Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: SONGS YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ON THIS TOUR.
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2005 18:54

stickydion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Come on fellows ... A concert without "Brown
> Sugar", SMU, HTW, PIB, YCAGWYW, or "Satisfaction"
> would be NOT a real Stones concert.

yeah it would. They have about 330 "real Stones" songs to choose from. Why limit half the gig to the SAME 9-10 songs EVERY night? Its like theyre taking the easy option and saying that most of their back catalogue isnt worthy of being performed live when that shouldnt be the case. Theyre the greatest rock n roll band in the world, so why not have confidence in their back catalogue (after all, they keep re-releasing the @#$%& thing..)

I've seen Dylan about 25 times and he has written as many if not more great songs than the Stones have, yet he changes about 30-40% of the show around EVERY night and many classic rotated and often dropped for a year or two at a time. Trust me, when theres THAT many great songs you dont miss some of them for a while.

Similarly, I saw Springsteen play a solo show last month in which he played not a single song off his 'Greatest hits' album, nothing from Born to run and only one song from his biggest selling album "Born in the usa". I didnt miss them. He played lots of great songs instead which worked superbly. Like Dylan, it keeps the show fresh. Some of the songs the Stones have played down the years over a thousand times are really played out and it shows.

I think an
> well- balanced model could be: 10 classics
> "warhorses" + 10 other "diamaonds". The "others"
> to be alternated night by night.

In a stadium - fine. But who is the 9-10 'classics' played at a club show aimed at?

To the pseudo-fans who only go to hear the same ten or twelve "hits" and whose attitude would be "play what we know", my answer is "know what they play"

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: June 19, 2005 20:05

They will play what they like and what's the demand for the evening. So it will be of course a lot more warhorses and some new stuff. I do not think that they will change the set that often as they will play in MORE cities than on 40 Licks which means they can keep the set for a long time as they did in 81/82 once the show was set.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: June 19, 2005 20:20

it suprises me though they don't play great songs like under my thumb anymore. what happened to that one? after 81/82 it just disappeard. i guess it was because they played it about 4 times a week for 2 years long, they must have gotten fed up with it. i still like the song though.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: June 20, 2005 00:59

Wundy, SHAME ON YOU! If they don't play " WILD HORSES" I feel cheated! I want them to skip " START ME UP" and " SATISFACTION" and " Miss YOU". THEY MUST PLAY " She Smiled Sweetly" and " That's How Strong My Love Is' FOR ALL SHOWS! I know, never gonna happen!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 20, 2005 01:05

In 1994 the Rolling Stones played one of their all time great songs - Monkey Man. It was never a hit, but it is a classic Stone's song. In 2002 they righted another wrong by playing the classic Can't You Hear Me Knocking. I just don't think you can play your classic songs enough....to stadium audiences. If you want to talk about being cheated, think about the poor bastard who pays $300 for a ticket to see the Stones for the first time and does not get to hear the songs that made the Stones the greatest rock and roll band in the world. That's being cheated. If you've seen the Stones 200+times....I understand you want to hear obscure tracks from obscure albums.......enough!!!!!! Lay off the warhorses!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 20, 2005 05:11

then dont charge the "poor bastards" $300 in the first place...so you DONT have to feel obliged to cater EXCLUSIVELY for the sort of people who will go to one show in their lifetime and who have bought one album of the band (Hot rocks/40 licks) - THOSE people didnt make the Stones what they are, but unfortunately thats the audience that makes the Stones what they have become...

I've no problem with a fair chunk of 'hits' in a stadium show as its fair enough that a sizeable proportion of the audience arent diehards but not where the same 10-12 songs take up 2/3 of the show year in year out. However, those people arent part of the equation in a theatre show so theres no need to play songs that the band are sick of and most of the audience at such a gig have heard over and over...

Posted by: marston ()
Date: June 20, 2005 05:26

No "Miss You", "Beast of Burden" for Mick and no "Before they make me run" or "Happy". Why not something like "coming Down Again" for Keith?

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 20, 2005 09:58

Instead of the "usual" openers, SMU, BS, etc., for a change, I think RIP THIS JOINT should be at least one of the openers on the new tour, it's so High Energy, maybe it should be designated for the Arena shows.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-20 10:03 by LISMM63.

Date: June 20, 2005 13:34

No Beast of Burden??????????? That's a song they should put BACK in the playlist.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 20, 2005 13:39

Reptile Wrote:
> it suprises me though they don't play great songs like under my thumb anymore. what happened to that one? after 81/82 it just disappeard.

They played it quite a lot in 97/98.

Date: June 20, 2005 13:41

Under My Thumb was a great song......bring it back.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 20, 2005 13:58

Whoops wrong subject

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-20 14:03 by Rockman.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 20, 2005 14:03

Heehee...Hold back. What an awful @#$%& song. The guitars aren't so bad, except being sort of boring. But that vocal. Jagger was all in his Primitive Cool vibe. Truly terrib;le. Oh mon dieu.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 20, 2005 15:12

I don't mind the warhorses, but the Stones shoud change the arrangements more often. Give a new twist to the songs. The best example is of course SFTD. Leave out the pre-recorded drums. Change it, for God sake!
And please, no horns where they aren't needed (satisfaction, miss you, JJF). Just keep it simple and short. Back to basics as far as music's concerned.

--> E.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 20, 2005 19:01

I think the problem is they have so many hits but only play the same 5 or 6 at the end of every show for the past 30 years.

IORR
Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Tumbling Dice
Jumpin Jack Flash

Can easily be substituted with songs like

19th Nervous Breakdown
Get Off My Cloud
Mother's Little Helper
Under My Thumb
Heart Of Stone

Both fans (hardcore and average) would know these songs and it would be a good way to please more people. They have too many hits to play the same ones all the time. And now that songs like You Got Me Rocking are played almost every night this gives them less room to work in some great old songs that are not even that obscure like As Tears Go By or Tell Me.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: June 20, 2005 21:06

mr edward Wrote:
> I don't mind the warhorses, but the Stones shoud
> change the arrangements more often. Give a new
> twist to the songs.

I agree with Mr Edward on this one. I think it's not a setlist problem, but mainly an arrangement problem. If you listen to any JJF version from 69 and another one from 72 you can tell which one is playing without looking at the cover art. On the other hand, Tumbling Dice, for example, has been played with almost the same arrangements since 89... This is what gets fans tired of warhorses, not the warhorses themselves, IMHO.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: June 20, 2005 23:37

also an interesting topic, contrary of wish list

me personally I cant imagine a tour with no songs like Paint it black or Miss you once in a while.
On the other hand, songs like Satisfaction or Honky Tonk Woman, and most of all Tumbling Dice!

Brown Sugar they need to play a lot more rougher in my opinion

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 20, 2005 23:44

among the problems with re-arranging the warhorses is rehearsal time. They barely have enough time to:

1) learn the new songs from the new disc that they are going to trot out (didn't have to worry about this on Licks (cept the one song)

2) figure out what from the back catalogue they want to play and then learn them anew

That would leave precious little time to "unlearn" the pat arrangements on the warhorses and learn the new ones. You can bet that's one of the reasons they don't re-arrange these - I'll bet they don't even bother rehearsing stuff like HTW - figure that can wait for a late sound-check if at all....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 20, 2005 23:46

Not having live thru a Stones concert yet, I picture HTW brings out all the
brain damaged yuppies spillin beer & behavin like cretins... But maybe I wanna see that...

HTW. Let it rest.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: June 21, 2005 03:46

erikjjf,

They did play it sparingly on the bridges to bab tour and it sounded great I would love to see it every show.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: June 21, 2005 12:07

I don't mind most of the warhorses like JJF and Satisfaction. They should be on every show, but cut them down to the original 3:30 min. and not this 7-10 min. long versions with horns etc.

Sjouke

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 21, 2005 12:23

Yeah, Sjoukje; or a five minutes medley with Satisfaction, HTW & SMU & some more... To get it over with... Even if the SMU-version was the best I´ve heard since it was fresh & crisp.

Date: June 21, 2005 13:08

Tumblin' Dice
YCAGWYW
You Got Me Rocking
Miss You
Satisfaction

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: June 21, 2005 14:00

Satisfaction
You Can't Always Get What You Want But If You Try Sometimes You Might Find You Get ...
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Out Of Control
Sparks Will Fly
Satisfaction

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 21, 2005 15:38

TWFNO
Sway
;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Waltraud ()
Date: June 21, 2005 15:43

1st Miss You

Alternates: Hot Stuff, Dance (Sex Drive from a 62 year old would bee a bit ironic)

2nd Like A Rolling Stone

Alternates: ?

3rd You Got Me Rocking

Altenates: Why not Highwire, Winning Ugly or Dirty Work?

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 12, 2015 11:51

while i love Miss You and Tumbling Dice, their renditions in 2013 were so tired it's probably best to shelve them for a while.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 12, 2015 11:59

This zombiethread is approx. 4 Tours old eye popping smiley

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:00

Nikkei
This zombiethread is approx. 4 Tours old eye popping smiley

oops.
but still, i don't want to hear tumbling dice or miss you.

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:17

Please Mick no disco! Disco sucked in 1978,and guess what? It sucks more now!
Emotional Rescue and Miss You need to be eliminated permanently!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home