Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 5, 2015 18:16

Naturalust

I'm guessing he is just depressed from having recently gotten sober, having a tough time dealing with all the feelings he's suppressed all those years and just wishing he could feel better. I imagine that shit is harder than anything he has ever done before.

peace

Could very well be the case Naturalist. But how strongly would playing with the RS on a SF-tour ease the pain? I guess very strongly.

Well, time for me to go in Taylor/Stones rehab myself. I'm getting more and more depressed. Time to listen to the glorious, ever exciting music from MT's era, musing about the Stones concert with Taylor I attended in Rotterdam 1973, one of the biggest musical sensations of my life (boy, was the show in The Hague, 1976, a letdown!).

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: April 5, 2015 18:16

The issue seems to be more about Jagger's EGO than Taylor's health, ability, or attitude.

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: April 5, 2015 18:46

Naturalust
s083874
Believe it or not I saw the Stones at the Long Beach Arena in '72 and the Forum in '72. They played a smaller club in Hollywood in '72 but i couldn't make it. I also saw Led Zepplin at the Long Beach arena in '72. That concert showed up on their 'How the West was Won' live album released a few years ago.
The Stones '73 show at the forum was a last minute thing. I remember MJ's hair cut short. I was mortified at the '75 show at the Stones forum show. And no I didn't go to church.

Wow. Must have been a cool time to see both of those bands. After seeing both in '72, who put on the best show in your opinion? I am a fan of both bands and it seems they were both at their musical zenith then.

peace
I always felt Zep's studio albums didn't translate well to their live performances. But they were on when I saw them in Long Beach. And the Stones were still early in the '72 tour..maybe their fourth show? I don't really like to compare bands and who is better. As a Stones fan I would have to say, between the two, the Stones performance was better because they were just hot during that era. But I saw Traffic the same year at the Santa Monica Civic and they were on. I saw the Who in 1973 at the Forum. I expected a Live at Leeds performance. But it didn't turn out that well. Keith Moon seemed to be out of sync and Townsend feeds off of Moon. And when they did a mid set of Quadrophenia it bombed. Didn't help either that Montose opened up for them. They smoked the The Who that night. All bands have bad nights. One of the best concerts I ever witnessed was UFO during their Lights Out Tour. Till this day it ranks as one of the best shows I have ever seen. Just as the Stones put out that wall of sound during their European 73 tour Michael Schenker and UFO did the same thing. I remember when MT quit the Stones. Michael Schenker tried out for his replacement. I didn't know who he was at the time but it was obvious, as I saw later, he was a lead guitarist and the Stones didn't need someone like that. It was a couple years later when I saw him with UFO. He wouldn't have lasted one week with the Stones. Keith would have kicked him out. That and he was only 18 and the Stones were hitting their 30s.
It was a different time. And you can't go back. All you have is memories(depending on the number brain cells you have destroyed) and the albums.
And tickets were $12. Out front a scalper would sell you a ticket for $7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-05 18:56 by s083874.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 5, 2015 19:09

kleermaker
Naturalust

I'm guessing he is just depressed from having recently gotten sober, having a tough time dealing with all the feelings he's suppressed all those years and just wishing he could feel better. I imagine that shit is harder than anything he has ever done before.

peace

Could very well be the case Naturalist. But how strongly would playing with the RS on a SF-tour ease the pain? I guess very strongly.

Well, time for me to go in Taylor/Stones rehab myself. I'm getting more and more depressed. Time to listen to the glorious, ever exciting music from MT's era, musing about the Stones concert with Taylor I attended in Rotterdam 1973, one of the biggest musical sensations of my life (boy, was the show in The Hague, 1976, a letdown!).

I'm guessing a RS SF-Tour would indeed be good for Taylor, but in the end (after a lot of happy fans, mind you) he would still be forced to deal with whatever issues he has going on.

And I understand your feelings about "Taylor/Stones rehab". I too feel down about the possibilities that could have been. It's hard to make sense of but although I should be more excited about this round of shows, the more I think about them, the less excited I get. But I love the SF music and am hoping they will do it justice.

Thanks for the concert stories s083874, I imagine that Traffic show was sweet! One of my favorite bands from that era. Don't know much about UFO but I'll have to do some aural research.

peace

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 5, 2015 19:46

s083874
Naturalust
s083874
Believe it or not I saw the Stones at the Long Beach Arena in '72 and the Forum in '72. They played a smaller club in Hollywood in '72 but i couldn't make it. I also saw Led Zepplin at the Long Beach arena in '72. That concert showed up on their 'How the West was Won' live album released a few years ago.
The Stones '73 show at the forum was a last minute thing. I remember MJ's hair cut short. I was mortified at the '75 show at the Stones forum show. And no I didn't go to church.

Wow. Must have been a cool time to see both of those bands. After seeing both in '72, who put on the best show in your opinion? I am a fan of both bands and it seems they were both at their musical zenith then.

peace
I always felt Zep's studio albums didn't translate well to their live performances. But they were on when I saw them in Long Beach. And the Stones were still early in the '72 tour..maybe their fourth show? I don't really like to compare bands and who is better. As a Stones fan I would have to say, between the two, the Stones performance was better because they were just hot during that era. But I saw Traffic the same year at the Santa Monica Civic and they were on. I saw the Who in 1973 at the Forum. I expected a Live at Leeds performance. But it didn't turn out that well. Keith Moon seemed to be out of sync and Townsend feeds off of Moon. And when they did a mid set of Quadrophenia it bombed. Didn't help either that Montose opened up for them. They smoked the The Who that night. All bands have bad nights. One of the best concerts I ever witnessed was UFO during their Lights Out Tour. Till this day it ranks as one of the best shows I have ever seen. Just as the Stones put out that wall of sound during their European 73 tour Michael Schenker and UFO did the same thing. I remember when MT quit the Stones. Michael Schenker tried out for his replacement. I didn't know who he was at the time but it was obvious, as I saw later, he was a lead guitarist and the Stones didn't need someone like that. It was a couple years later when I saw him with UFO. He wouldn't have lasted one week with the Stones. Keith would have kicked him out. That and he was only 18 and the Stones were hitting their 30s.

"It was a different time. And you can't go back. All you have is memories(depending on the number brain cells you have destroyed) and the albums.
And tickets were $12. Out front a scalper would sell you a ticket for $7."

Wow. That put things in a realistic perspective for me. Guess I knew that all along but remained foolishly hopeful. Not anymore.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 5, 2015 20:11

kleermaker
Naturalust

peace

Yes Kleer.. The dream of Taylor and Keith splitting the solo in SFD both on opposite sides of the stage. Taylor playing rhythm on Happy so that it actually sounds like a song. Hearing the riff correctly on Bitch and concise slide for ADTL, those are the moments that seemed within grasp in 2015. This BS about rehab troubles, how can anyone buy that from this crew? BTW thanks once again for the UTUBES, the Ya Ya's in proper order is a favorite.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 5, 2015 21:04

kleermaker

Maybe he just doesn't feel like playing? He doesn't care so much about 'capitalizing', as he has shown in the past, hasn't he? But I would like him to do a Sticky Fingers tour with a good band behind him. Would be much better than another boring Rolling Stones circus act.

You're right there Kleer,
with a decent pension, a good mental and physical health, a competent manager/spokesman and a couple of great musicians eager to back him up, what else matters. I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

Re: Ojoy - Sticky Fingers 'Why Mick Taylor Has To Stay"
Posted by: Dunny ()
Date: April 5, 2015 21:30

No Taylor Stones over, will not, for the first time ever go to the 2015 concerts. Will get in touch with MT and find our why he is not on the firm.

Dunny.

Dunny

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 5, 2015 22:37

Taylor quit the band 40 years ago. Deal with it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2015 22:38

Dunny
No Taylor Stones over, will not, for the first time ever go to the 2015 concerts. Will get in touch with MT and find our why he is not on the firm.

Dunny.

I think a lot of us (though perhaps not a majority) feel this way. There is simply no compelling reason to see 60% of the band that made Sticky Fingers "celebrating" that album without one (actually two) of the band members who made it such a vital piece of work. I am not an "insider" and I do not claim to know why Taylor is being excluded, all I know is that it's a huge missed opportunity to do something musically meaningful and adventurous at this late stage of the band's career, and that it confirms suspicions that Jagger & Co. would rather play it safe and deliver a predictable product (with a precictable result) than chart any interesting territory musically. But I do find the notion, expressed here by some, that Taylor was a limited feature for the 50th anniversary, and now we should all "move on" rather pathetic. Move on to what, exactly? To the exact same thing they were doing before they altered the formula (however slightly) by having this former band member back in the fold, and giving the group a little bit of edge and unpredictability.

The Rolling Stones are a brand name now. I have already consumed plenty of this product. More is not necessarily better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-05 22:40 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 5, 2015 23:21

Woz

Why take that attitude, when it's highly doubtful that anyone in the Stones (besides Jagger, that is) feels that way?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 6, 2015 00:38

Mel Belli
Woz

Why take that attitude, when it's highly doubtful that anyone in the Stones (besides Jagger, that is) feels that way?

Because every one else in the bands motives and those ascribed to them by posters here are really not known. It'a an exercise in futiliy, but what's known and obvious is that MT quit.....and the Stones remained, and cpontinue to do so.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-06 00:39 by Woz.

Date: April 6, 2015 02:35

Woz
Mel Belli
Woz

Because every one else in the bands motives and those ascribed to them by posters here are really not known. It'a an exercise in futiliy, but what's known and obvious is that MT quit.....and the Stones remained, and cpontinue to do so.....

Obviously because he came back for an entire tour, really added something special to a band who are still playing lots of songs that were popularized during his tenure, he apparently didn't quit this time around, and he would have welcomed some participation in this tour. Besides he plays guitar so much better than the other two Stones guitarists (in 2015) and some folks believe that his presence is needed to help fill in (with guitar) the many spaces that Keith used to play on but tends to leave wide open more recently.

I personally can't think of another thing they could still do to make this tour fulfilling, musically exciting and draw in the legions of fans from the golden era than invite him back. In fact the more I think about it, the more it makes sense, regardless of whether he quit the band or how much they have done since then. You may think this is nostalgic but nostalgia and The Rolling Stones are synonymous in 2015.

peace

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 03:49

Naturalust
Woz
Mel Belli
Woz

Obviously because he came back for an entire tour, really added something special to a band who are still playing lots of songs that were popularized during his tenure, he apparently didn't quit this time around, and he would have welcomed some participation in this tour. Besides he plays guitar so much better than the other two Stones guitarists (in 2015) and some folks believe that his presence is needed to help fill in (with guitar) the many spaces that Keith used to play on but tends to leave wide open more recently.

I personally can't think of another thing they could still do to make this tour fulfilling, musically exciting and draw in the legions of fans from the golden era than invite him back. In fact the more I think about it, the more it makes sense, regardless of whether he quit the band or how much they have done since then. You may think this is nostalgic but nostalgia and The Rolling Stones are synonymous in 2015.

peace

Leaving the band almost 40(!) years ago is such old news everyone should get over it. I can't believe it could still be an issue. It shouldn't be...

Date: April 6, 2015 04:18

palerider22 it should be obvious by now that the issue isn't him leaving the band 40 years ago. It's about what he brought back to the band after 40 years absence and the contributions he could be making on the Zip Code tour. eye rolling smiley

peace

Date: April 6, 2015 05:09

I agree...There's too much lingering self-importance and vanity in the Stones camp. We all start off our endeavors wanting to make a lot of money and be well regarded but a certain time we realize that the people who supported us along the way are equally important. There are a lot of long-time fans that have supported the band for decades. The Stones should have tried harder to make MT part of the show. Hopefully they'll rethink or overrule an apparent 'business' decision for this tour...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 6, 2015 05:13

Hey all who care about the Stones-

we generally concede that Mick Jagger is running things and has decided playing it safe is best. Where does that leave Keith Richards? It's not like him to go with a playing it safe attitude. Why hasn't he done right by Mick Taylor? Especially regarding Sticky Fingers. Hey Keith do you have a say in this?

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: April 6, 2015 06:09

71Tele
I think a lot of us (though perhaps not a majority) feel this way. There is simply no compelling reason to see 60% of the band that made Sticky Fingers "celebrating" that album without one (actually two) of the band members who made it such a vital piece of work.

60% being more than half. Is that good enough? It crosses a gray area of fraud. Then again, the Stones have been pretending to be the 'Greatest RnR band in the world' established during their golden '69-'73 live performance era.

They've gotten away with it for over 40 years. Why stop pretending now?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2015 06:51

muffie
71Tele
I think a lot of us (though perhaps not a majority) feel this way. There is simply no compelling reason to see 60% of the band that made Sticky Fingers "celebrating" that album without one (actually two) of the band members who made it such a vital piece of work.

60% being more than half. Is that good enough? It crosses a gray area of fraud. Then again, the Stones have been pretending to be the 'Greatest RnR band in the world' established during their golden '69-'73 live performance era.

They've gotten away with it for over 40 years. Why stop pretending now?

It's not good enough for me, when 80%, or even 100% is possible. If others are satisfied with 60%, good for them.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 6, 2015 07:25

I agree. Taylor has proved that he'll take stage as a back-up role rhythm player on some tunes. Put em up there for the whole set! Sticky Fingers should be a real banger!! There were at least 3 guitars on most songs on that record anyway.

Date: April 6, 2015 09:31

jhnpaolin1
I THINK TAYLOR/RICHARDS WAS THE PERFECT COMBO. I JUST NEVER WARMED UP TO RON WOOD. I LIKE HIM BETTER WITH ROD STEWART. KEITH IS PULLING DOUBLE DUTY NOW. ROOD JUST FILLS THE GAPS

Ronnie is pulling double duty now. What were you thinking of?

Date: April 6, 2015 11:57

deleted.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 6, 2015 12:17

palerider22
I agree...There's too much lingering self-importance and vanity in the Stones camp. We all start off our endeavors wanting to make a lot of money and be well regarded but a certain time we realize that the people who supported us along the way are equally important. There are a lot of long-time fans that have supported the band for decades. The Stones should have tried harder to make MT part of the show. Hopefully they'll rethink or overrule an apparent 'business' decision for this tour...

I don't even know if it's really about "vanity" since these guys have really seen it all. I just think they're really old now (easy to forget when you see them on stage, their fault!) and rely on other people more than they used to. It's just easier that way and who can really blame them. In the same way that there most likely wouldn't be a tour without Chuck, there probably wouldn't be a tour without their "Director of Business Affairs"...

It's not about the "music" as they apparently realized Taylor could both spice up things with his solos in 2012/2014 but also as a "background" player like he did on SA or "Streets of Love". Even with the little he played on SOL he found some nice tasteful fills, compare that to Ronnie's "pedestrian" playing, both the rythm and "solo".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 6, 2015 12:31

correct me if i'm wrong, but i only heard exactly one nice tasteful fill by Taylor (at 1:34) nothing else.

Date: April 6, 2015 12:43

Maybe he wasn't allowed to play a guitar solo on this tune.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 6, 2015 12:48

technically speaking, this song doesn't have a solo. what Ronnie does is like a bridge without vocals.
my point is that there's only one second of Taylor being audible. for me, Keith stands out on this rendition

Date: April 6, 2015 13:09

It's a one second 3 guitar onslaught then.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-06 13:10 by LuxuryStones.

Date: April 6, 2015 17:28

Just listened to Marc Maron's podcast with Keith...he's in Connecticut and just before he got on the phone he said he was re -learning Moonlight Mile...

[www.wtfpod.com]...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:34

palerider22
Just listened to Marc Maron's podcast with Keith...he's in Connecticut and just before he got on the phone he said he was re -learning Moonlight Mile...

[www.wtfpod.com]...

O well, the Japanese thing, of course. Takes lots of rehearsals.

But did he say anything about his old buddy?

Date: April 6, 2015 17:40

No, nothing...he was asked if he missed Bill which was followed by 5 seconds of silence...then a comment on how great it was to play with Daryll

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home