Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:52

...Mick is in charge of this tour...no doubt about it...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:52

kleermaker
palerider22
Just listened to Marc Maron's podcast with Keith...he's in Connecticut and just before he got on the phone he said he was re -learning Moonlight Mile...

[www.wtfpod.com]...

O well, the Japanese thing, of course. Takes lots of rehearsals.

But did he say anything about his old buddy?

Don't underestimate Japanese harmony, Kleer. Just to avoid any musical confusion:

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 6, 2015 18:10

kleermaker
palerider22
Just listened to Marc Maron's podcast with Keith...he's in Connecticut and just before he got on the phone he said he was re -learning Moonlight Mile...

[www.wtfpod.com]...

O well, the Japanese thing, of course. Takes lots of rehearsals.

But did he say anything about his old buddy?

Hard for me to get through a Marc Maron podcast, he's just irritating (Dude dude, that's awesome maaan eye rolling smiley). The only things even partially interesting about interview and not stock generic well known stuff were:

1."maybe we'll try to play the whole damn thing" of course referring to SF
2. He doesn't miss Bill Wyman musically, too happy with Darryl.

He seemed so starstruck and artificially enthusiastic and even stupidly ended the conversation prematurely...I mean c'mon, you've got KR live and on the record, ask some interesting questions and at least try to draw the discussion out a bit. Guess I was just expecting more, especially a question or two about Taylor.

peace

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 6, 2015 18:19

palerider22
No, nothing...he was asked if he missed Bill which was followed by 5 seconds of silence...then a comment on how great it was to play with Daryll

Okay, the stalinist approach.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 18:21

Too much water under the bridge between Keith & Bill for either of them to admit that they miss playing with each other.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 18:21

Yeah...it was lame...I thought he was going to ask about MT after Bill but he checked out on that. Someone had a word with him because he asked about both Bill AND MT in the Jagger phone call..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 6, 2015 19:43

It's like the damn mafia...

Date: April 7, 2015 13:00

Well he plays like the mafia here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 13:05 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: April 7, 2015 13:20

duke richardson

Keith has often spoken about the Stones being like a gang... Mafia works just as well... Maybe Taylor wasn't being a good road member... Have heard stories that he was often isolated because he overstepped the lines of his touring contract too often and did not present a "happy face" when in public. Lisa and others have always represented the "organization" well in this regard.
Karl Denson obviously understood the deal and he has been a very good addition(rip Bobby).

Just my opinion but on licks the Stones did a mini- set occasionally from an album and Ronnie played so well, often better than studio original, that it does not matter to me. Still the Stones, still the songs I want to hear.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 7, 2015 13:42

indystonesfan
duke richardson

Keith has often spoken about the Stones being like a gang... Mafia works just as well... Maybe Taylor wasn't being a good road member... Have heard stories that he was often isolated because he overstepped the lines of his touring contract too often and did not present a "happy face" when in public. Lisa and others have always represented the "organization" well in this regard.
Karl Denson obviously understood the deal and he has been a very good addition(rip Bobby).

Just my opinion but on licks the Stones did a mini- set occasionally from an album and Ronnie played so well, often better than studio original, that it does not matter to me. Still the Stones, still the songs I want to hear.

Hard to imagine the Stones as a forced-by-contract "happy-go-lucky-all-smiling-faces" boygroup, but ok...

About a complete Sticky Fingers performance - hearing is believing, no matter what they say, so far I tend to expect nothing more than a mini-set of 3 or 4 songs maximum for the tour. It's a stadium tour, btw. ...

Date: April 7, 2015 13:54

LuxuryStones

Hey that was a fun tune

Thanks for posting that, LuxuryStones.

Taylor sounds a bit like John Scofield with Medeski Martin and Wood on that..

Date: April 7, 2015 14:06

duke richardson
LuxuryStones

Hey that was a fun tune

Thanks for posting that, LuxuryStones.

Taylor sounds a bit like John Scofield with Medeski Martin and Wood on that..

Regarding Scofield; Taylor plays a bit with a swing feel here.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 7, 2015 14:43

Thanks Luxury for that "Tusks" clip. Never heard that.

Sounded great. It would be great if Taylor would form a group doing that sort of stuff. Just let it go and play his heart out - more adventurous and improvisational, the better - I could easily imagine myself listening him on International Pori Jazz Festival, me sitting on the grass in a fine company, drinking wine...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 14:45 by Doxa.

Date: April 7, 2015 14:55

Doxa

Sounded great. It would be great if Taylor would form a group doing that sort of stuff. Just let it go and play his heart out - more adventurous and improvisational, the better - I could easily imagine myself listening him on International Pori Jazz Festival, me sitting on the grass in a fine company, drinking wine...

- Doxa

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope he still has the inspiration and energy to establish that.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 15:06

Re the Maron podcast - he does come across as really starstruck and fanboyish which isn't usually the case. Although I imagine we'd all be the same. I guess if it were a regular interview and not a phone interview it would have been better. I'm a huge, huge fan of the podcast - I thought his recent one with Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth was brilliant.

It's a shame that the guys don't have a different attitude regarding ex members - would have loved to have seen them go out as a three guitar band with Bill on bass - I never realistically thought that would happen though. I'm just glad the Foo Fighters and Fleetwood Mac had a different attitude regarding Pat Smear and Christine McVie.

Date: April 7, 2015 15:10

LuxuryStones
Doxa

- Doxa

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope he still has the inspiration and energy to establish that.

Yeah, let's hope. He needs to be in a rather good shape both mentally and physically to play stuff like that convincingly. But then agian, if he still has some musician blood in his veins, it could be refreshing to play longer sets and having all the space he needs, after spending two years just doing a very limited and short cameo with The Rolling Stones. He hasn't done 'proper' gigs for some time now. I hope there is some non-used energy now...

- Doxa

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 7, 2015 15:40

Doxa
LuxuryStones
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, let's hope. He needs to be in a rather good shape both mentally and physically to play stuff like that convincingly. But then agian, if he still has some musician blood in his veins, it could be refreshing to play longer sets and having all the space he needs, after spending two years just doing a very limited and short cameo with The Rolling Stones. He hasn't done 'proper' gigs for some time now. I hope there is some non-used energy now...

- Doxa

It's very well played, but also a bit ... boring. I miss the structure in this kind of music. For me it's just the thesis (song structure) - antithesis (exploration of the song like Taylor did with Street F. M. in 1973 for example, i.e. going beyond the limitations of the song) - synthesis (song structure and improvisation/playing out of the 'box', thus creating an enormous wow-feeling. I think that kind of music and playing is Taylor's forte pre-eminently.

Date: April 7, 2015 16:07

kleermaker
Doxa
LuxuryStones
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

It's very well played, but also a bit ... boring. I miss the structure in this kind of music. For me it's just the thesis (song structure) - antithesis (exploration of the song like Taylor did with Street F. M. in 1973 for example, i.e. going beyond the limitations of the song) - synthesis (song structure and improvisation/playing out of the 'box', thus creating an enormous wow-feeling. I think that kind of music and playing is Taylor's forte pre-eminently.

A nice Hegelian take!thumbs up

I get your point, but I don't quite agree. True that Taylor is a master doing that "anti-thesis" part, and many Rolling Stones live performances from his golden days substantially gain from that. It was a fundamandental part of the Stones sound back then. 2012-14 they didn't give him much room to do that (even though I enjoyed very much his electric guitar stuff he did in "Satisfaction" before they took that thing out...)

But that said, I also enjoy very much just that kind of little prior structrured improvisation, almost 'jazzy' stuff he does above. It easily goes just showing skills (which can be very annoying), but with Taylor I don't generally get that feeling. He just talks so naturally via his guitar. He has lots of good tales to share, and I am all ears...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 16:11 by Doxa.

Date: April 7, 2015 16:32

but isn't it enjoyable..

the kind of fun tune he can stretch a bit and play in that jazz/blues mode he loves..

that he shows some of in his Rambler/Knocking solos..

that's where you get the 100% Mick Taylor! ( paraphrasing Keith about Jagger and his harp playing..)

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:05

The Stones have been THESE Stones for 40 bloody years.

I heard them in Adelaide and twice in Perth in 2014. THESE Stones, The Stones of 40 years, of Jagger/Richards/Wood/Watts, with stripped back brass and harmony vocalists, sounded just fine to me. GREAT IN FACT. MY first show was The Stones at the WACA in Perth back in 73. They played an hour. A GREAT HOUR. But...

THEY NOW PLAY FOR 2 hours. And they play EXTREMELY well. Unless one of the current, of 40 years, guitarists has had a finger or two amputated since they played 6 months ago, as much as I loved Taylor on Rambler, he added nothing to Satisfaction. So, celebration tour is over. The Stones are back on the road. Be grateful.

Tailor has been gone for 40 bloody years. More years than many of us have been around! He was great. Bill has been gone for 25-26 years. He was great. But they chose to leave the greatest band and the greatest gig in the world, for reasons I can respect. But THEY left.. Get over it. The Stones.... THESE STONES still cut the mustard. It's just DIFFERENT mustard. And, it has been for decades.

Date: April 7, 2015 17:16

bitusa2012

THESE STONES still cut the mustard. It's just DIFFERENT mustard. And, it has been for decades.

I've been eating that same mustard for 25 years now, and, let's say, I am a bit bored with its taste by now.

The Taylor component offered some different spice, but unfortunately they weren't willing to share it more with us. Probably it would have tested too hot for many folks. And now we are totally back in the same...

But the Stones continue their victory lap/last tour ever - like they've been doing for the last 25 years. Still possible to 'taste' it...

- Doxa

Date: April 7, 2015 17:16

and Brian and Stu and Nicky and Bobby, and Billy are just gone..and Jimmy..

but not forgotten..

Date: April 7, 2015 17:18

kleermaker
Doxa
LuxuryStones
Doxa

- Doxa

- Doxa

Once you hear the repetitive progression (D7 / FMaj7 and BßMaj7/ Amin7 and A7-extended as a turnaround), which is indeed rather basic and very structured, than it's fun and not boring (imo) to listen to Taylor's tasty tone, articulation, phrasing, the main theme and improvisation. He's following the progression very well. There are no limitations in music as long as you feel or hear what you're doing or listening to, like Taylor does here, imo.

This is a bit different side of Taylor's playing, different than SFM '73. He's improvising in fusion style. I love it, even wish he had made it his speciality.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 7, 2015 17:33

bitusa2012

I heard them in Adelaide and twice in Perth in 2014. THESE Stones, The Stones of 40 years, of Jagger/Richards/Wood/Watts, with stripped back brass and harmony vocalists, sounded just fine to me. GREAT IN FACT. MY first show was The Stones at the WACA in Perth back in 73. They played an hour. A GREAT HOUR. But...

THEY NOW PLAY FOR 2 hours. And they play EXTREMELY well. Unless one of the current, of 40 years, guitarists has had a finger or two amputated since they played 6 months ago, as much as I loved Taylor on Rambler, he added nothing to Satisfaction. So, celebration tour is over. The Stones are back on the road. Be grateful.

Tailor has been gone for 40 bloody years. More years than many of us have been around! He was great. Bill has been gone for 25-26 years. He was great. But they chose to leave the greatest band and the greatest gig in the world, for reasons I can respect. But THEY left.. Get over it. The Stones.... THESE STONES still cut the mustard. It's just DIFFERENT mustard. And, it has been for decades.

Taylor period: 5 studio albums in 5 years. Three of them (LIB, SF, EOMS) essential according to the common sense.

Period without MT: 8 Studio albums in 41 years, one essential album (SG) according to the common sense (I think BB is essential, too ...).

Thus more defining what Stones music consists of is without any doubt the Taylor period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 17:34 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:12

Everyday twice a day I go immediately to the News section on IORR in hopes I will see Mick Taylor to play on Sticky Fingers section of the show. it still may happen. I am not giving up hope yet.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:31

RobertJohnson
bitusa2012

Taylor period: 5 studio albums in 5 years. Three of them (LIB, SF, EOMS) essential according to the common sense.

Period without MT: 8 Studio albums in 41 years, one essential album (SG) according to the common sense (I think BB is essential, too ...).

Thus more defining what Stones music consists of is without any doubt the Taylor period.

Essential Albums for me are:

The Rolling Stones
12x5
The Rolling stones no2
The Rolling Stones Now
Out Of Our Heads
December's Children
Aftermath
Got Live If You Want It
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed MT was partly involved
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Sticky Fingers
Exile
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Black and Blue
Steel Wheels

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:32

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:32

bitusa2012

You should get over that we won't get over it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:39

On my mind right now.
Mick has been quoted in many interviews as saying a big factor in leaving the Stones was its drug culture and fears on his own health.
So he quits and walks into another band...with exactly the same problem and without the same infrastructure to provide support.
He must have known....has he given an explanation?

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 18:59

PhillyFAN
Everyday twice a day I go immediately to the News section on IORR in hopes I will see Mick Taylor to play on Sticky Fingers section of the show. it still may happen. I am not giving up hope yet.

Me too ...cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home