thats obviously insane, cause EVERYTHING we bitched about this last tour was that Taylor wasn't getting enough songs. So there's no way the cry over him not being here at all will outweigh our concerns for last year. And they are probably right. They are The Rolling Stones, not us. They don't, and probably shouldn't, listen to us.

I agree with Naturalist that I don't think anything has soured between Taylor and the band. If they did more anniversary shows or reunion shows, I have no doubt he'd be included. My point is I don't know if there are any of those left. They've had their anniversary. I don't know what reunion could happen. The only event in that wheelhouse is an award or something like the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, and I don't think there's any honor they'll get that'll warrant Taylor's inclusion. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think they'd bring him back if Keith stops being able to cut it. They do like 20 shows a year. If Keith can't cut it, I think they'll just stop touring, instead of bring Taylor back to plug up another leak. I'm just guessing that at 70 they've stopped worry about leaks.

I stand by my point that they just didn't want him to rejoin the band. A fair point that is only marred by the fact they are touring a 40 year old album which he was on. But they didn't want him joining the band again, and I think they thought if he stayed as a guest for one more tour it would have been too weird. Something had to be done, and the more likely option was they'd just have him stop guesting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 22:45 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 9, 2015 03:30

I agree that I doubt there has been a major falling out. My guess is that the reason why Taylor's involvement (and Wyman's for that matter) wasn't bigger is the amount of work involved. The songs would have had to have been rearranged for three guitars and they'd have had to have got tight together (again). It's a shame but I can see their reasoning. At the end of the day as I said above they can still sell out ridiculously huge venues in seconds with the current lineup and I doubt people won't go because of any ex member's absence. Plus, if hypothetically they had gone out with Bill and Mick T in 2012 and beyond I imagine they'd have to pay them more than 'session' guys so less cash in the pot so to speak.

I imagine MT may be back but they evidently didn't want to take the time to include him more and it is silly to drag him around the globe to play one song a night. There have been breaks in touring where they could have rearranged stuff if they wanted to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 03:31 by Seb91.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:02

Seb91
PhillyFAN

The thing is, as has been said, without MT the guys can still sell out stadia in seconds all over the world. Plus, as it's been the four guys on promotional stuff for years now it wouldn't surprise me if many people didn't even know who Taylor and Bill were. The fact that they're doing SF may have some bearing on it but then Roger Waters toured Floyd's biggest two records by himself (bar some guest appearances) to sell out crowds.

I just don't think that "the guys" can sell out stadiums all over the world anymore. I was at a half-emty Gillete Stadium in Foxboro, MA in 2006. Bought tickets at the stadium window and rocked out. I will be very surprised if they sell out all the shows this upcoming tour. Many of my friends, myself included, only went to see them in 2013 because of Mick Taylor, certaining not to listen to the was horses again and again . . .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:31

Mr. Jimi
Seb91
PhillyFAN

I just don't think that "the guys" can sell out stadiums all over the world anymore. I was at a half-emty Gillete Stadium in Foxboro, MA in 2006. Bought tickets at the stadium window and rocked out. I will be very surprised if they sell out all the shows this upcoming tour. Many of my friends, myself included, only went to see them in 2013 because of Mick Taylor, certaining not to listen to the was horses again and again . . .
While I kind of agree with this, I don't know if its true. 2006 seemed like an anomaly. I saw them at Giants Stadium in the NY area then and I remember what a big deal was made that it undersold. I didn't really notice it while I was there, but I doubt the band didn't know and I remember thinking "they play like they're playing to a full stadium!"

I guess that is similar to now, where its only half empty because they come around so often, but I think because of this tour being so spread out this may do better than 06. But I think they still may sell rather well. I personally wouldn't get them, but there are a lot of stupid casual fans out there.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:34

Doxa
gotdablouse

On topic, MJ was asked about Taylor in the RS interview [www.rollingstone.com] and he's still being somewhat "diplomatic" about Taylor :
Q : Are you bringing Mick Taylor on this tour?
A : I don't think so. We're not. Not on this tour.

Maybe a future tour then, would have made sense to have him for a SF/ZIP inspired tour but they probably didn't want to get him/fans to think he would now be a permanent guest/backup like say Bernard or Lisa or Tim, or Blondie for a while. Many good/business reasons for that I suppose...

Yeah, Mick gives the impression that nothing fatal or final has happened, and Tayor might show up one day/tour again. Something just happened for this particular tour. I personally have given up any speculation whatever that "something" is... Seemingly always when Taylor 'disappears', we all are just left with quesses...grinning smiley

Another impression I get from Mick is: 'look, if Taylor is there or not, it's not any big deal'.

- Doxa

On the one of the most recent Marc Maron podcasts (here), Mick definitively says MT will not be on this tour - it starts at 18:35. No big secrets are revealed, but I wonder if it has to do with MT getting such a huge applause every time he hit the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 04:34 by MJG196.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 04:56

Mr. Jimi
Seb91
PhillyFAN

I find the same general feeling up here in Toronto. I've been going to Stones concerts with the same folks for almost 40 years. I could barely get them interested to go two years ago and it was Mick Taylor's guest spot that was the deciding factor. We got CYHMK and Midnight Rambler and it made the night. It's all we talked about having 'come of age' with Ya-ya's, Sticky and Exile.
Now I'm getting..."Again? Really?..."No Mick Taylor? Seriously? Are you kidding?"..."Ahh, I don't know this time..."

It's tough to get my 'boomer' friends interested. No new album. No new song. No MT. Are there enough young/new fans, first timers around to make the tour sell out? I don't know...but I didn't feel the need to rush out to get an Amex card!

Date: April 9, 2015 16:05

Mr. Jimi
Seb91
PhillyFAN

Ah, it was a nightmare getting tickets for Twickenham (originally Wembley) in 2006.

palerider22
Mr. Jimi
Seb91
PhillyFAN

I find the same general feeling up here in Toronto. I've been going to Stones concerts with the same folks for almost 40 years. I could barely get them interested to go two years ago and it was Mick Taylor's guest spot that was the deciding factor. We got CYHMK and Midnight Rambler and it made the night. It's all we talked about having 'come of age' with Ya-ya's, Sticky and Exile.
Now I'm getting..."Again? Really?..."No Mick Taylor? Seriously? Are you kidding?"..."Ahh, I don't know this time..."

It's tough to get my 'boomer' friends interested. No new album. No new song. No MT. Are there enough young/new fans, first timers around to make the tour sell out? I don't know...but I didn't feel the need to rush out to get an Amex card!

Yeah, MT clinched the deal for me going to Hyde Park. Talk of Bill and Mick T before the O2 shows in 2012 made me excited in a way I hadn't been in a while. I didn't go to The O2 shows in 2007 as I'd seen them in 2006. I mean the guys charge so much for tickets you need something special to fork out again. If they ever do a 'farewell' show I imagine MT and Bill may be invited back. Hoping MT may do some more solo shows. Before he 'rejoined' the Stones he was doing solo stuff.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:15

bv
Feel free to use this thread to discuss Mick Taylor, The Rolling Stones guitar player from 1969 to the mid 70's, his playing, his involvement with the Rolling Stones and related subjects. If you start a new thread about Mick Taylor here on IORR it might be merged into this thread, to keep the information and discussions in one place.
Any truth that they are dropping Taylor from the USA concerts, Jesus I hope not,if
anything they shouid be making Him a FULLY FLEDGED MEMBER of the STONES, ie On
stage for the ENTIRE SHOW drinking smiley

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:05

Mick Taylor is the key here. Bring him and all stadiums will sell out, without him maybe just half the stadium will sell. He's the master, really can't understand how the Stones had the balls to continue when he left.confused smiley

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:25

From Keith's interview that just came out in Rolling Stone:

Are you bringing Mick Taylor on the tour?

Um, I'm not sure. The last I heard…I'm not sure if he's available or what his condition is at the moment. I'm waiting to hear about that.

That's a shame because he's all over Sticky Fingers.

Yeah, it's just one of those things. I'm not sure. I just haven't gotten into that thing, but I heard he was sick. [Through a representative, Taylor says he is not sick and was not invited onto the tour.]

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:31

MJG196
No big secrets are revealed, but I wonder if it has to do with MT getting such a huge applause every time he hit the stage.

I think you're coming very near the truth here. It always has puzzled me why my uploads of the Glastonbury Can't You Hear Me Knocking with Taylor were blocked world wide by Eagle Rock each time, while other Stones uploads from that gig are to be watched at YouTube.

First I thought they would release a DVD of it, but that hasn't happened and probably won't happen. Besides, in that case ALL videos of that gig would have been blocked and wouldn't be visible at YT. But especially this song is blocked each time! Guess why.

Date: April 9, 2015 19:35

Jimmy C
From Keith's interview that just came out in Rolling Stone:

Are you bringing Mick Taylor on the tour?

Um, I'm not sure. The last I heard…I'm not sure if he's available or what his condition is at the moment. I'm waiting to hear about that.

That's a shame because he's all over Sticky Fingers.

Yeah, it's just one of those things. I'm not sure. I just haven't gotten into that thing, but I heard he was sick. [Through a representative, Taylor says he is not sick and was not invited onto the tour.]

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

They want us to believe Taylor is sick and that that's the reason he's not been invited. Just as I've said before, after having read the Jagger interview transcriptions here.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:41

I could not find any upcoming Mick Taylor concerts....

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:48

Keith is no longer the rebel he is saying the politically correct thing about Taylor in the interview. Jagger runs the show. I hate when Keith says in interviews he wants to take the stones and go as far out as possible. That's BS they are playing the same set list and vegas act the last 30 years. Its all for the magazines. Himself and the band have not improved their performances or tried to write good songs just going through the motions.

play the guitar boy

peace

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:50

So Keith IS spilling the beans like I thought he might...However unless Taylor is sick and he (or his representative/entourage) doesn't know about it himself (how likely is that ?!) I'm wondering if that's not something he was led to believe when he asked Mick/"Management" about Taylor for the upcoming tour. He could have at least double checked with Ronnie who was on stage with him recently!

I can see Keith blowing a fuse when he finds out, but hey what is he gonna do about it...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 19:51 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:51

OpenG
Keith is no longer the rebel he is saying the politically correct thing about Taylor in the interview. Jagger runs the show. I hate when Keith says in interviews he wants to take the stones and go as far out as possible. That's BS they are playing the same set list and vegas act the last 30 years. Its all for the magazines. Himself and the band have not improved their performances or tried to write good songs just going through the motions.

play the guitar boy

peace

Couldn't agree more. He's been saying a variation of this for 20 years. If it meant anything they would get back in the studio with some exicitng new material and cut it. If "as far as possible" instead means more stadium nostalgia tours, he has a different definition of "far as possible" than many of us.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:00

Well however much I hate how Keith showed once again he is just full of shit, he is. Yet, I also don't believe he is just going through the motions. I was very cynical about how the Stones would sound for the 50th tour, he really astounded me and played way beyond expectations with those classic flashes of brilliance. But this is so characteristic of Keith's bullshit bravado. He's always been an entitled British nobel.

Date: April 9, 2015 20:03

whitem8
Well however much I hate how Keith showed once again he is just full of shit, he is. Yet, I also don't believe he is just going through the motions. I was very cynical about how the Stones would sound for the 50th tour, he really astounded me and played way beyond expectations with those classic flashes of brilliance. But this is so characteristic of Keith's bullshit bravado. He's always been an entitled British nobel.

Who's full of shit - the one who told Keith or Keith?

Date: April 9, 2015 20:05

DandelionPowderman
whitem8

He could have send a fax to Taylor, at least.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:06

OpenG

play the guitar boy

peace

Keith will always be the man!!!! Always be the rebel!!!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:14

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
whitem8

Or asked Ronnie if he looked sick when he was on stage with him earlier this month...assuming Keith knows about that show.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 9, 2015 20:15

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
whitem8

Both would need to have one to make that work, right?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:43

lem motlow

1.mr taylor is ill

i hate to qoute my own post but there you have it-2 days later and we have a thread with keith richards picking #1 on the list.

again, let me try to talk some of the JDS sufferers off the ledge-

since the beginning of the 1981 tour the stones have played 656 shows in the united states,not including the 50 and counting tour.
these shows grossed over 2.2 BILLION U.S. DOLLARS. mick jagger is pretty much universally considered the best frontman in the history of rock and roll.the only other people named in the same sentence at this point are elvis and james brown who have long since passed-

yet somehow...you think a guitar player who struggles to sell 200 tickets to a club show was let go because he "was getting too much applause" so this same jagger-the one who has hired eddie van halen and angus young to open shows-and has been onstage with eric clapton,jeff beck and santana was..what? intimidated?...there is hope for the JDS afflicted but you have to recognize the problem first.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home