Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2015 18:59

DoomandGloom
71Tele
I am quitting in protest. Not that anyone should care what I think, but this band has really disappointed me, and I need to focus my energy on other things. The Replacements are touring this spring. Enjoy the tour everyone.
Well at least someone stands for something around here. I will follow suit which will make most everyone happy...

you fellers ought not quit..

you two make the board a lot more interesting..

come on, it ain't that bad..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:01

PhillyFAN
Naturalust
71Tele

Really? What were you "fired" for? I believe I have two offenses on my record, though I was innocent of the first.

Once posted an inappropriate interview with Keith. Guilty as charged...sounded to me like Keith was just drinking a bit. Got it off an internet site but I guess I should have known he could hold his alcohol a bit better....or that I couldn't. smoking smiley

Beginning to think the whole SF rumors were just about the re-release and they were never planning to actually play the whole record. But if the Zip Code tour kind of relates to the zipper on the record, who knows. I do know that after listening to the re-released record I will be thinking about MT as will lots of other folks and the thought of Ronnie playing his parts with Taylor still around, willing and able, but uninvited is disappointing.

peace

Disappointing? For me that is a understatement.

It's a damned shame. But, lets think for moment,if Mick Taylor was on the tour with them I firmly believe his playing would take the spotlight. There really is no new material and he would breath new life into those old warhorses. Everyone would be talking about his playing. I really do believe that is the reason he was not invited. Can't honestly think of any other reason they would not want their music to be stellar again.

I agree. It's not about what's best for the music, it's about what's best for Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie who have a 40 year legacy without Taylor to protect and exploit. Taylor kicking ass this tour would "sort of trash" 4 decades of Rolling Stones efforts....doomed because he is too good, how sad is that?

In a way I kind of blame Ronnie, if he would have been a better guitar player with the Stones we probably wouldn't be having this discussion. If anyone can be accused of getting the job because of his non-offensive personality it's him... there are plenty of guitarists who could make the music a lot more exciting.

And Tele, we obviously do care what you think, I mean who am I going to spar about Chuck with if you leave? Still people here wanting to talk about the golden years, Taylor and the best music this band created. Don't let the Taylor-less tour beat you. We both know the Stones haven't been the same in a long time, regardless of the people who think the post 83 Stones are the ticket. We need unabashed clarity on this board to balance out the people who have drunk that kool-aide, man. I may not always agree with you but I do enjoy and appreciate your contributions here.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 19:05 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:01

PhillyFAN
Dreamer
Naturalust
71Tele

Really? What were you "fired" for? I believe I have two offenses on my record, though I was innocent of the first.

Once posted an inappropriate interview with Keith. Guilty as charged...sounded to me like Keith was just drinking a bit. Got it off an internet site but I guess I should have known he could hold his alcohol a bit better....or that I couldn't. smoking smiley

Beginning to think the whole SF rumors were just about the re-release and they were never planning to actually play the whole record. But if the Zip Code tour kind of relates to the zipper on the record, who knows. I do know that after listening to the re-released record I will be thinking about MT as will lots of other folks and the thought of Ronnie playing his parts with Taylor still around, willing and able, but uninvited is disappointing.

peace

I don't know how willing MT actually was or is. It's presented here by Taylorites that the RS were and/or are not willing but geez he got back because they were! To me since MJ brought him back it always looked like the RS were spreading more enthusiasm about MT than MT was spreading about the RS... I'm really starting to dislike the whole atmoshere around it; it's not cheerful and not constructive and so not willing to see anything positive. All those Taylorites have been nagging constantly about just one or two songs or the wrong songs or just one tour or just two tours or why not this tour sh*t. And the shows were sh*t except what MT did. Bogus!

And it's such an uberhyped thing on IORR. Around 700 posts in this thread and how many posters? And how many posters posted more then 5 times? How many more then 10? It really is a very small audience in more than one aspect...

Actually there have been over 23,000 views on this thread. Many people are lurking and not posting for fear of being ridiculed for wanting the music to be even better.

Please ask bv how it works: these aren't unique visitors but mainly the regular posters in the thread who view each day for any news on the subject and when they post themselves they read (and view) again. So 23.000 is easily reached without reaching more then a couple of hundred or maybe 1000 original viewers.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:07

RobertJohnson
A comfortable concept to earn much money without generating something new.

Jagger might object that bringing back a guy who was playing with them 42 years is not intrinsically "new"... In fact it'd be a "return to a recipe from the past" trick Jagger has always avoided for the band.

In short : Jagger would prefer to play "Doom And Gloom" with Ronnie rather than ADTL with Taylor. Feels too much like a "return to 72/73" to him.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:07

duke richardson
DoomandGloom
71Tele
I am quitting in protest. Not that anyone should care what I think, but this band has really disappointed me, and I need to focus my energy on other things. The Replacements are touring this spring. Enjoy the tour everyone.
Well at least someone stands for something around here. I will follow suit which will make most everyone happy...

I am dangerously close to being banned, so a self imposed break is in order, plus I don't want to squelch others good times as Indy has me in tatters..... Tele has been a great poster, pardon me for getting on his bandwagon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 19:11 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:10

IORR isn't representative of the demographic that might pay to see a Stones show in different circumstances.

Before I moved back to London earlier this year I used to go to a blues jam in DC. One night, a friend of mine and I got up and played You Gotta Move - bit of a trainwreck because everyone on stage was playing a slightly different arrangement, but we got it together by the end and it went down really well. Later that night I was chatting to some of the guys in the house band, as well as a couple of regulars who didn't play. They all knew and loved Taylor. It's not about how many people post about MT here or how many read guitar magazines on a regular basis or even 60s nostalgia. People have ears, and everyone understands that Taylor and the Stones make one another play better now, just as they did back in the day. But I'm done posting on this topic.

Date: March 31, 2015 19:15

P.S. to Tele and D&G, don't go. I've always enjoyed talking to you both and I'm not the only one. You make this forum a much better place.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:17

First, I appreciate the sentiments, and it's not my intent to make this about me...

But for this Rolling Stones fan (since 1972) it's simple: 3/5 of the band I love just isn't enough. To disinvite Mick Taylor (or "fire" him, or fail to invite him), while simultaneously celebrating perhaps their most successful Taylor-era album is an extra cruelty. I do not pretend to know why they have done this, nor do I pretend it is not their right to play with or not play with anyone they choose. I just find it incredibly cynical to celebrate this album, and at the same time spit in the face of one of the band members who made it great, and the serious longtime fans for which the music matters most. If this band - or the member(s) who make the key decisions - had any heart, they would realize the potential - not just for nostalgia - but for musical greatness - that could come from putting the best possible version of the Rolling Stones onstage. I also happen to think the way they treated Bill Wyman when he came back for a token two songs came from the same hard-hearted and cynical place that this decision to exclude Taylor came from.

I have supported this band with thousands of my dollars, my time, and my energy, and this is too much of a slap in the face to me, and likely many thousands like me. The only power I have to demonstrate my feelings is to stop the flow of dollars, energy, and time, and direct them to things that give me more pleasure. I know, it won't matter to them. The stadiums will still be full of people cheering a legend. And I don't begrudge anyone who finds the pleasure in this that I no longer can.

I have really enjoyed my time here: The discussions, even the debates with worthy and intelligent opponents. I have nothing but fond feelings. As to the Rolling Stones: That is an artist I now think of in the past tense. As John Lennon said after the breakup of The Beatles; "It's just a rock group...you have all the old records if you want to reminisce." Indeed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 19:22 by 71Tele.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:22

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
DoomandGloom
71Tele

I am dangerously close to being banned, so a self imposed break is in order, plus I don't want to squelch others good times as Indy has me in tatters..... Tele has been a great poster, pardon me for getting on his bandwagon.

I am relatively new to this board but following the Stones since I first saw them in Philly in 1969 and 1972 with Taylor. I enjoy reading the posts from you guys. You have great insight and Doom you are a professional musician that has worked with the Stones! Your insight and experience are invaluable (at least to some of us). I know what good music the Stones can make. I know that Taylor always made what was good great. Anyone that has followed this band and knows music would realize that and why we tend to be fanatical about making the music better. I think they both need each other.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:44

I rarely post these days, but I visit several times each day to stay up. As a Stones fan, I'm glad they're releasing another deluxe edition even though it isn't what many fans would wish. I'm also glad they're touring even though I also wish Mr. Taylor would be there and more of an equal in the line-up. As a longtime IORR contributor (at least 18 years, maybe more), I will miss Tele and DoomandGloom something awful and hope they return soon. Their posts were always something I looked forward to reading. All the best to both of them. Don't be a stranger if you can't be lucky in love.

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 19:52

Taylor brought so much extra to the Stones shows 2012,2013,2014. For me Midnight Rambler was the absolute highlight of the shows. No idea why they didn't invite him again for this new tour.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 31, 2015 20:00

71Tele
First, I appreciate the sentiments, and it's not my intent to make this about me...

But for this Rolling Stones fan (since 1972) it's simple: 3/5 of the band I love just isn't enough. To disinvite Mick Taylor (or "fire" him, or fail to invite him), while simultaneously celebrating perhaps their most successful Taylor-era album is an extra cruelty. I do not pretend to know why they have done this, nor do I pretend it is not their right to play with or not play with anyone they choose. I just find it incredibly cynical to celebrate this album, and at the same time spit in the face of one of the band members who made it great, and the serious longtime fans for which the music matters most. If this band - or the member(s) who make the key decisions - had any heart, they would realize the potential - not just for nostalgia - but for musical greatness - that could come from putting the best possible version of the Rolling Stones onstage. I also happen to think the way they treated Bill Wyman when he came back for a token two songs came from the same hard-hearted and cynical place that this decision to exclude Taylor came from.

I have supported this band with thousands of my dollars, my time, and my energy, and this is too much of a slap in the face to me, and likely many thousands like me. The only power I have to demonstrate my feelings is to stop the flow of dollars, energy, and time, and direct them to things that give me more pleasure. I know, it won't matter to them. The stadiums will still be full of people cheering a legend. And I don't begrudge anyone who finds the pleasure in this that I no longer can.

I have really enjoyed my time here: The discussions, even the debates with worthy and intelligent opponents. I have nothing but fond feelings. As to the Rolling Stones: That is an artist I now think of in the past tense. As John Lennon said after the breakup of The Beatles; "It's just a rock group...you have all the old records if you want to reminisce." Indeed.

Yup...exactly how a lot of us feel. I have a feeling this is going to backfire on Stones management once the initial tour hysteria wears off...that's even if they care. Starting to wonder if I care myself...Today I don't. Cutting out Taylor stinks...Have they become Mike Love/Beach Boys...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 31, 2015 20:01

71Tele
"It's just a rock group...you have all the old records if you want to reminisce." Indeed.

Agreed.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 31, 2015 20:06

Well, I may piss against the wind here. I saw 10 of their gigs since the O2 anniversary, and MT did not do anything special for me. I do like MT, have seen him many times in small clubs, but in the format they used he did not make much difference.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 31, 2015 20:33

'The Stones didn't do right like I want. Now I quit.'
Come on Tele, don't be childish.They have disapointed me a 1000 times - but I stay for the good moments.Really hope you will too.

I would have loved to see (more) Taylor. Like you and quite a few others here.
But lets be honest. People came to see THE STONES and they played surprisinly well.Taylor only played on 1/2 songs and most of the crowd in the arenas didn't notice it.It's a big, bad game . .

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: March 31, 2015 20:39

"Zip Code Tour" without Taylor is a nonsense...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:01

It will be a Warhorses tour like all the others. Maybe a Fingers segment.

Re: So no Mick Taylor this time out...?
Date: March 31, 2015 21:18

wellalright
all the experts here - not one response? is this some sort of taboo subject?

Are you blind? How many pages have we been discussing through in THIS VERY thread?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:21

to be fair he did have his own thread before it was merged.

Date: March 31, 2015 21:29

[www.keno.org] - make of this what you will, I guess. Hard to see how Keno's claim here squares with Chacal's statements about MJ's lawyer. Who knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 21:30 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 31, 2015 21:30

71Tele

It would be sad to see you go, Tele. You're a good, long time poster who always have contributed to improve this board.

Obviously, I can't make you change your mind, but I hope you'll drop me an e-mail now and again.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:30

this thread is titled 'Mick Taylor Talk'..etc..

yes that's what I'd like, for him to talk, to a good journalist..

or go ahead with a book..

well I'd rather hear him play..but wouldn't you like to read a good new interview with him?

Date: March 31, 2015 21:31

Nikkei
to be fair he did have his own thread before it was merged.

OK. He's not blind, then, only extremely short-sighted...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:37

Stoneburst
[www.keno.org] - make of this what you will, I guess. Hard to see how Keno's claim here squares with Chacal's statements about MJ's lawyer. Who knows.

Keno is legit (if at times a grumpy old man).

There is something else at play. If the decision not to include him defies all logic given all the available information, then perhaps there is additional information we don't have.

So we need to can the hysteria a bit about MT's lack of inclusion, and hope it gets sorted out.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:40

The recent situation is as if Taylor was a partner in the firm (obviously not senior) and he left for "greener pastures" which in retrospect did not work out, and then was hired back to work in the mail room. It was somewhat lucrative while it lasted, I'm sure, but also somewhat embarrassing. For 45 minutes or so there was the usual Stones show, then, "And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, Midnight Rambler featuring the talents of our departed - and now returned at our discretion - Mick Taylor!!" Nice to see, but ultimately awkward and unsatisfying.

I will second the posts asking Tele, et al to reconsider the departures as i enjoy reading their thoughts. Maybe take a break but no need to announce it although I guess I understand the frustration. Never say "never".

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:50

71Tele

But it will never be2006 bad again. So that's a plus, right?

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:55

treaclefingers
Stoneburst

There is something else at play. If the decision not to include him defies all logic given all the available information, then perhaps there is additional information we don't have.

So we need to can the hysteria a bit about MT's lack of inclusion, and hope it gets sorted out.

Yeah, it doesn't change my low level of excitement about a SF tour w/o him, but I guess I'll lay off MJ til I hear differently. Keno's always had good info regarding Taylor's involvement, or lack thereof.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 31, 2015 21:56

This conversation is hardcore, very hardcore ...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 31, 2015 22:07

StonesCat
treaclefingers
Stoneburst

Yeah, it doesn't change my low level of excitement about a SF tour w/o him, but I guess I'll lay off MJ til I hear differently. Keno's always had good info regarding Taylor's involvement, or lack thereof.

Interesting but what the heck could it be that's preventing Taylor from being invited if both the Stones and Taylor are up for it? A third party? AEG? The insurance companies? Doctor Evil ?

I remember Keno sharing some pretty vital/exclusive info last year saying he couldn't say more...now what was that about, Taylor too or was it Mick ? Need to jog my memory.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 22:10

treaclefingers
Stoneburst

Yeah absolutely.
And maybe Keno will come back later with more info.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home