Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 30, 2015 20:09

Chacal
MartinB
Naturalust
Yeah of course not but he isn't making those decisions based on what's best for the music either. Decisions on whom to play with have been made years ago and probably aren't going to change. Guests are temporary additions and no matter how good any of them were I doubt Mick ever thought about keeping them on for more than a song or two. We were lucky to see Taylor on an entire tour and from one perspective it was a very great honor for MT to be invited in that capacity. But two tours in a guest capacity is both too much and not enough.

It's kind of a double edged sword for Taylor, if he doesn't shine he's out because he didn't contribute enough and if he stands out and makes the music better he's out because he's doing a better job than Ronnie and Keith and in Jaggers own words "it sort of trashes the period the band is in now."

One solution of course is to include him as a full time sideman and let the band finish out with another completely different 3 guitarist period. Many of us think that would be the most exciting musically but it could be awkward for the well established image and PR aspects. Would only the four current members be present at press events and the like? Would MT in his capacity as a stellar contributor and spotlighted lead player feel right being delegated to a sideman position like Darryl who by nature or contract are always somewhat in the shadows. You see the strangeness, spotlighted every show but relegated to a non-member lesser role when representing the band.

That bring us to another option...ask him to join as a full fledged member. And as I've said this would probably never happen because no one wants to split the pot another way, they don't need to do it to sell tickets, it might diminish Ronnie's (and even Keith's) Stones legacy and Taylor quit the band 40 years ago. I don't think Jagger has seriously considered this for a second. The Stones are too old and well established to be making these kind of moves in 2015.

Based on all that I think the most we can hope for now is a few more guest spots with Taylor in support of the Sticky Fingers Deluxe release. If it wasn't for the rumored SF themed shows I wouldn't have any hope of seeing him again this tour, as it is the candle is still burning!

peace

Agree. Plus MT is not as stellar as he was 40 years ago.

In bold is what drew Jagger's ire.

Nobody is as stellar as they were 40 years ago. Even the Stones have not found the fountain of youth (yet).

No, the candle is not burning at the moment. Although, widespread and passionate protests from the fans against Taylor's exclusion could light the candle again.

Well that quote came from thre 1995 Wenner RS interview (probably THE best interview of Jagger ever). I still remember where I was when I read it and was shocked to see him mention Taylor like that. I don't think it still applies today though because the Stones don't have the "future" they had 20 years ago...There doesn't seem to be any real ambition to put out more studio albums. A big "statement" since Jagger said he wanted to do that in the 2012 interviews...or was it just not to appear as an "oldies" act...or was it because D&G had been easy to record and pretty well received?. If anything it would have been easier to keep Taylor on board and pretend they were still on the "50th and Counting" Tour. Now they're touring as a "real" oldies act with nothing new at all to promote.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: March 31, 2015 01:15

Well, here's hoping against hope they bring him along again. It' sort of like last time when we all hoped for more than 2 songs and without him forced to play acoustic. I do have that sinking feeling, just like last time, that we have seen the last of him with the Stones.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:02

I have that same sinking feeling...but I'm not going to get angry about it...not worth it...but what a huge disappointment it would be! I agree that there is some risk of becoming the Beach Boys touring act here. Taylor would prevent that. The focus would be on their greatest years....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:06

palerider22
I have that same sinking feeling...but I'm not going to get angry about it...not worth it...but what a huge disappointment it would be! I agree that there is some risk of becoming the Beach Boys touring act here. Taylor would prevent that. The focus would be on their greatest years....

Well, respectfully, I am angry about it, because it's stupid and petty and musically cowardly. It is worth getting angry about because having Taylor along for a Sticky Fingers celebration is just about the only thing that could make it interesting. And at this stage of their career, who cares what the problems were? Maybe they haven't reached Mike Love/Beach Boys level, but pretty close...Bring out the matching Hawaiian shirts.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:42

We want more Mick Taylor please!

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:43

71Tele
palerider22

Well, respectfully, I am angry about it, because it's stupid and petty and musically cowardly. It is worth getting angry about because having Taylor along for a Sticky Fingers celebration is just about the only thing that could make it interesting. And at this stage of their career, who cares what the problems were? Maybe they haven't reached Mike Love/Beach Boys level, but pretty close...Bring out the matching Hawaiian shirts.

71Tele...I actually agree with all your post...I'm still hoping this is all a PR game. It will be a sour day for some us tomorrow if MT is completely ignored...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:46

palerider22
71Tele
palerider22

71Tele...I actually agree with all your post...I'm still hoping this is all a PR game. It will be a sour day for some us tomorrow if MT is completely ignored...
I will hold on to hope they announce tomorrow he's being fully reinstated as a member for the remaining days of the band.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:49

Did they announce Taylor as a guest when they announced the last tour? Even if he isn't part of the announcement tomorrow I think they may still sneak him in for a few shows. I won't give up hope till they play the "Sticky Fingers" show(s) without him, or I see something about his solo tour schedule this summer.

peace

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2015 02:57

Naturalust
Did they announce Taylor as a guest when they announced the last tour? Even if he isn't part of the announcement tomorrow I think they may still sneak him in for a few shows. I won't give up hope till they play the "Sticky Fingers" show(s) without him, or I see something about his solo tour schedule this summer.

peace[/quote

I think you're right about this, Naturalust. I hope so.

All this about Sticky Fingers is going to be really strange if, knowing Taylor's part in that, he isn't there ..

Date: March 31, 2015 03:06

palerider22
71Tele
palerider22

I am a big Stone's fan, since 1969. But there is not much I have not seen or heard from this band and there is nothing new to offer. I really don't care to hear Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor's fingers. His contributions made the Sticky Fingers really great IMHO. I am in no rush to travel and spend big bucks for more predictable ancient weaving. I will be You Tubing this time if they leave him out.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 31, 2015 03:23

Well we'll see..

Looks like some theater shows coming .. That in itself is encouraging ..

Date: March 31, 2015 03:59

Naturalust

peace

Good point, and I would be as hopeful as you, except it has been reported here that he was already "fired" in February.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 31, 2015 04:26

duke richardson
Well we'll see..

Looks like some theater shows coming .. That in itself is encouraging ..

I belive this will be the last Stones tour in America. Maybe some one off dates (like a four date run in Las Vegas) in future years but this time around 2015 will be it for tours. Going by the Mick photos in NY he is stressed out....... The tours are just too much work and stress to put together.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 31, 2015 07:40

71Tele

Not getting angry would mean you're indifferent about what they present to audiences in US.
So I second your sentiment, even though the masses might not be as discerning...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 31, 2015 08:59

71Tele
Naturalust

peace

Good point, and I would be as hopeful as you, except it has been reported here that he was already "fired" in February.

I believe you and I were both fired from IORR at one time and we both made it back. thumbs up An exclusive club, I like to think... Maybe he was just fired from the previous contract and they are considering a different one to account for his greater participation. Anything is still possible and you know how many reported "facts" here on IORR have proven to be only part of the story...

peace

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:22

If it makes you feel better: Why not pretend his on this time around also? There is nothing wrong with a bit of imagination. Sometimes we need that to keep our hopes up...

Date: March 31, 2015 10:53

Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust

peace

I believe you and I were both fired from IORR at one time and we both made it back. thumbs up An exclusive club, I like to think... Maybe he was just fired from the previous contract and they are considering a different one to account for his greater participation. Anything is still possible and you know how many reported "facts" here on IORR have proven to be only part of the story...

peace

Really? What were you "fired" for? I believe I have two offenses on my record, though I was innocent of the first.

Date: March 31, 2015 11:00

PhillyFAN
palerider22
71Tele
palerider22

I am a big Stone's fan, since 1969. But there is not much I have not seen or heard from this band and there is nothing new to offer. I really don't care to hear Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor's fingers. His contributions made the Sticky Fingers really great IMHO. I am in no rush to travel and spend big bucks for more predictable ancient weaving. I will be You Tubing this time if they leave him out.

Like it or not, but weaving is the antithesis of predictable.

Not much weaving these days, in other words smiling smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 11:06

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust

peace

peace

Really? What were you "fired" for? I believe I have two offenses on my record, though I was innocent of the first.

We all are...

Date: March 31, 2015 11:42

I got a warning once. "Inappropriate post"...

Date: March 31, 2015 15:41

DandelionPowderman
PhillyFAN
palerider22
71Tele
palerider22

Like it or not, but weaving is the antithesis of predictable.

Not much weaving these days, in other words smiling smiley

You're right Dandy! It is the antithesis of predictable. Never thought of it that way. Hmm...

Old timers like me do know what Taylor could do for Sticky Fingers if he were permitted to come out this probable last big tour. Provided the band did ample rehearsals. It just some so obvious to some of us that he could have a valuable contribution to the music. I would even like to see all three rotate on bass given the fact all three are good bass players and all 3 have played bass on many songs. No judgement of Darryl's playing but 5 Stones back on the same stage would be incredible. Oh well, just a dream but a nice one!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 31, 2015 15:44

Just heard at Q107.com that there will be no Mick Taylor on the coming tour. Kinda interesting that the kind of mentioned that first of all.

They might as well skip the whole Sticky Fingers concert theme if MT is not with them, IMHO.

Date: March 31, 2015 15:47

No mention of him on Q104.3, how/who said it on Q107 ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 15:48

LieB
Just heard at Q107.com that there will be no Mick Taylor on the coming tour. Kinda interesting that the kind of mentioned that first of all.

They might as well skip the whole Sticky Fingers concert theme if MT is not with them, IMHO.

There's maybe nothing to skip when it wasn't planned in the first place.

Date: March 31, 2015 15:49

A man who's name seem to be Derringer.
They just repeated the news (official announcement) about a Stones tour but didn't repeat the part about no Taylor.

Date: March 31, 2015 15:50

Yeah, the "ZIP CODE" theme makes a lot more sense...

--------------

Date: March 31, 2015 15:51

Dreamer
LieB

There's maybe nothing to skip when it wasn't planned in the first place.

Yep. I should have phrased that "now I don't care if the tour's not SF-themed."
But on second thought, maybe a SF themed setlist would be more interesting even if it's just with Ronnie.

Date: March 31, 2015 15:54

LieB
A man who's name seem to be Derringer.
They just repeated the news (official announcement) about a Stones tour but didn't repeat the part about no Taylor.

Ok I've tuned in, maybe they'll elaborate later on that comment by that guy about Taylor.

--------------

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 31, 2015 15:56

So why were rumours of a Sticky Fingers tour circulating here and on the other boards for months? Were people just getting mixed up with the album being reissued? And if this isn't a Sticky Fingers tour then what exactly is it? Please don't say 'a Rolling Stones tour' - I get that, just don't see what the point of it is if they're not at least trying to bring something new to the table (and I don't necessarily mean Mick Taylor by that).

Date: March 31, 2015 16:22

Let's rejoice, Taylor is still there in *some* capacity : [store.digitalstores.co.uk]

--------------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home