Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 26, 2015 14:40

Doxa
About that Wood/Taylor axis... (which seemingly works damn well...)

It was also news to me that Jagger contacted Taylor in 1977 and asked him to join the band if Keith will be locked away (my imagination just can't grasp what it would have been like...)

Interesting that there is also that rumour already from 1973, coming from Nicky Hopkins (!) if memory serves, that Jagger was considering replacing Keith with Ronnie... No idea if that has any truth, but who knows if Jagger really had some sort of Plan B in his mind when Keith's course on dopeville started to look tragical... Who knows if Ronnie's - the most Keith Richards-like of British guitarists - actual choice in 1975 was to get a potential substitute to Keith, just in case...

Strong speculation...grinning smiley

- Doxa

It makes complete sense. MJ strikes me as someone that would always have a 'Plan B'.

With his own song writing and collaborations with MT being very strong, I'm sure he had the confidence that if for some reason Keith wasn't around (he was perennially on top of that list of celebrities most likely to die), that he would continue the band, and Ronnie probably would have been a logical choice. Fortunately for all concerned that never materialized.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 26, 2015 14:55

treaclefingers
Doxa

It was also news to me that Jagger contacted Taylor in 1977 and asked him to join the band if Keith will be locked away (my imagination just can't grasp what it would have been like...)

Interesting that there is also that rumour already from 1973, coming from Nicky Hopkins (!) if memory serves, that Jagger was considering replacing Keith with Ronnie... No idea if that has any truth, but who knows if Jagger really had some sort of Plan B in his mind when Keith's course on dopeville started to look tragical... Who knows if Ronnie's - the most Keith Richards-like of British guitarists - actual choice in 1975 was to get a potential substitute to Keith, just in case...

- Doxa

It makes complete sense. MJ strikes me as someone that would always have a 'Plan B'.

With his own song writing and collaborations with MT being very strong, I'm sure he had the confidence that if for some reason Keith wasn't around (he was perennially on top of that list of celebrities most likely to die), that he would continue the band, and Ronnie probably would have been a logical choice. Fortunately for all concerned that never materialized.

especially Ronnie..

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 26, 2015 15:20

DoctorFreddie
DandelionPowderman
DoctorFreddie
Stoneburst
Speaking of Taylor/Wood, I was revisiting the Jimmy Reed shows the other day, hadn't seen this one before - totally brilliant:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Is this what weaving is about? Woody plays better when he is together with Taylor. And Jagger should pick up the phone and get Taylor back on the roadsmiling smiley

Somtimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. It's not a constant smiling smiley

Agree, i just got a little blown away for a while listening to that clipsmiling smiley

It's stunning - both guitars sound great and the solos compliment each other wonderfully. Also, the Albert Hall always gives you that amazing cauldron-of-sound effect - speaking of which, was this the first time either of them played there? I feel Ronnie probably has at some point but can't think when MT might have. Can someone tell me?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 26, 2015 15:54

SweetThing
Doxa

- Doxa

Indeed! Two of the most interesting things that I learned on this board in the last couple of years, if they are true, was Jagger arrived at Taylor's doorstep at some point (when Taylor was still in the band) and reportedly in tears wishing he could fire Keith. And the other thing is it was Jagger who insisted Ronnie Wood join the band after Taylor left. Keith was reportedly concerned Ronnie and himself were too similar in style.

Good you mentioned those things. I also remember being surprised when I heard about those initial and conflicting reactions by Mick and Keith in towards to Ronnie's post. Mick's eagerness sounded being in a conflict to to his supposed admiration of Taylor-like melodic player. So maybe it was not intention to actually replace Taylor one-to-one but more like strengthen the 'Keith component' in the band - since the hero himself didn't show any signs of quick recovery, quite the opposite. To think of that: Wood was a perfect candidate for that; he could write songs, he looked right, he played his Richards-role towards Stewart's Jagger in the Faces, he had a similar approach and style in guitar playing... I mean, it is not really so tough job to find flashy lead guitarists (I hope the Taylorites don't kill me nowgrinning smiley) than people to fill Keith's shoes. For the latter, back then - or even now - there probably was not much better candidate in the world than Ronnie Wood... Besides, Mick seemingly had good experiences writing with Ronnie as well ("It's Only Rock'n'Roll", "I Can Feel The Fire"). Who knows how big hopes Mick had for Ronnie...

Anyway, whatever might have been Jagger's plan, Keith and Ronnie clicked so well - musically, personally and habit-wise - that he soon would have two babies (or "Keefs"), not just one, to worry about.... Keith claims in LIFE that Mick wanted to kick Ronnie out of 1981 American Tour, but Keith rescued "his friend". And so on.

But what goes for Ronnie, his destiny turned to be some kind of "ultimate side-man" (as he is called in Rolling Stones' web site), since there is no room for two Keith Richards in the Rolling Stones. Even though they did a kind of compromise with "ancient art of weaving" how to use efficiently their similar styles, I think artistically Wood has always a bit suffered for his low-profile role in the band (but since he seemingly has no ego, that doesn't actually matter). Taylor had not that problem because his style and contribution was so different in compared to Keith's. Or to say it differently: The Stones were better using Taylor's best sides to their benefit (especially live Taylor could really play his heart out, and everyone was happy, and the band shone), but Wood is a bit under-used if we consider his potentiality. There is too much in his playing that sort of 'holding one's horses' attitude, that of "oh, I hope I don't step anyone's - Keith's, that is - shoes". If any of the speculation here has any truth, he might even have had a reason for that...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-26 15:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 26, 2015 17:05

Jagger initiated the axis between Taylor and Wood while keith was recovering from his accident and it was uncertain that Keith could return. This was clear to me then and there were some hints from Wood early on that gave that impression. Jagger is playing all the fields with his guitarists, his desire to perform as The RS sees beyond Keith. I had always thought Keith was holding this Taylor thing back but now I'm not so certain. Taylor and Wood do play great together, playing in The Stones seems to make musicians uptight these days. Maybe The Glimmers should think about that, still it's nice to see they care enough to argue about musical issues., .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-26 17:11 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 26, 2015 17:13

DoomandGloom
Jagger initiated the axis between Taylor and Wood while keith was recovering from his accident and it was uncertain that Keith could return. This was clear to me then and there were some hints from Wood early on that gave that impression. Jagger is playing all the fields with his guitarists, his desire to perform as The RS sees beyond Keith. I had always thought Keith was holding this Taylor thing back but now I'm not so certain. Taylor and Wood do play great together, playing in The Stones seems to make musicians uptight these days. Maybe The Glimmers should think about that, still it's nice to see they care enough to argue about musical issues., .

They're good buddies. It's got nothing to do with Mick.

Date: March 26, 2015 17:16

treaclefingers
Doxa

- Doxa

I wrote this earlier and got dismissed. Should have written Jagger's pov...From the Stones point of view. Keith replaced Taylor and Wood took Keith's role.

Date: March 26, 2015 17:18

Taylor played on IGMOATD before Mick and Keith became involved. Just saying...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 26, 2015 20:23

Stoneburst
DoctorFreddie
DandelionPowderman
DoctorFreddie
Stoneburst
Speaking of Taylor/Wood, I was revisiting the Jimmy Reed shows the other day, hadn't seen this one before - totally brilliant:

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Is this what weaving is about? Woody plays better when he is together with Taylor. And Jagger should pick up the phone and get Taylor back on the roadsmiling smiley

Somtimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. It's not a constant smiling smiley

Agree, i just got a little blown away for a while listening to that clipsmiling smiley

It's stunning - both guitars sound great and the solos compliment each other wonderfully. Also, the Albert Hall always gives you that amazing cauldron-of-sound effect - speaking of which, was this the first time either of them played there? I feel Ronnie probably has at some point but can't think when MT might have. Can someone tell me?

Thanks for sharing. If I'm allowed to attend only one gig, Stones or Taylor/Wood I would go to T/W. It sounds like the original Stones in some way.

Date: March 26, 2015 21:49

Thanks for sharing. If I'm allowed to attend only one gig, Stones or Taylor/Wood I would go to T/W. It sounds like the original Stones in some way. It was a great thrill. Nice that wherever they play both guitarists appear to use their #1 guitars on all dates. Woody playing that old 57??? Strat, I bet it's the same one he's played since SG's. Not much talk in general about Woods gear but he has some beautiful stuff.

Date: March 26, 2015 22:31

There is A LOT of talking about Wood's gear. Start with the Ratbag Boogie thread + the Zemaitis stuff.

Date: March 26, 2015 22:40

The Strat in the video is a '55 hardtail. He has two (the other is a '54). This one was his backup for a while and briefly in the hands of Jimmy Page's tech, I believe, with a view to a refin that never actually happened. Since Wood got it back, it's become his number one.

Date: March 26, 2015 22:47

Stoneburst
The Strat in the video is a '55 hardtail. He has two (the other is a '54). This one was his backup for a while and briefly in the hands of Jimmy Page's tech, I believe, with a view to a refin that never actually happened. Since Wood got it back, it's become his number one.
Thanks. I have a 55 refin but not a hard tail... the early ones are much thicker sounding than the later 50's ones. Nice to know I like the same stuff as Wood...

Date: March 26, 2015 23:12

DoomandGloom
Stoneburst
Thanks. I have a 55 refin but not a hard tail... the early ones are much thicker sounding than the later 50's ones. Nice to know I like the same stuff as Wood...

Would you consider sharing some photos of your guitars sometime? Think you mentioned having an old Les Paul as well - it sounds like you have some very nice stuff indeed.

Date: March 27, 2015 01:48

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom
Stoneburst

Would you consider sharing some photos of your guitars sometime? Think you mentioned having an old Les Paul as well - it sounds like you have some very nice stuff indeed.
I've had some problem figuring out the load up. "Rockman" I think did the Keith Amp for me. I will try again at ome point. Almost everything I hung onto from the 50's and 60's are refins or players guitars. I have some modern Gibsons, Fenders and counterfeits for gigs but I keep the vintage ones in rotation. We're lucky to have a busy summer ahead all my guitars will be taking a beating.

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 02:01

Thank you for posting the liver performance clips. It is clear that they compliment one another very well. I, too, would see a Taylor/woods show. Something to hope for.

If you have more clips of the these two it would be great to see them. They go along way in showing that it's not always an either/or issue with Taylor and Woods. We, as fans, can have both.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 27, 2015 04:07

indystonesfan
Thank you for posting the liver performance clips. It is clear that they compliment one another very well. I, too, would see a Taylor/woods show. Something to hope for.

If you have more clips of the these two it would be great to see them. They go along way in showing that it's not always an either/or issue with Taylor and Woods. We, as fans, can have both.

No kidding! If only 'you know who' thought the same...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:37

There are three great Rolling Stones guitarists with us (four with Mick J.). They play well together and clearly have a great deal of affection for each other... Pity that doesn't overcome whatever other issues there are having Mick T, with them...No one wins in this scenario...Sigh.

Date: March 27, 2015 09:31

71Tele
There are three great Rolling Stones guitarists with us (four with Mick J.). They play well together and clearly have a great deal of affection for each other... Pity that doesn't overcome whatever other issues there are having Mick T, with them...No one wins in this scenario...Sigh.

It's a shame that a lot of Stones fans don't think so.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 27, 2015 10:54

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-27 10:55 by dcba.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 27, 2015 11:20

Keith Richards played an incredible rhythm guitar (and solo guitars) until about 1979 when the band played Live, but after that I think he is more of a showman who shows with gestures and moods that he plays good guitar, and up to 79 had Stones fared well with almost any side-guitarist, but after-79 Ronnie Wood is an absolute necessity to preserve the sound which is The Rolling Stones ' s.

2 1 2 0

Date: March 27, 2015 13:04

Come On
Keith Richards played an incredible rhythm guitar (and solo guitars) until about 1979 when the band played Live, but after that I think he is more of a showman who shows with gestures and moods that he plays good guitar, and up to 79 had Stones fared well with almost any side-guitarist, but after-79 Ronnie Wood is an absolute necessity to preserve the sound which is The Rolling Stones ' s.

Didn't you listen to Hampton 81 the other day?

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 27, 2015 14:18

DandelionPowderman
Come On

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 27, 2015 15:42

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Sure, and found out how incredible good Bill is/were/was...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 27, 2015 15:47

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Absolutely! But in fairness, I think good ol' Keith deserves a mention, too smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 27, 2015 16:00

I agree that Keith was quite good in '81. This was the last completely pre-Vegas tour, before the post-Restoration Concordat that gave us basically the formula we still have today. They were also promoting good contemporary hit product (Tattoo You) which they haven't done in - how long? In a way, I don't consider the Stones after Bill's leaving "legitimate". Losing a founding member in 1969, and his great replacement in 1974 was bad, but breaking up the rhythm section was something they never quite recovered from musically, in my opinion, though it has certainly not harmed their appeal as a commercial touring juggernaut.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 16:01

Lynyrd Skynyrd was highly successful with 3 guitars. C'mon Stones, make it happen!!!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 27, 2015 16:02

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Absolutely! But in fairness, I think good ol' Keith deserves a mention, too smiling smiley

Particularly on Leeds '82. One of the best Keith-efforts I know. '89 onwards is a decline without any doubt, but this is also due to the MJ-induced Vegas-concept - less guitars, more Chuck and brass section ... the entire mess that quenched the original fire of the band.

Date: March 27, 2015 16:28

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Particularly on Leeds '82. One of the best Keith-efforts I know. '89 onwards is a decline without any doubt, but this is also due to the MJ-induced Vegas-concept - less guitars, more Chuck and brass section ... the entire mess that quenched the original fire of the band.

Absolutely! Except for that JJF, where Keith was in... who knows which stratosphere grinning smiley

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 27, 2015 17:44

71Tele
I agree that Keith was quite good in '81. This was the last completely pre-Vegas tour, before the post-Restoration Concordat that gave us basically the formula we still have today. They were also promoting good contemporary hit product (Tattoo You) which they haven't done in - how long? In a way, I don't consider the Stones after Bill's leaving "legitimate". Losing a founding member in 1969, and his great replacement in 1974 was bad, but breaking up the rhythm section was something they never quite recovered from musically, in my opinion, though it has certainly not harmed their appeal as a commercial touring juggernaut.

Could not have said it better myself. Steel Wheels may have been the beginning of the tour juggernaut but at least they still had Bill on bass

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home