Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: SONGS YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ON THIS TOUR.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:03

DandelionPowderman
I don't remember Wood playing on the studio version, which I referred to.

The other things you say don't apply to that version. So, what do we have left? Yep, Taylor's lead guitar...

Not to forget Cooder's excellent work on the original + that it is in a better key for Mick to sing in. The tension? How can the tension of the original be improved?

As to the studio version (good as it is), yes, I think Ya Yas improves on it in the same way it improves on the studio version of Midnight Rambler. Why is that opinion so surprising? The studio version is a pleasant acoustic treatment of a traditional blues, the Ya Yas version is a band on fire, who has had time to play the song and really get it to gel.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:09

71Tele
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
But it is because of Taylor's solo guitar?

In the version I posted Taylor's solo's are pretty prominent and awesome so I'd have to agree that's a big part of it. But no doubt he is also inspiring the others in the band with his playing. The overall effect is stunning.

peace

Thank you. Some people continue to claim that removing Taylor from the group simply replaces one guitarists solos with another's. This is the single biggest mistake people make about why people prefer the version of the band with Taylor. The entire playing dynamic was different. It is like removing a major ingredient from a recipe. It changes the whole dish.

Indeed. Probably no coincidence I liked Keith's playing better in that period too. Even Charlie has talked about being inspired by Taylor's playing.

Anyway, hoping they can only find the right tempo and feel for Sway and Moonlight Mile this time out...maybe they should play along with the record in rehearsal or something to try to capture what made those two songs so great.

peace

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:15

Gimme Shelter -- there's one spot in particular that has become atrocious. At one time it was excellent but now a certain person who is untouchable on this board as far as an ounce of criticism is concerned can't pull off their part.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:19

Slackersfaction
Jar Jar Flush
Stale Brown Sugar
I Won't Miss You
Horkey Tork Woo man
You Can't Always Get to Enjoy This Song
It's Only Rock & Roll (but I Yawn at it)
Get Off My Setlist
Fumbling Mice
Oh No! Not This Song Again!
Sympathy For the Audience
Not Happy
Before They Make Me Leave
Wild Hosers Could Drag Me Away (Eh?)
Gimmie Shelter From This Song
winking smiley

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:20

funny

Date: May 13, 2015 21:30

Naturalust
71Tele
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
But it is because of Taylor's solo guitar?

In the version I posted Taylor's solo's are pretty prominent and awesome so I'd have to agree that's a big part of it. But no doubt he is also inspiring the others in the band with his playing. The overall effect is stunning.

peace

Thank you. Some people continue to claim that removing Taylor from the group simply replaces one guitarists solos with another's. This is the single biggest mistake people make about why people prefer the version of the band with Taylor. The entire playing dynamic was different. It is like removing a major ingredient from a recipe. It changes the whole dish.

Indeed. Probably no coincidence I liked Keith's playing better in that period too. Even Charlie has talked about being inspired by Taylor's playing.

Anyway, hoping they can only find the right tempo and feel for Sway and Moonlight Mile this time out...maybe they should play along with the record in rehearsal or something to try to capture what made those two songs so great.

peace

A big problem with songs like that is not Taylor vs. Wood. It's Mick. He doesn't take the performances seriously and so seems to be doing these songs grudgingly or wanting to rush through them. Totally kills the vibe of a tune like MM or Sway.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:32

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

The other things you say don't apply to that version. So, what do we have left? Yep, Taylor's lead guitar...

Not to forget Cooder's excellent work on the original + that it is in a better key for Mick to sing in. The tension? How can the tension of the original be improved?

As to the studio version (good as it is), yes, I think Ya Yas improves on it in the same way it improves on the studio version of Midnight Rambler. Why is that opinion so surprising? The studio version is a pleasant acoustic treatment of a traditional blues, the Ya Yas version is a band on fire, who has had time to play the song and really get it to gel.

surely it's a matter of taste. in my opinion, the studio version is more intimate, more confessional, more raw, while the live version is more produced - yes, gelled - which for some is not an improvement. i prefer the studio version.

Date: May 13, 2015 21:37

Bsebastian
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

surely it's a matter of taste. in my opinion, the studio version is more intimate, more confessional, more raw, while the live version is more produced - yes, gelled - which for some is not an improvement. i prefer the studio version.

Fair enough. At least you're not telling me why I prefer the Ya Yas version unlike some people. smoking smiley

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 14, 2015 01:22

JTHanis
Gimme Shelter -- there's one spot in particular that has become atrocious. At one time it was excellent but now a certain person who is untouchable on this board as far as an ounce of criticism is concerned can't pull off their part.

You ain't kidding just watched the MFG from Perth.....and SHE is awful.....it's sad really

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:21

TD
Miss You
IORR
SFTD
YCAGWYW
Satisfaction
HTW

Date: May 14, 2015 02:24

Bsebastian
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:36

I don't want to hear anymore in concert

The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Flight 505
Citadel
Till The Next Goodbye

More seriously (knowing that I would love to hear those 4 previous songs - with Mick Taylor on the last one), I think they should stop playing live

SFT Devil
T Dice
IORR
Start Me Up
HTW
Miss You
I am really tired to hear those numbers to each concert !!!

And I cannot imagine a concert without JJF and Brown Sugar

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:47

No HTW, pleeeeeeze...

I got that wish in Shanghai and it was *ACE*!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:49

My favorite song of all time is Gimme Shelter. That being said, I've had enough of it live post Paradiso. Mick and Lisa's banter is a little tired.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 14, 2015 02:57

jazzbass
My favorite song of all time is Gimme Shelter. That being said, I've had enough of it live post Paradiso. Mick and Lisa's banter is a little tired.

i agree. and while it's my favorite song of all time, i've never really liked it live. the spookiness of the studio version disappears.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 14, 2015 07:37

I totally agree with Gaza.

Why is YGMR given such a high profile when Mick writes the setlist?

I have to admit...When they did that show at MSG in Dec 2012 for Hurricane Sandy...I couldn't believe that was the 1 of 2 songs they played...and I couldn't believe they only played 2 songs...Instead of playing 7 minute versions of YGMR and JJF...they should have added 1 more song and played the studio timings.

I guess Mick thinks that's the last crowd pleaser they wrote...but I think
"Saint of Me" works much better.

PECMAN

Date: May 14, 2015 11:53

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Ok. Let's agree to disagree.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 14, 2015 12:53

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Ok. Let's agree to disagree.

Talking about studio versions...I heard something last night when a friend called me...more about that in your mail!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 14, 2015 16:20

So with every song they have ever created now on this list...
all that reamins is herman's hermits and Monkeees songs...

;)

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 14, 2015 16:26

miss you , you got me rocking and iorr .

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home